APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1988.09.17 - Texas Stadium, Irving, USA

2 posters

Go down

1988.09.17 - Texas Stadium, Irving, USA Empty 1988.09.17 - Texas Stadium, Irving, USA

Post by Soulmonster Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:52 pm

Date:
September 17, 1988.

Venue:
Texas Stadium.

Setlist:
01. You're Crazy
02. It's So Easy
03. Mr. Brownstone
04. Patience
05. Welcome to the Jungle
06. Sweet Child O'Mine
07.Paradise City

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Izzy Stradlin (rhythm guitarist), Slash (lead guitarist), Duff McKagan (bass) and Steven Adler (drums).

Quotes:
We just did one date with [INXS] and, well, the gig itself was a disaster because it was in the Texas Stadium which has a big hole in the top and the hurricane Gilbert, or whatever it was, was forty miles south of us so it was pouring through the hole in the roof, and we were getting rained on, and the sound was crappy, you know[Interview Sessions, December 1988]
Two days after the end of the Aerosmith tour in September 1988, Guns played a strange festival-type gig at the home of the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. INXS headlined and the opening band included the Smithereens, Ziggy Markey and Iggy [Pop]. I was excited to meet [Iggy]. After the show, Iggy and I boh ended up at a party in the hotel suite of Michael Hutchence, the vocalist for INXS. I was nervous as hell to be in a room with Iggy, a guy who had inspired a dream that stuck with me for the rest of my life - a dream that cemented the direction of my life in many ways. So I commenced to get really fucked up. Michael Hutchence was already as famous for dating models and appearing in paparazzi photos as for singing "Need You Tonight," and I think Iggy felt as out of place as I did - so he joined me. We got fucked up together [Duff's autobiography, "It's So Easy", 2011, p. 136-137]
The show was the absolute worst we ever played. For some reason, the guys just weren't into it and the reason was simple: they wanted to go home. [...] To add to our misery, it was raining that day. We were in Texas Stadium, a partially covered arena that had a huge opening over the playing field. From the stag, I could see rain pouring down on the crowd, but we were kept mostly dry, except when it would get gusty. It was the weirdest-looking setup. We played out set in record time. just wanting to get it over with[Steven's autobiography, "My Appetite for Destruction", 2010, p. 174-175]

Slash: You have to give the kids, you know, or the people that comes to gigs, you gotta give them their moneys' worth. And you gotta be your best and be conscientious about the whole thing as a whole, and that's real important with us. When we do a crappy gig, we do like, get bummed out and go through...Sometimes it's funny. There's been funny things happening...

Duff: In Texas, yeah.

Slash: It was so bad, it wasn't...

Duff: It was just... This kid, I don't know if you saw this, it says like... Cause we played at like seven. This kid went home and said 10.15 Saturday night. 10.15 PM. He sent us a broken tape of ours. He broke it in half and sent this letter "I just got back from your gig and you guys sucked. I'll never buy a tape or come and see you guys again". OK...

Slash: If he'd known exactly what had gone on... I mean, see that's the things. There's no excuses, you know. If he'd known really what happened, maybe he'd understand.

Duff: Right. It was just the worst circumstances for a band, any band, that day, we went through. And the hurricane was like, 60 miles south. So, we played Texas stadium, where they have the... not a roof, but it's like, open. So the rain started... just pouring rain. And it came up on the stage and we're falling on our ass. The sound just... was terrible.

Slash: The sound was horrible.

Duff: It was horrible.

Slash: The vibe was bad. I mean, we were playing with somebody we didn't really like. And afterwards people were coming and saying "Great concert, man". And I was like, "Come on".

Duff: Give me a break.

Slash: It was like, the only thing about that was like, a bummer 'cause it was the last gig of the tour. [...]

Duff: Just like, put a needle in a balloon.

Slash: And the thing is... The main thing about that gig, it was, the ax were so diverse that it just didn't yell. The crowd was confused, the bands were confused.

Duff: And we had to walk like, miles to the stage.

Slash: 15 miles to the stage.

Duff: It was miles, you know. So, like you said, that kid, that's the only time...

Slash: I wish you hadn't told me that. That's a drag.

Duff: It was a real... I was at the office when the package came. It was like, "OK" [Interview with Duff and Slash, October 1988]

We don't think that we've made any serious fuck-ups in the course of our career. There are things that we regret but we never talk about. Like playing with INXS, for instance. Why? Because they're assholes. They wouldn't let us turn up the sound, they wouldn't allow us a sound-check, and no lighting show [New Musical Express, April 1989]
Looking at pictures in Robert John's photo book: This picture, right here with Ax, was at the Texas Stadium - the Cowboy Place, Dallas Stadium, whatever – and it was at the very end of our first two year tour. It was the last show, and it was the worst show we ever played. INXS was headlining and we were playing before them. We were supposed to play for about an hour and a half, and we played for about 45 minutes. The sound was terrible, the crowd – the show itself, the lineup was Iggy Pop, Ziggy Marley, The Replacements, us and INXS. I mean, it was really screwed up, so the crowd was really confused in general. And we were terrible. Then, a few months later, I got a cassette in the mail, Guns N’ Roses Appetite for Destruction broken in half. It was some former fan (laughs), who said after seeing us at the Texas Stadium that he would never listen to us again["Guns N' Roses: The Photographic History", Documentary, June 19, 1994].

1988.09.17 - Texas Stadium, Irving, USA Rightarrow Next concert: 1988.12.04.
1988.09.17 - Texas Stadium, Irving, USA Leftarrow Previous concert: 1988.09.15.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76232

Back to top Go down

1988.09.17 - Texas Stadium, Irving, USA Empty Re: 1988.09.17 - Texas Stadium, Irving, USA

Post by Soulmonster Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:38 pm

Description from Musician Magazine:

Texas Stadium, Dallas, and not a 10-gallon in sight. Back in the concrete bowels of the arena, where leathered rockers and their roadies confab with pot-bellied security guards and limo drivers, the sound from the stage is a blotch of noise. Out on the field it's about the same, only louder.
It's a hot afternoon with a tease of fain, like a barbeque pit that occasionally sizzles. Forty thousand kids are having a wind-ding, sampling an international pop smorgasbord that includes reggae prince Ziggy Marley, perennial cult icon Iggy Pop and Australians INXS, the headliners.
Running second on the bill this day is Hollywood garage band Guns N' Roses, whose debut album Appetite for Destruction has rather unexpectedly sold over six million copies, and whose "Sweet Child of Mind" is currently the nation's top-selling single. It's their last gig at the end of a nine-month tour, a chance to go out in a blaze of concert glory. There's just one problem: The band doesn't want to be here. They're wasted, they're cranky, they hate INXS. And, as usual, they're very upfront about their feelings. "What are they gonna do," cracks guitarist Izzy Stradlin, "kick us off the tour?"
The afterthought of Hurricane Gilbert begins to drizzle over the multitudes as the five members of Guns N' Roses - Axl, Izzy, lead guitarist Slash, bassist Duff McKagan and drummer Steve Adler - crank into "It's So Easy," their paean to the wild life; it's all they can do to move around without falling on the slippery stage. The band can't hear through their monitors as they slog through "Mr. Brownstone," Izzy's "little ditty about heroin," a ballad called "Patience" - "guess I could use a little, huh?" Axl says by way of introduction - a bluesy instrumental rave-up from Slash, and the band anthem, "Welcome to the Jungle."
It's a mess, but it works. Back in the bleachers, the faithful are singing along to every indecipherable word. Girls - and there are many - in Guns N' Roses wear scream like in old Beatles movies while their guys pump their fists forward. Is that static electricity in the air, or just plain sex?
Back onstage, the band's still pissed. "Guess nobody wants to play today," Axl admits, before taking soccer practice with one of the monitors. Next up is "Sweet Child," the crowd singing "where do we go?" with gospel fervor, as if Axl knew the answer. Then it's "Paradise City" and as quickly as they came the band is out of here, Duff smashing his bass in frustration, Slash cursing because he doesn't have a guitar to smash; "they forgot to bring a cheap one." It's less than 40 minutes into a scheduled 75-minute set. "Does it get any worse than this?" someone asks backstage, missing the point. Even at their worst, Guns N' Roses are real, and it connects. On the field the crowd is still cheering.

The following interview with the band is found here: https://www.a-4-d.com/t2899-1988-12-dd-musician-if-guns-n-roses-are-outlawed-only-outlaws-will-have-guns-n-roses#11373
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

1988.09.17 - Texas Stadium, Irving, USA Empty Re: 1988.09.17 - Texas Stadium, Irving, USA

Post by Blackstar Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:10 pm

From an interview with INXS in Q Magazine, January 1991:
Mention of Los Angeles and Bily Idol brings us on to Guns N' Roses' Axl Rose. "He wouldn't last ten minutes in a Melbourne bar," scoffs Tim. "All that macho, tough guy shit. He'd get killed."

"Axl's problem," says Hutchence tucking into his duck, "is that he's always looking for a fight. It's not just that he won't walk away, he actively looks for trouble. When Guns N' Roses were supporting us, his monitors weren't working properly so he came looking for me. He wanted to fight me! I was just thinking, Oh, Axl, grow up!"
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85695

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:20 pm

Being asked about the worst gig he ever played:

Guns n’ Roses playing Cowboys Stadium in Dallas in 1989. It was horrific. Everything that could go wrong went wrong and the band didn’t have enough experience to handle it properly. It was a huge disaster in front of 65,000 people. We fell apart on stage. It’s stuck with me ever since.

"Cowboys Stadium"? "Dallas"? Close enough.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down