APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1987.12.26 - Telephone interview with Axl

Go down

1987.12.26 - Telephone interview with Axl

Post by Soulmonster on Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:41 am

Transcript (automatic from Youtube with my additions):

yes I like room 207 please seven yes

hello my name is Steve Harris I'm calling yes

What's happening guy? This is Axl. Hold on, let me get a cigarette. [Axl asks someone to look in his leather jacket].

oh okay ah well we were kind of a little bit worried that you know in the middle of your big victory return there you'd be out partying instead of waiting at the hotel for the phone call

No, I am kinda setting up for the party to come to me.

So, now that you're back home, how's the crowd reaction are they twice as crazy as before?

I don't know, we haven't played yet. We play tomorrow night. I just came back from, I just got in yesterday. I'm from Indiana and I hadn't been there for 2-3 years and I went back to visit my family and my friends and stuff - that was hectic. To have a moment of free time.

why did you decide to fit that right in before the the homecoming there?

Well just because it was like I hadn't been back in two years and the last time I was back there -- it was at least two years and a half years -- I thought I just told myself I'm not coming back until I get a record out, because too many people kept saying "oh, you'll never get anywhere." So I got three days I can go back and just see what it was for three days, and it was great.

Has you always been known as the town rock and roller back then?

A bit, yeah, a bit. But you have to remember that in Indiana, people are really, uhm, opinionated, biased, and things like that. So I have a real open mind and listen to a lot of material, but listening to a lot of material, you listen to Rolling Stone, then you're a fag, you know, people think like that back there. They call you all kinds of different names depending on what you listen to, and since I listen to everything I was called everything in the book all at once, heh.

Huh. Things were still that way when you were growing up, but you're not that old.

Uhm, no, I am 25, I will be 26 in February.

So 10 years ago people were still thinking like that, huh?

Oh yeah, oh yeah, Indiana is really closed off from the rest of the world, maybe not Chicago too much, but even Chicago is a huge city but it is not like L.A. or New York or in Texas or Florida. The Midwest just likes to keep itself to itself and everybody else has a problem. That's how they look at it, you know. It's like they don't venture out from the world while people from Texas they go to L.A. or to New York on vacations and stuff. But it's not like that in the Midwest, people don't get out that much.

What do you have to listen to to be considered normal there?

It used to be Lynyrd Skynyrd and Aerosmith, which I was amazed about Aerosmith because Tyler wore makeup [?], you know, back then with the [?]. For some reason it was okay for Tyler but not okay for Mick [?].

[Harris laughing]

It's kind of weird but there was a certain group of kids, you know, a certain group of people, and they grew in numbers and they had a big influence on me.

do you think that sort of conservatism led you in the direction you were to go in with with a sort of a backlash?

yeah but I've drawn from the conservatism itself. I've found places where I can be considered a conservative. I've drawn from both sides. I always work at trying to put things back together. you know because [?] why stay back together as people will have an opinion and and so immediately before they've even met they're not together, no, and when I say 'back together' it means that we could be friends, you know, and in like five years we can work it out, be able to understand each other. I have talked with some guys that I've gone through every year of school with, and we didn't really understand each other until this time. And they weren't being talking to me  because I was a rocker, they were talking to me, you know, because they finally had some respect for me. And they were going, "Well he's not just full of crap." So many kids back then talked about being in a band, they talked about getting out there. But it's all talk. It's all talk. It's all wishes and pipe dreams and things. No one goes out and really puts the balls on the line.

Why is that?

Scared. It's easier to live at home in Indiana with your parents, you know, work at your parents job and stuff like that. It's what everybody else does. Most people don't take that step out.

For you, when did that big break come, when did you decide that you were gonna bust out and move?

Well, when I got kicked out. [laughter] When I got told to leave. When I got told, "cut your hair," and I said, "no," and they said, "go," and I said, "I'm leaving." You know, but that was like when I was 16, but now my dad is like one of my closest friends I have. It's taken us 10 years to build up that kind of relationship, but we worked at it a little by little and it didn't start happening just because of my band, it didn't [?] just happen this year. It's been coming back together over the last five years.

You're being his son, he must surely understand your rebellious spirit cuz I'm sure that exist in him as well?

Yeah I was telling a friend, just recently, who still has hard feelings against my father. I was telling him, I was going, "yeah, one reason dad was so hard on me was because he didn't know that I was following the things he taught me to do, you know, to go for your dreams and things. He thought I was messed up he [seems like the tape is cut off at this point]

How'd you pay for the cab?

[Axl calling for his dog, Torque]

It's my dog, I haven't seen him in four months. [Harris laughs] That's the famous dog they said I'd go murdering [?] [Harris laughs]

I don't want to break up a tearful reunion, they said you're were murdering your dog in England?

[Axl keeps talking to Torque]

Okay, where we at?

You were talking about how they said you were murdered your dog in England. What's the story behind that?

Oh, I don't like poodles. Little poodles. I told some guys everything about poodles makes you want to kill them so the next thing you know there's this magazine in England, and it wasn't even a rock magazine, it was like a magazine that talks [?] about all kinds of things in the world and stuff and it talks about this band in LA where this guy's a self-confessed poodle murderer. [Harris laughs] So then they have like the National Enquirer type papers over there, you know, that sadly started all this stuff, and all those things came out calling me a dog butcher and that I was beastier than Beastie Boys

Aha. Is that rather representative of the type of treatment you received by the British press?

Oh well it worked out good and bad, you know, but it was kind of fun [?], but now, you know, there's things in magazines here, like Hit Parader, where they quoted Slash saying I ran over dogs and he never said that.

Well if it makes you feel any better we now have the duck, the barking dog on tape here, which we will use as evidence to [interrupted]

[Axl calling to someone called "Dante" saying that the interviewer said that Torque's on tape so he's gonna say he's alive so I don't murder little dogs] [Harris laughs]

See, Torque is like, [?], I got him when he was just really, really little, my father was explaining how he imprinted off me. So he never imprinted off other dogs and things, so he thinks he's a person, and all the rockers that came around, it's funny, everybody hates little dogs, but this dog is like a party dog, funny.

He's your Spuds McKenzie.

Yeah, if Spuds was a girl and had puppies [?]

Getting back to England here, your success there was rather phenomenal, as a matter of fact among the current wave of L.A. bands. Perhaps you stand out as the most successful band in England. I guess you started at the Marquee and went to Hammersmith Odeon rather quickly. What's behind a success there, what do you think is that make people [?] England whereas they turn a cold shoulder to everybody else from LA?

Well, you know, I think it's kind of like if you think back in the 70s and stuff a lot of things, like Hendrix went over to England to break, you know. And a lot of bands, a lot of real blues bands, hard rocking blues bands have gone to England to break, you know, or [?] England. And it's like, they were glad to see it [?] they think a lot of things are pretentious. You know, they're not into a lot of the new bands. They like them, they are okay, 'cause that's what's there is out there, but they think its a lot pretentious, and they thought we were the same way. But then we went over there and showed that we weren't, and they like that, and they just start catching on.

