APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Black Crowes' Marc Ford: Refused GN'R, played on Izzy's first Album, recorded an album on Slash's house, refused (Axl's) GN'R

Go down

Black Crowes' Marc Ford: Refused GN'R, played on Izzy's first Album, recorded an album on Slash's house, refused (Axl's) GN'R Empty Black Crowes' Marc Ford: Refused GN'R, played on Izzy's first Album, recorded an album on Slash's house, refused (Axl's) GN'R

Post by ludurigan Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:06 pm

Black Crowes' Marc Ford: Refused GN'R, played on Izzy's first Album, recorded an album on Slash's house, refused (Axl's) GN'R 878cacc310551c231a8f8d5df6b7fab6
MARC FORD, EARLY PHOTO

I think by this point everyone here knows that Marc Ford (ex-Black Crowes) turned down a Slash offer to replace Izzy in GN'R in 1991.

On this AOL story (https://www.al.com/life/2021/09/marc-ford-talks-black-crowes-turning-down-guns-n-roses-new-solo-tour.html) there is some cool info on how he:

- recorded (uncredited) guitar parts for one of Izzy's songs in his Ju Ju Hounds album (probably around the same time circa 1991-1992)

- recorded a solo album on Slash's house

- said no on an offer to join Axl's GNR

Here are some quotes from that story:

OFFER TO REPLACE IZZY IN GN'R

Soon after joining The Black Crowes, Ford received a phone call from Guns N’ Roses guitarist Slash asking about Ford filling the GN’R guitar slot vacated after Izzy Stradlin quit during the “Use Your Illusion Tour.”

Ford explained to Slash he’d just joined the Crowes and politely declined his invitation. “Of course, I was very flattered,” Ford told me in 2017, “and my life would be a whole lot different now. I’d probably be dead, to be honest with you. I think it was probably the best decision and Slash agreed. He said, ‘Man, that’s really cool. That’s probably a better fit for you anyway and good luck.’”

RECORDING FOR IZZY'S JU JU HOUNDS ALBUM

Around this time, Ford did a session for the solo debut by the same musician Slash had inquired about Ford replacing in GN’R, Stradlin. He walked into the sessions right after Stones guitarist Ron Wood finished recording a cover of Wood’s ‘70s solo gem “Take A Look At The Guy” with Stradlin. Ford played uncredited on Izzy’s opening track “Somebody’s Knockin’” because the Crowes didn’t want it to seem like Ford was just a hired gun. Looking back now, Ford can’t quite recall for sure what guitar he played on the session but says, “Maybe a Tele that was there.”

TURNING DOWN OFFER TO JOIN AXL'S GN'R, RECORDING A SOLO ALBUM AT SLASH'S HOUSE

Around 2002 or so, Ford received a second offer to join Guns N’ Roses,, he revealed during a 2021 interview with the Black Crowes-themed podcast State of Amorica. This was during the elongated recording sessions for GN’R’s “Chinese Democracy” album, which was eventually released in 2008.

“I didn’t want to have any part of it,” Ford tells AL.com. “And with the nightmare stories I’d heard about it, forget it. I’d already went through something that I didn’t want to repeat, and to imagine an even worse scenario …” He says another reason he turned down a job with Guns N’ Roses was to make his first solo album, released in 2003 as “It’s About Time.” (Which was, coincidentally, recorded at the house of Slash, who’d by then split from GN’R years ago.)

“I’m not really into being a rock star,” Ford says. “I really f---ing hate the bull----. And it’s getting harder and harder to deal with, the older I get. I’d much rather be quieter and do my own thing”.

FULL STORY = https://www.al.com/life/2021/09/marc-ford-talks-black-crowes-turning-down-guns-n-roses-new-solo-tour.html)
ludurigan
ludurigan

Plectra : 5451

Soulmonster likes this post

Back to top Go down