APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Dizzy Reed

3 posters

Go down

Dizzy Reed Empty Dizzy Reed

Post by Soulmonster Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:30 pm

Dizzy Reed NeWborder_zpsk3uwcgt1
DIZZY REED
Dizzy Reed Dizzy_reed

Real name/pseudonyms/former names:
Darren Arthur Reed.

Date of birth:
June 18, 1963.

Band position:
Keyboard.

Time with Guns N' Roses:
1990-present.

Shows with the band:
As of {UPDATEDATE} Dizzy has played at least {DIZZYSHOWS} concerts with the band.
Biography:
Darren Arthur Reed (born June 18, 1963), better known by his stage name Dizzy Reed, is an American keyboardist, pianist and occasional actor. He is best known as the keyboardist and pianist for the rock band Guns N' Roses, with whom he has played, toured, and recorded since 1990.

Aside from lead singer Axl Rose, Reed was the longest-standing and only member of Guns N' Roses to remain from the band's Use Your Illusion era, until early 2016 when guitarist Slash and bassist Duff McKagan returned to the band. In 2012, he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of Guns N' Roses, although he did not attend the ceremony. He was also a member of the Australian-American supergroup The Dead Daisies with his Guns N' Roses bandmate Richard Fortus, Thin Lizzy member Marco Mendoza, ex-Mötley Crüe frontman John Corabi and session drummer Brian Tichy. [From Wikipedia, August 2016]

Quotes:
Another band used the storage/rehearsal space [for Appetite for Destruction] next door to us and we could never remember their name...oh, wait, they were called the Wild. Dizzy Reed was in that band playing keyboards, and that is how he and Axl met and became friends [Bozza, Anthony, & Slash (2007). Slash. Harper Entertainment: New York. p. 252]

To the right of our [rehearsal] space was another one being used by a band called Johnny and the Jaguars. The members had come out together from Denver. The unspoken truth in Hollywood back then was that if a band moved to town from another city as a unit, it never lasted. I suppose all the influences and amusements L.A. offered were just too divisive. You had to wade through a lot of new shit in Hollywood, and your life was going to take some turns. For five guys to experience all those turns at the same time and react in the same way was almost impossible. Sure enough, before long Johnny and the Jaguars broke up. The other thing about bands from out of town? They were usually awful. True to form, Johnny and the Jaguars were not a great band. But they were a nice bunch of guys, and we later tapped their keyboardist, Dizzy Reed, to join our touring band for the Use Your Illusion tour [Duff's autobiography, "It's So Easy", 2011, p. 92]

A friend of mine is a keyboardist in a band called Johnny and the Jaguars and got in a car wreck and smashed his fucking hand. We want to dedicate this next song to him, because he is our bro. This song is called "Nightrain." This is for you Dizzy [Club Lingerie, July 24, 1986]

One of the sticky spots in the re-formation was that once we got into full gear, Axl wanted to add keyboards to the sound. He wanted to hire Dizzy Reed, the keyboardist from the Wild, the generic L.A. band who had practised next door to us in our dingy storage unit at Sunset and Gardner. Dizzy was a nice guy; I just didn't see any reason why we needed a keyboard player in Guns. I was adamantly against it and felt that it diluted the sound of what was already a great rock-and-roll band. Piano or electric is cool, but I am old-school and I was never into phony synthesizer sound [Bozza, Anthony, & Slash (2007). Slash. Harper Entertainment: New York. p. 300]

(...) in the spirit of keeping things happy, I finally and reluctantly gave in and so did the other guys. It wasn't worth going backward. Dizzy became a hired gun and we proceeded to pick on him relentlessly. He was like the Ronnie Wood of Guns N' Roses [Bozza, Anthony, & Slash (2007). Slash. Harper Entertainment: New York. p. 300]

Another thing Axl had been working on. One day Dizzy came down to our rehearsal. He must have had a terrible time, 'cos everyone ignored him for two weeks. I tried to be friendly. I'd say: 'Hey man, how's it going? I don't know what we're doing either! We've just been in this studio for the last two years and we're supposed to be making a record or something. By the way, do you have a keyboard?' - 'cos the guy didn't even own a fuckin' instrument. After a few weeks I said to him: 'Hey man, seeing as we're Guns N' Roses, maybe someone can lend you a keyboard or we can get you an endorsement or something'. In fact, the guy's turned out to be a really cool addition [The Vox, 1991]

