APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

New Rose

3 posters

Go down

New Rose Empty New Rose

Post by Soulmonster Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:23 pm

New Rose Newbor11
NEW ROSE
Album:
The Spaghetti Incident?, 1993, track no. 2.

Written by:
Brian James (The Damned).

Musicians:
Vocals: Duff McKagan
Lead & Rhythm Guitars: Slash
Rhythm Guitar: Gilby Clarke
Bass: Duff McKagan
Drums: Matt Sorum

Live performances:
'New Rose' entered the setlists on the Not In The Lifetour tour of 2016. In total it has, as of {UPDATEDATE}, at least been played {NEWROSESONGS} times.
Lyrics:

[spoken] Is she really going out with him?

Hey!

I got a feeling inside of me,
It's kinda strange, like a stormy sea
I don't know why, I don't know why
I guess these things've gotta be

I got a new rose, I got it good
Yes, I knew that I always would
I can't stop to mess around
I got a brand new rose in town

See the sun, see the sunny skies
Don't get too close, it'll burn your eyes
Don't you run away that way
Come back another day

I never thought this could happen to me
I'm a strange washing machine
I never served somebody this sane
I'll never, never, never be too late

Hey!

I got a feeling inside of me,
It's kinda strange, like a stormy sea
I don't know why, I don't know why
I guess these things've gotta be

Quotes regarding the song

"New Rose" by the Damned was definitely Duff's choice.
Guitar Player, January 1994

After we did [The Spaghetti Incident?] I was playing a gig in ‘94 with Steve Jones, we were playing the Viper Room every Monday night as the Neurotic Outsiders and Rat Scabies [from The damned] came to one of the gigs. Steve introduced us and Rat said, "thanks for covering that song, I got the biggest publishing cheque I ever got". But I didn’t know what to say, I was terrified of The Damned man, these are my heroes. I mean it was Rat Scabies, what the hell do you say to Rat Scabies?

New Rose Newbor11

Last edited by Soulmonster on Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76771

Back to top Go down

New Rose Empty Re: New Rose

Post by Soulmonster Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:39 pm

After we did [The Spaghetti Incident?] I was playing a gig in ‘94 with Steve Jones, we were playing the Viper Room every Monday night as the Neurotic Outsiders and Rat Scabies [from The damned] came to one of the gigs. Steve introduced us and Rat said, "thanks for covering that song, I got the biggest publishing cheque I ever got". But I didn’t know what to say, I was terrified of The Damned man, these are my heroes. I mean it was Rat Scabies, what the hell do you say to Rat Scabies?
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Uli likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Uli Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:26 pm

Nice quote. What do I say to Rat Scabies? "Hi Ratty" mostly, as I met him quite a few times. He's a great drummer and I got on well with him. Cool

On a side note, Duff guested at a few Brian James gigs (he wrote the song "New Rose") and performed the song with him. (Duff also played bass on the "Mad for the racket" album, a project by Brian James & Wayne Kramer.)
Uli
Uli

Plectra : 9482

Soulmonster and Blackstar like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:37 pm

That's cool! Where did you meet Rat Scabies, at concerts?
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Uli Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:41 pm

Yes, at first at a concert, later I went on a "guided tour" (w/ him as one of the "guides") in South France. That's how I met his mate from the US, who back then was drum tech for Josh (and that's how I met Josh when they toured Germany a bit later)...

Also at a concert, 20 years ago, I met Brian James, asked him for an autograph, he was surprised to see that I own the Mad for the racket cd! Cool
Uli
Uli

Blackstar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:05 pm

Ah, yes, I remember now!
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Uli Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:05 pm

Yeah, I dread to think what I wouldn't have experienced if I hadn't gotten into the Damned back in the 1980s!

In case anyone wants to know more about the original song, here is a new in-depth analysis:
Uli
Uli

ludurigan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:43 pm

I think that this "I-got-the-biggest-publishing-cheque-I-ever-got" story happened to pretty much all the "obscure" bands that GN'R covered in Spaghetti

Even Bob Dylan said something similar about Knockin' on Heaven's Door if I am not mistaken
ludurigan
ludurigan

Plectra : 5502

Uli likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Uli Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:59 pm

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/guns-n-roses-cover-the-damned/
English outfit The Damned remain one of the most influential groups of an era buzzing with activity. Cutting a very different image to the rest of their punk contemporaries when they broke through in 1977 with the release of their raucous debut album Damned Damned Damned, it was clear to see that frontman Dave Vanian, guitarist Captain Sensible and drummer Rat Scabies had formed a band with genuine longevity, and it is a promise that they have invariably delivered.

This is somewhat of a mistake: Brian James was the guitarist in '76-'77 (and he wrote "New Rose" and most of the other songs), Captain Sensible played bass and later switched to guitar...

Whilst we could spend an age discussing The Damned’s impact on goth, it wouldn’t be fair to discount the impact that their punk work had on those in and around them. From John Frusciante to Green Day, this period has influenced many of the most revered musicians of the contemporary era, and rightly, titles such as Damned Damned Damned are coveted in the most hallowed of ways.

Arguably, the most prominent band that Damned Damned Damned influenced is American hard rockers Guns N’ Roses. They are so heavily indebted to the early work of The Damned that on their 1993 covers album, The Spaghetti Incident, they delivered a high-octane cover of The Damned’s riotous debut single, ‘New Rose’.

I'll spare you the rest of the article, it's not getting any better...
Uli
Uli

Soulmonster, ludurigan and Blackstar like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down