APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Welcome to the Jungle

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Welcome to the Jungle

Post by Soulmonster on Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:38 pm

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE
Album:
Appetite for Destruction, 1987, track no. 1.

Written by:
Lyrics: Axl Rose.
Music: Slash.

Musicians:
Vocals: Axl Rose; lead Guitar: Slash; rhythm guitar: Izzy Stradlin; bass: Duff McKagan; drums: Steven Adler.

Live performances:
'Welcome to the Jungle' was played live for the first time at The Troubadour July 20, 1985. It is the most played GN'R song and has frequently been used as the show opener. In total it has, as of {UPDATEDATE}, at least been played {WTTJSONGS} times.
Lyrics:
Welcome to the jungle
       We got fun 'n' games
       We got everything you want
       Honey we know the names
       We are the people that can find
       Whatever you may need
       If you got the money honey
       We got your disease

In the jungle
       Welcome to the jungle
       Watch it bring you to your knees, knees
       I wanna watch you bleed

Welcome to the jungle
       We take it day by day
       If you want it you're gonna bleed
       But it's the price you pay
       And you're a very sexy girl
       That's very hard to please
       You can taste the bright lights
       But you won't get them for free
       In the jungle
       Welcome to the jungle
       Feel my, my, my serpentine
       I, I wanna hear yous-creem

Welcome to the jungle
       It gets worse here everyday
       Ya learn ta live like an animal
       In the jungle where we play
       If you got a hunger for what you see
       You'll take it eventually
       You can have anything you want
       But you better not take it from me

In the jungle
       Welcome to the jungle
       I wanna watch you bleed

And when you're high you never
       Ever want to come down, YEAH!

You know where you are
       You're in the jungle baby
       You're gonna die
       In the jungle
       Welcome to the jungle
       In the jungle
       Welcome to the jungle
       Feel my, my, my serpentine
       In the jungle
       Welcome to the jungle
       In the jungle
       Welcome to the jungle
       Watch it bring you to your
       It's gonna bring you down!
       Ha!

Information:
This is perhaps the most well-known Guns N' Roses song. The song was slightly changed during taping of Appetite for Destruction: cutting the breakdown down from two repetitions to just one.

Quotes:
This song is for L.A.: This is called 'Welcome to the Jungle' [Los Angeles Street Scene, September 28, 1985]

[Axl] wrote the words in Seattle. It's a big city, but at the same time it's still a small city compared to [Los Angeles] and the things that you're gonna learn. It seemed a lot more rural up there. [Axl] just wrote how it looked to [him]. If someone comes to town and they want to find something, they can find whatever they want. [Hit Parader, March 1988]

"Welcome to the Jungle" is the first song that me and Axl wrote together. We still write the same way. We write a song in a day, in three hours of rehearsal, but it's not as desperate as it was [Guitar For The Practisigng Musician, September 1988]

It's about Hollywood streets; true to life [Geffen Press Kit, 1987]

[It] is an introduction to Guns N' Roses. That's the first song where Axl wrote lyrics and helped me to write. I had the riff part of it [Geffen Press Kit, 1987]

I consider the song to be the most representative of what we're like [Geffen Press Kit, 1987]

Talking about the period after the 'Hell Tour' to Seattle: Axl remembered a riff that I'd played him when he was living over at my mom's house, which was ages ago at this point: it was the introduction and the main riff to 'Welcome to the Jungle'. That song, if anything, was the first real tune that the band wrote together. We were sitting around rehearsal looking to write something new when that riff came to Axl's mind. " Hey, what about that riff you played me a while ago?" he asked. "When you were staying with me?" I asked. "Yeah. It was good. Let's hear it." I started playing it and instantly Steve came up with a beat, Duff joined in with a bass line, and away we went. I kept throwing parts out to build on it: the chorus part, the solo, as Axl came up with the lyrics. Duff was the glue on that song - he came up with the breakdown, that wild rumbling bass line, and Izzy provided the texture. In about three hours, the song was complete. The arrangement is virtually the same as it appears on the album. We needed an intro and I came up with one that day using the digital delay on my cheap Boss guitar pedal board. I got my money's worth out of that thing, because as crappy as it was, that pedal provided the tense echo effect that set the mood for that song and eventually the kickoff for our debut album [Bozza, Anthony, & Slash (2007). Slash. Harper Entertainment: New York]

I wrote the words in Seattle. It's a big city, but at the same time it's still a small city compared to L.A. It seemed a lot more rural up there. I Just wrote how L.A. looked to me. If someone comes to town and they want to find something, they can find whatever they want [Geffen Press Kit, 1987]

It's the perfect introduction to Guns N' Roses. (...) It came across, I think it was, on the third take. We did the whole album that way. Second or third take. That's where spontaneity comes from. If you don't get it by then, you've lost the feel of it [An Interview With The Gunners, Hit Parader - March 1988]

I also used one [a six string bass] on Appetite; "Welcome to the Jungle"'s got one. You can hear this "brriinnng" in the chords when it goes to the slow parts; that the six-string bass [Guitar World, February 1992]

I was at my house and I had that riff happening and Axl came over and he got those lyrics together, and then the band sort of arranged it. We got an arrangement for the whole band, 'cause that's how we work. Someone comes in with an idea and someone else has input and in that way everyone's happy. That came together really quickly too, that was arranged in one day [Guns N' Roses: The Hits - 1992]

