APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1989.10.10 - The Cathouse, Los Angeles, USA

2 posters

Go down

1989.10.10 - The Cathouse, Los Angeles, USA Empty 1989.10.10 - The Cathouse, Los Angeles, USA

Post by Soulmonster Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:47 pm

Date:
October 10, 1989.

Venue:
The Cathouse.

Setlist:
01. It's So Easy
02. Mr. Brownstone
03. Patience
04. It's So Easy
05. My Michelle
06. Rocket Queen
07. Sweet Child O' Mine
08. Nightrain
Slash Guitar Solo
09. Knockin' On Heavens Door
10. Welcome To The Jungle
11. It's So Easy
12. Mama Kin
13. Paradise City

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Izzy Stradlin (rhythm guitarist), Slash (lead guitarist), Duff McKagan (bass) and Steven Adler (drums).

Notes:
The video for It's So Easy was filmed at this show. The band played a long version of Rocket Queen; during the jam, Axl played bass and Duff played drums with Steven.

Quotes:

The day before the Stones gig we did a warm-up show at the Cathouse and it was killer. It was the first time we'd played in a while, and we had so much energy to get out; we sounded amazing and it was a classic Guns show. It wasn't without its unpleasantness, though, because Axl insulted David Bowie so much from the stage that Bowie left in the middle of the set [...] That evening was captured for posterity in the video for "It's So Easy," which was never accepted by MTV or aired in the States because we refused to edit out the profanity in the song.
Slash's autobiography, 2007, p 277

Oh yeah, that was a show at Cathouse for sure, they were playing a warmup gig before they did the four nights opening for the Rolling Stones. It was October 10th of 1989 and they were scheduled to play those for nights with the Stones and figured since they were doing the warm-up gig why not feed two birds with the same bread and shoot a video. They played “It’s So Easy” like five times that night, they played it like every third song so that they’d have enough footage and angles to make it work. I actually videotaped it and it’s a really cool gig because it was their first time back in the clubs after blowing up. They spent two hundred grand shooting the footage of that gig but like you said it was never released at the time. It was really high quality stuff.

Axl heard he was there and started into Bowie from the stage about some bullshit. I was so embarrassed because David was always so polite, proper and English. He really didn't need or deserve anything like that.

So we played a set, and we played “It’s So Easy” three or four times. And something happened, I’m not sure exactly what, ’cause a lot was going on, but Axl, you know, that dude is the real deal. If he’s pissed off he doesn’t care who it is. It can be David Bowie and he won’t get away with it. But I don’t know what happened. Maybe Riki knows what happened.
Tom Beaujour and Richard Bienstock, Nöthin' But a Good Time: The Uncensored History of the '80s Hard Rock Explosion, 2021

All I know is my security guard comes up to me and says, “Axl Rose is chasing David Bowie down the street.” Okay. I didn’t even know David Bowie was in the club. I would’ve loved to have met David Bowie!
Tom Beaujour and Richard Bienstock, Nöthin' But a Good Time: The Uncensored History of the '80s Hard Rock Explosion, 2021

Bowie came to the live show, and if I remember correctly he was seen talking to Erin and that upset Axl. And the next thing you know is they were scuffling and screaming at each other on the pavement outside the club.

Bowie and I had our differences. And then we went out for dinner and talked and went to the China Club and stuff, you know, and when we left I was like, “I wanna thank you. You're the first person that’s ever come up and said I’m sorry about the situation.” You know I didn’t, like, try to take away any of his dignity or respect - like Rolling Stone saying I’ve no respect for the Godfather of Glam even though I wore make-up in this or that video and dah dah dah... [...] But Bowie was really cool.
Mick Wall, GUNS N' ROSES: The Most Dangerous Band in the World, Sidgwick & Jackson, U.K. 1991, 1993

1989.10.10 - The Cathouse, Los Angeles, USA Rightarrow Next concert: 1989.10.13.
1989.10.10 - The Cathouse, Los Angeles, USA Leftarrow Previous concert: 1988.12.19.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76232

Back to top Go down

1989.10.10 - The Cathouse, Los Angeles, USA Empty Re: 1989.10.10 - The Cathouse, Los Angeles, USA

Post by Blackstar Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:18 pm

According to Marc Canter, there was only one show at the Cathouse on Oct. 10 where the video for It's So Easy was also shot. Maybe the show continued after midnight on October 11th, and that's why gnrontour listed two different dates, one for the video shoot and one for the show. Here is the setlist according to Marc:

It's So Easy
Brownstone
Patience
It's So Easy
Michelle
Rocket Queen long version with Axl on Bass and Duff on drums with Steven for the jam
SCOM
Nightrain
Guitar solo
Heavens Door
Jungle
It's So Easy
Mama Kin
Paradise City

https://www.mygnrforum.com/topic/194511-its-so-easy-video-shoot-10101989/

Riki Rachtman has also confirmed in later interviews that it was one and the same show.

