APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1988.02.12 - Celebrity Theatre, Phoenix, USA

Go down

1988.02.12 - Celebrity Theatre, Phoenix, USA Empty 1988.02.12 - Celebrity Theatre, Phoenix, USA

Post by Soulmonster Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:10 pm

Date:
February 12, 1988.

Venue:
Celebrity Theatre.

Setlist:
01. It's So Easy
02. Mr. Brownstone
03. Move to the City
04. Out Ta Get Me
05. Sweet Child O'Mine
06. My Michelle
07. Rocket Queen
08. Used to Love Her
09. Welcome to the Jungle
10. Patience
11. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
12. You're Crazy
13. Nightrain

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Izzy Stradlin (rhythm guitarist), Slash (lead guitarist), Duff McKagan (bass) and Steven Adler (drums).

1988.02.12 - Celebrity Theatre, Phoenix, USA Rightarrow Next concert: 1988.03.31.
1988.02.12 - Celebrity Theatre, Phoenix, USA Leftarrow Previous concert: 1988.02.10.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76232

Back to top Go down

1988.02.12 - Celebrity Theatre, Phoenix, USA Empty Re: 1988.02.12 - Celebrity Theatre, Phoenix, USA

Post by Soulmonster Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:07 pm

Axl left during Nightrain and the band ends the show with a drum solo and a blues jam. What happened at this show, and made him refuse to go on stage on the following night, on the 13th, is not known.

The following excerpts Vulture is probably about the show that was intended to play the date after, e.g. February 13:

On the night of this gig, promoter Danny Zelisko was attending a roast for a colleague across town when he got a call from the venue. “Man, you better get down here right away,” Zelisko recalls the manager telling him. “This place is going to explode.” Because the show was rocking? Nope. The audience was raging because, Zelisko explains, “the opening act had been on for 90 minutes and Axl wouldn’t come out of his hotel room.” The crowd got so unruly that the city’s riot squad showed up outside the theater.

Inside, Zelisko huddled with Alan Niven, GNR’s then-manager, and asked, “Does Axl do this often?” Niven replied, “Nah, not really, but tonight he’s not going to come.” Zelisko wondered, “How are we going to get out of this building alive?” He turned to Niven: “You have a nice British accent. You make the announcement. I’m not getting torched.” Niven did, saying that Rose had “throat problems.” After some tense moments, the crowd dispersed peacefully. As a make-good, the band agreed to return to play a benefit show later in the year. “I said, ‘You guys have to come the day before the show,’ ” recounts Zelisko, “ ‘and come to my house for a BBQ so I know you’re in town and not acting up.’ ” Everyone appeared, except Axl. (Who, to his credit, did play the rescheduled concert.)
Source: http://www.vulture.com/2016/03/concert-promoters-share-their-gnr-war-stories.html

Due to this no-show at the February 13 date, the band fired Axl.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

1988.02.12 - Celebrity Theatre, Phoenix, USA Empty Re: 1988.02.12 - Celebrity Theatre, Phoenix, USA

Post by Soulmonster Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:02 pm

According to Circus Magazine, May 1988, Axl "collapsed on stage" and as a result, the band "decided to relinquish their opening slot on David Lee Roth's trek and take a six-week breather before returning to the road with AC/DC" [Circus Magazine, May 1988].

Of course, the the AC/DC tour never happened.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Tue May 09, 2023 1:29 pm

On the night of this gig, promoter Danny Zelisko was attending a roast for a colleague across town when he got a call from the venue. “Man, you better get down here right away,” Zelisko recalls the manager telling him. “This place is going to explode.” Because the show was rocking? Nope. The audience was raging because, Zelisko explains, “the opening act had been on for 90 minutes and Axl wouldn’t come out of his hotel room.” The crowd got so unruly that the city’s riot squad showed up outside the theater.

Inside, Zelisko huddled with Alan Niven, GNR’s then-manager, and asked, “Does Axl do this often?” Niven replied, “Nah, not really, but tonight he’s not going to come.” Zelisko wondered, “How are we going to get out of this building alive?” He turned to Niven: “You have a nice British accent. You make the announcement. I’m not getting torched.” Niven did, saying that Rose had “throat problems.” After some tense moments, the crowd dispersed peacefully. As a make-good, the band agreed to return to play a benefit show later in the year. “I said, ‘You guys have to come the day before the show,’ ” recounts Zelisko, “ ‘and come to my house for a BBQ so I know you’re in town and not acting up.’ ” Everyone appeared, except Axl. (Who, to his credit, did play the rescheduled concert.)
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down