APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Double Talkin' Jive

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Double Talkin' Jive

Post by Soulmonster on Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:41 am

DOUBLE TALKIN' JIVE
Album:
Use Your Illusion I, 1991, track no. 9.

Written by:
Izzy Stradlin.

Musicians:
Drums / Percussion: Matt
       Bass: Duff
       Vocals / Lead and Rhythm Guitars: Izzy
       Classical Guitar Solo: Slash
       Acoustic Rhythm Guitar: Duff, Slash
       Background Vocals: Axl

Live performances:
This song was premièred live at the Maracana Stadium, Brazil, January 20, 1991. In total it has, as of {UPDATEDATE}, at least been played {DOUBLESONGS} times.
Lyrics:
Found a head and an arm in da garbage can
       Don't know why I'm here
       Livin' on the run for oh so long
       I gotta go collect
       Double talkin' jive
       Get the money motherfucker
       'Cause I got no more patience
       Double talkin'
       -I got (lies)-
       No more patience man

Back in town an'a all new friends
       They sayin' how ya been?
       Fucked up and outta place
       That's how I felt back then
       Double talkin' jive
       Get the money motherfucker
       'Cause I got no more patience
       Double talkin'
       -I got (lies)-
       No more patience man
       You dig what I'm sayin'?!

Quotes:
One event got everyone talking  during the recording of Illusions I and II was the day there was a huge commotion in the alley. It turned out that the cops found a dismembered arm and a head in the Dumpster behind the studio. All I know is that we didn't do it, but Izzy turned the event into a lyric on 'Double Talkin' Jive.' And I got to do a great Spanish flamenco thing on that track, which was a gas to do. That song has a really cool electric solo, too, that morphs into an acoustic flamenco groove [Bozza, Anthony, & Slash (2007). Slash. Harper Entertainment: New York, pp, 316]
I don't know where that idea came from [to add classicalguitar at the end]. It popped into my head, and I picked up a really nice Spanish guitar, which I kept. It came out of nowhere, so I splice dit on the end. It's played with a pick. Duff's playing acoustic, strumming behind that, too. Then I put the lead on top [Guitar For The Practising Musician, April 1992]
I always thought Izzy's Double Talkin' Jive had a cool vibe. And I got to play that little Spanish flamenco part on it. It had just been so difficult to get into that groove. Finally, Axl, Duff, myself and Izzy had that acoustic session and basically sewed it up [Music Radar, 2011]

'Double Talkin' Jive' performed live in Tokyo in 1991 or 1992 (?).

Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 50301

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum