APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Don't Cry

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Don't Cry

Post by Soulmonster on Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:56 pm

DON'T CRY
Album:
Use Your Illusion I, 1991, track no. 4.
Use Your Illusions II, 1991, track no. 13.

Written by:
Izzy Stradlin and Axl Rose.

Musicians:
Drums: Matt
     Bass: Duff
     Lead and Rhythm Guitars: Slash
     Rhythm Guitar: Izzy
     Piano: Dizzy
     Vocals: Axl, Shannon
     Background Vocals: Izzy

Live performances:
The song was played for the first time by Hollywood Rose Reunion at the Water Club, USA, in 1985. It was also on the set-list for GN'Rs first gig with the AFD lineup on June 6, 1985. It was played a lot up till 2001 and then a few times in 2007, 2009 and 2010. Bumblefoot used the melody as his personal solo for a while and eventually Axl came out to sing along. After that it returned as a staple in live shows. In total it has, as of {UPDATEDATE}, at least been played {DCSONGS} times.

Single artwork:
Lyrics:
Talk to me softly
       There's something in your eyes
       Don't hang your head in sorrow
       And please don't cry
       I know how you feel inside I've
       I've been there before
       Somethin's changin' inside you
       And don't you know

Don't you cry tonight
       I still love you baby
       Don't you cry tonight
       Don't you cry tonight
       There's a heaven above you baby
       And don't you cry tonight

Give me a whisper
       And give me a sigh
       Give me a kiss before you
       tell me goodbye
       Don't you take it so hard now
       And please don't take it so bad
       I'll still be thinkin' of you
       And the times we had...baby

Don't you cry tonight
       Don't you cry tonight

And please remember that I never lied
       And please remember
       how I felt inside now honey
       You gotta make it your own way
       But you'll be alright now sugar
       You'll feel better tomorrow
       Come the morning light now baby

An don't you cry tonight
       An don't you cry tonight
       And don't you cry
       Don't you ever cry
       Don't you cry tonight
       Baby maybe someday
       Don't you cry
       Don't you ever cry
       Don't you cry
       Tonight

Lyrics (alternative version):
If we could see tomorrow
       What of your plans
       No one can live in sorrow
       Ask all your friends
       Times that you took in stride
       They're back in demand
       I was the one who's washing
       Blood off your hands

Don't you cry tonight
       I still love you baby
       Don't you cry tonight
       Don't you cry tonight

I know the things you wanted
       They're not what you have
       With all the people talkin' it's drivin' you mad
       If I was standin' by you how would you feel
       Knowing your love's decided
       And all love is real

An don't you cry tonight
       Don't you cry tonight
       Don't you cry tonight

I thought I could live in your world
       As years all went by
       With all the voices I've heard
       Something has died
       And when you're in need of someone
       My heart won't deny you
       So many seem so lonely
       With no one left to cry to baby

An don't you cry tonight
       An don't you cry tonight
       An don't you cry tonight
       And don't you cry
       Don't you ever cry
       Don't you cry tonight
       Baby maybe someday
       Don't you cry
       Don't you ever cry
       Don't you cry
       Tonight

Information:
Only the vocal tracks differ between the two version, and even then only in the verses; however, in those verses, not only are the words entirely different, but the meter and melody are also slightly different. There is also a third version, officially released only on the single for the song, which was recorded during Appetite for Destruction sessions in 1986 [Wikipedia].

Band members talking about the song:
There will be a version of 'Don't Cry' on both records, one on the first one and one on the second. The one on the first one is the newly recorded version of the original lyrics and the second one is the newly recorded version of alternative lyrics, kinda like a '91 update. It's got different words and melody in the verses and it kinda happened while I was recording the other one. That's the song that basically, one of the reasons we got signed. People in LA that has been our fans since we started playing in clubs were always bummed we didn't put it on the record but we were kinda trying to save what we considered one of our ace cards, cause we didn't know if we'd sell five records, you know, or what (laughter) [Interview with Axl Rose, 1991]
This is a new, alternate version of the first song we wrote in Guns N' Roses and kinda the reason we got signed. Some people in Hollywood got pissed off we never put it on record [?]. So we got three version of the song on record. This is called 'Don't Cry' and this is my friend Shannon [Inglewood, August 2, 1991]
Talking about the time when he entered the band: Izzy and Axl already had some songs, and the other guys knew them: "Think About You," "Anything Goes," "Move To The City," "Shadow of Your Love," and "Don't Cry." And we did sped-up punk versions of the Stones' "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and Elvis Presley's "Heartbreak Hotel" [Duff's autobiography, "It's So Easy", 2011, p. 59]
It was one of the first songs we started playing as a band, in the incarnation, and it really put us across in the clubs. [...] It was something we would have recorded for the first record [...] Money was not allotted to do as much as we wanted to do [Making Fucking Videos, 1992].
[The audiences] liked 'Welcome to the Jungle' and stuff but 'Don't Cry' was, like, the most popular song. [...] It never came out feeling just right [for the first record] [...] and it was our most successful song to save it [for the next record] [Making Fucking Videos, 1992].
As a matter of fact, it is, like, one of the only songs I remember from the club days, it was like the only audible song because the rest were so loud. [...] I think it all just has to do with hope, you can't give up home or your dreams [Making Fucking Videos, 1992].
We've added a lot of new life to it, especially with Matt playing the drums. [...] It has kinda taken a new life, which is cool [Making Fucking Videos, 1992].
When we first wrote the song, it was the first song for Guns N' Roses. [...] Actually, we weren't Guns N' Roses yet but it was starting to become a reality and Izzy and I wrote a song and decided that we needed to get back together. [...] which was one of our most Hanoi Rocks influenced songs. We knew we had something. [...] I was sitting outside the Roxy and I was really in love with this person and she was realizing this wasn't going to work, she wanted to do other things, and she was telling my goodbye, and I sat down and just started crying a little bit and she was telling me, "Don't cry." [...] Next night we got together and wrote the song in five minutes [Making Fucking Videos, 1992].
About the lyrics: It was a girl that Izzy had gone out with and now she's a tattoo on my arm [?] [...] and I was really attracted to her and they split up [Making Fucking Videos, 1992].
We opened for speed metal bands and we'd do all our fast songs but we'd also do 'Don't Cry', and these guys with spikes all the way up their arms came up [to us] and loved that song [Making Fucking Videos, 1992].
I prefer the new version because the original is kinda like a nostalgia piece, it takes me through the history of Guns N' Roses and everything [...] and everything I've been through in L.A. [Making Fucking Videos, 1992].
About the alternative lyrics: I don't know that it's more up-beat or anything it's just where my head's are with that song now, you know, rather than make a nostalgia piece (...) And a lot of people who liked the original and it was their favourite song, license plates that says "Don't Cry" and whatever, heard the new one and kinda flip out like "How did you do that?", I don't know (laughter). But when I was in the studio I was like, "I don't know what's happening, Mike, but just let me go with it". And it worked out really nice [Interview with Axl Rose, 1991]
My friend Shannon Hoon, he's in a band Blind Melon, he's from Indiana and they were doing "Don't Cry" back there. They got a bootleg demo tape in Lafayette (...) and he's got a really gorgeous voice so we do kinda like a duet on the songs [Interview with Axl Rose, 1991]
It was [about] a girl that Izzy had gone out with, and I was really attracted to her, and they split up, and we wrote the song (...) I was sitting outside the Roxy, and you know, I was like really in love with this person, and she was realising this wasn't going to work, she was doing her things, she was telling me goodbye, and I like sat down, and just started crying, and she was telling me 'don't cry'. Next night we got together and wrote the song in 5 minutes. He'd been through some things with her, himself. It really means that even though the the relationship is not going to work, you shouldn't feel bad, time will heal, and you will feel much better. Everything is for the best. Heaven is above you, God is there to protect you, everything is going to be fine. Don't take it so hard [Making F@#$in' Videos Part 1: Don't Cry. (Geffen, 1992)]
On recounting the first rehearsals with Guns N' Roses: After three nights we had a fully realized set that also included 'Don't Cry' and 'Shadow Of Your Love', and so we unanimously decided that we were now fit for public consumption ["Slash", 2007]
Talking about the period after the 'Hell Tour' to Seattle: [Nicky Beat] had a rehearsal studio in his house in Silverlake where we'd go, set up our gear, and jam, and that is where the whole band really came together. Izzy had something called 'Think About You' that we liked, and we revisited 'Don't Cry,' which was the first song I'd ever worked on with Izzy ["Slash", 2007]
While I was recording the original version I started hearing another melody and words in my head. It really surprised me. I told Mike Clink, our producer, "Put me on another track! I don't know what's happening here but I've got a different song coming through my head and I want to get that on tape" [Shadow boxing with Axl Rose, June 1992]
With our video for "Don't Cry," and the fight that Stephanie [Seymour] and I had over the gun, you don't necessarily know what's going on. But in real life that happened with Erin [Everly] and myself. I was going to shoot myself. We fought over the gun and I finally let her win. I was kind of mentally crippled after that. Before shooting our documentary, I said, "This seems really hard, 'cause it really happened." And the night we wrote the scene, my friend Josh said, "Okay, how are you going to play that?" He wanted to rehearse and I was like, "Look, leave me alone." But he kept pushing until, finally, I stood up. I had this cigarette lighter that looked like a real gun and I said, "Look, I'm gonna do it like this." And I just went over and slammed around in the hallway a bit and threw the gun and said, "Is that good enough for you?" And he said, "Yes!" 'Cause I knew what I was going to do and from that point on he knew that I would be able to play the parts that we were writing. But it was a very painful process doing that and it's even weird now to be involved in a relationship where the person I'm involved with is actually playing parts that are written about the two of us, about fictional characters, about things in my past relationships. It's a very touchy thing to do. [...] One of the hardest things I've ever done was to film the drowning scene in "Don't Cry." We had four guys in scuba-gear and we were in a swimming pool, camera and crew everywhere, bubble machines, and the camera comes swinging overhead and they would say, "Go!" And they'd pull out the floater and all of a sudden I'd have to go into drowning, and I'm drowning. Then I'd flash the peace sign and they'd come in and rescue me and pull me to the side of the pool, and after three takes I was done. I couldn't do it again because I was so exhausted. But, it was a real mind trip because that's how my life had felt for I don't know how many years, especially in my last relationship. I've always felt like I was drowning and being pulled down. Trying to save us both, being pulled down and everything. When I went back to my trailer all of a sudden, I broke down for a bit because I was experiencing that "Okay, now that's over, and you've expressed it, got it out of yourself." But the closeness to the reality, that was just a metaphoric scene of how I really felt. It was so close to how I really felt, it was really disturbing and hard to do, but by doing it, it helped and something for me and helped me heal and get over certain things [[/i]Axl Gets In The Ring, Metallix 1992]
When I first hooked up back together with Axl and Izzy, that was the song Izzy and Axl were working on. So that was my first having to deal with another guitar player. It was on Don’t Cry. I’m going to Izzy’s house and hanging out with him to try and build up some sort of a chemistry. So that song is actually pretty classic in my mind [Guns N' Roses: The Hits - 1992]
It was May 2006, my first tour with GNR. Fans would email daily asking if we could please play 'Don't Cry.' I remember standing alone on stage in front of 100,000  people, taking a solo, and I just started playing it on my own, motioning the audience to sing along. For the next year that became part of my solo, a lone guitar rendition, the audience singing along, a moment where we'd really connect each night. One of the last shows after a year of touring, I played it as an encore and Axl joined in and sang it, for the first time in over a decade. [We] started adding it back into the set after that. Always loved the song, but after all that it has an added personal meaning to me now [Guitar World, September 30, 2011]
I knew Don't Cry from when it first came out, 15 years before I joined. In the first weeks I joined, fans wrote to me a lot asking if we could play the song - we didn't, so I did. Give the people what they want [GnR Paraguay, March 2012]

'Don't Cry' performed acoustically live at The Central, USA, May 1, 1986:

'Don't Cry' performed live in London, 2010:

Last edited by Soulmonster on Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:46 pm; edited 6 times in total
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder!
Plectra : 48824

Back to top Go down

Re: Don't Cry

Post by Soulmonster on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:48 pm

Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder!
Plectra : 48824

Back to top Go down