So we we need to update the date, setlist and information (will do it later, if it's okay).
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85695

Back to top Go down

1989.10.10 - The Cathouse, Los Angeles, USA Empty Re: 1989.10.10 - The Cathouse, Los Angeles, USA

Post by Blackstar Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:48 pm

Updated (with more quotes, too).
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:38 am

Blackstar wrote:According to Marc Canter, there was only one show at the Cathouse on Oct. 10 where the video for It's So Easy was also shot. Maybe the show continued after midnight on October 11th, and that's why gnrontour listed two different dates, one for the video shoot and one for the show. Here is the setlist according to Marc:

It's So Easy
Brownstone
Patience
It's So Easy
Michelle
Rocket Queen long version with Axl on Bass and Duff on drums with Steven for the jam
SCOM
Nightrain
Guitar solo
Heavens Door
Jungle
It's So Easy
Mama Kin
Paradise City

https://www.mygnrforum.com/topic/194511-its-so-easy-video-shoot-10101989/

Riki Rachtman has also confirmed in later interviews that it was one and the same show.

So we we need to update the date, setlist and information (will do it later, if it's okay).

So what you are saying is that what we have down as two shows, Oct 10 and Oct 13, is the same show?
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:39 am

Soulmonster wrote:
So what you are saying is that what we have down as two shows, Oct 10 and Oct 13, is the same show?
No, these were the two warmup shows, Oct. 10 at the Cathouse and Oct. 13 at the Plaza.

But we had the video shoot for It's So Easy and the show at the Cathouse as two separate events, the former on Oct. 10 and the latter on Oct. 11 (likely because gnrontour listed them that way), although both happened on the same night (Oct. 10) and the video shoot of It's So Easy was part of the show. It was obvious from the quotes we had that it was the same event, but there was this confusion because of gnrontour.

Here is the previous version of the thread:

https://web.archive.org/web/20221115133350/https://www.a-4-d.com/t1279-1989-10-11-the-cathouse-los-angeles-usa

We also have them as two separate events in the history section.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:49 pm

Blackstar wrote:
Soulmonster wrote:

No, these were the two warmup shows, Oct. 10 at the Cathouse and Oct. 13 at the Plaza.

But we had the video shoot for It's So Easy and the show at the Cathouse as two separate events, the former on Oct. 10 and the latter on Oct. 11 (likely because gnrontour listed them that way), although both happened on the same night (Oct. 10) and the video shoot of It's So Easy was part of the show. It was obvious from the quotes we had that it was the same event, but there was this confusion because of gnrontour.

Here is the previous version of the thread:

https://web.archive.org/web/20221115133350/https://www.a-4-d.com/t1279-1989-10-11-the-cathouse-los-angeles-usa

We also have them as two separate events in the history section.

Okay, so we had one too many dates in our concert database, and now you have removed this?
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:10 pm

Soulmonster wrote:
Okay, so we had one too many dates in our concert database, and now you have removed this?
We didn't have a date for Oct. 10. We only had this thread for the Cathouse but with incorrect date (Oct. 11 instead of Oct. 10) with a mention in the notes that the video shoot for It's So Easy took place on the previous night (Oct. 10) hence Slash was wrong in the quote from his autobiography. I archived the previous version of the thread before I updated it:

So I didn't remove any date. I just edited this thread (changed the date from Oct. 11 to Oct. 10, updated the setlist with the correct one by Marc Canter, and edited the notes).
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:41 pm

Blackstar wrote:
Soulmonster wrote:

We didn't have a date for Oct. 10. We only had this thread for the Cathouse but with incorrect date (Oct. 11 instead of Oct. 10) with a mention in the notes that the video shoot for It's So Easy took place on the previous night (Oct. 10) hence Slash was wrong in the quote from his autobiography. I archived the previous version of the thread before I updated it:

So I didn't remove any date. I just edited this thread (changed the date from Oct. 11 to Oct. 10, updated the setlist with the correct one by Marc Canter, and edited the notes).

Okay, perfect. I have also updated the History section.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Blackstar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:10 pm

I hope the footage from this show is released one day, as it seems that the band had the full show filmed (and Marc Canter filmed it separately, too).
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down