APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1986.03.28 12AM - The Roxy, Los Angeles, USA

2 posters

Go down

1986.03.28 12AM - The Roxy, Los Angeles, USA Empty 1986.03.28 12AM - The Roxy, Los Angeles, USA

Post by Soulmonster Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:20 am

Date:
March 28, 1986, 12 AM.

Venue:
The Roxy.

Setlist:
01. Out Ta Get Me
02. Welcome to the Jungle
03. Think About You
04. Back Off Bitch
05. Nightrain
06. My Michelle
07. Paradise City
08. Mama Kin
09. Rocket Queen
10. Reckless Life
11. Anything Goes
12. Heartbreak Hotel
13. Don't Cry

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Izzy Stradlin (rhythm guitarist), Slash (lead guitarist), Duff McKagan (bass) and Steven Adler (drums).

Bootlegs:

Notes:
Two shows at the Roxy this day, one at 10 PM and the other at 12 AM.

Quotes:
Duff: We played a celebratory gig at the Roxy [after being signed to Geffen], or rather two - an early show and a late show - on March 28, 1986. To be honest, the shows had been booked prior to our signing with Geffen. They were supposed to be label showcases. Events overtook our plan, however, so we took out full-page ads in the local music papers to announce the gigs: Geffen recording artists Guns N' Roses, live at the Roxy. [...]. We all had fresh tattoos at the Roxy shows, and people wanted to touch them. We felt like we ran the city that night [Duff's autobiography, "It's So Easy", 2011, p. 114].

1986.03.28 12AM - The Roxy, Los Angeles, USA Rightarrow Next concert: 1986.04.05.
1986.03.28 12AM - The Roxy, Los Angeles, USA Leftarrow Previous concert: 1986.03.28 10PM.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76744

Back to top Go down

1986.03.28 12AM - The Roxy, Los Angeles, USA Empty Re: 1986.03.28 12AM - The Roxy, Los Angeles, USA

Post by Soulmonster Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:23 pm

1986.03.28 12AM - The Roxy, Los Angeles, USA 160406-guns-and-roses-1980s-05
Photo credit: Marc Canter
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

1986.03.28 12AM - The Roxy, Los Angeles, USA Empty Re: 1986.03.28 12AM - The Roxy, Los Angeles, USA

Post by Soulmonster Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:13 pm

The two shows on March 28 at the Roxy was mentioned in the band's fourth newsletter:

"So you’re down and out and think you’ve reached the end of the road? Finally, Friday, March 28th, ‘Guns N’ Roses’ does a double-header at the Roxy and like cold beer thrown in your face, the light at the end of the road at last shines! With the hardest rock band out of England, ‘Carrera’ opening the first show at 8:00 and L.A.’s own ‘Lions & Ghosts’ opening the second show at 10:00, it is sure to be the event of 1986. Our new stage show alone, will make you cum in your pants!" [Guns N' Roses Newsletter, March 1986].
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:23 pm

I found this page randomly on tumblr and I don't know which book or magazine its from (it isn't from Marc Canter's, is it?)
It has a description of the show and transcript of the talk between songs. Apparently there are more pages before:

https://i.servimg.com/u/f97/20/05/33/00/1986_012.jpg

When’s the last time you’ve been to the Whisky to see a rock band? Has it been a long fucking time? Is it about tucking time for the Whisky-A-Go-Go. Next Saturday night, we're playing the Whisky. We've got Faster Pussycat opening the show, we've got our good friends and bitchin’ band Shanghai that a lot of you haven't seen. Check 'em out. They'll kick your ass. Then we'll wanna shut that fucking place down and I need your help.

SLASH: The first and last time it's going to be open.

AXL: You wanna have a good time? This song is called "Paradise City."

AXL: This song I wanna dedicate to Vicky Hamilton, for putting up with me being a really weird fuck. I am just a pain in the ass. This song is called "Mama Kin."

AXL: We've got some funk rock for you. It’s about a badass woman called the Rocket Queen.

Slash used his B.C. Rich Mockingbird for "Rocket Queen" having broken a string on his Les Paul during "Mama Kin." This was the last time he played the Mockingbird before pawning it to raise quick cash. To his regret, he never retrieved that guitar - the first he ever owned - from the pawnshop.

DUFF: I wanna thank you guys all for coming down to the Roxy tonight. Are you guys having a good time? Thank you.

SLASH: C’mon, you can make more noise than that. Tear the fucking house down.

AXL: This is a song that we left out of the set earlier. This song is called "Reckless Life."

AXL (in a high pitch voice): Goodnight ladies and gentlemen.

SLASH: See you next weekend.

Axl said good night and exited. Pam Manning, a stripper friend of the band, came out on stage. Despite her best efforts - she wriggled cheerfully in a very small outfit - the audience remained subdued.

PAMELA MANNING: Hey you guys, you want some more? Let me hear it, c'mon. Wake up.

STEVEN ADLER: Lets hear the fucking noise. C'mon.

DUFF:Yo,yo Roxy, c’mon.

Axl returned to the stage and surveying the blase audience.

AXL: I think you guys have been eating Quaaludes. This song lets you do whatever the fuck you want. This song is called 'Anything Goes."

DUFF: Alright you mother fuckers, lets go!

During "Anything Goes," Slash tripped while running back and forth on stage, somehow executing a perfect backward somersault without missing a single note.

AXL: I wanna take a minute to introduce the members of the band here. The man over there on guitar, is Mr. Izzy Stradlin. The man here on the bass is Mr. Duff McKagan. The man on the drums. Mr. Steven Adler. And the man sitting on his fucking ass, falling all over himself...

SLASH: Drunk dumb fuck.

AXL: ...is Slash. And he has been waiting for this all night.

SLASH: That's it. Goodnight. We’ve got one more.

During "Heartbreak Hotel" Slash’s top hat migrated to the top of Axl’s head.

AXL: Thank you. The Whisky on April 5th. Ok, lets close the fucking place down.

SLASH: This was a benefit for Belleview.

AXL: And fuck BAM Magazine.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87993

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:38 pm

That looks very much like the layout in Canter's book. I will have to check it later today.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:02 pm

Blackstar wrote:I found this page randomly on tumblr and I don't know which book or magazine its from (it isn't from Marc Canter's, is it?)
Well, of course it's from Marc Canter's book Embarassed

I had the kindle edition only, and I realised that it lacks a lot of what is included in the physical book.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:17 am

Blackstar wrote:
Blackstar wrote:I found this page randomly on tumblr and I don't know which book or magazine its from (it isn't from Marc Canter's, is it?)

Well, of course it's from Marc Canter's book Embarassed

I had the kindle edition only, and I realised that it lacks a lot of what is included in the physical book.

My version of Reckless Road is falling to pieces now. I am using it now for the new revision of the history section, adding quotes and info, so I go back and forth a lot and now it is falling apart at the seams Very Happy
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:24 pm

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down