APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1987.10.27 - The Paradise, Boston, USA

2 posters

Go down

1987.10.27 - The Paradise, Boston, USA Empty 1987.10.27 - The Paradise, Boston, USA

Post by Soulmonster Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:12 pm

Date:
October 27, 1987.

Venue:
The Paradise.

Setlist:
01. It's So Easy
02. Move to the City
03. Out Ta Get Me
04. Mr. Brownstone
05. My Michelle
06. Sweet Child O'Mine
07. Rocket Queen
08. Welcome to the Jungle
09. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
10. You're Crazy
11. Paradise City
12. Nightrain
13. Mama Kin

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Izzy Stradlin (rhythm guitarist), Slash (lead guitarist), Duff McKagan (bass) and Steven Adler (drums).

1987.10.27 - The Paradise, Boston, USA Rightarrow Next concert: 1987.10.29.
1987.10.27 - The Paradise, Boston, USA Leftarrow Previous concert: 1987.10.26.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76572

Back to top Go down

1987.10.27 - The Paradise, Boston, USA Empty Re: 1987.10.27 - The Paradise, Boston, USA

Post by Blackstar Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:30 pm

Review in the Boston Globe, October 29, 1987:

1987.10.27 - The Paradise, Boston, USA 1987_113
New band that’s special

GUNS N' ROSES - In concert at the Paradise Theater, Tuesday.

By Jim Sullivan
Special to the Globe

1. Heavy metal will be with us always.

2. Most of it will be an endless parade of worthless cliches, played by bands with swollen egos and limited ideas.

3. Occasionally, young bands like Guns n' Roses will come along, snap your head around, and make you think. “There really is something to this noise after all. Throw away your doubts: Get absorbed in the speedy blur." Such was the case Tuesday night, when the Los Angeles-based quintet made its local debut at the Paradise before a sellout crowd. There was a buzz in the air and high-decibel, pedal-to-the-metal rock ’n’ roll on stage.

Guns n' Roses, fronted by singer W. Axl Rose and guitarist Slash, can’t stake a claim to runaway originality - but they do play the game for real. They believe in the low-life. They do not play dress-up. They've listened to the New York Dolls, Aerosmith. AC/DC, Motorhead, and Metallica. and absorbed all the right aspects. They’re at home with the idea that crunching heavy metal and melodious rock n’ roll can co-exist without compromising either. Their lyrics run along the eternal rebellion/out-looking-for-action axis. Sample: “They’re out ta get me,” scream-sung Rose. “They won’t catch me/I’m inno-cent/They won’t break me." Sung like he meant it.

Slash put it this way after it was all over: "We re not a glam band; we’re not a hardcore band; we’re just a rock ’n’ roll band. I hate to use that cliche.” Of the band’s hard-line anti-authority stance, "The establishment in L.A. didn’t like us much - cops, schools, liquor stores ..."

Guns n’ Roses play with the requisite rough-and-rowdy rawness. fueled by desperation. The main flaw during Tuesday’s 70-minute set was that most of what came out of Rose’s mouth sounded like “Rawr, raaagh, grrrbdz!," but a quick check of the album's lyric sheet - and Rose's more pointed song introductions - gave a clearer idea of what's going on. Which is, basically, living fast and hard and playing music to match.

But these bad boys cut the fun with, dare we say, a certain social consciousness. “My Michelle” doesn’t celebrate excess as much as it suggests the flipside of the too-much-ain’t-enough ethic; ditto for "Mr. Brownstone," for which Rose admonished "Make sure you wake up in the morning." And why else cover Dylan’s "Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door” if not to make the point that a little bit of reflection and redemption never hurts? Guns n’ Roses is about living life on the edge, but being smart enough to pull bark at the right time. Climb, bill don’t fall off the mountain.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 86383

Back to top Go down