APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Debbie Gibson: “I was obsessed with Paradise City. It bridges the gap between rock/metal and pop. I will never forget hanging out with Axl"

Go down

Debbie Gibson: “I was obsessed with Paradise City. It bridges the gap between rock/metal and pop. I will never forget hanging out with Axl" Empty Debbie Gibson: “I was obsessed with Paradise City. It bridges the gap between rock/metal and pop. I will never forget hanging out with Axl"

Post by ludurigan Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:17 pm

Debbie Gibson: “I was obsessed with Paradise City. It bridges the gap between rock/metal and pop. I will never forget hanging out with Axl" 69cfb1956375fec668a88242c009bdf9
Debbie Gibson and Axl Rose, backstage at the American Music Awards of 1989

Debbie Gibson reached the top of Billboard's Hot 100 in March 1989 with the piano ballad "Lost In Your Eyes".

Thirty-five years later, asked by Billboard to comment on the songs that were in the Top 20 on the occasion, she had this to say about Guns n' Roses' "Paradise City":

“I was obsessed with this song. Did I say obsessed? This song was and is in a lane all its own and managed to bridge the gap between hard rock/metal and pop, which sometimes rock fans did not appreciate, but this pop fan loved this incredible band. I will never forget hanging out with Axl post-AMAs when I co-hosted. Such a thrill, and what a nice guy.”

The 16th Annual American Music Awards were held on January 30, 1989.

Guns n' Roses won the "Favorite Pop/Rock Song" category with "Sweet Child O' Mine", beating nominees "Never Gonna Give You Up" by Rick Astley and "Roll With It" by Steve Winwood.

The band performed "Patience" at the ceremony with Don Henley from the Eagles on the drums replacing Steven Adler.

The video below shows Debbie hosting the ceremony and performing "Lost In Your Eyes" live.

sources:

Debbie Gibson Counts Down the Hot 100 When ‘Lost in Your Eyes’ Hit No. 1: ‘It Was a Composite of My Puppy Love High School Love Life’ (Billboard.com)

American Music Awards of 1989 (Wikipedia.org)
ludurigan
ludurigan

Plectra : 5451

ilomilo likes this post

Back to top Go down