APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Mr. Brownstone

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mr. Brownstone

Post by Soulmonster on Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:54 am

MR. BROWNSTONE
Album:
Appetite for Destruction, 1987, track no. 5.

Written by:
Lyrics: Izzy Stradlin.
Music: Slash and Izzy Stradlin.

Musicians:
Vocals: Axl Rose; lead Guitar: Slash; rhythm guitar: Izzy Stradlin; bass: Duff McKagan; drums: Steven Adler.

Live performances:
The song was played for the first time at The Whisky on August 23, 1986. All incarnations of Guns N' Roses have played this song live. In total it has, as of {UPDATEDATE}, at least been played {MRBROWNSTONESONGS} times.
Lyrics:
I get up around seven
       Get outta bed around nine
       And I don't worry about nothin' no
       'Cause worrin's a waste of my... time
     The show usually starts around seven
       We go on stage around nine
       Get on the bus about eleven
       Sippin' a drink and feelin' fine

We been dancin' with Mr. Brownstone
       He's been knockin'
       He won't leave me alone
       No, no , no, he won't leave me alone
       I used ta do a little but a little wouldn't do
       So the little got more and more
       I just keep tryin' ta get a little better
       Said the little better than before

Now I get up around whenever
       I used ta get up on time
       But that old man he's a real muthafucker
       Gonna kick him on down the line
We been dancin' with Mr. Brownstone
       He's been knockin'
       He won't leave me alone
       I used ta do a little but a little wouldn't doSo the little got more and more

Shoved it in the bindle and I shot it in the middle
       And it, it drove outta my mind
       I should've known better, said I wish I never, ever said I
       I leave it all behind
       Yowsa!

Quotes:
This next song is a brand new song and I think it goes with a little bit of warning. I've seen a lot of my close friends, and I've seen a lot of other people I know, get really fucked up when they discovered this drug called heroin. The next thing you know, your life is fucked because you are just too fucking cool. This song is called "Mr. Brownstone". And I think you should stay the fuck away from that bad shit [The Whisky, August 23, 1986]
If you're going to mess with drugs you are going to have to be careful with it...if you want to be around. Deal with it in moderation [?]. This is about heroin, this is a song called 'Mr. Brownstone' [Open Air Theatre, San Diego, USA; September 4, 1987]
I hear different comments about this next song. A lot of questions. A lot of rumours get started...some are true, some are bullshit. But I guess that's Hollywood. Anyway, I've seen a lot of my friends, a lot of close friends, end up in 15,000 rehab centers. I see them have to go in two or three times. Now I haven't got anything against partying...with whatever you can find. But use your head and keep your ass alive, 'cause you're the only one who's really gonna fuckin' look after your own ass! I've seen a couple friends go and I don't want to see it happen no more so you be careful next time you go dancin' with Mr. Brownstone! [Perkin's Palace, December 30, 1987]
It can mean a million different things to a million different people. It's like when you listen to a Zeppelin song, what do you think? I have all kinds of fucking wild ideas about what 'Custard Pie' is about [An Interview With The Gunners, Hit Parader - March 1988]
A lot of people have a misconception about this song. They think it's about drugs. It's not so much a statement about our drug habits; it's a more a statement about other people's drug habits. It's a good little ditty that people can listen to and maybe think about what they're doing [Hit Parader, March, 1988]
And 'Mr. Brownstone'... It reminded me of a Stones-ish type funk-thing and so, I just played around with it. And then, you know, we heard our rehearsal tape back and it sounded like it might work. So, I just started practising that way. (...) We have countless other friends that have spent, you know, upwards to like 50 grand on rehabilitation. They can't get away from drugs. (...) I've lost at least five or six people that I hung out with every day. So Brownstone is just about having a battle with it, and wishing you'd never touched the stuff and trying to get away from it [Axl/Slash Interview - 1988]
This is something about -- I don't know how many of you will understand what I am saying -- letting something else take control of your lives. It could be alcohol, drugs, anything, and learning how to kick its ass. This is something called 'Mr. Brownstone' [Tokyo Dome, December 30, 1988]
(...) One of the first songs we wrote up [at Dean Chamberlain's] was 'Mr. Brownstone,' a track that was conceived under much dimmer circumstances. Izzy, his girlfriend Dezi, and I were up at their apartment one night when we came up with it. They had a little dinette set that we'd sit around cooking up our shit  and then we'd just jam. We were sitting there complaining , as junkies do, about our dealers, as well as just complaining  about being junkies, and that's where that song came from. It basically described a day in the life for us at the time. Izzy had a cool idea, he came up with the riff, and we started improvising the lyrics. Dezi considers herself a cowriter of that track and for the record she did come up with maybe a noun here, perhaps a conjunction there. When we had it all together, we wrote the words down on a grocery bag. We brought it down to teh Fountain apartment and played it for Axl and he reworked the lyrics a bit before the band worked on it at our next rehearsal. Axl could always take a simple Izzy melody and turn it into something fantastic, and that is just one of the examples ["Slash", 2007]
The first time I can remember working out parts with [Slash] was on 'Brownstone.' We wrote that a couple years back in my kitchen. We were sitting around with acoustic guitars [Guitar For The Practising Musician, 1988]
When we moved out of our place on Fountain and La Cienega, I was the last one to leave, and found this piece of yellow paper wadded up in the corner where Izzy's and Steven's room was. It had the lyrics to 'Mr. Brownstone' on it. I read it and went, "This is great". They said they had music for it and we ended up starting to rehearse this thing [Marc Canter: Reckless Road]
I guess that was the most heroin-suggesting song on the record. Izzy and I wrote that sitting in his apartment, loaded. And as most junkies do, we started writing lyrics about the perils and the boredom of the whole thing, the sort of redundant process we were immersed in [Back to the Jungle, Guitar Edge Magazine, March 2007]
'Mr Brownstone' was a thinly veiled warning from Axl to all of us, including himself. We all saw how drugs had been granted a permanent VIP laminate in our lives, but we also believed we were indestructible ["My Appetite for Destruction", 2010]
Being asked about his favorite guitar riff from the GN'R catalog: Middle riff of Perfect Crime, & Brownstone riff Smile [twitter, June 2013]

'Mr. Brownstone' performed live at The Ritz, February 2, 1988:

Last edited by Soulmonster on Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:25 am; edited 2 times in total
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder!
Plectra : 48824

Back to top Go down

Re: Mr. Brownstone

Post by Soulmonster on Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:56 pm

Desi Craft: One time, Slash came to our place on Orchid with a lump of Mexican tar heroin and he wanted to cook it all up. Izzy and I told him to just do a little bit because there was this death tar going around. He said it was okay and shot up. Well, he pretty much went rigor mortis in the chair and we got him on the floor. I gave him mouth-to-mouth and I remember him going "Is this death or is this an angel I'm seeing?", because he was so out of it. Right after that we wrote "Mr. Brownstone" and I wrote that with them. I was really upset that I never got credit for that. But why dwell on the past. That's how that song came about [Marc Canter: Reckless Road].
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder!

Back to top Go down

Re: Mr. Brownstone

Post by Soulmonster on Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:43 pm

Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder!

Back to top Go down