APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2019.05.13 - SiriusXM's Feedback - Moby talks about why Axl Rose won't talk to him

Go down

2019.05.13 - SiriusXM's Feedback - Moby talks about why Axl Rose won't talk to him Empty 2019.05.13 - SiriusXM's Feedback - Moby talks about why Axl Rose won't talk to him

Post by Blackstar Mon May 06, 2024 7:20 pm

Excerpts from Ultimate Guitar:

During an appearance on SiriusXM, Moby remembered briefly becoming the producer of Guns N' Roses back in the '90s, saying that Axl Rose apparently still hates him for something he said back then.

The musician explained how he was invited to produce what became 2008's "Chinese Democracy" back in February of 1997, saying (transcribed by UG):

"I went to LA and I spent a couple of days in the studio with Axl and whoever was in the band at that point. He played me some things and I couldn't believe it. My life was odd at that point anyway - this was in '97 - but I'm, like, in the studio, in Los Angeles, with Axl Rose, he's asking me for my opinion on the things he's playing."

Focusing on the point that had severely damaged his relationship with the singer, Moby added:

"And I asked the question I'm never supposed to ask. I asked, 'Oh, this is great, but where are the vocals?'. And everyone got very uncomfortable. They've been working on the record for six years and they hadn't done any vocals."

Asked if the material he was presented with was the "industrial incarnation of the band," Moby replied:

"Yeah, I think so. And then I just realized, like, 'Look, I'm not a producer. I can make my own records, but I've never produced a rock band in my life.' And I just didn't think that my first job as a rock producer should be producing Guns N' Roses. So I had to excuse myself from being the producer of 'Chinese Democracy.'"

He added:

"And then I made [the massively-successful 1999 album] 'Play' and Axl still hates me. He won't talk to me. I don't know why 'cause I actually found him to be kind of, like, an endearing, interesting character. Like, one of the things that made me sad about not producing 'Chinese Democracy' is that it meant the end of my weird friendship with Axl. Even now, I'll see him out and he won't talk to me. But everybody else in the band - not that they were involved [with 'Chinese Democracy'], but Slash, Duff, Matt Sorum, and I saw Izzy the other night, and they're all great. Humble, sober, wonderful human beings. I'm sure Axl is also wonderful, he just won't talk to me."

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/moby_talks_gnr_hiring_him_to_produce_chinese_democracy__how_he_angered_axl_with_question_he_was_never_supposed_to_ask.html
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 88096

Back to top Go down