. You know you know and we're doing well the people more likely to react to the live performance so-called Hall was full of Slammers today's divers and people jumping on the balconies jumping off amplifiers others shows we did a show in Manchester the people just stood there they all stood up the whole time right and some of them they sang the songs and stuff but not as much as other places we were having so much problem with feedback on stage I didn't know that the people in the crowd weren't hearing it through the main PA was just our monitor system and so we didn't we came back and did one song on corn we left okay and we went up to our room didn't think they liked it right well then about 15 minutes later they started screaming we didn't know up cuz we were like three stories up in this room security was keeping thereby away from him and and then at the reviews of the show the world's greatest yeah it was very surprising we thought they hated us but basically they were kind of best for us with that experience under your belt now you think you to approach like say a future world tour differently I mean what did you learn from that yes well we like it we gained a lot more confidence you know in working the stage you know and I'm dealing with crowds and then you know then we came back and we did a club tour of New York which was a lot like you know New York and Philly and Boston and stuff like that which was a lot like playing New York with a lot like playing LA you know we had to win those people over and then we went out with Molly and that was that was pretty insane you know just like any night that we did two nights in a row the first night you know we could have gone but if we did two nights in a row when we came back to the second night they were like whoa now we know who these guys are the first time people see us a lot of times unless they're really heard has been really into a bit more into watching and checking us out you know I'm watching every little thing yeah but like by this time you do a second night they lose their minds you know they were like yeah now I can let myself go it's it's cool to act like I like guys hmm some of you guys are gonna plugged into something you have sort of a special chemistry to really turn people on from stage lower being very real it's not an act it's not like a little it's not like this I get we put together the night before because we think the kids will like it you know it's something we want to do you know we don't like to plan things except planning this long list and I always gonna play that by how the credits going what's not gonna do in a row kind of sometimes I'll change it do they know right now we're using thread Cory from Cinderella because our drummer has a broken hand and so I haven't read a really good friends with the red fluid and Fred knows all the songs did he has time off right now and so the other night playing with Alice Cooper well it sounds like you show the quite a workout for you guys as well you find it try to draining oh yeah how do you stay spin root for the show you marry just like that I get lots of rest I know for me personally it's like I'd like to party as much as the other guys but you know it's like they don't have to worry about if they're able to you know they can get up play the guitar you think I tried before over the next day you know doesn't hurt my energy so much and running around but it where it's Xmas versus right visit my boys know you're able to suspect I gotta promise me I can't really go party unless I know I hope she days off he you said that this tour of England was basically the first one outside in LA right so I get you ready for the long haul oh yeah you know we keep that from England and we did we did this whole thing before I want that came with you you for months and a half with the cult through Canada and then down the west coast Louisiana you know the Southwest and then we did England we came back and we did close for two weeks on the East Coast and then we went with Molly for a month and then we went for Alice Cooper for two weeks and we've had like three four days off and we'll be doing these four shows here then we have a museum party that we have to play and then we're doing this show on the fifth and in the meantime we'll be in the rehearsal studios the whole time they were going back with Molly for two weeks in Europe and then we're trying to get um another band to go with the spring what I like a lot is the fact that we're going out doing all kinds of different things rather than just sitting and waiting we're rather than going out with you know a big long year tour with one band or with two bands this way we get all this different experiences in one year by the end of but by next summer we'll be like the veteran touring band that's been touring for like five years we learn real quick you would make we make fast moves and changes you know okay it's better to have this kind of oxygen pass that's better to have this kind of guitarist and it's better to have this you know thanks to make it run smoother yeah you guys aren't working at a remarkable pace right now who's responsible for putting the schedule together so tightly one is we work with our drive us one because we we do not like to sit on our ass because then we just get into drugs and trouble yeah just because we could so bored these people hurt these people pretty much experienced it I guess in the field that they know how to set up up-and-coming bana and put you on the right course yeah and also we have an idea of what we want to do it would be good for us to all that you have like an any same mentors people you want to aspire to become would be a great opening four hours Cooper it's funny we leave our Cooper on today and go back go backstage and get our showers and have an old Alice Cooper taped in the deck plank just not because we were on to ortho scoopers because it's tough we listen it's kind of funny to mention Motley Crue because not to the magazine I'm doing this interview for one of the reasons they want to do this interview is so like well one of the reasons they wanted to do this interview is so they could sort of clear up a misunderstanding here you seem to be compared a lot to bands like Motley Crue however just discard from the magazine put together the questions here he seems to think that there's a little something deeper going on in this kinda the showbiz flash of the Motley Crue

Last edited by Soulmonster on Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:30 pm; edited 13 times in total
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 51533

Back to top Go down

Re: 1987.12.26 - Telephone interview with Axl

Post by Johan on Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:07 am

I guess not Steve Harris from Iron Maiden?
Johan

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 4909

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster on Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:21 am

I doubt it. Can you see the videos by the way? I can't see them from Photobucket so I will probably upload them to Youtube instead.
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 51533

Back to top Go down

Post by Johan on Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:22 am

I can see them now, doing what you advised my in settings. and I'm quite sure it's indeed just some random guy named Steve Harris.
Johan

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 4909

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum