APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1986.08.28 - The Stone, San Francisco, USA

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1986.08.28 - The Stone, San Francisco, USA

Post by Soulmonster on Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:31 am

Date:
August 28, 1986

Venue:
The Stone

Setlist:
Unknown setlist.

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Izzy Stradlin (rhythm guitarist), Slash (lead guitarist), Duff McKagan (bass) and Steven Adler (drums).

Next concert: 1986.01.18.
Previous concert: 1986.01.04.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 50338

Back to top Go down

Re: 1986.08.28 - The Stone, San Francisco, USA

Post by Soulmonster on Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:48 am

Photograph by Deborah Ostrov:
In what I'm sure was a well-meant gesture, Jetboy's lead singer announced my address over the PA system during this show. Perhaps he thought my plan to limit the after-show party to the several hundred people I actually knew was not a good one. In any event, Axl Rose showed up, dressed in a pair of fetching black leather chaps. Just black leather chaps. He stumbled into my bedroom (it was a two-room apartment, so the odds were 50/50), and passed out on a pile of records - records I had not especially planned to throw onto a bonfire. I never understood why people liked GnR.
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by puddledumpling on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:39 am

Soulmonster wrote:

Photograph by Deborah Ostrov:
In what I'm sure was a well-meant gesture, Jetboy's lead singer announced my address over the PA system during this show. Perhaps he thought my plan to limit the after-show party to the several hundred people I actually knew was not a good one. In any event, Axl Rose showed up, dressed in a pair of fetching black leather chaps. Just black leather chaps. He stumbled into my bedroom (it was a two-room apartment, so the odds were 50/50), and passed out on a pile of records - records I had not especially planned to throw onto a bonfire. I never understood why people liked GnR.
I especially enjoyed this post.

The quote is by Deborah Ostrov?
puddledumpling

Plectra : 4333

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster on Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:48 pm

Yes, it is.

This is sort of a mystery show. It apparently took place some time in 1986 at a club called The Stone (according to Ostrov) in San Francisco. I can't find any information on this venue, but there used to be a club called The Rock at Broadway street where Jetboy played all the time, so I am leaning towards concluding that Ostrov's memory is not all that. Still, even when searching for "The Rock" in combination with "Guns N' Roses" or "Jetboy" and 1986, I can't get any hits.

Another thing, according to two different interviews with Slash they also played a gig in San Francisco in 1985 with Jetboy -- which is not included in my database, or anyone's else. A real mystery date. Even Marc Canter doesn't mention this gig. Normally I'd write it off on Slash's notoriously bad memory, but the thing is that he adds details suggesting the gig really took place: they apparently wrote Paradise City while in the car back to Hollywood (which should place this gig right before October 10, 1985) and the car was driven by Vicky Hamilton.

So now I am searching for two gigs who are supposed to have taken place in San Francisco in 1985 and 1986, respectively, both with Jetboy.
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster on Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:10 am

Well, according to Setlists.fm this The Stone gig took place on August 28, 1986. Whether there was a gig at the same venue in 1985, whicch Slash recollects, or whether he is just confused, I don't know.
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum