APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2004.02.17 - Dagbladet - Guns N' Roses Was Painful (Slash, Duff, Matt)

Go down

2004.02.17 - Dagbladet - Guns N' Roses Was Painful (Slash, Duff, Matt) Empty 2004.02.17 - Dagbladet - Guns N' Roses Was Painful (Slash, Duff, Matt)

Post by Blackstar Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:26 am

Original text in Norwegian:
https://web.archive.org/web/20040226202126/http://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/2004/02/17/391094.html

---------------

Guns N' Roses was painful

By Tommy Fossum

Slash hasn't spoken with Axl Rose since he was kicked out of Guns N' Roses. But he has formed a new band with two of the other guys.

LOS ANGELES (Dagbladet): While the scandal-rocker Axl Rose struggles to get new musicians in his band, Guns N' Roses, for a planned concert in Lisbon May 30, the rest of the musicians from the band are very happy they do not have to deal with him anymore.

- The last years in Guns N' Roses were really painful, says Duff McKagan, the bassist in the band that started climbing the charts in the late 80s.

He seems embarrassed when he reminds himself and the drummer Matt Sorum, who has Norwegian ancestors, that Guns N' Roses had to cancel a concert in Oslo in 1991.

- Yeah, and it was even in my homeland. Fuck, I felt so bad when we couldn't go on stage, because Axl had decided he wanted to stay longer in Paris, says Sorum.

- Many people had traveled far to see us. You don't do that to your fans, he says.

Must go out on the road

Matt Sorum and Duff McKagan are back together with Guns N' Roses legendary guitarist Slash in the new band Velvet Revolver. With the three old members of Guns N' Roses, the band features former singer in Stone Temple Pilots, Scott Weiland, as well as Dave Kushner, who played in Dave Navarro's band.

The expectations are extremely high for their debut album, which will be released in May.

- It's indescribably good to be back together again. It all started with a jam, and we ended up making a record with rock 'n' roll based on the old school, but with Scott Weiland's wild shit. He's Iggy Pop, David Bowie, Johnny Rotten and Mick Jagger in one body, Slash says.

He's the first to admit that it has been good with a pause from the rock world though.

- It has been healthy for us to do other things with our lives. But now I just can't sit still anymore. I have to get out and play, Slash says, right when he gets his breakfast, a bottle of Guinness, in one of the bungalows of the legendary rock 'n' roll hotel in Hollywood, Chateau Marmont.

Sending Christmas cards

Slash doesn't seem to have changed much since he was topping the charts, but he objects to this.

- I've gotten married, and we're expecting our second child - and we live a pretty normal life here in L.A. Many people probably think we got lots of money, but Axl Rose spent more than Guns N' Roses ever made.

Are you in touch with Axl?

- No, I havn't talked to him since I was forced out of the band. Then I was so pissed off. I'm just a guy who doesn't give up.

- But my wife is sending him Christmas cards. She has not even met him, but she just wants to be nice, Slash explains.

Neither Sorum or McKagan has any contact with Rose.

- I think he's a bitter man. I just hope he finds some kinda happiness in his life, McKagan says.

Got back their humble

Slash, McKagan and Sorum are happy they got a break from the life of rock stars the last years.

- We were living in our very own aquarium, where we were swimming around doing what we wanted. Now we have in many ways gotten back our lives, Matt says, and Slash and McKagan agrees.

- I am happy we got rid of the enormous ego we had during the Guns N' Roses-years. I think we all got back our humble, McKagan says.

The scandalous bassist has become a father and has studied in university the last years.

- We needed these years separated before we could get together again. Now this band is some kinda release for all of us, Sorum says, who's hopeful Velvet Revolver will get to play in Norway during the summer.

Then they will for sure not repeat Guns N' Roses' fiasco-visit in 1991.

- This is a band with a high working morale, Sorum ensures.

May 3, the first single will be released in Norway. The album "Contraband" will be released May 24.

https://web.archive.org/web/20071010083026/http://gnrsource.com/articles/2004/02-17-dagbl.htm
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87097

Back to top Go down