APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Patience

2 posters

Go down

Patience Empty Patience

Post by Soulmonster Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:37 am

Patience Newbor11
PATIENCE
Album:
GN'R Lies, 1988, track no. 5.

Written by:
Lyrics: Izzy Stradlin and Axl Rose.
Music: Izzy Stradlin, Slash and Duff McKagan.

Musicians:
Vocals: Axl Rose; lead guitar: Slash; rhythm guitar: Izzy Stradlin; bass: Duff McKagan.

Live performances:
This song was played for the first time October 30, 1987 at an acoustic gig at CBGB's, USA. In total it has, as of {UPDATEDATE}, at least been played {PATIENCESONGS} times.
Lyrics:

Shed a tear 'cause I'm missin' you
I'm still alright to smile
Girl I think about you ev'ry day now
Was a time when I wasn't sure
But you set my mind at ease
There is no doubt
You're in my heart now

Said woman take it slow
It'll work itself out fine
All we need is just a little patience

Said sugar make it slow and
We come together fine
All we need is just a little patience

Patience

I sit here on the stairs
'Cause I'd rather be alone
If I can't have you right now I'll wait, dear
Sometimes I get so tense
But I can't speed up the time
But you know, love there's
One more thing to consider

Said woman take it slow
And things will be just fine
You and I'll just use a little patience

Said sugar take the time
'Cause the lights are shining bright
You and I've got what it takes to make it
We won't fake it
Aah, never break it
'Cause I can't take it

...little patience, mm yeah, mm yeah,
need a little patience, yeah,
just a little patience, yeah,
some more pati..

I've been walkin' the streets to night
Just trying to get it right
It's hard to see when so many around
You know I don't like being stuck in a crowd
And the streets don't change, but baby the names
I ain't got time for this game
'Cause I need you,
Yeah but I need you,
Oh I need you,
Oh I need you,
Ooh this time

Quotes regarding the song and its making:

Writing the song:

It's a ballad. It's mainly pinned by Izzy Stradlin.
MTV, 1988

It's funny, there's actually two versions of that song. Izzy wrote the verse [humming the verse with help from Steven] and I wrote the part at the end, "A little patience, yeaaaaah" Okay, so that came together like that and we had it. We never really rehearsed it, we kinda just started playing it live. [...] And there's another version that I have of it. I used to have an 8 track recorder. The 'Patience's that's on that is about a girl and it is really sweet and nice. I have another version that is more of a comedy thing, you know, it was when I lived in this apartment with three people and and were doing drugs and shit, we sit there, and it's kinda comedic, it's like you sit there, and you just need a little patience. Your roommate takes a shit and forgets to flush it. All you need is a little patience. [...] Yeah, that song just came together and the only way we rehearsed it was, actually, "Whoop! Let's play it live!" We wrote it, uh, Slash, Steven, Izzy, myself in the rehearsal studio but we only rehearsed it like once. And then, the next time we played it was live in front of 20 thousand people, or something.
Interview with Steven and Duff, December 1988

[...] as we developed songs, we put a lot of emphasis on anything that veered away from the main melody - we all felt that diverging from a good tune was only justifiable if the other part was just as good. That meant we rejected cookie-cutter songwriting that demanded bridges for bridges' sake and strictly delineated between verses and choruses. Instead we only went places we really felt strongly about. There's a reason the codas in songs like 'Rocket Queen,' 'Paradise City,' or 'Patience' sound so distinctive - we didn't feel compelled to add them; we were just so excited about certain ideas that, working together, day after day, we found ways to incorporate them.
Duff's autobiography, "It's So Easy", 2011, p. 96-97

When I sang the song it was the first time I ever sang it. Izzy basically wrote most of the words except for the ending part, and then Slash and Duff got in on it, rearranging and rewriting parts of it, music parts, guitar parts (...). One reason the song was written was about needing patience and having a lack of it. (...) Duff's written his version of 'Patience', it's kinda a comedy version which may be out some time. Izzy has a new song (...) "Double talkin' jive motherfucker 'cause I got no more patience."
Patience CD Single, June 1989

Axl is so prolific lyricwise and has such a heartfelt sense of melody that combined with Izzy's songwriting skill and Duff and myself, creating great guitar parts was easy, and so we'd have amazing songs in no time. Izzy and Axl had such great chemistry because Axl knew how to transform one of Izzy's simple structures into a perfect, well-rounded, melodically and lyrically rich song. A great example is 'Patience': Axl really elevated that song of Izzy's into something else entirely.
Bozza, Anthony, & Slash (2007). Slash. Harper Entertainment: New York, pp 265

[...] Axl had come up with a great idea for 'Patience,' seemingly out of nowhere, that had immediately become the story and melody of that song. The whistle part at the beginning was another ballsy and unusual move by Axl; the song just wouldn't be the same without it. 'Patience' quickly became one of my favourite GN'R songs to play live.
Duff's autobiography, "It's So Easy", 2011, p. 131

I was sitting in the studio kitchen with Izzy. He was playing Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door, which the band was doing in their set at the time. All of a sudden he shifted the chords a little bit. That was the beginning of Patience. He started humming this great melody. I heard: ‘Hey, said woman, take it slow,’ and other lines that ended up in the song. I said: “Man, that sounds really great. Why don’t you finish that?” A couple of weeks later Axl was in the studio, so I said to Izzy: “Hey, play that song you did for Axl.” Axl just loved it. So we went in and cut it as part of this idea to do an unplugged session. That became the core song for the whole session.

