APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Since I Don't Have You

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Since I Don't Have You

Post by Soulmonster on Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:23 am

SINCE I DON'T HAVE YOU
Album:
The Spaghetti Incident?, 1993, track no. 1.

Written by:
Joseph Rock and James Beaumont (The Skyliners cover).

Musicians:
Vocals: W. Axl Rose
Lead & Rhythm Guitars: Slash
Acoustic Guitar: Gilby
Bass: Duff McKagan
Drums: Matt Sorum
Piano: Dizzy Reed
Keyboards: W. Axl Rose

Live performances:
'Since I Don't Have You' has never been played live.
Lyrics:
I don't have plans and schemes,
And I don't have hopes and dreams.
I don't have anything,
Since I don't have you.

And I don't have fond desires,
and I don't have happy hours.
I don't have anything,
Since I don't have you.

Happiness, and I guess,
I never will again.
When you walked out on me,
In walked ol' misery,
And he's been here since then.

(spoken) Yeah, we're fucked!

I don't have love to share,
And I don't have one who cares.
I don't have anything,
Since I don't have you.
You, you, you, oh, oh!
You, you, you, oh, oh!
You, you, you, oh, oh!
You, you, you, oh, oh!
You, you, you, oh yeah!

Quote:
It's a terrible song. I don't like it. When we did the Punk album [The Spaghetti Incident?], we'd record stuff on days off. We did 'Since I Don't Have You' in Boston in one day! I didn't think it was gonna be on the record. I dug cutting the T-Rex song - that was cool. But I thought we were making a Punk Rock cover album. And then it turned into being not a Punk Rock cover album! But, it's not my choice. When people ask me about the song, I just say, 'Look, I don't like it'" [War Of The Roses! (Gilby Clarke interview), Kerrang! 494 May 24, 1994].

(...) and the single which wasn't the best idea at all, was 'Since I Don't Have You,' though it was a stellar version of that song [Bozza, Anthony, & Slash (2007). Slash. Harper Entertainment: New York, p.376].

Axl wanted to do "Black Leather" and "Since I Don't Have You," which he used to sing all the time.[...]

I played Gilby's Tele on "Since I Don't Have You" because I had rented a Les Paul that was a piece of shit.
[Guitar Player, January 1994]

When we started rehearsing, living in a little craphole on…[...] Off Sunset and Gardener. It was just a song for some reason I wanted to do and Slash wanted to do a long time ago, and we don't really know… we felt indicated…[...] I don't know why I really liked that song, I just did and then… We were on the road, we had three days off in Boston, and the song just fit things at the time and we had some time so we went in and did it without having any clue of what it was gonna sound like musically. Because it's a completely different string arrangement and everything in the original. And we went in and just had fun with it [Axl and Slash interview, Rockline 1994].

There's a good story going behind that song because I think that was one of the first songs that really started to turn this "Spaghetti Incident" thing into an actual album. And we did it on off time on the road and recorded it in Makeshift studios in Boston. Brought rental gear down there 'cause all our gear was on the track. And that was how badly we wanted to do it. We just… you know, pulled out whatever we had. And talking about Gilby's guitar… We used his practice guitar and we used rented gear and this and that. We couldn't find a guitar store in Boston [Axl and Slash interview, Rockline 1994].

i'ts a good song. i just didn't think it fit with the original idea of songs that influenced the band. it didn't rock [August, 2011].

When we recorded "Since I Don't Have You," I didn't know we were recording that song until I got to the studio. We jammed that song a couple of times at soundchecks, and I was like, "Well, if we're going to do it slow like that, my contribution is acoustic guitar." I'm all the acoustics on it, because I liked what Slash was doing and I didn't want to get in his way putting an electric guitar just for the sake of putting a rhythm guitar on it. I wanted to complement it. That's why a song like that I played acoustic: because I didn't want to mess around with that melody.[Songfacts, October 2013].

[/i][/i]

Last edited by Soulmonster on Tue May 03, 2016 10:29 am; edited 9 times in total
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder!
Plectra : 48861

Back to top Go down

Re: Since I Don't Have You

Post by hellobeatle on Sat May 28, 2011 5:59 am

I always thought Gilby played on this song. Regardless of his opinion, it's a pretty good song.
hellobeatle

Plectra : 2226

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum