APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1986.08.30 - Santa Monica Civic Center, Los Angeles, USA

2 posters

Go down

1986.08.30 - Santa Monica Civic Center, Los Angeles, USA Empty 1986.08.30 - Santa Monica Civic Center, Los Angeles, USA

Post by Soulmonster Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:54 pm

Date:
August 30, 1986.

Venue:
Santa Monica Civic Center.

Setlist:
XX. Out Ta Get Me
XX. Nightrain
XX. My Michelle
XX. Sweet Child O'Mine
XX. Paradise City
XX. Mama Kin
(Setlist incomplete and unsorted)

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Izzy Stradlin (rhythm guitarist), Slash (lead guitarist), Duff McKagan (bass) and Steven Adler (drums).

1986.08.30 - Santa Monica Civic Center, Los Angeles, USA Rightarrow Next concert: 1986.09.13.
1986.08.30 - Santa Monica Civic Center, Los Angeles, USA Leftarrow Previous concert: 1986.08.23.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76582

Back to top Go down

1986.08.30 - Santa Monica Civic Center, Los Angeles, USA Empty Re: 1986.08.30 - Santa Monica Civic Center, Los Angeles, USA

Post by Blackstar Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:33 pm

Review in L.A. Weekly, September 12, 1986:

1986.08.30 - Santa Monica Civic Center, Los Angeles, USA 1986_030
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87097

Back to top Go down

1986.08.30 - Santa Monica Civic Center, Los Angeles, USA Empty Re: 1986.08.30 - Santa Monica Civic Center, Los Angeles, USA

Post by Blackstar Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:38 pm

Ted Nugent talks about Guns N' Roses opening for his band at this show; Rock Talk with Mitch Lafon, Dec. 3, 2020 (transcribed by Ultimate Guitar):
"I love every imaginable approach to music. Some I love more - for example, 99% of country music I think is just embarrassing, it's just garbage.

"It sounds like a death song for a wounded puppy, it's just so unenergized and so pussified, I just really can't stand most country music.

"But I love all rock 'n' roll. And I remember when Guns N' Roses - I think it was one of the first gigs - they opened up for us at the Santa Monica Civic Center.

"I think it was probably around '84, maybe, Anyhow, I could tell as soon as they hit the stage - whoa!

"I've seen the beasts, I've seen The Stones, I hung out with Keith Richards - and he's my polar opposite lifestyle guy but I still revere the soulfulness of what Keith Richards brings back.

"The black influences he does as good as any black guy, dare I say. And that's so important to emotional and authoritative music that I literally sponged whatever it is the essence of Keith Richards when I hung out with him for a few days.

"So I know that they are dirty white boys, and I could tell also another important reference...

"I witnessed the ferocity, and I'm really good with describing things, but I'm helpless to adequately describe the animal fire and musical authority of the MC5 in '67, '68, and in the first half of '69 before the drugs destroyed them and took away all their erectile capabilities.

"What I saw in Guns N' Roses that night, it reminded me, not that I needed it, that the pulsations of a garage band virtually uninhibited with youthful enthusiasm can still deliver a Little Richard firestorm.

"Guns N' Roses that night, I went, 'Whoa, who the hell are these guys?!' This frontman [Axl Rose], this is like Mick Jagger meets Steven Tyler, meets Jim Dandy!

"And boy, those are all powerful graphic references, aren't they? I saw what they were doing, I watched what Slash was doing, and the groove of the bass and drums, and the interplay - Stones-like interplay, Beatles-like interplay, The Who, Zeppelin...

"Really the best stuff. So I really went, "Whoa, Guns N' Roses, I'm gonna keep my eye on these sons of bitches 'cause they got the piss, they got the fire, they got the uninhibitedness.'

"Now, as they went forward, and you know that I absolutely hate substance abuse, I think it's the dumbest thing a man can possibly inflict his family with.

"I mean, I was with Keith Richards for two days so I can't be too judgmental! Plus he defies all my predictions about what drugs will do to you - all the dead guys are dead, but Keith isn't!

"My point is that I've also watched the tragedy of people believing their publicity and people believing the gushing adulation that I think ended up hurting some of the best bands in the world, including Guns N' Roses.

"But they still created killer music; they deserve all the love, and reference, and respect for their musical authority.

"They have musical authority and I reserve that accolade for a select number of musical forces.

"Because you can play great music and you can be a killer band with some hit songs, but to have musical authority, it's got to exude what's in your guts.

"And the Guns N' Roses guys really delivered that. So I've always admired that band."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-DtsQyojl8

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/ted_nugent_explains_what_he_thought_of_gnr_when_they_opened_for_him_shares_honest_feelings_on_keith_richards__his_drug_use.html
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Soulmonster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:32 pm

You know, the first time we opened for, like, for a real band – well, kind of a real band – was Ted Nugent’s Four Guitar Army. Now we have a three-guitar army. Anyway, the review consisted really just of this: they were like, “Guns N’ Roses was the opener. We have no idea if they were any good or not, but Axl has cool hats.”
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76582

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:35 am

I guess that was the review Axl was referring to (found in Marc Canter's Reckless Road, p. 297):

Guns N' Roses went over well, although I missed most of their set 'cause my ticket said 8 p.m. and they went on at 7:30. They sounded real bluesy, Aerosmithy, and nasty, and Axl's cool outfits and hats were an added bonus.
Review by Katherine Turman in Music Connection Magazine, September 29, 1986
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Soulmonster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down