APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

14 Years

2 posters

Go down

14 Years Empty 14 Years

Post by Soulmonster Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:59 pm

14 Years Newbor11
14 YEARS
Album:
Use Your Illusion II, 1991, track no. 2.

Written by:
Axl Rose and Izzy Stradlin.

Musicians:
Drums: Matt Sorum
Bass: Duff
Lead and Rhythm Guitars: Slash
Vocals and Rhythm Guitar: Izzy
Piano: Axl
Organ: Dizzy
Background Vocals: Axl.

Live performances:
'14 Years' was played for the first time at Pantages Theatre, USA, on May 11, 1991. In total it has, as of {UPDATEDATE}, been played {FOURTEENYEARSSONGS} times.
Lyrics:

I try and feel the sunshine
You bring the rain
You try and hold me down
With your complaints
You cry and moan and complain
You whine an tear
Up to my neck in sorrow
The touch you bring
You just don't step inside to 14 years
So hard to keep my own head... that's what I say
You know...I've been the beggar...
I've played the thief
I was the dog...they all tried to beat
But it's been

14 years of silence
It's been
14 years of pain
It's been
14 years that are gone forever
And I'll never have again

Your stupid girlfriends tell you
That I'm to blame
Well they're all used-up has-beens
Out of the game
This time I'll have the last word
You hear what I say
I tried to see it your way
It won't work today
You just don't step inside to 14 years
So hard to keep my own head...that's what I say
You know...I've been the dealer...
Hangin' on your street
I was the dog...they all tried to beat
But it's been

14 years of silence
It's been
14 years of pain
It's been
14 years that are gone forever
And I'll never have again

Bullshit and contemplation
Gossip's their trade
If they knew half the real truth
What would they say
Well I'm past the point of concern
It's time to play
These last 4 years of madness
Sure put me straight
Don't get back 14 years
In just one day
So hard to keep my own head
Just go away
You know...just like a hooker she said
Nothin's for free
Oh I tried to see it your way
I tried to see it your way

Quotes regarding the song and its making:

Well, one's this song called '14 Years'. Axl phoned me up and said he'd written a song called '14 Years' too, which is a really bizarre coincidence [laughing]. So when he said that, I told him 'Well maybe we should use mine, 'cos it's already finished and we can get on with these fuckin' albums and get them out sometime in 1991!' So what we ended up doing was he heard mine, we tracked it, then he sang me parts of his song and made them like a bridge or a chorus or something.
The Vox, 1991

I moved into this apartment building and my next-door neighbor was West Arkeen, this crazy little guitar-player guy, this little freak. He went to the Guitar Institute a couple blocks from our house, and he came out of the Institute, and there was some guy selling an Alesis drum machine and a four-track cassette recorder. It was apparently Sheila E.’s bus driver. Somehow he got stiffed and he’s like, “Fuck it, I’m selling this shit.” So West comes home with this drum machine, [and] we figured out how to use the stuff. The demo of “It’s So Easy” was pretty great. West at this exact same time had taught me how to tune the guitar to open E. We used like, every feature on the drum machine: cowbell, woodblock, and everything on this demo. I sang it, tuned the guitars, put the drum track on, and it was just this cool little lazy summertime hit. West and I would recall all these “summertime hits,” we’d call them. I had an apartment and West had an apartment before we had a rehearsal space, and it became an encampment for about two months for the band. “It’s So Easy,” “Yesterdays,” and I think “14 Years,” a lot of songs were recorded on West’s four-track. I think “You’re Crazy” came out on the West four-track. Sitting in an apartment, we’d play a lot of acoustic guitars, so I think “Easy” was recorded on acoustic guitar. Thing about our songs, we played ’em all on acoustic guitar. “Night Train,” we wrote on acoustic guitar. Because we’d write them in little cramped apartment.
The Onion A.V. Club, May 2011

This is for all of those who, have the impression that we're any form of an overnight success, this is called 14 Years.
Los Angeles, July 29th, 1991

[After performing 14 Years with Izzy] I’ll tell you a little story about that song. So, long before internet piracy, there was Izzy. You see, Izzy would come in with a song and it sounded like another person’s song, and he would say, “It’s just music, man. Nobody owns music!” I’d go, “Well, they do, it’s called copyright.” So when we did 14 Years, I get to the studio and the guys come on and they go, “Thank God you’re here, man. Izzy just ripped off Free Bird!” I burned that part of the tape. I just had to share that with you - at his expense.

14 Years Newbor11

Last edited by Soulmonster on Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:18 am; edited 9 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76772

Back to top Go down

14 Years Empty Re: 14 Years

Post by Soulmonster Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:31 am

Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76772

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:37 pm

[After performing 14 Years with Izzy] I’ll tell you a little story about that song. So, long before internet piracy, there was Izzy. You see, Izzy would come in with a song and it sounded like another person’s song, and he would say, “It’s just music, man. Nobody owns music!” I’d go, “Well, they do, it’s called copyright.” So when we did 14 Years, I get to the studio and the guys come on and they go, “Thank God you’re here, man. Izzy just ripped off Free Bird!” I burned that part of the tape. I just had to share that with you - at his expense.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 88031

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down