APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

XX. Notes

2 posters

Page 7 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 18  Next

Go down

XX. Notes - Page 7 Empty Re: XX. Notes

Post by Blackstar Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:20 pm

About Pitman:

This was posted on a site on the band Lusk (in which Pitman was a member) on December 20, 1999:

Chris Pitman is now working for Axl Rose, doing engineering/writing work on the new GUNS 'N ROSES album.

https://web.archive.org/web/20010503180144/http://www.nmc.siu.edu/~beckham/lusk/news.html

It seems Pitman first joined as a studio engineer and then was "upgraded" to member of the band, and this probably happened a little prior the 2001 shows, because his name hadn't appeared in any press reports before.

--------

In regards to when Brain joined:

I don't think the Buckethead quote ("in the brain") refers to Brain. It sounds more likely a weirdly worded way to say that Buckethead joined on the spot.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85501

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:33 am

Blackstar wrote:About Pitman:

This was posted on a site on the band Lusk (in which Pitman was a member) on December 20, 1999:

Chris Pitman is now working for Axl Rose, doing engineering/writing work on the new GUNS 'N ROSES album.

https://web.archive.org/web/20010503180144/http://www.nmc.siu.edu/~beckham/lusk/news.html

It seems Pitman first joined as a studio engineer and then was "upgraded" to member of the band, and this probably happened a little prior the 2001 shows, because his name hadn't appeared in any press reports before.

--------

In regards to when Brain joined:

I don't think the Buckethead quote ("in the brain") refers to Brain. It sounds more likely a weirdly worded way to say that Buckethead joined on the spot.

Thank you!

I changed the text to reflect the ambigiuity of Bucket's comment.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76206

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:46 pm

From Steven's old official fansite, entry for October 15, 2000:
October 15th

Steven stopped by the Whiskey in Hollywood on Thursday night to catch Slash's Snakepit. Unfortunately, what could have been their first substantial reunion in years, turned sour.  It seemed as though Slash was just plain disinterested to see his old friend. After some chitchat, Stevie asked the guitarist what songs they were planning to do, absolutely willing to jam on anything if asked.  It was clear that no such request would be posed. During the conversation, Steven noticed that his girlfriend wasn't being allowed into the VIP area, and asked Slash if he could let her in.  Slash stated something to the effect of "no". Steven was genuinely hurt and offended that his old friend would show him such a lack of consideration.. He planted a firm middle finger in front of Slash and stormed off.  This was an incident between old friends, nothing more, and hopefully these two can just chill and hang out sometime! Ironically, Slash has spoken affectionately of Steven in recent interviews, and has said that the two keep in touch. Unfortunately, they do not - much to Steven's regret. We ended up next door at the CatClub where Stevie ran in to his old buddy Chris Weber, former GNR collaborator on such classics as "Anything Goes" and "Back Off Bitch". Chris is a youthful looking man who's own band, U.P.O., is quickly reaching Gold sales status of their debut CD, "No Pleasentries".  They enthusiastically caught up with each other and reminisced about old times. While in the club, at one point Stevie was trying to make his way across the crowded dance floor where the patrons were grooving it up to "Paradise City". One woman in particular was so into the song as she danced, that she wouldn't even budge to let Stevie through! If only she knew! Stevie and his brother Jamie, Chris Weber, Taylor, Kent and assorted other friends ended up at the Rainbow where we stayed until well past closing. Another wacky night in Hollywood!
https://web.archive.org/web/20030918034441/http://members.aol.com/brook1138/page2.html
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:16 am

Working on this chapter:

1993-1994
MATT'S WEDDING, DIVORCE, AND ACCUSATION OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE

Matt married his girlfriend Kai Benson in October 1993, although some sources puts the marriage to 1992 or earlier.

Matt and Kai's wedding

Also in October, Matt bought a Spanish-style house in Malibu, CA, for about $1 million, for him and his wife Kai [Real Estate Beat, October 31, 1993].

Unfortunately the marriage did not last, and in May 1994 it would be reported that the pair was getting divorced [The Windsor Star, May 20, 1994]. The divorce papers were filed on June 1, 1994 [People Magazine, June 20, 1994].

Matt also planned a drum clinic in Windsor, Ontario, Canada, on May 23, 1994 [The Windsor Star, May 20, 1994] but had to postpone [The Windsor Star, May 21, 1994] likely due to having to do a testimony after being charged, in true GN'R fashion, with spousal abuse [UPI, May 23, 1994]. The domestic violence, one misdemeanor count, was claimed to have happened on May 7 at their home at Maisel Avenue [UPI, May 23, 1994]. Matt pleaded innocent to the charge [UPI, May 23, 1994]. Pre-trial hearing was set for June 24 [People Magazine, June 20, 1994].

Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:50 am

Soulmonster wrote:Do we know what the outcome of the trial was? Another settlement, I assume.
According to the database on the Los Angeles Superior Court website, there was a jury trial and the outcome was "dismissed/not prosecuted".

The site doesn't display the link directly to the results page, so it's accessed only through the search page by entering the data:

http://www.lacourt.org/criminalcasesummary/ui/  
(Case number: 94M00876  / Courthouse location: Malibu courthouse).

Matt faced charges for the same or similar offences (solely or along with other offences) three more times in the subsequent years:

- Case number: 95M02405, Beverly Hills courthouse (Outcome: No trial / Guilty for one offence and probation after plea bargain with the prosecutor).

- Case number: 6HL01970, Hollywood courthouse (Outcome: Acquitted).

- Case number: 8HL03834, Hollywood courthouse (Outcome: No trial / Guilty for one offence and probation after plea bargain with the prosecutor / exonerated after completion of probation).

Last edited by Blackstar on Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:41 pm

Since we are at it, here are the results for Axl's lawsuits with Stephanie Seymour and Erin Everly.

(Note: those were civil suits, whereas Matt's were criminal cases - Axl never faced criminal charges for those accusations).

Search page:

http://www.lacourt.org/casesummary/ui/index.aspx?casetype=civil

Stephanie Seymour civil suit: Case number BC088038, Santa Monica courthouse.
Outcome: No trial / "Dismissed - Other" (where "Other" in civil cases apparently includes settlement) on April 3, 1995.

Erin Everly civil suit: Case number SC028980, Santa Monica courthouse.
Outcome: No trial / "Dismissed - Other" on March 19, 1996.
(Not many data here about procedures - probably as part of the settlement or just because the case is old so the information is incomplete).
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:51 pm

Blackstar wrote:

Soulmonster wrote:Do we know what the outcome of the trial was? Another settlement, I assume.

According to the database on the Los Angeles Superior Court website, there was a jury trial and the outcome was "dismissed/not prosecuted".

The site doesn't display the link directly to the results page, so it's accessed only through the search page by entering the data:

http://www.lacourt.org/criminalcasesummary/ui/  
(Case number: 94M00876  / Courthouse location: Malibu courthouse).

Matt faced charges for the same or similar offences (solely or along with other offences) three more times in the subsequent years:

- Case number: 95M02405, Beverly Hills courthouse (Outcome: No trial / Guilty for one offence and probation after plea bargain with the prosecutor).

- Case number: 6HL01970, Hollywood courthouse (Outcome: Acquitted).

- Case number: 8HL03834, Hollywood courthouse (Outcome: No trial / Guilty for one offence and probation after plea bargain with the prosecutor / exonerated after completion of probation).

Thank you! I was looking at 8HL03834 and it sees to be he was not found guilty? The only case where he was found guilty was 95M02405 and then only for disturbing the peace. All charges of domestic violence was dismissed or acquitted.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:16 pm

Soulmonster wrote:
Thank you! I was looking at 8HL03834 and it sees to be he was not found guilty? The only case where he was found guilty was 95M02405 and then only for disturbing the peace. All charges of domestic violence was dismissed or acquitted.
In 8HL03834 (1998) he pleaded nolo contendere (=accepted punishment in a plea bargain with the prosecution without admitting guilt). If you look at the "Sentencing Information" tab, he received sentence of 36 months on probation plus community service. In the "Events" tab there are court dates of "Progress report" from 1999 to 2000. And in 2004 the case was "Dismissed per 1203.4 P.C." which means that the probation was completed successfully and the conviction was dismissed.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:57 pm

Article, with Axl mention, about Jennifer Driver, a model from South Carolina whom Axl dated for an unknown period of time in 1994. Daily Press, June 19, 1995:

XX. Notes - Page 7 1995_071
XX. Notes - Page 7 1995_072

If you don’t want to know the dating habits of troubled rocker Axl Rose ...

Or the intimate life details of a blond, 6-foot model named Jennifer ...

Or what that model thinks of Newport News ...

Then stop right here.

But if you’re into all that, we’ve got a treat. It’s more like a tale of obsession.

It started when our friend Pam recklessly showed us her Cosmopolitan while we were hanging at her Poquoson apartment.

Glenn picked up the fragrant magazine and, within seconds, found Jennifer on page 99. She was kneeling gently on a golden beach. A leopard-skin swimsuit covered a

tiny swatch of her Coppertone skin.

Above her floated two seemingly out-of-place words: “newport news.” That was the name of our beloved hometown! Right there in Cosmo!

Could this curvy supercreature live in Newport News? Perhaps — we hoped — she had posed on the sands of Huntington Park beach (just blocks from the headquarters of your Daily Press).

We were determined to find out. And find her. Reading the fine print at the bottom of the ad, we learned that “Newport News” is a fashion catalog headquartered in Hampton. So, in search of passion and romance, we went to the company’s offices on City Line Road.

Ken placed the ad on the receptionist’s desk, pointed to it and said, “We’re looking for this model.”

In between answering phone calls and giving us a these-guys-are-creepy look, the receptionist explained that it’s “highly unlikely” the figure on the page lives in Hampton Roads.

She suggested we try asking somebody at the Metropolitan Agency modeling agency

in New York.

Ken eagerly called. Finding out her name (Jennifer Driver) was easy, but finding her wasn’t.

First, Michelle, a chit-chatty Metropolitan representative, gave Ken a modeling agency’s number in Paris. Jennifer may be there, she said.

Ken called.

“(Insert incomprehensible French phrase here),” answered a fast-talking Parisian secretary. Annoyed, she switched to English when Ken started speaking American.

She said that Jennifer had flown to Milan (Italy, that is) for a fashion show the day before. The femme francais hung up on Ken before he could get a phone number.

So Ken dialed the 14-digit number again. This time a guy answered.

“Bon jour,” said Ken, trying a more PC (Pierre Correct) linguistic approach.

“Ooh la la,” replied the man (we’re not making this up) when Ken asked for Jennifer’s number in Milan. He then made a clicking sound with his tongue and said he didn’t know where she was staying.

Fortunately, though, Michelle in New York hooked us up. She gave us a number in Milan where we might find our Newport News beach princess. Ken left a message with Jennifer’s Canadian model-friend, with whom the object of his obsession was staying that week.

Then, after nearly two weeks of searching, it finally happened: Jennifer called Ken collect from Milan. (Sorry, boss.)

Before we tell you all about her personal life, there are a few things you should know: She’s 6 feet tall, 130 pounds, 21 years old, a real blond and not from Newport News. And the Cosmo photo-shoot wasn’t done within earshot of Warwick Boulevard. Try tropical Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.

“It was really cool, you know?” Jennifer said. “For swimwear jobs, they choose really cool places.”

She said she doesn’t remember posing for the jungle-cat shot that ran in Cosmo.

“I had so many swimsuits that afternoon,” she explained.

A Jennifer bonds: She has a Southern accent (she’s from Raleigh, N.C.).

One big drawback: She dated Axl Rose last year.

For those of you who don’t know about Mr. Rose, he’s lead singer of the band Guns ’n’ Roses and known for committing acts of violence against human beings.

“He’s really shy. He’s a very nice guy,” Jennifer promised. “He didn’t beat me up or anything like that. I’m a little bigger than him anyway.”

Let us remind you that she’s a towering 6 feet tall.

“I love it. I really do,” she said in a serious tone. “It’s very powerful.”

Jennifer is single, mostly because she lives out of her suitcase and doesn’t like the vain male models she works with.

“Anyone who looks in the mirror more than I do is out of the question,” she said.

She admitted to never setting a lovely tan foot in Newport News.

But don’t despair, readers. She may visit this August while in Virginia for a friend’s wedding.

“It’s not a goal for me right now to go to Newport,” she said. “But I want to visit. I’m always open for new places.”

About that ad in Cosmo, Jennifer. Do you like it as much as we do?

“That picture actually was shot at an angle that I look heavy in,” she said. “I look fat in it.”
Jennifer Driver had accompanied Axl in the Rock And Rock Hall Of Fame in Jan. 1994:
https://www.a-4-d.com/t4033-1994-01-19-axl-s-induction-speech-for-elton-john-at-the-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame#19942

She was also featured in the video for Since I Don't Have You.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:09 am

The single for SIDHY was released in January. Assuming the music video accompanied it in January is safe to assume Axl and Driver started dating back in 1993.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:16 am

I am really uncertain about what to do with his. I don't want the history section to focus on passing girlfriends, its too gossip-y. I think I will just mention her in one of the existing chapters and not make a new one for her and Axl.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:53 am

Soulmonster wrote:I am really uncertain about what to do with his. I don't want the history section to focus on passing girlfriends, its too gossip-y. I think I will just mention her in one of the existing chapters and not make a new one for her and Axl.
Yes, I don't think it deserves its own chapter. It doesn't seem it was an "important" relationship anyway.

The SIDHY video must have been shot in February, as when the Kerrang issue from March was released the video hadn't been released yet.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Soulmonster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:50 am

Blackstar wrote:
Soulmonster wrote:I am really uncertain about what to do with his. I don't want the history section to focus on passing girlfriends, its too gossip-y. I think I will just mention her in one of the existing chapters and not make a new one for her and Axl.

Yes, I don't think it deserves its own chapter. It doesn't seem it was an "important" relationship anyway.

The SIDHY video must have been shot in February, as when the Kerrang issue from March was released the video hadn't been released yet.

Alright, thanks. I reserve chapters for important personal stuff like marriages and relationship with women that will directly affect the band or its music, and then I will just make passing remarks to other girlfriends when it fits.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:34 pm

Soulmonster wrote:
Alright, thanks. I reserve chapters for important personal stuff like marriages and relationship with women that will directly affect the band or its music, and then I will just make passing remarks to other girlfriends when it fits.
Yeah, I guess there could be a mention of the relationship and Jennifer Driver's comment about it in a chapter about the members' personal lives or Axl's personal life in particular.

---------

Speaking of videos, in his introduction to "The Language of Fear" Axl mentions that he and Del James had discussed a concept for a video for "Ain't It Fun" (apparently it didn't materialize). Maybe the quote could be included in the chapter about the "Ain't It Fun" single.

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4126-1995-01-01-introduction-to-the-language-of-fear-axl
Axl: I called Del James around the time that our album The Spaghetti Incident was coming out and wanted to see if he had any ideas for a video for the song “Ain’t It Fun.” We rapped for a while about the song—it’s a cover of a song originally done by the Dead Boys, which has a very desperate feel to it. Toward the end of our conversation, Del said that he saw it “dark, dreary, and addicted.”

Axl also mentions there that Del was going to write the script for a "Tales From The Crypt" episode and Axl was going to act in it:
Axl: At one point Andy Morahan, who directed “November Rain,” and I were asked to do an episode of Tales from the Crypt, so I asked Del to write the script, based on one of his stories. It would have given me an opportunity to do something that interests me—act. It would’ve given Del an opportunity to do something he wants to (and will) do, which is write for the screen. And it would’ve given Andy an opportunity to film it. Del didn’t feel he necessarily had the right story for Tales from the Crypt, so he wrote a short story called “The Immortals,” which I thought would’ve been cool to adapt, but then we found out they had to base their episodes on existing comics books. It never came to pass, but the story exists. When I think back about the Tales from the Crypt, Del’s story was really exciting, and that’s what it was all about: trying to figure out how to film that. Any story of Del’s that gets adapted into a screenplay is going to be intense, especially if he’s involved.
That never happened either, but interestingly enough Slash was featured in an episode of the same series (which, I suppose, didn't have to do anything with Del or Andy Morahan).
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:47 am

There was this interview with Axl's bodyguard Earl, posted on Metal Sludge on Dec. 16/17 2002 and then removed from the site a few hours or a day later saying it was a "fraud":

http://www.mygnrforum.com/topic/3512-earl-axl-roses-bodyguard-speaks/

I'm not sure what to do with it. Some of the information there, like about when exactly Axl canceled the show in Philadelphia (which is close to what Axl said ten years later) or about Earl's biography, suggest that it could have been real. Maybe include it in the database with the note that it's possibly fake?
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:01 pm

Blackstar wrote:There was this interview with Axl's bodyguard Earl, posted on Metal Sludge on Dec. 16/17 2002 and then removed from the site a few hours or a day later saying it was a "fraud":

I'm not sure what to do with it. Some of the information there, like about when exactly Axl canceled the show in Philadelphia (which is close to what Axl said ten years later) or about Earl's biography, suggest that it could have been real. Maybe include it in the database with the note that it's possibly fake?

Hmm, I don't think this is fake. Seems real to me. I would more think it was pressure from GN*R camp that made Sludge take it down, and perhaps Earl got fired for this third time afterwards.

I think we should include it with the note that it might be fake. The other question is, should I use parts of it for the history section? I believe it is real, but I can't use it without making a note of it. Yeah. I will do that. I will use it but make notes on every quote that it might be fake.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Uli likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:05 pm

Soulmonster wrote:
Blackstar wrote:There was this interview with Axl's bodyguard Earl, posted on Metal Sludge on Dec. 16/17 2002 and then removed from the site a few hours or a day later saying it was a "fraud":

Hmm, I don't think this is fake. Seems real to me. I would more think it was pressure from GN*R camp that made Sludge take it down, and perhaps Earl got fired for this third time afterwards.

I think we should include it with the note that it might be fake. The other question is, should I use parts of it for the history section? I believe it is real, but I can't use it without making a note of it. Yeah. I will do that. I will use it but make notes on every quote that it might be fake.
I agree.

When Axl reappeared in 2006 Earl wasn't there, so it's possible he got fired for good.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:20 pm

The benefit show for Randy Castillo, in which Slash, Duff and Matt participated, which was the starting point for them deciding to form a band together (that later became Velvet Revolver), was held on April 29, 2002.

Press release from the Randy Castillo Memorial Fund:
April 19, 2002
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

FORMER BAND MATES PAY TRIBUTE TO DRUMMER, RANDY CASTILLO WITH AN ALL STAR BENEFIT

Drummer Randy Castillo, best known for his work with Ozzy Osbourne passed away in his Los Angeles home Tuesday, March 26th at 7:30pm (PST) surrounded by friends and family. He lost his two year battle with cancer.

Throughout his life as a drummer, Randy Castillo performed 11 years with Ozzy Osbourne, performed with Motley Crue and Lita Ford, as well as many other side projects. He was the driving beat behind such favorite Ozzy songs such as “No More Tears”, “Mama, I’m Coming Home” and “Shot In The Dark”. Randy was laid to rest in his hometown of Albuquerque, New Mexico.

A tribute show in honor of Randy Castillo’s memory will be held at the Key Club in Los Angeles, April 29th. Scheduled to perform are current and former members of Motley Crue, Guns N’ Roses, Montrose and many more special appearances are expected. All proceeds will help raise funds for charity. Doors open at 7:00pm and show time is scheduled for 8:00pm. Tickets are available through Ticketmaster for $30 each and $25 at the door.

Any other contributions can be deposited at any Wells Fargo Bank under the Randy Castillo Memorial Fund. Also, be sure to check out: RandyCastillo.com for more information.
Review on KNAC.COM:
Randy Castillo Benefit Concert - Exclusive

By Sefany Jones, Junkman & Frank Meyer, Journalists
Tuesday, April 30, 2002 @ 4:43 PM

A Final Hurrah In Randy Castillo's Honor at The Key Club In Los Angeles, April 29th; Steven Tyler, Members of Guns N' Roses Perform, Among Many Others

A benefit concert was held Monday night to honor and bid a final farewell to the great, late drummer, Randy Castillo, as well as to help his surviving family with leftover expenses from his illness. Randy had the best seat in the house, watching from his “skybox,” as a plethora of musicians and one “Icon” took the stage in front of a sold-out audience of over 800 people.

Kicking off the show was Nickelbag, which featured Rolling Stones backup vocalist Bernard Fowler taking the mic, guitarists Ritchie Kotzen (Ex-Poison) and Stevie Salas (Michael Hutchence, Bootsy Collins), Carmine Rojas (ex-David Bowie, Rod Stewart) on bass, and Brian Tichy (ex-Ozzy, Slash’s Snakepit, Pride & Glory, Foreigner) on drums, spewing out some good ol’ rock and roll!

Next up was Randy’s ongoing side-project, flamenco band Ziroq (formerly Azul), featuring Carmine Rojas on bass, Paul Blazek on drums/ bongos, Tal Bergman drums, Marcus Nanz as lead vocalist/ guitar, Janna Jacoby on vocals, Jose Prieto on guitar, and Guillermo on keyboards/ vocals. Randy passionately loved this band, and it’s unique style of mellow mood music.

Thereafter followed Joey Heredia’s band, featuring Joey Heredia on drums, Jeff Pevar on guitar (David Crosby/CPR, Shawn Colvin), and Michael Ruff (Kenny Loggins, Air Supply, Bonnie Raitt, Nancy Wilson) on keyboards and vocals, with their slick session-styled rock.

Ball rocked the stage next, with Brian Tichy now on vocals and guitar, with Joe Travers (Dweezil Zappa, Duran Duran) on drums, and Michael Devin on bass. They got the crowd amped up with some smoking rock n' roll!

Montrose, featuring Ronnie Montrose (Sammy Hagar, Van Morrison) on guitar, Chuck Wright (Quiet Riot, House of Lords) on bass, Keith St. John on vocals, and Pat Torpey (Mr. Big, Ted Nugent) on drums, all hopped up on stage and ripped out goodies like "Rock the Nation" and "Rock Candy." Ronnie dedicated Space Station #5 to Randy and reflected on old stories.

Next up was SLAP featuring Steve Lukather (Toto, Cher, Michael Jackson, Lionel Ritchie, Eric Clapton) on guitar and vocals, Phil Soussan (Ozzy, Toto, John Waite, Billy Idol) on bass, and two of Randy’s idols, Kenny Aronoff (BB King) and Simon Phillips (Toto, Pete Townsend, Joe Satriani, Judas Priest) on dueling drums. They finished the set with Randy's favorite Hendrix song, "Manic Depression," which was sung by Soussan.

In between sets comedians Andy Dick and Charles Fleischer (the voice of Roger Rabbit) performed. Our very own Program Director, Long Paul, was slated to emcee the event, but had to cancel due to illness.
Next on stage was the aptly named "Buck N’ Roses," (or "Cherry Roses," as it was later decided upon) which featured vocalist Joshua Todd and guitarist Keith Nelson (Izzy Stradlin was unable to attend), both of Buckcherry, and Guns N’ Roses originals, guitarist Slash, bassist Duff McKagan, and drummer Matt Sorum. They spun the crowd into a frenzy, opening with GNR’s "It’s So Easy" then the Sex Pistols "God Save The Queen," as well as Rose Tattoo/ GNR’s "Nice Boys" and Buckcherry’s "Lit Up." The band then tore into GNR’s "Paradise City," in which Cypress Hill’s Sen Dog jumped up on stage to provide additional vocals. And then it came… Aerosmith’s Steven Tyler pounced onstage and blew out the place with an amazing rendition of the Aerosmith classic, “Mama Kin.” The floors were thumping and the place went wild! Tyler finished his appearance by holding his arms up and looking to the sky, and woefully screamed, “Raaaaannndyyyyyyyyyyy!”

Wrapping up the show was an all-star drumming session, which pretty much included everyone who had played earlier in the evening. They even had Randy’s kit on stage, watching over the evening’s festivities.
Surprisingly, no one from Ozzy showed up (with the exception of Alice In Chains bassist, Mike Inez), and none of the guys from Motley Crue showed up. Present for the show, were Marilyn Manson members Ginger Fish and Pogo, Ratt’s Bobby Blotzer, actress Drew Barrymore, who said she didn’t know Randy, but “felt like she knew him now,” Mike Matejevic of Steelheart and various other musicians and celebrities.

Diana DeVille will write up her own article, which will include more exclusive photos and a bunch of quotes from the various attending artists, as well as friends and family of Randy.
Thanks to all that came out for the cause, and to all that worked so hard to make this happen. All proceeds will go directly to Randy’s mother and sisters – especially his sister Christine, who spent months commuting back and forth from Albuquerque to Los Angeles, to care for him. We wish the best for his family, and share our condolences.

All in all, it was one hell of a night and a very appropriate send off to one of the industry’s finest musicians. A final goodbye to Mr. Randy Castillo – rest peacefully.
https://web.archive.org/web/20020523110438/http://www.randycastillo.com/

Slash and Buckcherry singer Joshua Todd at the show:

XX. Notes - Page 7 2002_051

Slash and Duff:

XX. Notes - Page 7 2002_050
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:03 pm

Regarding Earl, do you have a good image of his face?
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:42 pm

Soulmonster wrote:Regarding Earl, do you have a good image of his face?

XX. Notes - Page 7 UDj4MevH_o

XX. Notes - Page 7 TQMPW2bJ_o

From Coachella (I think). Meegan had posted it:

XX. Notes - Page 7 HEUslmjd_o

From his Linkedin profile (looks like it's really him):

https://www.linkedin.com/in/earl-gabbidon-10a19a7/

XX. Notes - Page 7 M2HlKKE4_o
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Soulmonster and Uli like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:30 am

From an interview with Dave Navarro, Guitar One, September 2001:
One example would be your involvement with the world's first taste of new Guns N' Roses--your solo on "Oh My God" from The End of Days soundtrack (Geffen).

Dave: The truth is, I wish there was an interesting story, but it was honestly like just doing a session. Axl and I had been trying to play for years, and it just never worked out for one reason or another. He just called me and it happened to be a good time, so it worked out. But I just kinda went down there and I spent maybe an hour and a half in the studio, played some stuff, and went home.

[...]

Did you ever consider being a part of the version of GN'R Axl was putting together?

Dave: No, only because I already had my hands in my new book and in this record and the possibility of a Jane's reunion. I didn't wanna bite off more than I could chew. And honestly, I love him as a person and I love his music, but I don't know if it's necessarily suited for me personally.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Uli likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:49 am

Small quote from Brian May, Sonic Net, March 19, 2001:
[...]

We may hear more May this year; [May] spent some time in the studio with Axl Rose, laying down solos for the long-awaited Guns 'N Roses album.

"It sounds great, and Axl sounds wonderful," May said, noting that his contributions are not guaranteed to make that album, to be titled Chinese Democracy.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:39 am

From an interview with bass player Krys Baratto, studio musician for GnR/Axl in the mid-nineties along with Sid Riggs:

Baratto: The GN’R stuff I played bass on some of the demos after Duff left to do Neurotic Outsiders. This was a few years back, and I don’t believe any of those songs will make the new GN’R album.
The interview was conducted by the Samantha 7 official website in 2000, unknown exact date.

http://www.geocities.ws/samantha7site/KBint.htm

(Samantha 7 was CC Deville's band in which Baratto was a member at the time of the interview).
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:28 am

Blackstar wrote:From an interview with bass player Krys Baratto, studio musician for GnR/Axl in the mid-nineties along with Sid Riggs:

Baratto: The GN’R stuff I played bass on some of the demos after Duff left to do Neurotic Outsiders. This was a few years back, and I don’t believe any of those songs will make the new GN’R album.

