APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2019.11.08 - Loudersound - Taylor Hawkins: how I nearly joined Guns N' Roses and other stories

2 posters

Go down

2019.11.08 - Loudersound - Taylor Hawkins: how I nearly joined Guns N' Roses and other stories Empty 2019.11.08 - Loudersound - Taylor Hawkins: how I nearly joined Guns N' Roses and other stories

Post by Blackstar Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:43 pm

Taylor Hawkins: how I nearly joined Guns N' Roses and other stories

By Dave Everley

[...]

As Taylor Hawkins releases his new album Get The Money, we get inside the mind of the "frustrated frontman" to talk star-studded cameos, trusting your instincts and what it's like having Dave Grohl as a boss

Hawkins actually had a chance to bail on the Foos [Foo Fighters] even before that. The band were in London in support of There Is Nothing Left To Lose when he got a call from his mom back in the States. Someone from Guns N’ Roses management had called asking for him.

“Axl was trying to get together a new version of Guns N’ Roses, and I think he was checking around for people,” he says. “They wanted to know if I would come in and try out or whatever. It was kind of otherworldly.”

Hawkins did what anyone did: he called Roger Taylor for advice. Here he slips into another impression, that of a well-heeled British rock star. “He said, ‘Mate, let me tell you a story…’”

The story was that, in the early 70s, Taylor was approached by former Mott The Hoople singer Ian Hunter and guitarist Mick Ronson. Queen had supported Mott on tour, and the pair wanted to recruit him for their post-Mott band. They were going to call it Hunter Ronson Taylor.

The drummer considered the offer. Queen had yet to break into the superstar bracket, and the offer was tempting. But he had too much belief in the band to desert it. He couldn’t imagine being onstage and looking up and not seeing Freddie Mercury or Brian May in front of him.

“And he said, ‘I see you and Dave onstage and there’s something you can’t buy there. There’s something between you guys that might not be there with Axl Rose.’ And he was right.’”

[...]

Full interview:
https://www.loudersound.com/features/taylor-hawkins-how-i-nearly-joined-guns-n-roses-and-other-stories

Last edited by Blackstar on Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85695

Back to top Go down

2019.11.08 - Loudersound - Taylor Hawkins: how I nearly joined Guns N' Roses and other stories Empty Re: 2019.11.08 - Loudersound - Taylor Hawkins: how I nearly joined Guns N' Roses and other stories

Post by Soulmonster Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:00 am

That's news to me!
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76232

Back to top Go down