APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

XX. Notes

2 posters

Page 9 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 18  Next

Go down

XX. Notes - Page 9 Empty Re: XX. Notes

Post by Blackstar Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:06 pm

Members of CKY on touring with GN'R in 2002

Rolling Stone, Februry 11, 2003:
[...] Along the way the band made an important friend in Axl Rose, who personally chose the group to open for Guns n' Roses on their big North American comeback tour. Although the trek started and ended in riots and was ultimately cut short, CKY has no regrets.

"We got to play Madison Square Garden with Guns n' Roses," says guitarist Chad Ginsberg. "That's cool as shit! Axl gave us a great opportunity. He was really into us."

CKY even had a chance to bond with the reclusive singer. "We went to a strip club in Toronto with Axl," Ginsberg remembers. "This girl danced to 'November Rain,' and Axl just put his head down in embarrassment." [...]
https://web.archive.org/web/20030424094848/http://www.rollingstone.com/news/newsarticle.asp?nid=17554

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, February 28, 2003:

XX. Notes - Page 9 Notes-29
XX. Notes - Page 9 Notes-28
Guns N’ Roses fans may remember CKY as the opening band that addressed the crowd at Mellon Arena by replacing the “P” in Pittsburgh with “S-h.”

Bassist Vern Zaborowski, just waking up at 3 in the afternoon in South Carolina (and not happy about it), says the band didn’t mean anything by it.

“I was saying it because at our shows people love it,” he says. “Kids love it there. But our fans are a lot less offended by words than Guns N’ Roses’ drunken idiot ignorant fans.”

Zaborowski will tell you that CKY’S truncated run with the troubled GNR wasn’t as bad for them as people might think. Sure, they weren’t able to hear themselves very well and were prohibited from taping their own sets. But they did get to jam with Buckethead and, he says, “there was a riot on the first show and the last show. That’s a perfectly symmetrical tour.”
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85486

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:12 pm

Article in Billboard, July 26, 2003; Mention of GN’R recording at the Village Studios and of the precautions against leaks:
Web Leaks Spear Studio Clampdown

[...]

At the Village Recorder in West Los Angeles, where Korn recorded "Untouchables," CEO Jeff Greenberg notes that content security was stepped up more than 18 months ago. Though he will not confirm it, it has long been understood that a project arousing tremendous curiosity - "Chinese Democracy" by Guns N' Roses - is in progress at the Village.

"We're doing some really high-profile stuff, and we're very, very cautious," Greenberg says. "Our staff is not permitted to listen to anything in the building unless the clients are present."
XX. Notes - Page 9 Notes-30
XX. Notes - Page 9 Notes-31

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:25 pm

In August 2003 there was a GN'R concert hoax in Hungary.

Blabbermouth, August 28, 2003:
Hungarian Police Seek Perpetrators Of Elaborate Guns N' Roses Concert Hoax

Police in Budapest are looking for the perpetrators of an elaborate Guns N' Roses concert hoax that has resulted in the sale of 3,000 "tickets" to a fictitious show by Axl Rose and Co. in the Hungarian capital.

According to Joe Nemes, an American Studies major at ELTE University in Budapest who first brought this story to our attention, the alleged scam began several days ago when large posters (photo) began popping up around the city inviting the public to attend the only Hungarian show on GNR's "Chinese Democracy Tour" — purportedly to be held on Sept. 26, 2003 at an airport site that is currently only partly used. "So, amid the Budapest Parade and the Formula 1 race at Hungaroring, someone already started selling the tickets [photo] at 11,000 forints apiece (about $45 each) to fans [who did] not [realize that] this [was] a hoax," says Joe. "The 'ticketing agent' also set up a stand at a parking lot of a huge shopping mall.

"Although the whole thing was going on for 3-4 days at the most (from the appearance of the first commercial poster to the hours where the police were looking for the vendor at the parking lot) the guy(s) managed to sell at least 3,000 tickets, raking in well over $100,000 from ticket sales. Fortunately, there are high-quality photos of the vendor selling tickets at the parking lot, so it's [only] a matter of time before they catch him."
XX. Notes - Page 9 Gp_1110
XX. Notes - Page 9 Gp_1210

https://blabbermouth.net/news/hungarian-police-seek-perpetrators-of-elaborate-guns-n-roses-concert-hoax/

Blabbermouth, October 16, 2003:
Hungarian Guns N' Roses Concert Hoax Perpetrators Arrested, Charged With Fraud

Hungarian police have arrested three people in connection with an elaborate Guns N' Roses concert hoax that resulted in the sale of a number of "tickets" to a fictitious show by Axl Rose and Co. in Budapest.

The two men and one woman — identified as S. Boldizsár (26), H. György (24), and K. Mónika (26) — allegedly made 704,000 forints ($3,000) on the scam, far short of the $100,000 that they had been rumored to have collected by selling bogus GNR concert tickets during the Budapest Parade and the Formula 1 race at Hungaroring.

The alleged fraud began in late August when large posters began popping up around the Hungarian capital inviting the public to attend the only Hungarian show on GNR's "Chinese Democracy Tour" — which the scam perpetrators claimed was to be held on Sept. 26, 2003 at an airport site that is currently only partly used. A stand was set up at a parking lot of a huge shopping mall and tickets were being sold at 11,000 forints apiece (about $45 each) to fans who didn't realize that the entire thing was a hoax.
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/hungarian-guns-n-roses-concert-hoax-perpetrators-arrested-charged-with-fraud/

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:38 pm

In early 2003 an Axl impersonator appeared in various GN'R message boards and Axl's lawyers sent a C&D letter through management (Sanctuary Group). Htgth, March 13, 2003:
To Whom It May Concern:

This law firm represents W. Axl Rose and the musical group "Guns N' Roses." We have been advised that without authorization you are submitting posts on various on-line message boards and chat rooms using the screen names "LatigoBurns" or "LatigoHammers," signing your posts as "Axl" and in fact purporting to be Mr. Rose.

Please be advised that your actions constitute, among other offenses, a wrongful use and misappropriation of Mr. Rose's name in violation of his federal and state common law rights, as well as federal and state statutory rights including, without limitation, rights of publicity, rights under the Lanham Act and certain rights under the Trademark Cyberpiracy Prevention Act. Your actions violate numerous laws that provide for civil and criminal penalties for which you may be liable, and provide Mr. Rose with numerous remedies including, without limitation, injunctive relief and recovery of actual and/or statutory damages.

Demand is hereby made that you immediately cease and desist from using Mr. Rose's name in any manner, and that you immediately cease and desist from fraudulently holding yourself out publicly as Mr. Rose. In the event that you fail to do so, Mr. Rose has instructed us to vigorously pursue all legal action necessary to protect his rights.

Nothing contained herein or omitted herefrom shall constitute an admission as to any matter or as a waiver or full explication of our client's rights, remedies, contentions, damages and defenses, each of which is specifically reserved.
http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/news/shownews.php?newsid=655
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:44 pm

From an interview with Vernon Reid of Living Colour, Metal Refuge, October 17, 2003:
MR: O.k. lets move on. Another from David. What is your take on reunions that have gone down, like Jane's Addiction, Velvet Revolver... And he also wants to know what you think of the debacle that is Guns N' Roses.

VR: [...] As far as Guns N' Roses, I have a lot of... in a weird way I have a lot of empathy and sympathy for Axl, because he has been grappling with his sense of unworthiness or whatever. What ever things he's been grappling with, he's been grappling with them for a long time. Is it possible for there to be a reunion between him and Slash? You know, there is a lot there.

I love the idea of Bucketthead in Guns N' Roses. Its an outrageous idea. The whole idea of turning Guns N' Roses into this kind of twisted carnival, kind of demented carnival thing. I definitely enjoy that, but at the same time its a difficult thing. There are a lot of expectations. Obviously he wants it to be a certain thing, and he's determined that its going to be this thing that he wants it to be. And at the same time, the fans, whether they say it or not, they want it to be a certain way. There is no right or wrong. Ultimately you have to find a language to bring that back to life or leave it alone. Either he is going to let Slash find a way to you know, really make music, or he finds a new way with Bucketthead, or whoever. But the demons of the past, all the expectations, and all the nasty things that people are going to say, whatever... The thing is, he is kind of doing... you know I can totally empathize with the fact that it is all kind of happening for him in public. And I really wish him well! You know, Living Colour and Guns 'N Roses haven't always been on the best of terms, but I really wish him well with it. You know, quiet as its kept, I was a fan of Appetite For Destruction as much as anyone. They are a great band. Whatever else has gone on good or bad or indifferent, if something positive would happen, I am all for it!