The interview was conducted by the Samantha 7 official website in 2000, unknown exact date.

http://www.geocities.ws/samantha7site/KBint.htm

(Samantha 7 was CC Deville's band in which Baratto was a member at the time of the interview).

Very interesting! I can't remember having heard about him before! I reached out to him to find out if he wants to say more about his involvement with the band.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Blackstar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:30 am

I have two later interviews with Baratto (from 2005):

Sp1at, April 15, 2005:
6. You played in a rather bizarre version of Guns n Roses in the mid-90s - Sid Riggs was on drums I believe, who else was involved? Paul Tobias?

Well now, keep in mind Sid and I were recording on demos. Paul was involved. If you talk to him, tell him to call me too. He’s a great guy. As for the recordings, across the mixer were such people as Slash, Zakk, Matt, Duff, Dizzy, and a host of others. We were all a part of putting tracks down on the demos. So, it was never a “version” of the band. It was fun though.

7. Do you still keep in touch with Axl? I once read that you went to one of his famous Halloween parties.

I do not keep in touch with him. Actually, I never have. The only time I really talked to him was up at that particular Halloween party at his house. He was never there when I was doing any playing. He told me he liked the bass parts and asked if I was getting paid on time, gotta love that.

https://web.archive.org/web/20050422065658/http://www.sp1at.com/item.php?id=297
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:34 am

Metal Sludge, December 7, 2005:
7. Rumor has it that you may (or may not) appear on Axl's "Chinese Democracy" album. What was your involvement with that, how long ago did you record anything for that, and do you think it will ever actually see the light of day?

Ya know what? No. I did play on the demos that were being recorded for what I guess may be that record. This was back in like ’96 to ’97. I would like to hear it come out, I don’t think it will. If it hasn’t by now do you think it will?
http://metalsludge.tv/classic/?p=27355
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:48 am

Very interesting! Especially that he was involved while Zakk was there, pushing it back to 1995, I would think. And is this the only time someone besides Axl has said anything positive about Paul? Smile
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:03 pm

Soulmonster wrote:Very interesting! Especially that he was involved while Zakk was there, pushing it back to 1995, I would think. And is this the only time someone besides Axl has said anything positive about Paul? Smile
Yes, it seems so Very Happy

I'd read about him in that "Shadow Company" thread on GNREvo. They cited the Sp1at interview from 2005 but not the other two interviews.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:08 pm

Blackstar wrote:
Soulmonster wrote:Very interesting! Especially that he was involved while Zakk was there, pushing it back to 1995, I would think. And is this the only time someone besides Axl has said anything positive about Paul? Smile

Yes, it seems so Very Happy

I'd read about him in that "Shadow Company" thread on GNREvo. They cited the Sp1at interview from 2005 but not the other two interviews.

Okay, great that we have unique sources on this period. I was wondering if the work I do would be pointless considering how great Chinese Whispers are, but having more sources already gives me an advantage. Maybe it will also result in a slightly different angle to the period, even though I try to just stick with what we know and not conclude and interpret too much.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:21 pm

He must have been there at the same time Sid Riggs was there, and Riggs was there in the summer of 1995.

In regards to Zakk, it could have been after Slash left for the Snakepit tour, as Zakk said he was involved for 6 months, if I remember correctly.

Then they were still there when Slash returned in 1996 until probably some point in 1997 when the Shaq rap took place.
Soulmonster wrote:
Okay, great that we have unique sources on this period. I was wondering if the work I do would be pointless considering how great Chinese Whispers are, but having more sources already gives me an advantage. Maybe it will also result in a slightly different angle to the period, even though I try to just stick with what we know and not conclude and interpret too much.
We definitely have a lot more sources for the 1994-1996 period, so your history chapters covering that are far more accurate and comprehensive.

For the 1997-2008 period, in regards to the making of Chinese Democracy, I think our contemporary sources will more or less be the same as theirs or at least our additional sources won't provide groundbreaking information. But, as I see (and approve Smile ) the history section covers other aspects of that period, like Axl's relationship with former members, the reunion talk, Velvet Revolver, etc., so it'll have a lot to offer.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 18  Next