Talking about recording the song:

In 1984, Izzy Stradlin lived in an apartment across the street from me in Hollywood, right behind the Chinese Theater off Hollywood Boulevard. The man seemed to ALWAYS have an acoustic guitar in his hands, and was always writing bits and pieces of songs. He still does this today.

There was one especially melodic thing that he had been working on, and every once in a while he would dust it off and work on it some more.

By 1986, our band Guns N' Roses had a record deal. With that money, I put myself on a small stipend that could basically pay my rent--or half-rent, I should say--for about six months.

One of my best friends at the time was looking to move to Hollywood from her parents' house somewhere in Orange County. She and I decided that we could share rent on a one-bedroom apartment on Gardner; she would get the bedroom, and I the floor of the dining room (which I cordoned off into my little den of darkness).

My other good friend then was a guy named Del James, a recent transplant from New York who became an important part of our tightknit little group of friends and ersatz consiglieres.

Del needed a place to crash for a week or so, and back then, what was mine was his. During that first week of couch-surfing at my apartment, Del and my roommate Debby became romantic, and Del moved from the couch to her bedroom.

Del was an avid reader, and turned me onto a book called Slugs by Shaun Hutson. I remember just sitting in my bedroom/dining room with my curtain pulled taught, and reading this book with life sort of swirling around me in our apartment. There were drugs aplenty then, and Valium was the drug-of-the-month at that particular point.

I remembered Izzy's little ditty, which at that point had a working title of "Patience," and I wrote a lyrical verse then that went, '"I sit here doing drugs/Reading a book about slugs/All I need is a little patience."

This horrible lyric never made it past my apartment front door, thank God. Axl came up with a great lyric, seemingly out of nowhere, that of course became the story and melody of that song. The whistle part at the beginning--a ballsy move by Axl--while seeming odd to some of our fans and critics alike when the record Lies was released, became a part of pop culture. The song just wouldn't be the song without it, right? This was always one of my favorite GN'R songs that we did live.

A few years ago, when Loaded was recording something or other (maybe "Wasted Heart"?), I counted in the song. On playback, someone in the room exclaimed that the count-in (me) sounded like the recorded count-in of "Patience," which is also me. For a while, the joke went that if I couldn't get a good table at a restaurant, I could simply say "One-two-one-two-three-four," and the gates would open for me.

Talking about the song:

Patience is pretty self-explanatory, you try to keep it, but it comes and goes.
Hit Parader, May 1989

I know one song in particular, "Patience," where Axl hits a certain vocal that gives me chills, and it affects my playing, when that goes by. And it happens every single night when we play it.
Interview Magazine, June 1992

This next song was written by Izzy Stradlin, somebody that I get real pissed off at because I miss him greatly. And maybe he knew a thing or two that I don’t know about, or that I didn’t’ know, that I gotta work on now, and that's something called Patience.

Talking about the music video:

I can't stand to watch the video. I'm proud of the video, it's just when I hear it I think of how I don't have any patience now. (...) It's like it depresses us 'cause (...) I thought we were getting closer to finding some piece of mind.
Interview with Axl, 1990?

Patience Newbor11

Last edited by Soulmonster on Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:36 pm; edited 16 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76772

Back to top Go down

Patience Empty Re: Patience

Post by Joicy Meneghel Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:56 pm

Guns N' Roses Melhor Banda, melhores Musicas! São meus cantores favoritos Axl Rose; guitarra: Slash, guitarra rítmica: Izzy Stradlin; bass: Duff McKagan.
Essa musica marcou muito minha vida, que foi quando conheci um garoto e ele me fazia de tudo por mim e eu não dei valor, hoje sofro por isso, mais como diz a própria musica PACIÊNCIA, só me resta isso. Foi ai que então ele tocou essa musica pra mim, a partir desse dia conheci Guns N' Roses, e hoje Guns N' Roses são demais os melhores pra mim,.!

Translation done by SoulMonster with Google:
"Guns N 'Roses Best Band, Best Song! They are my favorite singers Axl Rose; Guitar: Slash, rhythm guitar, Izzy Stradlin, Bass: Duff McKagan.
This song marked my very life, that was when I met a boy and he did everything for me and I did not value, so now I suffer, more like music itself tells Patience, I'm left with this. It was there that then he played this song for me, from that day I met Guns N 'Roses, and now Guns N' Roses are the best rest for me.!"
Joicy Meneghel
Joicy Meneghel

Plectra : 4741

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:59 pm

Joicy Meneghel wrote:Guns N' Roses Melhor Banda, melhores Musicas! São meus cantores favoritos Axl Rose; guitarra: Slash, guitarra rítmica: Izzy Stradlin; bass: Duff McKagan.
Essa musica marcou muito minha vida, que foi quando conheci um garoto e ele me fazia de tudo por mim e eu não dei valor, hoje sofro por isso, mais como diz a própria musica PACIÊNCIA, só me resta isso. Foi ai que então ele tocou essa musica pra mim, a partir desse dia conheci Guns N' Roses, e hoje Guns N' Roses são demais os melhores pra mim,.!

Sorry Joicy, this is an English only forum.

But don't worry, with some patience you will find another great guy Patience 679352.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:39 pm

In 2010, Tesla's Frank Hannon claimed GN'R had stolen Patience from them:

Let me tell you something: 'Patience'... We were labelmates with Guns N Roses on Geffen. There's a demo of a song that we wrote called 'Better Off Without You.' It is 'Patience' note for note . . . I don't know if they ripped us off or Tom Zutaut or Geffen or somebody passed them the tape.

Slash responded on Facebook:

I heard that one of the guys from Tesla claimed GNR stole 'Patience' from them. I'm assuming he's smoking super crack. Or dreaming out loud . . . I didn't hear the actual interview so I won't jump to conclusions based on hearsay. I'll just make emotiphants!

This resulted in Hannon clarifying:

The demo of 'Better Off Without You' I was talking about is an acoustic guitar version we did live at the Oasis Ballroom in 1985 that Geffen Records had on a 'live' cassette tape of a show we played. They did make some copies of it with labels on them and handed them out to people before we made our first album. If anyone can find one, that would be awesome. I was not talking about the piano version that's floating around on a bootleg.

Also, for the record: 'Better Off Without You' is a song in 'D' and it does the 'D/F#-to-G' chord change in it. This is also the same type of change that GNR used at the end of 'Patience' and also the same change that John Lennon uses in 'Imagine'...

I do not seriously feel that we wrote 'Patience' in ANY WAY.

The song 'Patience' is a great song that they [GNR] wrote themselves, and it is only the end part that has any similar part to the guitar chords we used.

I apologize for any controversy or disrespect I may have projected in my joking around with Eddie Trunk ["That Metal Show" co-host] about this.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:01 am

In 1984, Izzy Stradlin lived in an apartment across the street from me in Hollywood, right behind the Chinese Theater off Hollywood Boulevard. The man seemed to ALWAYS have an acoustic guitar in his hands, and was always writing bits and pieces of songs. He still does this today.

There was one especially melodic thing that he had been working on, and every once in a while he would dust it off and work on it some more.

By 1986, our band Guns N' Roses had a record deal. With that money, I put myself on a small stipend that could basically pay my rent--or half-rent, I should say--for about six months.

One of my best friends at the time was looking to move to Hollywood from her parents' house somewhere in Orange County. She and I decided that we could share rent on a one-bedroom apartment on Gardner; she would get the bedroom, and I the floor of the dining room (which I cordoned off into my little den of darkness).

My other good friend then was a guy named Del James, a recent transplant from New York who became an important part of our tightknit little group of friends and ersatz consiglieres.

Del needed a place to crash for a week or so, and back then, what was mine was his. During that first week of couch-surfing at my apartment, Del and my roommate Debby became romantic, and Del moved from the couch to her bedroom.

Del was an avid reader, and turned me onto a book called Slugs by Shaun Hutson. I remember just sitting in my bedroom/dining room with my curtain pulled taught, and reading this book with life sort of swirling around me in our apartment. There were drugs aplenty then, and Valium was the drug-of-the-month at that particular point.

I remembered Izzy's little ditty, which at that point had a working title of "Patience," and I wrote a lyrical verse then that went, '"I sit here doing drugs/Reading a book about slugs/All I need is a little patience."

This horrible lyric never made it past my apartment front door, thank God. Axl came up with a great lyric, seemingly out of nowhere, that of course became the story and melody of that song. The whistle part at the beginning--a ballsy move by Axl--while seeming odd to some of our fans and critics alike when the record Lies was released, became a part of pop culture. The song just wouldn't be the song without it, right? This was always one of my favorite GN'R songs that we did live.

A few years ago, when Loaded was recording something or other (maybe "Wasted Heart"?), I counted in the song. On playback, someone in the room exclaimed that the count-in (me) sounded like the recorded count-in of "Patience," which is also me. For a while, the joke went that if I couldn't get a good table at a restaurant, I could simply say "One-two-one-two-three-four," and the gates would open for me.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:34 am

This next song was written by Izzy Stradlin, somebody that I get real pissed off at because I miss him greatly. And maybe he knew a thing or two that I don’t know about, or that I didn’t’ know, that I gotta work on now, and that's something called Patience.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:36 pm

I was sitting in the studio kitchen with Izzy. He was playing Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door, which the band was doing in their set at the time. All of a sudden he shifted the chords a little bit. That was the beginning of Patience. He started humming this great melody. I heard: ‘Hey, said woman, take it slow,’ and other lines that ended up in the song. I said: “Man, that sounds really great. Why don’t you finish that?” A couple of weeks later Axl was in the studio, so I said to Izzy: “Hey, play that song you did for Axl.” Axl just loved it. So we went in and cut it as part of this idea to do an unplugged session. That became the core song for the whole session.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum