APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Get In The Ring

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Get In The Ring

Post by Soulmonster on Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:43 am

GET IN THE RING
Album:
Use Your Illusion II, 1991, track no. 5.

Written by:
Slash, Duff McKagan and Axl Rose.

Musicians:
Drums: Matt
     Bass: Duff
     Lead and Rhythm Guitars: Slash
     Rhythm Guitar: Izzy
     Piano: Dizzy
     Vocals: Axl
     Background Vocals: Duff

Live performances:
'Get In The Ring' has never been performed live.

Lyrics:
Why do you look at me when you hate me
       Why should I look at you when you
       make me hate you too
       I sense a smell of retribution in the air
       I don't even understand why the fuck
       you even care
       And I don't need your jealousy yeah
       Why drag me down in your misery
       And when you stare don't you think I feel it
       But I'm gonna deal it back to you in spades
       When I'm havin' fun ya know I can't conceal it
       'Cause I know you'd never cut it in my game
       Oh no
       And when you're talkin' about a vasectomy
       Yeah
       I'll be writin' down your obituary
       History

You got your bitches with
       the silicone injections
       Crystal meth and yeast infections
       Bleached blond hair, collagen lip projections
       Who are you to criticize my intentions
       Got your subtle manipulative devices
       Just like you I got my vices
       I got a thought that would be nice
       I'd like to crush your head tight in my vice
       Pain!!

And that goes for all you punks in the press
       That want to start shit by printin' lies
       Instead of the things we said
       That means you
       Andy Secher at Hit Parader
       Circus Magazine
       Mick Wall at Kerrang
       Bob Guccione Jr. at Spin,
       What you pissed off cuz your dad gets more
       pussy than you?
       Fuck you
       Suck my fuckin' dick
     You be rippin' off the fuckin' kids
       While they be payin' their hard earned
       money to read about the bands
       They want to know about
       Printin' lies startin' controversy
       You wanta antagonize me
       Antagonize me motherfucker
       Get in the ring motherfucker
       And I'll kick your bitchy little ass
       Punk

I don't like you, I just hate you
       I gonna kick your ass, oh yeah! oh yeah!
     You may not like our integrity yeah
       We built a world out of anarchy oh yeah!

And in this corner weighin in at 850 pounds,
       Guns N' Roses
     Get in the ring
       Yeah!

Yeah this song is dedicated to All the Guns n' fuckin' Roses fans
       Who stuck with us through all the
       Fucking shit
       And to all those opposed...
       Hmm...well

Information:
'Get in the Ring' was written by Axl Rose, Duff McKagan and Slash and is directed at music critics who gave the band negative reviews because of their actions on stage. Critics from Hit Parader (Andy Secher), Circus, Kerrang! (Mick Wall) and Spin (Bob Guccione, Jr.) are all mentioned by name. Allegedly, Mick Wall of Kerrang! music magazine was mentioned because of his book 'Guns N’ Roses: The Most Dangerous Band in the World’, which was a no holds barred collection of interviews and stories about the band. Mick Wall denies this, and claims that the real reason for his mention was an interview he wrote in early 1990 for Kerrang! about Axl Rose’s threat to harm Vince Neil of Mötley Crüe over an incident involving Vince’s wife and Izzy Stradlin. The song's reference to Bob Guccione Jr. includes a comment about his father (founder of Penthouse magazine) 'gets more pussy' than Guccione Jr. does. The younger Guccione actually responded in a letter to Axl Rose, saying that he accepted the challenge; however, no fight ever occurred. The song is notorious for its amount of swearing. The song was originally written by McKagan with the title "Why Do You Look at Me When You Hate Me?". Nevertheless, the title was shortened, and the original title became the first line in the final version. The song heard on the album was actually not performed live, but was rather recorded in the studio and crowd noises were added to it (similar to all the songs on Live ?!*@ Like a Suicide), recorded from a concert in Saratoga Springs, New York on June 10, 1991. Such noises included the "Guns N' Roses" chant in the beginning and the "get in the ring" chant at the end [Wikipedia].

Quote:
And Duff’s brought in one song - Duff said it all in one song- it’s called ‘Why do you look at me when you hate me?’ and it’s just bad-assed [Stick To Your Guns by Mick Wall; Kerrang, 21st and 28th of April 1990]
Talking about working on songs in Chicago without Axl and Izzy: We did get some work done. We finished 'Civil War' and wrote 'Get In The Ring' and 'Pretty Tied Up,' to name a few [Duff's autobiography, "It's So Easy", 2011, p. 151]
'Get In The Ring' was a song that was… basically put together by Slash and Duff, and I came up with the low vocal part. And Slash and I wrote that part together. We wrote different verses. And we wrote a whole song that when the whole band actually had the song together, the words didn't fit the arrangement of the song. And so, we were in Toronto, playing a show in Toronto. And we had one last song to finish recording, that was 'Get In The Ring'. So, we went in the studio and just kind of started putting things together. And then Duff decided that I should express my feelings about how we've been treated by the press, because that was his initial concept for the song, and that I should just go for it. And I was kind of like: "Are you sure? You sure I should do this?". And then Tom Zutaut, of Geffen, was there and he was like: "Go for it." So I got behind the mike and went for it. And everybody was really happy and we just decided to do it. And this naming names, and things like that, were because most bands can't afford to express how they feel about how they're treated in the press, because they need the press so much. And I know that this could hurt us, but we're in a position where I think we owe it to ourselves, and we owe it to an element of the public...[GN'R on WNEW 102.7 - September, 1991]
Axl's real critical of himself, and his anger seems to propel him in a lot of ways. That song 'Get I The Ring', I really love a lot of the lyrics just cos they're really aggressive. Axl played guitar on that track as well, that was the first time I saw him play electric guitar, and he did pretty well. I was digging it cos it was a god punk energy. But with all the names at the end I was thinking, shit! I wouldn't have slagged people off on my record [Kerrang!, September 1992]
You know what, I wrote part of that song. The title was "Why do you look at me when you hate me", and it was about the press writing shit about us. Well, why do you write about us if you actually hate us? I could give you the names of those that hated us. Why didn't the press hire another people to write about us, instead of bashing us? Why did they have to write about us? I was very idealistic and I thought the world had changed. You need a lot of negative energy within to write so much about someone you actually hate. [...] Then Axl took it very personal. He thought it a good idea. But definitely, if there's some filthy people that need to be treated like filth, who cares? Fuck 'em! [Popular 1, July 2000]
I just hated some of the music critics, the ones which were uninformed. When they just listened to classical music and didn't know about rock and then they criticised it. So I wrote a song, you know that ‘Get In The Ring’ song. For me, I’ve never been a pop single writer, you know about a boy and a girl that meet up and then suck dick, I’m not like that, I’m just able to write songs so that I can exorcise immediately. I just write songs as my therapy [Clash Music, November 2009]
That was not my idea, you know, that was Tom Zutaut and Duff McKagan's idea. Because there was this blank space in the song, and I was 'We've gotta do something,' and they were like 'Why don't you just go in and go off on Andy Secher and Bob Guccione Jr?' and 'Sure, yeah, yeah' and eventually I did and everybody was happy with it. But when it hit the fan everybody disappeared. And I was naive and didn't realize the political wars going on between the different publicists at the record labels and their relationships with The Rolling Stone and Spin, and whatever, so I was set up but no one stepped forward to say anything [TMS with Eddie Trunk, November 2011]

Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder!
Plectra : 48824

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top