APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1986.12.23 - The Cathouse, Los Angeles, USA

4 posters

Go down

1986.12.23 - The Cathouse, Los Angeles, USA Empty 1986.12.23 - The Cathouse, Los Angeles, USA

Post by Soulmonster Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:43 am

Date:
December 23, 1986.

Venue:
The Cathouse.

Setlist:
(Unknown setlist)

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Izzy Stradlin (rhythm guitarist), Slash (lead guitarist), Duff McKagan (bass) and Steven Adler (drums).

Notes:
Acoustic show.

1986.12.23 - The Cathouse, Los Angeles, USA Rightarrow Next concert: 1987.03.16.
1986.12.23 - The Cathouse, Los Angeles, USA Leftarrow Previous concert: 1986.12.21.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76232

Back to top Go down

1986.12.23 - The Cathouse, Los Angeles, USA Empty Re: 1986.12.23 - The Cathouse, Los Angeles, USA

Post by Soulmonster Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:16 am

From LAist.com's article about important LA places:

The Cathouse

You might know Riki Rachtman from his stint as host of the famed Headbangers Ball on MTV. Before that, he'd prepped for the role by immersing himself in the L.A. rock scene.

Among his venues was the (now defunct) Cathouse, a club that cropped up on Tuesday nights in a disco by the corner of La Cienega and San Vicente. As Rachtman explained to LA Weekly, it only turned up on Tuesdays because the weekends were "amateur nights"; only the most zealous (and professional?) of partiers would show their faces in the middle of the week. Furthermore, a no-cameras policy, as well as an optional membership card that offered you a lower cover fee, provided an extra barrier against the poseurs.

The Cathouse would indeed develop a reputation for being the most no holds barred of L.A. parties. The promise of next-level hedonism would draw out nascent celebrities like Robert Downey Jr. and Johnny Depp, as well as established names like Robert Plant (sidenote: Christina Applegate was said to have worked coat-check on occasion).

As for the club's ties with GnR, the band was hanging out there before Appetite had even materialized. The band threw a release party for their 1986 EP, Live Like a Suicide, and played an acoustic set as part of the festivities. Slash would drop in during the recording of Appetite, and is said to have walked through a plate glass window one night while lost in a haze. Also, Rose had pushed for Rachtman to land the gig on Headbangers Ball. " [Axl] was a really, really big part of me getting the job. So people that hated me on the show, blame him!" Rachtman told LA Weekly.

While very few pictures exist of the club (thanks to the no-cameras policy), the party would be immortalized in the music videos for both "It's So Easy" (it was filmed at the club) and "Paradise City" (where Rose dons a t-shirt advertising the Cathouse).
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

1986.12.23 - The Cathouse, Los Angeles, USA Empty Re: 1986.12.23 - The Cathouse, Los Angeles, USA

Post by Soulmonster Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:33 pm

This concert was mentioned in the band's 6th newsletter:

"You ... Yeah you – the hardcore faction of our support, are invited to our “Live?!*@ Like A Suicide” release party at: Tame and Ricky’s Cathouse 333 La Cienega Blvd. (Osko’s) L.A., Ca. Phone # (213) 652-9333 –

It’s free! ... Yeah, free, with invitation till 11:00 pm., party starts at 9:00 pm. With ... $1.00 drinks till 11:00 pm., mayhem till 3:00 am., including: Live (not dead) strippers, free records, and assorted entertainment –
" [Guns N' Roses Newsletter No. 6, December 1986].
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

1986.12.23 - The Cathouse, Los Angeles, USA Empty Live Like A Suicide release party, Dec 23, 1986

Post by Soulmonster Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:57 pm

I believe these are a couple of shots from the Live Like A Suicide release party at the Cathouse on Dec 23, 1986. Marc Canter has an image in the book where he mentions the show, but it shows Slash playing an electric guitar and the release part was acoustic.

You can see someone holding the vinyl up in the air.

It seems like a bash with all kinds of guys playing.

Anyone seen these pictures before?