MR: Yeah, and you know I am really glad, Vernon, that you mentioned all of that because people speak so negatively of the 'persona' that Axl is, and for you to actually provide an alternate perspective for how things are, hopefully it will get people to think a little bit.
https://web.archive.org/web/20031211000510/http://www.metalrefuge.com/interviews/lcvr2.html
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:52 pm

Interview with Michael Monroe on Metal Sludge, March 2, 2004:
4. Axl Rose once said that: "If Hanoi Rocks would have reached the success they should have had, no-one would have ever heard of Guns 'N' Roses." Do you think that's true?

"If pigs could fly..." If Razzle hadn't died, if we hadn't split up in ‘84... there's no way of knowing.
Axl actually said that to me too, and it's possible. Could be. He actually said nobody would know about Guns 'N' Roses, Motley Crue or any of that stuff. I think Guns N Roses have a strong thing and they always did. That's why they were not afraid to mention Hanoi as one of their influences. But certain other bands, for sure, would have paled in comparison had we been luckier. I don't know, it's hard to say. Who knows? It's possible. I think Guns 'N' Roses and Hanoi would have been good together. I think Hanoi Rocks is more like a rock 'n' roll band, sound wise, and Guns 'N' Roses were much heavier. They're more like a Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith type of heavy. We're more like the Stones, but punky. They had their sound which I think was pretty heavy so they're different types of bands, really. I think there would have been plenty of room for both. There can never be too many good rock bands in this world!

5. Rate the following singers on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 being somebody who sucks and 10 being a vocal God.

Axl Rose = 3 words: Dan McCafferty, Nazareth... and some advice: Lose the "hire d guns" and get back with the real Guns & Roses - Slash, Duff & the rest.

[...]

13. The Guns N Roses members were very much into Hanoi Rocks and they released your European back catalogue in America on their UZI SUICIDE label thru Geffen Records. How did this benefit you or the others financially?

Sure, we got some kind of an advance, but mainly it was great to have those records available in the States. I'll always be grateful to the Guns for releasing them. However, Hanoi not functioning at the time didn't help the sales... then again, Hanoi's greatness has never really reflected in the record sales so far...
Besides, when I did their single, "Ain't It Fun," it was a spontaneous kind of thing for Stiv Batters. They flew me over to L.A. to do the sax and harp on the "Use Your Illusion" album, which I did on that song "Bad Obsession." So while I was there I was playing in the car, I made a tape compilation of the Dead Boys for Axl and when he heard "Ain't It Fun," he was like "wait a minute." Cause he told me he had never heard of the Dead Boys. And I was like, "that's amazing, you have to know the Dead Boys." So he says, "I seem to remember this song, it's great, let’s get the band together, let’s do this song. Let's do it as a duet." Well, fucking brilliant! In memory of Stiv Bators. He had all these plans for a video, which never happened, however, I said, "all I want for this is to put 'in memory of Stiv Bators." Just to make people aware it's for Stiv. And it ended up on the "Spaghetti Incident" album. When we did it, it was magical. We sang it live together. We did a little ritual there and lit candles around us there, because he used to do that, he was like a magician in one way. However, we did the song and it was like the 3 of us were singing. It wasn't a duet, it was like Stiv's voice was coming through Axl. In places he sounds just like Stiv. It gave me the creeps. It gave me the chills when he said, "ain't it fun when you feel like you gotta get a gun." In a couple of moments it's just like Stiv. I was like, "wow!" He was definitely there. The guy who actually wrote the song died. Laughner and Cheetah Chrome wrote this. Peter Laughner was like the Dead Boys roadie. It was the only song he ever wrote in his life. And then he died. And when Dead Boys did the record, they recorded the guy in some hallway, he was drunk on the floor one night saying, "I'm dead, I'm dead." So at the end of the Dead Boys version, when it fades out you can hear the echo of the guy going, "I'm dead, I'm dead." So Axl heard that and was like "Fuck man, maybe we shouldn't do this song." And I was like, "no, no, no, no, no, Stiv was about love. This is the right thing. It couldn't be anymore right than this." So all I asked for was mention Stiv Bators name on the record, that's great, and spell my name right. Cause my damager at the time was like, "this will be big time then, should I speak to the Guns 'N' Roses manager?" I was like, "Don't do nothing of the kind. If I catch you talking to anybody about this I'll kill you, you bastard. You're not going to fuck this up! I want to make sure the song gets on the album and that's it." I didn't get anything for it except a normal session fee for playing in the studio. So, it's never been a money making scheme.

14. The last of Michael Monroe:

Last time you talked to Axl Rose = So long ago, I can't remember.

[...]

20. Time for Metal Sludge's Word Association. We mention a name and you give us your thoughts.

Slash = One of the best, the right kind of guitar player. A good friend.
https://web.archive.org/web/20040305005822/http://www.metal-sludge.com/20QuestionsMonroe.htm
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:53 pm

Another interview with Michael Monroe, Rock Rage, March 5, 2004
RR: Are you still friends with Axl Rose?

MM: Well, I was very friendly with him whenever we bumped into each other, but I haven't talked to him in a long time. I speak to Slash regularly. I'm closer with him than with Axl. A weird thing happened when we played in Japan a couple of years ago. Axl was headlining the show with the new Guns N Roses, the hired Guns N' Roses. I never realized how much chemistry the original band had until I saw Axl with those hired guns. They were just sort of lost on stage. When Axl heard that Hanoi Rocks was playing the same festival that he was headlining, he got nervous and said he would not play on the same stage as us on the same day. I checked it out with many different sources, and he thought that the audience would react more to us than to him. That was a great compliment and a good favor too because it leaked to the press and people were like "Hanoi Rocks must be really great if Guns N' Roses are shaking in their pants." I did get along with him and he was very nice to me. I didn't think we were that good of friends until he was nice enough to give us that kind of promotion. I watched him on the monitor on the second day of the show and the guitar player [Buckethead] was just so mediocre. It was like watching a cover band, and they looked ridiculous. They had no connection with the audience. I told Slash myself that you were really shining by your absence. They weren't even doing any new songs. It was all old ones.

RR: Do you think Axl's ever going to release Chinese Democracy?

MM: I don't know. He's even beat Billy Idol for procrastination. Billy Idol used to be the king of that. Two million dollars later and you'd ask him, "When is the album coming out?" "Two weeks, two weeks" he'd say. There's probably different things holding up Axl. The guy got so much money so quickly, and you can imagine all the scumbags around him. It must be hard not knowing who your friends are. Let's put it this way, I don't envy him. It was funny, when I saw him play he opened the show with "Tokyo, do you know where you are?" Of course we're in Osaka, so I said, "Do you know where you are motherfucker!" Then he realized he messed up and tried to correct himself. Then a few songs later he’d say, "Alright Tokyo." I was like, 'maybe he should cut down on the Prozac or whatever.’ One time I was having dinner with Axl in New York City. I had a couple of white wines with orange juice. That's when I used to drink though. I don't drink now. Anyway, I was feeling good, but Axl thought I was really out of it. He's looking at me because I'm smiling and he says, "Mike, do you know where you are?" I said, "I'm in the jungle baby, I'm gonna die!" Oh yeah, I knew the answer to that.
https://web.archive.org/web/20040312151402/http://www.rockrage.com/interview/hanoirocks.html
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:06 pm

'APPETITE FOR RECONSTRUCTION'
A GUNS N' ROSES TRIBUTE RECORD

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4856p600-the-history-of-guns-n-roses-as-told-by-guns-n-roses#20160

More information about the "Appetite For Reconstruction" GN'R tribute album from Metal Edge, Sept. 24, 1999:
Appetite for Reconstruction delayed

While KISSonline issued a track listing for the Guns N' Roses remix album Appetite for Reconstruction indicating songs covered by a variety of bands including Union, Quiet Riot, Bang Tango, L.A. Guns, and Bulletboys in fact these tracks were recorded by the singers of these bands, not the bands themselves. Tracii Guns laid down all the guitar tracks, and vocalists including John Corabi ("Rocket Queen"), Kevin DuBrow ("Welcome to the Jungle"), Joe LeSté ("Nighttrain"), Jizzy Pearl ("Sweet Child O' Mine"), Phil Lewis ("My Michelle"), Marq Torien ("Out ta Get Me"), Taime Downe ("It's So Easy"), Kelly Hansen ("Anything Goes"), Steve Summers ("Think About You"), and Kory Clarke ("Paradise City") contributed the vox, and then the tracks were handed over to various remixers including Pigface, KMFDM, and Die Krupps. The album will be out October 12.
Tracklist (source: htgth):

1. Welcome To The Jungle - Quiet Riot (Pigface remix)
2. Rocket Queen - Union (Sigue Sigue Sputnik remix)
3. It's So Easy - Faster Pussycat
4. Nightrain - Bang Tango (Astralasia remix)
5. My Michelle - LA Guns (KMFDM remix)
6. Think About You - Pretty Boy Floyd (Die Krupps remix)
7. Out Ta Get Me - The Bulletboys (Meeks remix)
8. You're Crazy - Love/Hate (Spahn Ranch remix)
9. Paradise City - Warrior Soul (Sheep On Drugs remix)
10. Mr. Brownstone - Bang Tango (Rosetta Stone remix)
11. Anything Goes - Hurricane (Electric Hellfire Club remix)
12. Sweet Child O' Mine - Warrior Soul (Ex-Voto remix)
13. Welcome To The Jungle - Quiet Riot (Interface remix)

Last edited by Blackstar on Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:15 pm

Another GN'R tribute album was released in 2002 (although it seems the tracklist and the singers were the same, for the most part, as in the 1999 tribute album.

Melodic Rock, March 29, 2002:
Here are the full track listing and vocalist credit details for the forthcoming Guns N Roses tribute album, due for release from Deadline Records on April 30.
You're Crazy - Stevie Rachelle
It's So Easy - Fred Coury
Welcome To The Jungle - Kevin DuBrow
My Michelle - Phil Lewis
Sweet Child O Mine - Jizzy Pearl
Paradise City - Kory Clarke
Mr. Brownstone - Joe Leste
You Could Me Mine - Mitch Malloy
Used To Love Her - John Corabi
Don't Cry - Spike
Patience - John Corabi
Civil War - Christina Kartsonakis
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:01 am

A short film by Lowell Northrop, titled "Have You Seen Axl Rose?" was released in 2001. It was first shown at the Flicker Film Festival in Los Angeles in May 2001:

https://www.ibiblio.org/flickerfilms/films_2001_la1.html

and then in other Flicker festivals across the U.S.

Mention of the film in an article in Spokesman Review, October 9, 2003, about the Flicker festival in Spokane, WA:

XX. Notes - Page 9 Notes-32
[...]Other films include the likes of “Have You Seen Axl Rose?” by Los Angeles filmmaker Lowell Northrop, which treats the reclusive former Guns N’ Roses lead singer as if he were as hard to spot as Bigfoot [...].
The film is shared by Lowell Northrop on vimeo, with the following description:
Lowell Northrop: In the year 2001, there were 236 confirmed Bigfoot sightings in the U.S. Yet, there were only 12 confirmed Axl Rose sightings. For the past ten years, one of rock's most recognizable figures has been in hiding. Only a few people have ever seen him in public. What does Axl Rose look like now? How does he dress? Where does he eat? Is he more afraid of us than we are of him? This short film is a collection of actual eyewitness accounts from those who have spotted this reclusive creature in recent years.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:33 am

Short Slash news from the first half of 2001
--------------------------------------------------------------

The March 9, 2001 Snakepit show in South Bend, Indiana was slammed in the local newspaper review (South Bend Tribune, March 11, 2001) mostly because Rod Jackson invited three women from the audience on stage and prompted them to show their breasts:
XX. Notes - Page 9 Notes-33

Slash donated his dirty pajamas for a charity auction. The Desert Sun, May 30, 2001:
XX. Notes - Page 9 Notes-34
]THE PAJAMA GAME Slash was more surprised than anyone at the news that his pajamas have led the bidding on the Aid for AIDS charity auction that also includes items from Jennifer Lopez, Nicole Kidman and Jennifer Love Hewitt.

“I keep getting phone calls from friends about it,” the sexy Snakepit guitarist, formerly of Guns N’ Roses, tells us. “I have no clue why they’re going for so much.”

At last peek at the bids on eBay, fans had driven up the price of the rocker’s pj’s to $536, while J. Lo’s signed eye mask was fetching $88.99. Pillowcases signed by Kidman and Hewitt were garnering $152.50 and $255, respectively.

“I actually wore them, yeah,” says Slash.

And here’s a bonus: They’re unwashed.

“I figured they had to be real,” he says, “so I sent them out as is.”
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:49 am

Slash quotes in articles about the 20th anniversary of MTV in 2001
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Billboard, July 28, 2001:
“MTV has twice as much of an effect for artists than radio, because there’s that visual element,” says Slash, a former member of Guns N’ Roses, whose videos (including “November Rain” and “Sweet Child O’ Mine”) are often ranked among the most popular MTV videos of all time. “It’s always a huge crapshoot for a new artist to have a hit, but most struggling artists see heavy rotation on MTV as being one of the pinnacles of success.”
XX. Notes - Page 9 Notes-36
XX. Notes - Page 9 Notes-37
XX. Notes - Page 9 Notes-35

AP/Lancaster New Era, August 2, 2001:
Old faces at MTV 20th

[...]

But on Wednesday, as MTV celebrated its 20th anniversary, blasts from the past mingled with current MTV favorites at a star-studded blowout aired live on the network. The show opened with cartoon characters Beavis and Butt-head and a performance by punk band Sum 41 that featured heavy metal stars Tommy Lee and Rob Halford.

“It’s actually an exciting event,” said Slash, former guitarist for the late-80s rock band Guns N’ Roses, one of many at the network’s “Live and Almost Legal” party. “I’m glad to have reached some success in that genre... it’s very cool to have been there.”

[...]

Slash, 36, remembers watching the young network as a teenager. “I remember many hours glued to the television set,” he said. “I sort of grew up with it.”
XX. Notes - Page 9 Notes-38
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:37 am

Slash quotes on playing with Michael Jackson at Jackson's "30th Anniversary Celebration" mega show, which took place in New York on Sept. 7 and Sept. 10, 2001.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

CDNow/Allstar, July 31, 2001:
Slash Reunites With Michael Jackson At Anniversary Bash

While Michael Jackson's anniversary bash might be having some problems in the Jackson 5 reunion department, it's having no trouble landing top stars to join in the festivities.

It was just announced on Monday (July 30) that former Guns N' Roses guitarist-turned-solo artist Slash will join the King of Pop for the Jackson 5 performance and for Jackson's solo hits, "Beat It" and "Black & White." Slash has worked with Jackson in the past –- on 1991's Dangerous and a year ago on Jackson's forthcoming new album.

"I am so excited about working with my dear friend Slash again," says Jackson in a statement released Monday. "He is a brilliant guitarist whom I really admire, and I look forward to having Slash perform with me again on these two special nights."

Slash returned the praise by saying, "It's going to be a blast being onstage again with Michael. I am really looking forward to two great nights of music, and I'm honored to be a part of any event honoring him. He truly is one of the greatest talents known. Michael is timeless, classic and resilient. Here's to another 30 years."

As previously reported, the event, titled Michael Jackson: 30th Anniversary Celebration, the Solo Years, will take place Sept. 7 and Sept. 10 at Madison Square Garden in New York, and features hundreds of other artists, including Destiny's Child, Ricky Martin, Missy Elliott, and Mary J. Blige.

-- Carrie Borzillo-Vrenna

Star Gazette Aug. 6, 2001:

XX. Notes - Page 9 Notes-39
Slash reunites with Michael Jackson

Former Guns N’ Roses guitarist Slash has signed on to perform two songs with superstar Michael Jackson during his upcoming 30th Anniversary Celebration at New York’s Madison Square Garden. Slash, who appeared on Jackson’s 1993 “Dangerous” album, will join the King of Pop for “Beat It” and “Black and White” and is also expected to share the stage during the much anticipated Jackson 5 reunion.
Slash, who has recently been touring with his new group, Slash’s Snakepit, is equally excited about the collaboration.

“It’s going to be a blast being onstage again with Michael,” he says. “He is truly one of the greatest talents known. I am honored to be a part of any event honoring him.”

Jackson’s 30th Anniversary Celebration will be taped Sept. 7 and 10 for broadcast at a later date on CBS.

The San Francisco Examiner, Sept. 3, 2001:
When the king calls

Former Guns N’ Roses guitarist, Slash, is frantically getting things together to fly to New York today to join Michael Jackson in concert. “We’ll go right into rehearsals, and I’ll do the shows on the 10th and the 11th. It’s a little bit of madness at this point,” says Slash, who recently came off tour with his latest group, Slash and the Snakepit.

“This is all very last minute, and it’s such a huge production.” Slash hasn’t spoken with Michael since they worked together in Germany and Korea about four years ago, but says when “his people called my people,” he jumped at the chance to join Michael on stage again. “I’m going to be playing on the tunes ‘Black or White’ and ‘Beat It,’ but everything is subject to change.”

National Post, Sept. 7, 2001:

XX. Notes - Page 9 Notes-40
A star seeks rebirth

[...]

The star constellation is so megawatt – the show is slated to become a CBS special for broadcast later in the fall, when the Invincible album is released – there is some confusion over just how much will be seen of Jackson himself. The promoters say he will perform with [Whitney] Houston and sing old solo hits including Beat It with Slash, the guitarist from Guns N’ Roses who has backed him before.

“He’s a world unto himself,” says Slash. “Backstage, he has an otherwordliness about him.”

Sonic Net, Sept. 7, 2001:
[...]

One of the tribute's guest stars, former Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash, who'll be playing guitar on "Beat It," said that the Jacksons are no joke onstage. He's seen a sneak peek of their routines.

"I had my first rehearsal last night and there's this whole cavalcade of high profile entertainers that are [performing]," Slash said Wednesday. "I got to see the Jackson 5 perform for the first time in 17 years.

"There's a whole medley of old songs that I haven't heard since I was a kid," Slash continued. "It's gonna be an amazing show. They're doing the moves together, Jermaine's playing bass, the whole nine yards. It's great."

Slash said that Michael's solo sets are equally as on-point.

"The thing about Michael - all the media blitz aside and inquiring minds wanting to know about his personal life and this and that and the other - is when it comes to working, he is a consummate professional," the guitarist said. "He is one of the natural big-time talents I've ever worked with.

"When we go in to do rehearsals, we go in and we snap through things, and he's got such a natural feel about his moves, his singing, it all just comes spontaneously. It's amazing to see."

During the shindig, the audience can expect to hear some changes to "Beat It." Slash vows that his guitar riffs won't sound anything like the riffs made famous by Eddie Van Halen on the original recording of the song.

"I just did it my own way," Slash said. "I told [Michael] going into it, 'I'm not gonna learn the Eddie Van Halen solo, because that's Eddie's and I'll leave it alone.' I went in and just improvised yesterday and I'm gonna be playing later on today, and I'll just make up my own solos as I go. It's all about improv with me."
[...]

Entertainment Weekly, Sept. 16, 2001:
[...]

"People ask me about his [relevance], with all the young pop acts on the charts these days," says former Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash, who backed Jackson both nights on "Black or White" and "Beat It." "I guess what he's doing is putting out a Michael Jackson record," he adds, laughing, "which I would consider valid for that market."
----------------------------

Slash had also talked about it in the interview with Howard Stern which took place in the morning of the event (September 7, 2001):
Slash: [...] it’s gonna be cool, cuz we’ve been rehearsing and, you know, he’s got Whitney Houston, he’s got Diana Ross, there’s Britney Spears, there is... [...] That’s why I think tickets are so expensive, because there’s so many people on the roster. [...] The stage is amazing. [...] Actually I haven’t even been through or run through the entire show yet.
https://www.a-4-d.com/t4737-2001-09-07-the-howard-stern-show-interview-with-slash

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:34 am

Various Slash activities in late 2001 and 2002 (apart the "Project"/Velvet Revolver)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slash talks about his future plans; Poughkeepsie Journal, Sept. 20, 2001:
Now that Michael Jackson’s highly hyped anniversary concert is behind him, former Guns N’ Roses guitarist Slash informs us, “I’m going to put my nose to the grindstone. I’m working on material for another record and I’m going to get buried in that.” For the next Slash’s Snakepit CD, he says, “It’ll be what you’d expect from me... a lot of edgy, hard rock guitar. I also want to do a lot of the different styles of guitar playing I’ve done on other people’s records, like blues.”
(Slash probably meant a solo album and not Snakepit, as in other interviews of the time he said that Snakepit was over)

The Guardian, Dec. 14, 2001; Slash played with Ron Wood in London:

XX. Notes - Page 9 Notes-41

Blabbermouth article, January 15, 2002, about Slash's current activities and future plans:
Former Guns N' Roses axeman Slash will be attending the Aerosmith/Cheap Trick concert at the Sports Arena in San Diego, California this Thursday, January 17th, and a possibility exists that he will be joining the openers Trick onstage for a quick jam. In other news, plans exist for Slash to embark on a Japanese tour with Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood in March. Exact dates and venues will be announced shortly.

Also on the Slash front, the guitarist has been asked by the Los Angeles Lakers to play "The Star Spangled Banner" at this Wednesday's game (January 16th) versus the Miami Heat at Staples Center in L.A. Lastly, Slash has started work on his upcoming solo record, and has indicated that he will have different musicians performing on different tracks. Although some of the cuts will feature the hard rock style that most people associate the guitarist with, other genres will be prevalent on the CD as well, including the blues. No title or tentative release date for the effort has yet been announced.
The tour with Ron Wood in Japan didn't happen, but they played together again on October 30, 2002. Launch, November 1, 2002:
A second Rolling Stones guitarist made a surprise club appearance in Southern California this week. Ron Wood showed up to play with Slash at the Ivar club in Hollywood on Wednesday (October 30), following Keith Richards's drop-in with Stones backing singers Bernard Fowler and Blondie Chaplin in Los Angeles on Monday (October 28).

Wood greeted Slash backstage, posing for photographers and socializing with the former Guns N' Roses lead guitarist, and then came out during the encore for the GNR hit "Paradise City."

Slash's repertoire during the evening was largely composed of cover songs by the Stones, Black Sabbath, Queen, Led Zeppelin, and other classic rock artists.

It's not the first time the two have played together--most recently, Slash joined Wood onstage at the Shepherd's Bush Empire in the U.K. in December while Wood was playing a solo show.

Slash has known Wood since he was 13 years old--Slash's mother used to make stage costumes for Mick Jagger and other members of the Stones. A portrait of Slash, painted by Wood, can be seen on Wood's website, ronniewood.com, which features the Rolling Stones guitarist's artwork.

The Rolling Stones next play Saturday (November 2) at Edison International Field in Anaheim, California.

-- Phyllis Pollack, Los Angeles

In February 2002 it was announced that Slash and Perla expected their first child.  

New York Daily News, February 14, 2002:
Former Guns N’ Roses guitarist Slash and his wife of four months, Perla Ferrar, are expecting their first child. The 36-year-old rocker tells us, “The baby was conceived at Ronnie Wood’s house in London” in December after a generous intake of Guinness stout. “We’re thinking about maybe giving the kid the middle name Woody.” Slash, who was born Saul Hudson, is awed by the prospect of parenthood: “I can’t believe we are going to be somebody’s parents”...

Also in February 2002, Slash was asked to join a supergroup with Sammy Hagar and others, but he eventually decided not to.

Melodic Rock, February. 3, 2002:
NEW SUPER-GROUP PROMISES TO BRIGHTEN UP 2002 FOR ROCK MUSIC FANS

A new supergroup is being formed in Los Angeles, with plans being formulated for an album then a US tour. The group will be fronted by former Van Halen vocalist Sammy Hagar. Playing alongside Hagar will be long time friend and current Journey guitarist Neal Schon.

It's no secret that Sammy and Neal have been looking for a situation where they could work together again. News of the pair's intended plans have been the subject of discussion on a dozen Internet message boards.

Current Journey (and former Hardline) drummer Deen Castronovo is also involved with the project. But the interesting twist in this tale is the question of just who would be the bass player.

The hottest tip out of L.A. for this position is none other than Sammy's former band mate - Van Halen's own Michael Anthony. Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony have maintained their friendship over the years, despite Hagar's acrimonious split with the band he fronted for over a decade.

The only individual that has recently commented on anything related to the band's activities - Brad Starks, Van Halen's webmaster, was contacted for a comment, but had not replied at time of printing this.

It is understood that a legendary rock n roll manager is behind the super group's plans and is shopping a Studio Album and US Tour package to various companies.

The other rumour associated with this super group project is the possible inclusion of a second guitarist.

If so, the hottest tip from LA based sources is that the position was offered to and accepted by former Guns N Roses guitarist Slash. Planning is still in it's early stages and there is as yet, no suggestions on the board for a name to the project.

Until a formal Press Release is made available, consider this group a work in progress. No one yet seems sure about the time line involved here either. But I hope full confirmation of the band's line up, plus plans for the album and tour will be announced soon.
MTV News, Feb. 22, 2002:
SAMMY HAGAR MAKES TRACKS WITH VAN HALEN BASSIST, JOURNEY-MEN
RED ROCKER, MICHAEL ANTHONY, NEIL SCHON ANTE UP.

ARCHIVE-JON-WIEDERHORN
02/22/2002

A group of rock dinosaurs might be perfect for the soundtrack of a future "Jurassic Park" film, but "Spider-Man"?

Sammy Hagar and his former bassplaying bandmate in Van Halen, Michael Anthony, have joined forces with Journey guitarist Neil Schon and drummer Deen Castronovo and recorded a track titled "Vertigo" which may be included in the "Spider-Man" soundtrack and movie, an executive close to the project said.

The yet-to-be-named band submitted the song for cinematic consideration at the request of John Kalodner, the senior vice president of A&R at Columbia Records, the source said. The soundtrack is scheduled for release on May 3.

"Vertigo" is one of two songs the band has recorded so far, with the second being "Peeping Through a Hole."

The quartet was initially going to be a quintet with ex-Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash, but when the bandmembers entered the studio last week to record, he was unable to join them. Demos of the two completed tunes will be delivered to Slash's manager on Monday, and if the ex-Gunner is inspired, he'll join the old-timers to record a guitar part for "Vertigo" and maybe work on additional material with the band, the source said.

On his official Web site, Hagar described the group as sounding like a cross between Van Halen, Led Zeppelin and Tool. Hagar previously worked with Schon in the band HSAS, who released the album Through the Fire in 1984.

The executive stressed that Hagar's involvement with Anthony shouldn't be interpreted as either the end of Van Halen or the beginning of reconciliation between Hagar and his former band. Last month, Van Halen parted ways with Warner Bros. Records, ending a 23-year-long relationship with the label.

http://www.mtv.com/news/1452572/sammy-hagar-makes-tracks-with-van-halen-bassist-journey-men/

Last edited by Blackstar on Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:57 am

In 2002 Slash's rendition of the Godfather theme was featured in the movie The Kids Stays in the Picture.

KNAC.COM, June 19, 2002:
Guitarist Slash (ex-Guns N’ Roses) is scheduled to make an in-store appearance with film producer Robert Evans and composer Jeff Danna, in support of the release of the movie The Kids Stays in the Picture, in which Slash contributes his rendition of “Love Theme from The Godfather” by Nino Rota.

The in-store event will take place on August 6th at the Tower Records Sunset store in Los Angeles, CA beginning at 7:00pm. Slash, Evans, and Danna will be signing only copies of the Milan Records movie soundtrack. The film will be released in New York City and Los Angeles on July 26th, followed by an August 2nd release in Orange County and then select cities on August 9th.
Slash collaborated with Robert Evans in 2003, too, when he voiced his own character in the animated series “Kid Notorious”.

The Sacramento Bee, October 22, 2003:

XX. Notes - Page 9 Notes-42
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:40 am

Various Duff and Loaded related information, 2001-2002
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 2001 Duff played on the album by the band Mad for the Racket (featuring Wayne Kramer of MC5 and Brian James of the Damned).

Billboard, September 29, 2001:
Mad for the Racket, a new band featuring former MC5 guitar icon Wayne Kramer and ex-Damned and Lords of the New Church member Brian James, makes its bow Oct. 2 with a self-titled album on Kramer’s spanking-new indie label, Muscle-Tone Records.

Kramer – who began his career with major label releases on Electra and Atlantic – has most recently issued four solo albums on Epitaph.

Kramer says, “At a certain point I thought, ‘If [Epitaph head] Brett [Gurewitz] can do this, why can’t I do this?’ – which I guess is one of the underlying DIY principles of punk rock.”

Thus, Kramer and manager Margaret Saadi decided to found what he calls “your basic mom-and-pop operation,” which is now being distributed by Southern in Chicago.

First up is the forthcoming collaborative project with James. “Brian came by a show in Paris and said, ‘Let’s make a record,’” Kramer says. “It took a couple of years for all the elements to come into place. We really were able to collaborate.”

The result is a very strong collection of hard-edged rough-and-tumble rockers with a strong noir edge. (Kramer acknowledges the influence of writers Dashiell Hammett and Detroit homeboy Elmore Leonard on such tracks as “Czar of Poisonville” and “Trouble Bones.”) Former Guns N’ Roses bassist Duff McKagan lends a musical hand, as do drummers Clem Burke (Blondie), Stewart Copeland (the Police), and Brock Avery (the Deviants).

“We did OK on the drummers,” Kramer says with a smile.

Kramer says Muscle Tone will reissue the Epitaph solo sets and release a new solo album. He adds, “I don’t want to limit the scope, in terms of working with other bands.”

On November 19, 2001, Loaded were joined on stage by Slash.

KNAC.COM, Nov. 20, 2001 (the article also contains information about Matt):
Ex-Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash joined his former bandmate Duff McKagan onstage

Ex-Guns N’ Roses guitarist Slash joined his former bandmate Duff McKagan onstage for a rippin’ version of “It’s So Easy” last night when Duff’s band Loaded opened for King’s X at the House of Blues in Hollywood. The duo seemed to be having a grand ol’ time throughout the tune. Duff’s band includes former New American Shame drummer Geoff Reading, guitarist Mike Squires (whose session and touring resume includes Harvey Danger and Nevada Bachelors) and bassist Jeff Rouse (Alien Crime Syndicate, Shoveljerk).

In related news, former Guns drummer Matt Sorum (now back in The Cult) will release his debut solo effort, Hollywood Zen in March.
XX. Notes - Page 9 Mygnr_11

On January 28, 2002 Duff was joined on stage by Matt, Steve Jones and Billy Duffy.

CDNow/Allstar (Miss Truth column), Feb. 1, 2002:
Loaded in L.A.

Well, it seems Guns N' Roses fans haven't completely faded out waiting for Axl Rose to resurface again.
Lines wrapped around the block for Duff McKagan's latest band, Loaded, at Hollywood's Viper Room on Monday (Jan. 28). Looking like rock's golden boy with a fit, lean body and short, spiky blond hair, Duff cranked out a set of punkish hard rock, including a cover of his own GN'R hit, "It's So Easy."

Later, former Sex Pistol Steve Jones, the Cult's Billy Duffy, and former Guns' drummer Matt Sorum joined McKagan onstage for a raucous version of the Stooges' "Now I Wanna Be Your Dog." Billy and Matt joined McKagan's band again Wednesday (Jan. 30) night for a sold-out show at the Pretty Ugly Club at the Dragonfly in L.A. Loaded is set to hit Japan next week and release their debut album, Dark Days, in the States in June.

(Kastle)
Los Angeles Times, January 31, 2002:
The Viper Is Loaded for Good Times

So there I was at the Viper Room, sitting in a booth reserved for Scott Weiland and Billy Idol (oi!), when Duff McKagan and his new band Loaded took the stage. In a week of amazing rock shows, Loaded takes the cake. Despite being famous for Guns N’ Roses, Duff’s best years may still lie ahead.

Speaking of the Viper Room, I have excellent news for the world: As of this week, Dayle Gloria is booking the Viper full time. Dude, that’s so huge, there’s a party to mark the event Sunday at Bar Marmont. Eightish.

[...]

Hooked up with Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols at the Loaded show and totally forgot to tell him that his solo album “Mercy” makes Sunday morning. Thanks, mate.

Heidi Siegmund Cuda
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2002-jan-31-wk-buzz31-story.html
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:49 am

Quotes from Mark Lanegan on Duff and Izzy playing on his album Bubblegum.

Rolling Stone, Sept. 11, 2003:
[...] A pair of former Guns n’ Roses members, Izzy Stradlin and Duff McKagan, turn up on Bubblegum as well. “Having them singing on the record is like having Keith Richards and Ron Wood singing with you,” says Lanegan. “I’ve known Duff and Izzy for quite a while. I was sort of a houseboy for Duff and his wife for a long time.” [...]
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/lanegan-rocks-with-gnr-men-248237/

MTV News, June 6, 2004:
[...]

Working with a diverse assortment of guest musicians helped make the creation of Bubblegum more enjoyable for Lanegan than his other solo albums had been. One highlight was having McKagan and Stradlin sing backup on "Strange Religion."

"It was like having Keith Richards and Johnny Thunders both singing on your song," Lanegan said. "They looked at the words once and did it, and it was perfect. Then they spent a couple hours telling stories."

[...]
http://www.mtv.com/news/1488370/ex-queens-singer-mark-lanegan-spits-out-dark-bubblegum/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:45 am

Camp Freddy

That was a cover band collective consisting of five core/staple members (including Matt and Dave Navarro) and featuring many guests (including Slash). The first Camp Freddy show was at the Standard Hotel in Los Angeles on May 24, 2002.

Blabbermouth, Sept. 17, 2002
Jane's Addiction, Ex-Guns N' Roses, The Cult Members Join Forces In Camp Freddy

Camp Freddy, the "jam" band consisting of Jane's Addiction guitarist Dave Navarro, former The Cult touring bassist Billy Morrison (on guitar), ex-Guns N' Roses drummer Matt Sorum, bassist Scott Ford, and vocalist Donovan Leitch, have launched their official web site at this location.

According to a message posted on the web site, "Camp Freddy is not a band. We know that upon careful inspection it may appear as a band, but trust us it's not.

"Camp Freddy is a group of diverse musicians that like to get together, throw parties, and play cover songs that will kick your ass. If you are not into rock n' roll, close this window now.

"It started as a dare more or less. Donovan asked Billy and Scott if they wanted to play a gig for the opening of the downtown Standard Hotel in Los Angeles. They had 5 days till showtime. Always up for a challenge, they of course said yes. They pulled in a couple of friends, Matt and Dave, learnt half a dozen covers, and went off to do the show.

"They weren't prepared for the reaction, due to the fact that Camp Freddy had been no more than a passing idea for an occasional happening. The subsequent offers that rolled in were ignored and everybody went back to their day jobs.

"A couple of months later the opportunity arose to put together another Camp Freddy extravaganza, this time at Moomba in West Hollywood. Billy and Scott hit the phones with a vengeance and the list of guests who turned up not only for the show, but for the rehearsal as well, took the event to a new level. Although cameras were banned, pictures and video from the show began popping up all over the place.

"Will there be more shows? Is there going to be a record? If you wanna know, be sure to keep checking back here."
https://web.archive.org/web/20030818150449/http://www.roadrun.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=6162

The show at the club Moomba was on June 14, 2002 and the guests included Slash and Moby:

Dave Navarro and Slash during "Captain Morgan Gold Presents Camp Freddy", featuring Donovan Leitch, Matt Sorum, Dave Navarro, Twiggy, Billy Morrison, Billy Duffy, Robbie Williams, Scott Ford and a surprise guest, Alien. (Photo by M. Caulfield/WireImage)

XX. Notes - Page 9 2002_055
XX. Notes - Page 9 2002_054

https://www.gettyimages.com/search/2/image?events=75081367&autocorrect=none&family=editorial&editorialproducts=all&uiloc=view_all_more_from_this_event_adp

Moby wrote about the show on his website, Moby.com, on June 16:
i've been very busy here in sunny l.a. friday night, for example, i partook in the strangest celebrity cover-band that has ever existed. here was the line-up:

matt sorum and slash from guns and roses.
dave navarro from janes addiction.
robbie williams from robbie williams.
the two billy's from the cult.
donovan leitch.
johnny fayva.
me.
and a couple of other people.
it was really fun.

i did 'whole lotta love' and 'gimme shelter', but the highlight of the night for me was robbie williams singing 'fat bottomed girls' with slash playing guitar. ah, only in l.a.

Launch, Oct. 23, 2002:
Cult, Chili Peppers, GN'R Members Play As Camp Freddy For Pre-Halloween Show

Members of the Cult, Guns N' Roses, and Red Hot Chili Peppers will play as Camp Freddy for a pre-Halloween show on Wednesday, October 30 at an as-yet undisclosed venue in Los Angeles.

The Camp Freddy band (named for a character in the 1969 Michael Caine film, The Italian Job) features bassist Billy Morrison of the Cult, drummer Matt Sorum from Guns N' Roses, and guitarist Dave Navarro of both the Chili Peppers and Jane's Addiction, along with vocalists J.S.Clayden from Pitchshifter, Scott Ford, and Donovan Leitch, the son of 1960s U.K. folk-rock icon Donovan.

Confirmed guests for the night include Perry Farrell, Macy Gray, guitarist Slash, and Wes Scantlin of Puddle Of Mudd.

Founded by Morrison, Camp Freddy made a recent appearance at the club Moomba in West Hollywood, playing songs by the Who, the Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, the Clash, and the Sex Pistols. Guests that evening included Moby, Billy Duffy of the Cult, and British pop star Robbie Williams.

"It's not about money, or managers, or agents, but about motivation and fun. What we all got into the business for originally," Morrison said in a statement. "We play some of the greatest rock 'n' roll songs ever written, have a real laugh doing it, and invite artists that we respect to play them with us. It's the real spirit of rock 'n' roll."

The pre-Halloween show is being hosted by Blender magazine, which is giving away a limited amount of tickets on its website.

--Darryl Morden, Los Angeles

Blabbermouth, October 8, 2003:
Camp Freddy Sign With Sanctuary

Camp Freddy, the Los Angeles-based "jam" band consisting of Jane's Addiction guitarist Dave Navarro, former The Cult touring bassist Billy Morrison (on guitar), ex-Guns N' Roses/The Cult drummer Matt Sorum, bassist Scott Ford, and vocalist Donovan Leitch (the son of 1960s U.K. folk-rock icon Donovan), have signed a deal with Sanctuary Records and will begin recording their debut album next month. Mike Clink (Guns N' Roses, Metallica) will produce the album, which is expected to include guest appearances by Macy Gray, Perry Farrell, Kelly Osbourne and former Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash.

"We're covering all these glam and punk songs," Leitch told Rolling Stone. Among the cuts set to appear on the effort are T-Rex's "20th Century Boy", David Bowie's "Jean Genie" and Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love", the latter of which is expected to be released as the first single. "It'll be Matt on drums, Perry on vocals and Slash and Jimmy Page on guitar," Leitch said. "Slash is good friends with Page, so we're thinking he will put in a call [to ask Page to appear on the album], too."

In addition to the CD, which is due in the spring, a DVD documenting the recording sessions is planned for release sometime next year.
Blabbermouth, January 28, 2004:
Camp Freddy Begin Recording Debut Album

CAMP FREDDY, the Los Angeles-based "jam" band consisting of Jane's Addiction guitarist Dave Navarro, former The Cult touring bassist Billy Morrison (on guitar), ex-Guns N' Roses/The Cult drummer Matt Sorum, bassist Scott Ford, and vocalist Donovan Leitch (the son of 1960s U.K. folk-rock icon Donovan), entered a Los Angeles studio last week to begin recording their all-star "covers" album for Sanctuary Records. Tracking began on a number of songs, and although the track listing and guest appearances will be kept under wraps, the album is being made in the same spirit as the shows — amazing rock songs performed by a diverse and exciting list of artists.

Says Morrison: "We decided to make a record a while back, but with Mike Clink (Guns N' Roses, Metallica) behind the wheel, we are now set to actually do it. The whole point is to have fun and play great music, and that's what we are doing." The as-yet-untitled album is expected to be released this spring.

In other news, Camp Freddy will be performing at the Circus Maximus Superbowl party in Houston, Texas on January 30. As usual, the band promises a star-studded line up, amazing songs and a few surprises.

A bunch of pictures of Camp Freddy's January 19 performance at the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah have been posted online at this location. The band performed with Jerry Cantrell from Alice In Chains, Billy Duffy from The Cult, Steve Stevens (Vince Neil, Billy Idol), Richard Patrick from Filter and Mark McGrath from Sugar Ray. Songs performed included the Alice In Chains classic "Man In The Box" and Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love".
https://blabbermouth.net/news/camp-freddy-begin-recording-debut-album/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:05 am

Besides his many appearances at Camp Freddy shows, Slash played with Dave Navarro on another occasion. Blabbermouth, September 5, 2002:
Former Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash, Jane's Addiction six-stringer Dave Navarro, and ex-Rolling Stones axe-slinger Mick Taylor have formed a "supergroup" — so they can pay tribute to legend Jimi Hendrix. The new band, which hasn't yet been named, will perform a one-off tribute show to the guitar hero at San Diego, California's weekend music festival Street Scene this coming weekend. Additional dates are planned during the coming weeks.
https://web.archive.org/web/20030818143900/http://www.roadrun.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=5887

Dave Navarro talking about Slash and GN’R/Jane’s Addiction in the L.A. scene

The Toronto Eye (via Blabbermouth), Sept. 29, 2003:
Liisa Ladouceur of The Toronto Eye recently spoke with Jane's Addiction guitarist Dave Navarro about the fact that Navarro didn't make it onto Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 100 greatest guitarists of all time. "I was shocked, until I found out that Slash wasn't in there either," Dave said. "So I don't feel so bad. As far as living legends go, I think he's at the top of his game. I've played with him and worked with him and he's a mind-blowing guitar player." The remark brought up Jane's' perceived rivalry with Guns N' Roses in the mid-'80s, which Navarro says never really was. "There was a perception that there was a Guns/Jane's rivalry. There really wasn't," Navarro insisted. "We just came from different worlds. They were from the Sunset Strip rocker world. We were from the alternative world. We were both coming up at the same time and I think there were times when they wanted to do shows with us but we wanted to keep it on a more alternative level. Since then, Jane's has learned that there is a musical community and it's unnecessary to have rivals in something as sacred as creativity."
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/jane-s-addiction-guitarist-says-he-was-shocked-by-rolling-stone-slight/

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:25 am

The Project/Velvet Revolver

From an interview with Josh Todd of Buckcherry, Rolling Stone, March 11, 2003:
Josh Todd Bucks Gn’R
Singer moves beyond aborted supergroup

By NEAL WEISS

[...]

Late last year, however, [Josh Todd] thought his next career move was to be on a considerably grander scale. After a spirited and much-talked-about superstar club gig in Hollywood with ex-Gn’R players Slash, Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum, and former Buckcherry guitarist Keith Nelson, Todd teamed with the ad hoc group in a local studio to explore further possibilities. The quintet worked five days a week for a month and came up with ten songs.

“It was amazing, the band was slamming,” Todd says. “And then Slash just came in one day and just shitcanned the whole thing. He said, ‘I can’t do this anymore.’ And we were like, ‘What?’ It was a real drag ’cause the energy in that room was so amazing, and it could have been a really great thing if the egos would have let it [be]. There were just too many chiefs in the tribe.”

According to Todd, Slash soon began downplaying the experience. “All of a sudden [Slash] is in the press saying they’re auditioning singers now, and they auditioned me. And I’m like, ‘What are you talking about, man? You didn’t audition me? We did a show together!’ It was just so stupid.”

“I don’t know what his deal is,” Todd continues. “I don’t know if he was not confident in the lineup ... I was just so pissed off that I wasted a month of my time.”

[...] Meanwhile, Slash and company have since taken their vocalist search to VH1, which will document the tryouts for a new television show. “How gay is that?” says Todd. “What the fuck? He’s turning to reality TV? It’s like American Idol with the Gn’R band, you know? I just think that totally takes away from what it could have been, but, whatever.”
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/josh-todd-bucks-gnr-254667/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:30 am

Interviews with Sebastian Bach regarding The Project/Velver Revolver.

South Florida Sun Sentinel, Dec. 22, 2002:
Back home in New Jersey on a break from his current gig, Sebastian Bach weighed the inevitable question about what’s going on with his next rock band of choice, Guns N’ Roses.

The reconstituted GNR had just washed out its tour dates and the explanations hadn’t yet materialized. Bach is considered to have the inside track to replace Axl Rose as the band’s front man in the months ahead. But at this moment, he could afford to poke some fun at the wild and crazy world of heavy metal.

“I could be a member of the band someday but as of right now, I’m not. You’re talkin’ to somebody who does eight shows a week so I just cannot relate to Guns N’ Roses.

“There’s a reason why I’m the only heavy metal singer to take a Broadway show on the road in the United States—it’s because none of the other ones can show up on time.”

Then Bach explodes in laughter.

The 10-year veteran of the band Skid Row has gone from concert sinner to show business saint, in the title role of Je Christ, Superstar for its 32nd anniversary tour.

[...]

Bach, whose career has been marked by bouts of loose-cannon misbehavior (incidents of assault; drug-related charges; accusations of homophobia), landed the title role after showing his theatrical mettle in the Broadway musicals Jekyll & Hyde (in the lead roles) and The Rocky Horror Show (as Riff Raff) in the past two years. He’s scheduled to remain with Jesus Christ, Superstar until late spring, when the Guns N’ Roses issue is expected to come to a head.

“All I can say right now is that they’re pretty much trying out every singer who ever walked, and I’m one of them,” Bach says. “I’ve laid down five songs with them in the studio, and they’ve given me another 14 songs with vocals that I’m trying to tackle.

“But doing eight shows a week and working on the songs is mentally challenging. I’ve got a lot of energy but I’m using it all right now, that’s for sure.”
XX. Notes - Page 9 Notes-43
XX. Notes - Page 9 Notes-44

Asheville Citizen-Times (via Blabbermouth), January 8, 2003:
Sebastian Bach: Not Waiting Around For Slash And Co.

In a brand new interview with Asheville Citizen-Times, former Skid Row frontman Sebastian Bach reiterated his desire to join the new band formed by ex-Guns N' Roses members Slash, Izzy Stradlin, Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum, but expressed his concern that the two parties' conflicting schedules may ultimately make such a union impossible.

"We're talking about getting together," he said. "But I'm busy until July. Some people take so long to do something. I'm not like that. You can't get me off the stage."
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/sebastian-bach-not-waiting-around-for-slash-and-co/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:33 am

Regarding the Izzy and Sharise incident at the Cathouse, I have finally found out when this must have happened. According to this page, it took place in August 1989: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~cruekiss/89.htm

Unfortunately the site doesn't have any source for this, but I believe they have researched the chronology.

This would mean that August 1989 was a busy month for Izzy and that the incident with Sharise could also have played into his decision to clean up. After all, he kicked a woman in the stomach.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76206

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:03 am

Soulmonster wrote:Regarding the Izzy and Sharise incident at the Cathouse, I have finally found out when this must have happened. According to this page, it took place in August 1989: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~cruekiss/89.htm

Unfortunately the site doesn't have any source for this, but I believe they have researched the chronology.

This would mean that August 1989 was a busy month for Izzy and that the incident with Sharise could also have played into his decision to clean up. After all, he kicked a woman in the stomach.
Hmm... I have serious doubts about this.

All the other sources (Vince Neil, Sharise, Nikki Sixx, Alan Niven...) said that the Cathouse incident and the MTV incident were about a year apart - and Izzy said in 1991 that the Cathouse incident was "three years ago."

Moreover, Izzy was in Europe in August 1989, when he gave the Face and German Metal Hammer interviews. Even if we speculate that he was there only in early August, it doesn't make much sense that he would go from Europe to L.A. only for a few days and then he'd go to Indiana. It makes more sense that he went from Europe to Indiana, stayed there for a few days, and then flew from there to L.A. and the plane incident happened. And Axl, who, according to Sharise, was present at the Cathouse incident, was most likely in New York at that time (as we know he was there in early and late August).
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:17 am

In the contemporary interview Vince Neil said that the Cathouse incident was a year before:
VN: “Anybody who beats up on a woman deserves to get the shit kicked out of them. He hit my wife, a year before I hit him.
https://www.a-4-d.com/t3146-1989-09-08-los-angeles-times-feud-between-rockers-boils-over-backstage-at-mtv-awards#14361
This is in accordance with what everyone else said in regards to the timing.

But in the Dirt book Vince Neil said it was just weeks before the MTV Awards.

I would trust the contemporary interview and the other sources more than the Dirt, because in there Vince says a lot of other things that we know aren't true, for example that Axl was in the media saying he was a "red belt" etc.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:20 am

Blackstar wrote:
Soulmonster wrote:Regarding the Izzy and Sharise incident at the Cathouse, I have finally found out when this must have happened. According to this page, it took place in August 1989: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~cruekiss/89.htm

Hmm... I have serious doubts about this.

All the other sources (Vince Neil, Sharise, Nikki Sixx, Alan Niven...) said that the Cathouse incident and the MTV incident were about a year apart - and Izzy said in 1991 that the Cathouse incident was "three years ago."

Moreover, Izzy was in Europe in August 1989, when he gave the Face and German Metal Hammer interviews. Even if we speculate that he was there only in early August, it doesn't make much sense that he would go from Europe to L.A. only for a few days and then he'd go to Indiana. It makes more sense that he went from Europe to Indiana, stayed there for a few days, and then flew from there to L.A. and the plane incident happened. And Axl, who, according to Sharise, was present at the Cathouse incident, was most likely in New York at that time (as we know he was there in early and late August).

Hmm, Vince claim it happened before Dr. Feelgood came out, and it came out in September 1, 1989. I see no reason to make that reference if it wasn't close to when it came out. Secondly, the phone call with Sharise came after having been white-water rafting in Idaho so this would likely be after the record was done while waiting for it to be released.

Vince would also say that "Izzy had picked the wrong time to fuck with me, because the MTV Video Music Awards were just weeks away at the Universal Amphitheater".

Also, it sounds weird to wait a year or so for revenge. Most likely Izzy and Vince would have bumped into each other earlier allowing Vince an earlier opportunity to get back at Izzy. And most likely, just a year passing should cool some heads. This sounds more like a recent thing when he was still very angry.

But yeah, I agree that August seems to be a tight sport for all of this to unfold.

Hmm. I will try to reach out to Sharise. She might remember exactly when it happened.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:22 am

Blackstar wrote:In the contemporary interview Vince Neil said that the Cathouse incident was a year before:

VN: “Anybody who beats up on a woman deserves to get the shit kicked out of them. He hit my wife, a year before I hit him.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t3146-1989-09-08-los-angeles-times-feud-between-rockers-boils-over-backstage-at-mtv-awards#14361

I would trust the contemporary interview and the other sources more than the Dirt, because in there Vince says a lot of other things that we know aren't true, for example that Axl was in the media saying he was a "red belt" etc.

Okay, that is a great argument for it happening a year before. I see no reason why Vince would lie about the timing of it when it happened. Not that I see a reason why he would lie about it in The Dirt, either, but possible to make a simpler story, or because he had forgotten how it was. Still, I will wait a bit until I hear from Sharise to make the revision.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:33 am

Soulmonster wrote:
Blackstar wrote:In the contemporary interview Vince Neil said that the Cathouse incident was a year before:

Okay, that is a great argument for it happening a year before. I see no reason why Vince would lie about the timing of it when it happened. Not that I see a reason why he would lie about it in The Dirt, either, but possible to make a simpler story, or because he had forgotten how it was. Still, I will wait a bit until I hear from Sharise to make the revision.
Maybe in the Dirt he didn't want to say that he waited a year, so he said it was close chronologically.

Sharise said in her podcast that the Cathouse incident happened on her friend's birthday (who was with her). So even if she doesn't remember the year, she'll probably remember day and month, which might help us figure it out.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Soulmonster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:55 am

Vince says in the Dirt that Sharise was telling him on the phone that his album was number one.

Like you said, @Soulmonster, Dr. Feelgood was released on Sept. 1, which was not weeks (like Vince says in the Dirt), but only five days before the VMAs.

And it didn't go to number 1 right away. According to the Billboard charts, it debuted in the top 200 (at no. 24) in the week of Sept. 23:
https://www.billboard.com/charts/billboard-200/1989-09-23
Then it climbed and reached number one in the week of October 14:
https://www.billboard.com/charts/billboard-200/1989-10-14

I guess Vince made at least the conversation about the album up to make the whole scene sound more sensational and himself sound that he was so outraged that he didn't care that his album was number one Very Happy
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:42 pm

One of the singers that were considered (and seemingly was Slash's preference) was Myles Kennedy, but he couldn't make the audition due to hearing problems.

The Spokesman Review, November 26, 2002:

XX. Notes - Page 9 Notes-46
Dream called, but musician couldn’t hear it

The telephone rang not long ago inside a Spokane South Hill home. What followed could have been a scene out of some rock star movie.

Myles Kennedy picked up the receiver. On the other end of the line was none other than Slash, former lead guitarist of the legendary band, Guns N’ Roses.

The celebrity rocker offered Kennedy a dream many musicians would mortgage mamma for.

Slash wanted him to audition as singer for his new band. If accepted, Kennedy would be given a lucrative recording and touring contract.

Now comes the punchline. After agonizing for a few days, Kennedy finally said no.

No?

He had to. And here’s where the story takes a sad turn.

At 32, Kennedy has already taken an enviable journey down the rock star highway.

In 1998, his own band, The Mayfield Four, signed a multimillion-dollar deal with Epic Records.

Following a first album and tour, Kennedy played a cameo role in “Rock Star,” a big-budget movie starring Mark Wahlberg and Jennifer Aniston.

Another album. Another tour. Photographs and mentions in various hipster publications...

Oozing with good looks and talent, Kennedy is a soft-spoken, nice guy. He has none of that jerky front man swagger associated with the David Lee Roths of his trade.

He’s a local archetype of that rock ’n’ roll success all kids who plug a guitar into an amp aspire to.

Unfortunately, Kennedy has also become an archetype for what the continual exposure to high-volume sound will do to hearing.

“Silence is really a great thing,” says Kennedy. “When you can go into a room and just hear your breathing or the beating of your heart.

“I will never, ever have that luxury again. And it’s extremely depressing.”

Kennedy suffers from a strange condition with an even stranger name: tinnitus.

This is the term given to describe the ringing or buzzing some people hear despite absence of an external sound.

The malady ranges from slight to extreme, with Kennedy’s being way, way up there on the Aggravation Index.

The constant sound, he says, is similar to the tone emitted by a television when it is first turned on.

It is an ongoing distraction. Loud. Intrusive.

It prevents him from discerning certain consonants and "S” sounds. In crowded rooms or rooms with a lot of extraneous noise going on, Kennedy often must lip read to understand what is being said.

“I was really, really depressed,” he says. “Not only did it drive me crazy, but it was almost painful to play an electric guitar.

“After 17 years of doing it, rock ’n’ roll finally got me.”

Kennedy believes the real damage to his hearing occurred this summer. Coming off tour, Kennedy says he spent day after day, holed up in his basement studio, creating music tracks and listening to them through headpnones at ear-splitting levels.

The close proximity of sound to ears virtually fried some of the nigh frequencies in his hearing.

Then one morning he realized something was terribly wrong. Normally, Kennedy kept the air conditioner on, which probably covered his tinnitus tone.

On this day, however, the air conditioner was off.

“I realized that things don’t quite sound the same,” he says. “And not only don’t they sound the same, but there’s this new sound that won’t go away.”

Doctors put the name on it. Outside of cochlear implants, they told him, the condition was permanent.

There are ways to deal with tinnitus. The Internet is ripe with cures and devices.

Mostly you just have to learn to live with it.

Kennedy hasn’t given up on his music. Tinnitus has forced him to refocus on a more acoustic approach.

He wants his story to serve as a cautionary tale to all the rockers and guitar slingers who’d like to follow his boot prints.

Use your head to protect your ears: Wear protection like plugs or custom-made ear inserts. Keep the volume down on headphones.

Do that and maybe you’ll be able to say yes when Slash comes calling.

“I love rock ’n’ roll, and I do miss it,” says Kennedy. “That was my drug for years — the volume and adrenaline — and I can’t do it any more.

“My ears won’t let me.”

Last edited by Blackstar on Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:48 pm

Another singer Slash said he would have liked was Rivers Cuomo of Weezer.

The Courier Journal, May 10, 2003:

XX. Notes - Page 9 Notes-47
Guns N’ Weezer

Guitarist Slash reacted favorably when the notion of hiring Weezer frontman Rivers Cuomo to replace Axl Rose in a refabricated version of ’80s hard-rock band Guns N’ Roses was suggested by Spin magazine. But don’t hold your breath.

“Rivers is probably one of the closest people to what I’m talking about,” Slash said. “He’s pretty great. But he’s taken.”
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 18  Next