APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2007.08.17 - Asbury Park Press - Appetite For Self-Preservation (Slash)

Go down

2007.08.17 - Asbury Park Press - Appetite For Self-Preservation (Slash) Empty 2007.08.17 - Asbury Park Press - Appetite For Self-Preservation (Slash)

Post by Blackstar Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:23 am

APPETITE FOR SELF-PRESERVATION

Rock 'n' roll just isn't as dangerous as it used to be

BY ED CONDRAN
CORRESPONDENT

Slash has been a member of Velvet Revolver for five years. The Los Angeles supergroup, co-headlining with Alice in Chains tonight at the PNC Bank Arts Center in Holmdel, has enjoyed considerable success. Its initial disc, 2005's "Contraband," has sold more than 2 million copies, while the band's latest, "Libertad," debuted at No. 5 on the Billboard 200 in July, with 92,000 copies sold during the first week.

Even so, life isn't all about Velvet Revolver for Slash, 42, who can't escape the shadow of Guns N' Roses, the legendary band he left 11 years ago: Guess who's on the cover of Rolling Stone's Aug. 9 edition? GN'R, circa 1987.

Slash, who has been relaxing at his Los Angeles home pre-tour, is accustomed to answering questions about Velvet Revolver ? whose members include high school buddy/guitarist Dave Kushner, former Stone Temple Pilots singer Scott Weiland, original Guns N' Roses bassist Duff McKagan and ex-GN'R drummer Matt Sorum ? as well as about Guns N' Roses. Recently, Slash chatted about Velvet Revolver, GN'R and how he's survived a life of excess:

Q: Despite the success of Velvet Revolver, wherever you go, there's a GN'R reminder.

A: I know. Look at the cover of Rolling Stone. It's interesting to me that no matter what, that band is still on people's minds. It's on the edge of people's lips, good or bad, that's cool. I just don't know why they have an article on Velvet Revolver in the same issue.

Q: Perhaps to compare and contrast the bands. There are some similarities. Both groups have strong, identifiable frontmen. Not to get Spinal Tap on you, but you and Weiland are like fire and ice.

A: Working with Weiland is like working with Axl (Rose) in a way. They both have a lot to offer. But not to get Spinal Tap on you (laughs), Scott is a visionary. He sees things differently than I do. He sees the whole picture, while I'm a nuts-and-bolts guy with a short attention span. I see black and white and go for the punch to the chest. He sees things peripherally. We're a good combination.

Q: Producer Brendan O'Brien, who helmed productions for Stone Temple Pilots, works well with Weiland, but he also helped improve the guitar sound on "Libertad."

A: That happened because this album was really organic because of Brendan, who was like the sixth guy in the band. He just let us play. The guitar work was very natural and we left the imperfections there. Dave and I had guitar action. The atmosphere was among the most creative I've ever experienced.

Q: "Libertad" is more cohesive and muscular than your first disc, "Contraband." The disc has more of that old-time rock feel that's missing today.

A: We love that sound. We wanted to nail it with this album. The most important thing is that we weren't satisfied. Sure, "Contraband" sold a lot of copies, but that's not what it's all about for us. We really went into this project wanting to make an album that would still be around and played in 20 years.

Q: Like "Appetite for Destruction."

A: Yeah, something that stands the test of time like "Appetite for Destruction." Why that album still does so well, well, your guess is as good as mine.

Q: I think it has something to do with the danger element. Rock just isn't as dangerous as it was 20 years ago, particularly at Guns' shows.

A: The danger aspect is right on, because when I go to shows today, it's just about always safe and predictable.

Q: Part of the reason for that is that there are so few entertaining and exciting frontmen. However, you're working with Weiland and then there was Axl. Both can be captivating.

A: It's true. Scott has a sense of style and charisma. Axl was a great entertainer as well. But those days with Axl are so long ago, and part of the reason the way things went the way they did with Guns N' Roses was because that band is all about excess, which was one of the reasons the band didn't last forever.

Q: You've been through a lot between band tensions and rock 'n' roll excesses. How have you survived?

A: There are two things that have helped me survive. There's my guitar and my music, and sometimes that wasn't enough. The real grounding factor is my family. I'm married and I have two kids, who are 5 and 3. That's been a real stabilizing force. When London, my oldest, was born, I still hadn't learned my lesson. I still toyed with self-destruction. But that's not the way I am anymore. I need self-preservation more than anything.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85695

Back to top Go down