1986.12.23 - The Cathouse, Los Angeles, USA Uten_n50
1986.12.23 - The Cathouse, Los Angeles, USA Uten_n49
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:05 am

Yes, the pictures are by Richard King. He has more from that and other early shows on his facebook:

1986.12.23 - The Cathouse, Los Angeles, USA 1986_112

https://www.facebook.com/RichardKingPics/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85695

ludurigan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:30 am

That's cool! He might have violated the no photos rule at the Cathouse!
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Shackler Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:49 pm

Riki Rachtman spoke about this gig during a livestream on Facebook celebrating The Cathouse's 35th anniversary, September 23, 2021.

Riki Rachtman wrote:[The Cathouse] just got bigger and bigger, and I said 'I just want it to stay a rock & roll dance club'. Everybody was like 'Hey, when are you gonna have a band play?' The reason I didn't wanna have a band play The Cathouse is if I had a band play, let's say I had Motörhead, it'd be like 'Dude, Motörhead's playing The Cathouse!' then the next Tuesday comes along and it's 'You wanna go to the Cathouse', 'Who's playing?', 'I don't know if anybody's playing', 'Forget it, we'll go next week' and I didn't want it to be a live venue. [...] I kept that rule about no bands playing for a long time [...] [Then] Axl or Steven said to me 'Hey, we're coming out with this EP called 'Live?!★@ Like a Suicide', can we do a record release party at The Cathouse?' and I was like 'Yeah, okay' [...] and he's like 'Can we just play acoustic?' and I'm like 'Yeah okay, you're gonna do this Christmas party and we're gonna let you play acoustic', it's the first time anyone has ever played The Cathouse. The very first night we had bands play, it was Guns N' Roses, L.A. Guns, Faster Pussycat, and Jetboy; all playing acoustic and it was absolutely incredible, and that really put Cathouse on the map.
Shackler
Shackler

Plectra : 2702

Soulmonster, ludurigan and Blackstar like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:31 am

Wow great info and great photos! Never seen any of them! If I was a book editor I would just do a Richard King Guns n' Roses big size photo book right now!
ludurigan
ludurigan

Plectra : 5311

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:12 am

Shackler wrote:Riki Rachtman spoke about this gig during a livestream on Facebook celebrating The Cathouse's 35th anniversary, September 23, 2021.

Riki Rachtman wrote:[The Cathouse] just got bigger and bigger, and I said 'I just want it to stay a rock & roll dance club'. Everybody was like 'Hey, when are you gonna have a band play?' The reason I didn't wanna have a band play The Cathouse is if I had a band play, let's say I had Motörhead, it'd be like 'Dude, Motörhead's playing The Cathouse!' then the next Tuesday comes along and it's 'You wanna go to the Cathouse', 'Who's playing?', 'I don't know if anybody's playing', 'Forget it, we'll go next week' and I didn't want it to be a live venue. [...] I kept that rule about no bands playing for a long time [...] [Then] Axl or Steven said to me 'Hey, we're coming out with this EP called 'Live?!★@ Like a Suicide', can we do a record release party at The Cathouse?' and I was like 'Yeah, okay' [...] and he's like 'Can we just play acoustic?' and I'm like 'Yeah okay, you're gonna do this Christmas party and we're gonna let you play acoustic', it's the first time anyone has ever played The Cathouse. The very first night we had bands play, it was Guns N' Roses, L.A. Guns, Faster Pussycat, and Jetboy; all playing acoustic and it was absolutely incredible, and that really put Cathouse on the map.

Excellent! History section updated: https://www.a-4-d.com/t4942p30-06-january-december-1986-getting-signed#24006

Thank you, @Shackler!
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

ludurigan and Shackler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:00 am

This quote might be about an earlier, informal show at the Cathouse and not the one on December 23, 1986, since GN'R was signed by then. Still, I have a hunch Rachtman is wrong and that he is referring to the Live Like A Suicide release show.

The very first live performance at Cathouse was Guns N' Roses, Jet Boy, LA Guns, and Faster Pussycat, all taking turns playing acoustic; nobody had record deals. We probably had five hundred people there. Nobody knew Guns N' Roses would become the biggest band in the world.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

ludurigan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:12 am

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85695

Soulmonster and ludurigan like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:37 am

I can not even begin to imagine how great it must have been this acoustic live show!

I can't help dreaming that someone, somehow has recorded it and will find it and make it available in the near future!
ludurigan
ludurigan

Plectra : 5311

Blackstar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down