Matt and Dizzy had never played with us as a complete band, because Axl doesn't come to rehearsals. They'd never seen Axl sing with us. And we didn't even have a set list for Rio. We have this 'pick list' we like to use. So, anyway, we tell Matt, three minutes before he goes onstage in front of 140,000 people, that he's gotta do a drum solo. And he pulled it off! He rocked! Dizzy, shit, the biggest crowd he ever played for was about 400, opening up for L.A. Guns at the Country Club. Let's just say Dizzy had a few cocktails before we went on, but he pulled it off too [Guns N' Roses The Illusion Of Greatness by Lonn M. Friend; RIP June 1991]

I had to get used to the idea. At first I thought, "We don't need no stinking keyboards!", and I really gave Dizzy a hard time. He was the new guy, and I would be like, "Your screwed up there. Just don't play." Now he's really part of the band and I love him to death. But he probably remembers how bad it was at first [Guitar World, February 1992]

Dizzy's an old friend of the band's, too. When Guns were all living in one room off of Sunset, he was in the room next door with his band. We used to have big parties in the parking lot. We always liked him. Axl thought that he was the only guy that could play like Axl enough to alleviate the pressure on Axl to have to play and sing. [Guitar For The Practising Musician, November 1992]

When we got really fucked up, we'd party in Dizzy's room. He was like the sucker in the bunch-you know how there's one in every band? We'd all party and charge it to Dizzy's mini-bar tab! [Kerrang!, March 1994]

The only man of the former lineup to stay loyal and worked hard every day [Rock in Rio, January 15, 2001]

Dizzy is a great singer and songwriter [Boomerocity, January 2013]

Dizzy Reed NeWborder_zpsk3uwcgt1

Last edited by Soulmonster on Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:21 am; edited 3 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76582

Back to top Go down

Dizzy Reed Empty Re: Dizzy Reed

Post by Soulmonster Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:40 am

Dizzy Reed Large_xBM9dXzgL8z6iDZInE5rki29k_vVzPgbO-xumne_SE
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:56 pm

Dizzy Reed LargeyysZ4XEu1FOsLJEn_u1OZS22LnARH_0BxmmRBHiF8Vw
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:49 pm

Dizzy Reed Large40mFGgswM0PUYuVyTl2NbOCYCfIhEMotZXlO6C0GBBA
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:12 am

Dizzy Reed Largei_WvRw_AX_oPilYVWblsiWm6jKGxYY5kA6ZyRgOJGug
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:56 pm

Dizzy Reed LargekpxesFa1gJq6NpLjJsRkNYw_fesG44067RGZoxDx-0E
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:09 pm

Dizzy Reed Large90PprpEDaHIuACo8s2NvGprd7cMZ7rpbH6EfXAfuC8g
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:12 pm

Dizzy Reed LargeC_kAez53yxvwa1pnxwiAWGXGwIU2LPBwKEVGpk8qx9Q
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Uli Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:10 pm

http://tinyurl.com/jmv6rzx

My Reunion With Dizzy Reed, 27 Years Later

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 5:15 a.m.

By Lily Moayeri

I’m a hoarder. I like keeping hold of everything in my life, tangible and intangible. I have calendars going back to middle school with one-liners for whatever I did every day.

Flicking through my week-on-a-page Filofaxes from 1988 and 1989, there are weeks where the word “Dizzy” appears so many times in a row, it looks like I was suffering from serious vertigo. The Dizzy in question is actually Dizzy Reed, who for more than a quarter of a century has been the keyboard player for Guns N' Roses. He's the longest-serving member of the group next to Axl Rose, and the only one with whom Rose never seems to have conflict.

At the time of the aforementioned calendar, however, Reed was a member of local Sunset Strip favorites The Wild, a group that lived up to its name. Between its five members, The Wild knew pretty much every female that frequented rock clubs within the boundaries of Los Angeles County — myself included. And if you met one of them, you became friends with all of them. So that's how I became friends with Dizzy Reed.

Almost daily, for two years running, I got a call from Dizzy with an invite to either hang out in the studio or to join him and his band in a myriad of nightlife activities, from frequenting the Cathouse and Bordello to occasional The Wild gigs. These invites were extended in the spirit of friendship with no ulterior motive. Dizzy was always respectful, always inclusive, always nice. He offered to play the piano for my late mother time and time again. We went to matinees to watch Heathers and Beaches. He cried at the latter while we ate Junior Mints that we squished flat first.

Despite all Dizzy's kindness, eventually I wanted off The Wild’s never-stopping merry-go-round. I didn't drink or do drugs and had no interest in becoming anyone’s girlfriend. A month’s holiday in the U.K. during my summer vacation from college allowed me to phase myself out. Oct. 4, 1989 was the last time I saw Dizzy, when he told me he had finally joined Guns N' Roses after a prolonged courting by Rose.

Twenty-seven years and 15 days later, I am face-to-face with Reed again. His eyes have not changed at all. Still clear and blue and friendly, he doesn’t hide behind impenetrable shades like so many people in his position would. I arrive to our meeting armed with a stack of pictures from the late ‘80s and copies of those Filofax pages, to remind Reed that at one time, for him, joining Guns N' Roses wasn’t the no-brainer it would seem to the outside observer.

“The first time I saw Guns N' Roses, I thought, ‘I want to be in that band,’” remembers Reed, who almost (but not quite) blends in on the noisy outdoor patio of a Studio City bar where he used to have a Thursday night residency. “But I was immersed with what I was doing with The Wild. We were family. We were brothers. We moved out here together. We went through hell and back together. I had to make myself believe that joining Guns N’ Roses was the right thing to do.”

Early on, The Wild and Guns N’ Roses were studio neighbors, living side-by-side in storage-turned-rehearsal spaces on Gardner Street off of Sunset. At first, the plan was for Guns to "borrow" Reed for Appetite for Destruction shows. But then he got into a car accident, broke his hand and couldn’t play. Guns N’ Roses carried on with their meteoric success, but whenever they ran into each other, Rose would remind Reed that they were going to need a keyboard player, and to be ready.

While Reed was squatting in an empty apartment in 1989, he got an angry phone call from Rose, who was annoyed at how hard of a time he was having getting hold of him.

“I explained to him, I don’t live anywhere. I don’t have a phone. I’m living on people’s couches, just like you used to,” says Reed. “Within a couple of days, I got another call saying, 'Congratulations, you’re in Guns N’ Roses,' and I was on a salary."

It wasn't long before Rose put him to work. “I was down at A&M tracking basics for the Use Your Illusion albums during the day. I didn’t have a car so I would take a cab out to the Valley to some studio out there late at night to record stuff for The Wild, help them finish their record ... I wanted to do whatever I could to help them. Guns N’ Roses didn’t know — maybe until now.”

It wasn’t love at the first sight of Reed for the rest of the band — Slash, Izzy Stradlin, Duff McKagan and soon-to-be-fired drummer Steven Adler — all of whom he had known for just as long as Rose. In fact, for his whole first year with the group, everyone — the band, the management, the record label — treated him as a passing idea of Rose’s that would eventually go away.

“Being a keyboard player in a guitar-based world is not an easy thing,” Reed admits. “You’re always trying to prove yourself. I wanted to add to the music — even if that meant not playing on a song. I take what I do very seriously and over time, everyone saw that, from the crew to the producers.”

One of the catalysts to Reed’s acceptance, interestingly enough, was the changing of band members. But the constantly revolving door of musicians does take its toll on him, even if his attitude is simply, “It’s just drama in the workplace. No matter who is playing in the band, we work really, really hard to make it work. When [Rose] picks up the microphone, it becomes what it is: Guns N’ Roses. If you don’t believe that, you don’t have to be there."

Even when the much-hyped reunion finally came to pass, Reed took it in stride. “When I walked into that room and saw Slash and Duff, it was like 20 years ago. I had stopped thinking about them, but we said ‘Hey’ and just started playing."

He doesn't take his longevity in one of the world's biggest rock bands for granted. "There are so many fans over the years that have expressed their appreciation for me sticking with the band. That always makes me feel really good about what I’m doing. And now, I’m at a point where I can’t do anything else. What am I going to do? Start over?”

With his groups The Dead Daisies and Hookers & Blow on hiatus, Reed has been working on solo material. He finished tracking 12 songs eight years ago and got them mixed eight days ago, with an eye on a January 2017 independent release on iTunes — unless some record label wants to take that responsibility off his hands, which he is open to.

There has never been an issue with Reed working on his own music or with other musicians as far as Rose is concerned. Rose, in turn, can count on Reed’s unwavering loyalty. “If there’s ever any rift, I’m going to take his side,” Reed says frankly. “It’s not even a matter of agreeing or disagreeing. You can formulate all this stuff in your head and get worked up, but I know if I ask him about anything that doesn’t make sense, when he explains it, it sets everything straight.

“Axl’s the one that presented me with this gig," he adds. "It was his idea. He gave me this opportunity. He could fire me tomorrow. I try and give him my best, my all, all the time.”

http://www.laweekly.com/music/my-reunion-with-dizzy-reed-27-years-later-7559210
Uli
Uli

Plectra : 9462

Back to top Go down

Post by Uli Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:16 am

Dizzy on twitter:

Hey go check out the review on my upcoming album by @rollingstoneaus and shout out to them for the awesome review!
https://tinyurl.com/y7zgmdvs

#Australia!  You can now preorder my upcoming solo album, Rock 'n Roll Ain't Easy, via iTunes, JB HiFi, Sanity, etc - purple vinyl edition available exclusively from the SFR Official Store!

http://smarturl.it/DizzyReed-RockNRAE
Uli
Uli

Plectra : 9462

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:25 pm

Article in L.A. Weekly, October 30, 1986 about Johnny and the Jaguars, the band Dizzy was in then (and later was called The Wild). Dizzy is referred to as Dizzy Zin:
Dizzy Reed 1986_114
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87097

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:27 am

Dizzy Zin? Very Happy And I can't even pick him out from the photo.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:09 pm

Soulmonster wrote:Dizzy Zin? Very Happy And I can't even pick him out from the photo.
I'd say he is second from right in the photo, isn't he?
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:16 pm

With the cig? Yeah, that's my guess, too. Very brooding and zinful look.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:08 am

Dizzy Reed of Guns N’ Roses to play Mohegan Sun
Posted Nov 25, 2019

By Donnie Moorhouse | Special to The Republican

Dizzy Reed, keyboard player for Guns N’ Roses, is coming to Mohegan Sun in Uncasville, CT.

The musician is set to headline the Wolf Den on Dec. 13 at 8 p.m.

Wolf Den shows are free and seating is offered on a first-come, first-served basis.
Reed joined Guns N’ Roses in 1990 to perform on both “Use Your Illusion” recordings and has been a mainstay every since. In 2012 he was inducted as a member of the group into the Rock Hall of Fame.

He released his debut solo effort “Rock and Roll Ain’t Easy” in 2018.
Source: https://www.masslive.com/music/2019/11/dizzy-reed-of-guns-n-roses-to-play-mohegan-sun.html
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:18 am

New cover from Hookers & Blow:

I like the song.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:23 am

I like the original song a lot, too. And the cover is pretty good.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Soulmonster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:24 am

Dizzy goes crazy on the tangents keys. After hearing this version I want to learn it on guitar. Sounds fun to play.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:07 pm

Hookers & Blow has announced a spring tour with four shows scheduled in March. Read all about it here: https://bravewords.com/news/hookers-blow-announce-spring-tour-dates
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:27 am

Tracklist for H&B's upcoming debut album:

"Rocks Off" (The Rolling Stones)
"Shakin'" (Eddie Money)
"Trampled Underfoot" (Led Zeppelin) -- featuring Frankie Banali
"Ziggy Stardust" (David Bowie)
"The Winner Loses" (Body Count)
"Time Of The Season" (The Zombies)
"American Girl" (Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers)
"Godzilla" (Blue Oyster Cult) -- featuring The Okai Sisters
"You Gotta Fight for Your Right (to Party)" (The Beastie Boys)
"Under My Thumb" (The Rolling Stones)
"No Quarter" (Led Zeppelin) -- featuring Frankie Banali
"Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting" (Elton John)

Source: http://abcnewsradioonline.com/music-news/2021/4/9/gnr-keyboarist-dizzy-reeds-side-band-hookers-blow-reveals-de.html
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Uli likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down