I normally don't think about [the creative process]. I go in and sort of adapt. When I'm practising at home, I like to play a lot of chromatic stuff. I stop in between different notes and come up with different ideas and stuff. I'll play however many notes in succession, and all of a sudden I'll catch four and realise there's something there...and I'll start fucking with that. Rocket Queen is indicative of that approach - basically just sitting around and playing, maybe zoning out, watching TV and playing guitar at the same time. All of a sudden, the ear catches something. Welcome To The Jungle has a lot of that, too. It's more or less the same kind of way I've always written; if I'm just tying notes together, not really paying attention, when you catch onto something you start there and begin working on an actual tune [Total Guitar, January 1997]

We started to demo all the songs that we were considering for Appetite, and went through them with Mike [Clink] pretty much as we'd done them before with very few changes. The only creative shift that occurred was one of Alan [Niven]'s suggestions actually. In 'Welcome to the Jungle,' originally we repeated the section where Axl sings "When you're high, you never want to come down." Alan suggested taking one of them out. He was right. It made the song tighter [Bozza, Anthony, & Slash (2007). Slash. Harper Entertainment: New York, pp. 167]

I wrote that part [the intro with the delay] specifically with the effect in mind. I had one of those old, funky, grey, plastic Boss pedal boards, and one of the settings on it was delay. I turned it on and just started messing around. The line is pretty simple, but it sounded very cool with the echoed notes. What's funny is that there are those few extra notes at the very beginning-that diggita diggita-before the pattern kicks in. That's because whenever we would do that song I'd hit the first note a few times to make sure I was in time with the delay. And it just stuck as part of the intro [Guitar World, 2007 (?)]

'Welcome to the Jungle' started out with the main riff of the song, that descending riff, which I played for Axl at my house one afternoon. I have a vivid memory of that. At some point later on, the band was rehearsing and Duff came up with the breakdown section in the middle and I came up with the intro. That part was written with the delay in mind - I think I had just gotten one of those Boss delay units. It was one of those things were the synergy was such that the song came together in one afternoon. I remember the lyrics being especially poignant because they were written about Axl's experience in the streets and his whole summation of moving to Hollywood [Back to the Jungle, Guitar Edge Magazine, March 2007]

Much as I love New York City, I cringe at the thought of "Welcome to the Jungle" being played to pump up fans at Yankee Stadium. It is then that I am the opposite of pumped, and I always think to myself, "No. That song wasn't written for YOU guys!" [Hometown Songs for Hometown (Sports) Fans, Reverb Column, Seattle Weekly, November 2010]

We have agreed to disagree on a lot of things. I’ll give Slash credit, and he’ll give me credit, and we’ll take credit other times when the other guy’s like, “Wait—fuck, dude.” So, there’s this song I wrote when I was about 14 and recorded it with my first ever band, the Veins. [It was] the B-side of this single, a song called “The Fake.” If you ever get your hands on it, you’ll hear the “Welcome To The Jungle” riff. I always thought the riff was too good, so in my 19-year-old recollection, I thought I brought that riff in from “The Fake.” I’m pretty sure I did. It’s too late to argue. We split the publishing evenly, so none of us have had to, thank God. That was probably the smartest thing we did. You don’t hear any arguments about who wrote what, or who gives a fuck [The Onion A.V. Club, May 2011]

One of our signature songs [...] had an even longer gestation [than 'My Michelle'] - part of it went back to the very first song I ever wrote. Now in L.A. seven years later, the main riff from that first song came back to me as we were putting together another tune about the hardscrabble lives we lived. As with 'My Michelle,' one of Slash's amazing chiming staccato riffs became the intro, and the main section of the song hurtled along atop the riff from my Vains song 'The Fake,' now played on bass. Axl had some lyrical fragments he'd been working on since the Seattle trip, and we created an extended bridge around those - a dreamlike section echoing the words 'when you're high' devolved into a churning, nightmarish wash of sound of which Axl howled, "Do you know where you are?" [Duff's autobiography, "It's So Easy", 2011, p. 97]

About his favorite song from before Chinese Democracy: I liked 'Jungle' from the first time I heard it when it just came out. [Teraz Rock Magazine, July 2012]

'Welcome to the Jungle' performed live at the Ritz, February 2, 1988:

Last edited by Soulmonster on Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:00 am; edited 12 times in total
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder!
Plectra : 48861

Back to top Go down

Re: Welcome to the Jungle

Post by Soulmonster on Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:11 am

A cool cover worthy to be added to the thread:

Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder!

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster on Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:22 am

@Soulmonster wrote:A cool cover worthy to be added to the thread:

And a follow-up: http://www.nola.com/celebrities/index.ssf/2011/07/elton_john_snaps_up_hot_croati.html
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder!

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster on Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:24 pm

Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder!

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster on Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:23 am

From a review of Etta James' last record:

What a pity that the world lost this 73-year-old legendary American songstress to complications from leukaemia last month.

But at least she left the music world on a high note: The Grammy-winning At Last singer's last album is strong, spirited and soulful. Her resonant renditions of slow-jams like Ray Charles' In The Evening are testament to her great talent.

The best part? The unexpectedly bluesy, altogether-fierce cover of Guns N' Roses hit, Welcome To The Jungle.

Source: http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Showbiz/Story/A1Story20120203-325612.html
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder!

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster on Mon May 07, 2012 3:26 am

Another cover:

Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder!