APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2006.05XX - Transcript of Eddie Trunk's talk with Axl Rose and Sebastian Bach

Go down

2006.05XX - Transcript of Eddie Trunk's talk with Axl Rose and Sebastian Bach

Post by Soulmonster on Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:46 am

Thanks to gnrfrance.com for some help with transcription. I still lack the last parts.

Trunk: Our new intern Jeremy, he's two weeks in, he's answering calls from Axl Rose, I think he's freaking out (laughs). Shawn, talk to me baby! Talk to me! What is it Shawn? Is he coming up? He's coming up right now, oh my goood! (everybody's freaking out). Wait, I don't know if Shawn knows who we're talking about.

Bach: Wait! Get some music on!

Jericho: Steven Adler is coming is what he's saying

Bach: Get some music on something, dude! Come on, Nightrain! Come on, play Nightrain for me!

Trunk: Jericho, get away form the microphone will you? Ladies and gentleman, Axl Rose has just walked into the studio. I am not kidding you! Axl Rose is here. Sebastian Bach and Axl are having an embrace and, this is absolutely an amazing moment. I am speechless right now, man. (everyone's introducing to each other) Axl Rose has just walked in...fresh from Guns N' Roses rehearsal. Let the man get to the microphone!

Bach: ...in New York City, we were coming from the Giants Stadium show, with Mike Monroe in a limo, and then we dropped some Splenda, I do believe, on the carpet, and you went to the hotel, and me and Mike Monroe were scooting around, on the bottom of the limo, trying to find some Splenda...

Axl: We invented Splenda...

(laughs)

Trunk: Axl, thank you so much for coming in man! I appreciate it, it's an honor...thank you. What the hell happened? In 2006, everybody's on the Redbull all of a sudden! It's like the new thing. Do me a favor, swing that mic around.

Axl: A little while later it should be with the Vodka, Redbull/ Vodka...

Trunk: So, dude, I don't even know where to start man! (laughs) We kinda weren't prepared for this, but we couldn't be happier that you came in and hung out with us a little bit. Eh, tell us what you got going on with the show. You just been in town rehearsing and stuff, right?

Axl: Yeah, I'm just doing four warm up shows to get ready for Europe and we'll see what happens, and it just feels great you know. Everybody's excited, the band is excited. They were rehearsing in L.A, and then they're out here, and they're all excited to be here. It just feels good.

Trunk: Can you do me a favor with that mic and can you get it just a little bit closer? Thank you.

Axl: (...) easier too. I'll move closer to your mic.

Trunk: Thank you, I appreciate that Axl. So, you guys are doing the shows at the Hammerstein Ballroom here in New York and obviously, all four sold out, like immediately. Did you entertain the idea of doing a bigger venue or is it just a case of you wanting to do something smaller?

Axl: No, we wanted to do something small.

Trunk. Yeah...and the band is the same you had at the Garden when you played, except for no Buckethead right?

Axl: Right.

Trunk: And you can't announce who the new guitar player is, or you don't have one yet?

Axl: No, we have one, but I'm not announcing him.

Bach: Oooooh, so that's how you're gonna play it, huh? Okaaay, alright! This is, this is what he has been doing.

Trunk: Let me ask you this dude, because obviously everybody has been waiting forever for your record, and over the years there are certain songs that we've heard in certain places in certain times...

Axl: Oh yeah, what times were those there...!

Trunk: That would be my friend Mike Piazza who's not with us right now...

Axl: Huh-uh...

Trunk: But let me tell you something about that: Axl, I need to clear something up with that, because, and in all honesty, we turned that song over and I had it stripped out of my replays of my show and everything and like I...

Axl: No, no that's really cool...

Trunk: And I hope you know that, I never, it was not intended. Mike is the hugest fan on the planet of you guys and if you remember...this is a funny story I told you a couple of weeks ago. Mike and I went to see GN'R at the Garden a few years ago, and Axl came out onstage wearing sport jerseys from all the different teams in New York, but the only he didn't have was a Mets jersey, and Mike was...(Bach laughs)

Bach: I think he knew that though! I think he knew that!

Trunk: If you could have been in the audience...Me standing next to Mike, who was on his chair, pumping his fist the whole time...

Axl: And then kinda bummed...

(laughs)

Trunk: Axl, with each jersey, it was like a little more air came out of the balloon...

(laughs)

Axl: My chiropractor is a Mets fan, I gotta be really careful around him...

Trunk: Exactly, right!

Axl: He'll break my neck.

Scott: Imagine Axl, if you actually you walked out in a New York Cosmos jersey. He's got a Cosmos jersey! (laughs)

Trunk: Oh man, so is this the start of the whole onslaught that people have been waiting forever for GN'R, the record, and the touring...?

Axl: Hopefully. I mean, the last time when we did it it was like, a lot of people kinda pressuring to do it and thinking it was and stuff...and kinda talking me into it, you know, like, I psyched myself up. And, that US thing did really good for the guys in the band, I mean, they're all still there, I mean, Bucket's Bucket, you know, and he's kinda been in the same trip he's been before he was in, with us, and now he's out, he's kinda in a world of his own. But the rest of the guys, it did just enough that it helped everybody feel like a band and they stayed a band. So it worked out pretty good for us.

Trunk: So, essentially the story is it feels better for you this time around, like it's become more organically, the timing's right for you, you're ready, you're in the right space, you're ready to really commit...

Axl: Yeah, but at the same time, what I'm saying is that we needed to do the shows that we did, back then, to feel like a band. And we did just enough shows for ourselves as a band, and especially, the way the show went down, and the performance at Madison Square Garden, it just helped solidify things for as long as it needed to, to keep that band together.

Trunk: And that was the last show in New York, before the tour ended, can you tell people why the tour ended at that point?

Axl: Ah, no, not exactly.

Trunk: Ok (laughs)

Bach: Are you guys opening up for The Stones too? Coming up?

Axl: We're doing a couple of shows in Germany.

Bach: That's cool...

Trunk: That's unbelievable. I mean, so the European stuff, and then you come back, and the record hopefully in the fall finally...

Axl: Yeah, absolutely.

Trunk: And you also have Brian May on the record right?

Axl: I don't know if he'll actually be on the album. This hasn't been completely decided.

Trunk: Cuz I read a quote from him, he said: "Yeah, I recorded that a long time ago."

Axl: Yeah, he did. But that's still on the demo of the song.

Trunk: Right, and that's when I'm gonna ask you about the leaks. Not only what happened here years ago, but also recently, which I have nothing to do with...

Axl: I haven't listened to the leaks, so I don't know...

Trunk: Are they actually songs? Is it stuff...do you know what it was? Was it music that's gonna be on the record, or is it old stuff that's not even been used, do you know?

Axl: No, it's stuff that's gonna be on the record. Except, it's still debatable like...there's songs we're still shuffling around, I mean we recorded about 2 and a half/ 3 albums worth of material. So, there's still stuff that's gonna bounce between one and two.

Trunk: How long is the record gonna be? Is it like 2 CDs?

Axl: No, it'll be a regular CD.

Trunk: One CD. And since you're here, and there's so many rumors...and so much stuff people have said over the years. Let me address this one with you. Was there any...

Axl: (kinda tired) Weren't you guys doing an interview?

(everyone laughs)

Trunk: They're speechless.

Bach: We're all fans man!

Axl: Yeah, I mean, come on...

Trunk: This is all about you right now!

Bach: We're rock fans, man!

Trunk: You know what, this is funny Axl, this is the first time everyone in this room has shut up in the last two hours!

(laughs)

Axl: I don't have to worry about the clubs closing out here...

Bach: Yeah, that's right!

Trunk: I couldn't get a word out of Edgewise (??) until you walked in the room, and then there's this whole room full of loud noise (laughs). Let me ask you one more question that I want to find out too. There were some rumours circulating recently that there was talk that you would do or that there was rumblings about possibly doing shows with the original line up of the band and then...all rumour...

Axl: No, that's all nonsense. That's just people starting stuff for whatever reason. They'll hear the leaks, and they'll decide, who wrote the solo, you know because they don't like the guy that's playing it, they'll say someone else wrote it, people make up all kinds of stuff.

Trunk: Do you keep up with all that stuff though, or do you roll it off your back?

Axl: I have to keep up on it, because, there's a lot of the stuff sometimes you need to shut down, you know...so you like, have to be on top of what the people have...the people are doing the nonsense of what they're doing, so you can kinda stop some of it. Otherwise it would be a lot worse.

Trunk: Right. Dude, I mean, I'm so thrilled that you're here. What do you want to do man? Do you want to play music?

Axl: You guys do your thing!

Trunk: No, no, this is about you.

Bach: Do you want to pick some songs?

Trunk: Do you want to take some calls from people?

Axl: Noooo...aaaaah...Ace of Spades!

(everyone's clapping)

Bach: How about Dread Zeppelin?

Axl: Yeah, there you go!

Trunk: Do you need anything man? Food, drink, do you need anything at all?

Axl: No, I'm good. Brain was in a band called Ted Zeppelin.

Bach: Who was?

Axl: Our drummer. Yeah he had a band called Ted Zeppelin. It was a Zeppelin/ Nugent band.

(laughs)

Axl: Yeah, Ted Zeppelin.

Ian: Let me ask you Axl, we always talk about metal, we just talk about nothing else...the ongoing debate, I have to go there, I said I would ask you, who do you like better? Priest or Maiden?

(laughs)

Axl: Old Priest. (everyone's clapping) And the first Maiden album.

Trunk: (...) Well, as requested by Axl Rose, who's in the studio with us, this is Motorhead and Ace of Spades...

Bach: Yeaaaahhh!

Trunk: Kick some ass!

(Motorhead's Ace of Spades playing)

Trunk: Alright, there was Motorhead's Ace of Spades requested by Axl Rose, who's in your studio, yes you heard me right, it's Eddie Trunk, we gotta do a quick break and then we're gonna come right back with more with Axl Rose right after this, please, I know you're not going anywhere...

(Commercials)

Trunk: Alright, we're back on the air. Just a bit of a distraction going on back there for a second. Eddie Trunk with Sebastian Bach, Scotty Ian, Chris Jericho and you know this guy Axl Rose (laughs) you may have heard of. Axl's been nice enough after he called in to join us from rehearsal with GN'R rehearsing in New York City, getting ready for shows. No sense of mentioning the shows here in New York, cuz theyre all long sold out, and then you go to Europe, and then, hopefully from there...

Axl: We'll start doing the fall here. In the States.

Trunk: We'll see what happens. Baz, you orchestrated this thing, and you...

Bach: Axl orchestrated it...

Trunk: He showed up and you were the catalyst so...

Axl: I sent a text...I didn't what you guys were doing, your thing, I didn't know what was going on, I was just going hey it's time to call Bas...

Bach: Right on!

Trunk: Axl, can you get up on the mic? I'm sorry...

Axl: I just knew it was time to call Bas...It was like ok 13 years...and 40 days...(laughs)...call now!

Bach: How do you make that like window...?

Axl: I don't know...

Bach: Ok, well I've just got so many great memories of him like...

Trunk: You guys toured together right?

Bach: Yeah, but we also hung out a couple of...you know, quite a bit, you know....Everybody has you know this image of him, you know, and me of like this mystique or whatever, and people always say like: "what does that guy like?", and I go let me describe to you Axl, ok. We get in the nicest car at that time I've ever seen, some Mercedes or something, I think it was black, or it could have been silver, I can't remember, but this beautiful car, and I'm like, we're driving around Hollywood, and I'm thinking he's gonna put in you know, some music on man, and I don't know what he's gonna put on, cuz, you know I'm intrigued about people's musical tastes...

Axl: I'm getting scared...

Bach: ...and he grabs a CD, he looks through all the CDs and he goes: "I got it!", he puts it in, and, Axl cranks up W.A.S.P (laughs)...and he's rocking his head off... (Bach singing WASP)...and then I turned and I go: "I cannot believe, this is the choice of Axl Rose!" (Axl laughing his ass off). It's like this guy rocks man! And then, he's like, OK, Sebastian, I gotta...(radio playing WASP)...he's got a lot of taste, and then we stop, and he goes: "I gotta make one stop", so as the WASP is cranking, he pulls in some alleyway and he goes in the back of this restaurant and buys a tin of caviar, but $800! (everyone laughs) And he goes in the car and he goes: "Have you tried this man?" I don't know! He goes: "I paid 800 bucks for this man!" It's like: Geez!

Axl: Everybody else was doing blow so I was doing caviar and champagne (laughs)

Bach: To a WASP soundtrack!

Ian: Is the new Guns N' Roses' guitarist Chris Holmes? (laughs)

Axl: Yeah that's it! The Mean Man!

Jericho: (Unintelligible)

All: Woah (Laughter)

Jericho: Leave it to me to be the first guy to break the cherry

Bach: Have another brew.

Trunk: Leave it to the pro wrestler over here, huh

Jericho: Its always me

Trunk: Axl, were you into a lot of metal growing up? Where you a metal freak like all of us?

Axl: Yeah, yeah

Trunk: What bands did you love? Like the bands you just worshiped as a kid?

Axl: Well, Sabbath

Trunk: Yeah, of course. Now let me ask you this because a lot of people who come in here, like I'm 41, Baz is a couple of years younger, Scotts the same age.....

Axl: Oh, we gotta get into that, great

Trunk: Oh no, no, no, I'm not asking you that, I'm just trying to get the time line....

Axl: Where's my Geritol?

Trunk: I'm not asking you like that.....

Axl: I need some ensure

Trunk: For me my first Sabbath album was actually Heaven and Hell so I'm wondering where did you come in Sabbath where you into... I got Heaven and Hell and than went back, but I mean where you a Dio?, did you come in on Ozzy?

Axl: Like, Technical Ecstasy

Bach: Yeah, right on, right on!

Trunk: Because so many people its surprising they come in, no we started with Dio around 80 and than we went back and learned the other stuff, so...

Axl: No, no. I had a friend in like 7th or 8th grade who sold all the pot but I didn't smoke pot but I'd go to, like, he had this black room and his dad was a guitar teacher and I'd go sit there and he was actually cool about, he didn't, like, where other people would mess with you if you chose to or not do drugs or whatever you know he didn't, but turned me on to Sabbath you know and....

Bach: That's cool

Trunk: Wow, and what else?

Axl: I was just really into Ozzy singing at the time

Trunk: Right

Bach: Yeah, you liked Dan McCafferty to though right?

Axl: I don't know, I would listen to about everything, I can't right now trying to figure out what I listened to at the time

Trunk: Where you a Kiss fan at all? Cause Baz...

Axl: I liked the hits that were on the radio, I mean the same car he's talking about I would, like, ride around you know and like sneak up on people at the bus stop, because I had a really loud stereo, sneak up on them at the bus stops and start Dr. Love....

Bach: Yeaaaah, Dr. Love

Axl: Dr. Love has always been one of my favorite songs because they played it on AM radio and if you know Gene and you know Gene's world and you think about Gene's world backstage and where his tongue was going, it just, I can't believe they play that song on AM radio back in the day

Trunk: Especially the little bridge part....

Axl: (Singing like Gene Simmons) "You're not the only one I ever had". You know?

Bach: What about "Christine Sixteen"?

Trunk: Right!

Ian: What was that about?

Bach: What is the middle part? He goes...

Axl: Yeah, I don't understand the meaning

Bach, Trunk: "When I saw you walk out of school that day"

Bach: "That day I knew, I knew I've got to have you, I've got to have you"

Axl: And he's like twenty something and he's in this beat up car, stoned, cruising the high schools

Trunk: Wait the best part about that, here it is (Christine Sixteen starts to play)

Bach: Ooh, its creepy

Axl: It is, isn't it

Trunk: And the best partt is out of that he goes "She's been around, but she's young and clean"

Ian: the best Gene lyric though is in "Going Blind" when he says...

Ian, Bach: "I'm 93, and you're 16"

Ian: 93!

Bach: I know that's perfect, (Unintelligible) is scaring me in that song

Jericho: 63 wasn't bad enough

Ian: By the way, Ed Trunk, Gene will be expecting a royalty check for...

Trunk: No, I just played, (Impersonates Gene Simmons) "You just played Christine Sixteen on New York radio, Ed. I get three cents on that please. Payable to Gene Simmons Empires."

Axl: You'll get that call!

Trunk: No doubt man. So what do you want to play? Do you want to play some music? Do you want to talk to some people? Do you want to just hang? What do you want to do? I'm asking the room

Bach: Let's play some music

Axl: Play some music

Trunk: What do you want to hear? "Christine Sixteen"?

Bach: He wanted the Nazareth song

Axl: It doesn't matter to me. It doesn't matter to me.

Trunk: I have the Nazareth song but it's the live version, I don't know if it's bogus or not

Ian: Thin Lizzy

Bach: Thin Lizzy, Hey, "I'm A Rocker" by Thin Lizzy. "I'm A Rocker".

Jericho: Do you have that?

Trunk: Yes, of course I do

Jericho: With your close personal friend John Sykes, Ed

Trunk: Yeah but this is pre John Sykes

Bach: Or you know, "Bad Reputation" could be appropriate

Ian: "Bad Reputation", cowboy song

Bach: Yeah, you know "Do What You Wanna Do" is a great song

Axl: Ehh, you really want to play a cowboy song in the Brokeback Mountain Days?

Jericho: He's on fire

Bach: Nice, he hasn't changed a bit

Trunk: Baz, give us one story from when you toured with Guns N' Roses, besides the one you just told. Anything from the road that you recall?

Bach: Well there's many things, you know. There's one thing Axl wasn't afraid to kind of tell it like it is a couple times.

Axl: Or tell it like it wasn't.

Bach: Well, I remember when we were doing Slave To the Grind record, I was literally out of my mind you know, partying a little too much in Hollywood and you know Axl called up Doc and Scott and said you gotta get your boy out of Hollywood and Scott's like why and Axl goes "Cause he's gonna die".

Trunk: Did you say it like in "Welcome To the Jungle"? Did you scream "You're gonna die"?

Axl: No, but sometimes you all have to watch out for one another...

Bach: That's right.

Axl:.... and don't let it get to far over the edge.

Bach: And I don't forget that, I never forget that.

Axl: He had to get out of Hollywood, I had to gey out of New York. I'd come here and after about a few couple of weeks we'd be like "W w w we need to get out of here, w w w were gonna die". You know because you're the one who's now the bartender at the hotel.

(laughs)

Bach: And than you were telling me the other day that you lived in China for three months?

Axl: Yeah, we went and stayed in China for about three months, Beijing, Shanghai, and Xian

Bach: What was that like?

Axl: We'll he filmed like, you know they eat alot of bugs.

Bach: What is it like the Fear Factor show?

Axl: Absolutely

Trunk: How long ago did you live there?

Bach: Did you eat bugs?

Axl: Well, I didn't live there, we just went and stayed there a couple of years ago.

Trunk: A couple of years ago. That inspired the name of the album at all?

Axl: No it was before that but then I just thought I should go. I wanted to go before they banned me. So, you know, I mean Chinese Democracy that doesn't quite work for the government over there.

Bach: Hey, I want to ask you this. What do you think of that jack-off band The Offspring?

Axl: It doesn't mean anything. I mean I'm not saying that they don't mean anything , it just doesn't matter you know?

Bach: No, its just, I'm like, Get your own scene dude. It's like get your own thing

Axl: But what I would say is like didn't they have a song for I think the movie Orange County or something?

Trunk: I don't know I'm not a fan.

Axl: But they had a song that I liked its message and everything and it was like "Well aren't you, you by the stuff you're talking, aren't you going against your own song?" You know I dug what there song was about standing up for yourself and this kind of thing and then they were turning around and being the opposite. That what I thought was interesting.

Trunk: The story was that they tried to take the title of the record or whatever

Axl: Yeah, well you know

Bach: It didn't work

Axl: Every time a lot of people are putting out a record its like ok well let's talk about this

Jericho: Do you even listen to that Axl? Do you even care like the speculation in the media and all that do you even pay attention...

Axl: No, Oh no, not at all never, Um mmm......

Trunk: None of you guys were obviously at the Madison Square Garden show.

Axl: .... never, I'm unfazed

Trunk: And you remember man we went to that show and after the show.......

Axl: When have you ever known me to be reactionary?

Bach: Dude, the first time I ever met you, we were opening for Aerosmith at the L.A. Forum and the first knock on the door was David Lee Roth. He goes "Heeey, man.....

Axl: No, he.... You and I were telling him that he was one of our biggest influences, our biggest inspirations. First thing is like, we meet and he...... has........ two joints and two beers and hands me one of each.......

Trunk: Is that Sebastian or Roth?

Axl: Uh, Sebastian, and....and ...... and then we started singing "Train Kept A Rollin'" because now I'm gonna get to go sing it with Aerosmith, and so the whole room kind of freaks out and starts staring at us, you know, and then later were telling David Lee Roth he's like one of our biggest influences.......

Bach: He took us out!

Axl: .....and to his defense he later apologized but he comes up, puts his arms around both of us and goes "You guys aint nothing but pretenders to the throne"...

Bach: I'll never forget this in my life

Axl: ..... and he's, Baz, is like (higher voice) "Dude! Why are you being such a dick?"

Bach: No, let me give my side to that, ok? So here I am with like my heroes and stuff hanging out, Rick Rubin was the guy who drove us to the Rainbow and David Lee Roth wanted to take us out so (Phone rings), that's my "Balls To The Walls" ringtone.

Trunk: Baz has a ring tone from Accept?

Bach: Yeah

Axl: I heard Izzy was.... I was hanging out with Izzy here in New York and I heard that, uh, he was telling me that Udo's wife wrote all those lyrics..

Bach: Wolf's wife, Wolf's wife

Trunk: Her name was Dioffy(sp?)

Axl:.... and she wrote all the lyrics to "Balls To The Wall", he was kind of freaking out about that

Bach: And their kind of like gay lyrics, kind of...... but anyway

Trunk: Well, but there written by a woman though

Axl: "London Leather Boys"

Bach: So they...

Axl: I had this friend that wore this Judas Priest shirt, he goes "I wore that "Ram It Down" shirt for like a year"

Jericho: Don't get me started. There was "Jawbreaker"....

Axl: ...... he was really upset about that. Go on

Bach: Oh my god. Just my side of the David Lee Roth thing, he.... um, I remember him taking us out there and I was in the middle of Axl and David and I remember vividly Brett Michaels came and to the table and goes "Hey man, can I sit down with you guys?" and we go "NO!" So anyway Dave is really being cool and he's being funny. He orders a drink and he's like this "Medic!" like he's being total Dave, but the more whiskey he drinks the meaner he gets, and I just sense this vibe and than, uh and than, the way I remember it, he takes one shot of Jack, looks over at you and me and he goes "Well, it looks like I got a couple pretenders to my throne right here.", and you looked at me like "What did he just say?" Cause I......

Axl: I just remember you going "Duuude!", it was like.... (higher voice) "Why are you being such a dick?"

Trunk: I can't believe Sebastian would ever say something like that

Axl: I know its hard to picture

Bach: But than the next week I got this letter...

Axl: Yeah, I got a letter too

Bach: .......yeah, hand written from David Lee Roth saying "Hey man..."

Axl: Well mine was from a judge

Bach: .......he goes "You two guys remind me of why I first got into music and stuff..."

Axl: Yeah, but than he goes and turns around and does it again, later and, so I just, you know, whatever

Bach: Yeah, yeah

Jericho: At least you guys are on the airwaves in New York City and he's not

Axl: Dave's great

Bach: I love Dave, I love Dave

Axl: You were just playing some, right?

Trunk: No we haven't played Van Halen yet. We can though.

Axl: Oh that's because I was listening to your competition, that's right

Trunk: Well you know what, you're on this station now, not theirs, so there you go, enough said.

Bach: I want to hear "Out of the Tiles" by Led Zeppelin though

Trunk: Alright we can do that. Do you want to do that right now?

Bach: Yeah, this is one of the songs we did in the Damnocracy band...

Trunk: Tell Axl about your thing man, he doesn't even know

Bach: Well we have Jason Bonham in this band so we did each song by each of us, we did Only by Anthrax. We didn't know if we should do a Bonham song like Air(Race?) His other band....

Ian: Jason didn't want to do a Bonham song. He was like "Let's do a Led Zeppelin song"

Bach: Yeah, so we wanted to do "Whole Lotta Love" because Ted knows that and its good for my range. Right, that's a good song for me. So, uh, but we had to get clearance from them, right? So Jason had a meeting with Robert Plant........

Axl: What do you mean "Its good for your range?" When you have a.......

Bach: Well its in there. Its in there

Axl: I mean that's a pretty big parking space

Bach: Awww, thank you, dude, that's nice of you . Coming from you that's.......

Trunk: Axl Rose that's, you know, look at Baz he's glowing right now baby

Bach: No. You know the only other time he said that "You gotta hear this guy, his friend Shannon, is when you said that to me. You go "He's got a higher voice than you man." and I was like "What?" And he did have a higher voice

Trunk: Yeah and the first time anyone saw Shannon Hoon was in the Don't Cry video, that was the first time that, uh.......

Bach: So anyway, Robert Plant and Jimmy Page go "Why are you doing that song?" Like its so obvious, and Robert goes "I wonder what Sebastian would sound like doing a song like "Out On the Tiles" by Led Zeppelin. Then I was like cool. Than I started learning it and the second verse is completely out of time. Coming in, its not on a count, it's a studio flub. So I know he was having a little chuckle, like, have at it. You know what I mean.

Trunk: Speaking of Zeppelin stories, Kramer told me once that the echo back in "Whole Lotta Love" "Way down inside.." you hear it down in the background, that that is actually a mis... that the tape was over saturated, it was a mistake on the tape and they played the play back and Eddie heard it and he's like "Oh man, that take is bad" and Robert and Jimmy were sitting there and they go "No, play that again" and they listen to it again, cause it was a different take on the track and they left it like that. That was a mistake that they intentionally left. You couldn't even do that now because nobody has analog tape anymore, you know.

Bach: Hey, how do you feel about Pro Tools on lead vocals?

Axl: What do you mean?

Bach: Like, I mean I just went through this horrible experience doing this album with this guy that like took my lead vocals and like put them and made them so perfect that it was nauseating, like that's the style now of producing lead vocals, like making it so perfect that to me it sucks

Axl: I think that there all types of different ways to do it, I mean you can definitely overproduce it and make it too perfect that it's a nightmare and it makes it sterile. Or you can use a little bit of everything. You can push it every way possible using the technology and doing it, everything you can do. We.... the only thing you have heard has been the leaks but there's different things where its just like.... I don't like to stretch things with Pro Tools or anything like that. I don't like that kind of cheating...It's a lot faster.

Bach: Yeah, yeah!

Axl: It depends on the quality of the sound.

Bach: But it's like one of my favourite vocal moments is like...

Axl: But like, the whole auto tuning kinda thing...

Bach: It makes me sick!

Axl: ..house music. Hey I got a good - Wait. House music. So I was talking with Jimmy Iovine and he says - I love this story. He says he was with Bono back, you know, way back on...I think it's Joshua Tree or whatever. "With Or Without You" was on it, ok? So, Bono plays him some music and goes: "This is house music." Jimmy listens to it, and then he plays "With Or Without You", and Jimmy goes (impersonating Jimmy Iovine): "No, this is house music! If you put that out, you can buy a house!"

(aughs)

Bach: That's funny.

Trunk: Axl, let me ask you something real quick, and we're gonna put a song. I wanted to ask you this: Tommy Stinson's still in the band right?

Axl: Absolutely.

Trunk: And I had read, cuz I'm a huge Soul Asylum fan, and I had heard that Dave Pirner, is he on the record too? Or did he do something on the record? On the GN'R record?

Axl: Not that I'm aware of. (laughs) Not that would be a bad thing, but I don't know anything about that...

Trunk: Cuz I knew that Pirner, I mean that Stinson also did some stuff with Soul Asylum, so, and like I said, there's all rumors...

Axl: No, but we haven't crossed any path with them, other than that.

Trunk: Oh ok. Cuz again, I heard Brian May, Dave Pirner, I hear about all these guests that were on this record...

Axl: Well, we just have...We worked with different people over time, on different ideas here and there, and then you've ended up keeping some of the same songs. But maybe you don't work with the person that you did something with a long time ago. We did a lot of different things with, a lot of different guitar players so...

Trunk: Yeah. How many songs? It's been, you've been working on the record for, what has it been now? 10 years? Is it that long? Or longer?

Trunk: (laughs) On and off...

Axl: It's definitely on and off. So...

Trunk: So, how many songs total exist? Like, how much of a body material did you have to ultimately pull from this record? Was it like, 50 songs? You had to come up with the 10 that are going to make the record? I mean, that's part of the process, you just...

Axl: That's kinda like everybody's thing, isn't it? But, there's a lot what we've kept. I mean, there is, there's 2 records that the majority of the music's done, and the majority of the vocals are done. And there's another half of a record that's being worked on. We were actually working on a song a little bit tonight that's not, even on the first two records.

Bach: Cool! I can remember when they were doing "Use Your Illusion"...and the...

Axl: Well "Use Your Illusion" has got...You know, there's a much longer...I won't, there's a much longer story that..."Use Your Illusion" is...(sigh) basically Slash wanting to take over the band, Izzy being in his drug world, and the only way that we were able to even survive as a band was to make this double thing you know, like Slash's solo record, Izzy's solo record, and then I wrote stuff, but I mean, I had the phone calls of calling these guys going: "I'm not doing yours, if you don't do his!", and then calling Izzy and saying: "I'm not doing yours, if you don't do his! And I'm not doing either of yours, unless we do mine, and we'll do mine last!" But, it was that kinda fight for years. You know...

Trunk: How about the videos from those records man, for the Illusion records, I mean, those...

Bach: I got the best Guns N' Roses video, and you never seen it...It's...

Bach: ..."It's So Easy"

Axl: No, I just think it's corny, so...I don't know, I just, I like the filming of it, that whole aspect, but...

Trunk: Is there a favourite video that you've done? Like "Welcome To The Jungle"? Like that first...

Axl: Look, all I know is all I really wanted to do, this is dead serious. "Sweet Child". Huh, what I really wanted to do for that and...that was having about this woman from the Orient bringing her baby and getting it you know through customs and stuff, and carrying this baby and everything, but at the end, some guy splits it in half cuz it's dead and filled with heroin...

Bach: Ooooh...My God!

Axl: ...but the record company wouldn't let me do it. That's what Sweet Child was supposed to be about.

Bach: Dude, I gotta mention, Del James gave me a copy, maybe he shouldn't have...of the "It's So Easy" video.

Axl: Oh, that's fine.

Bach: That's a good one. That's my favourite Guns N' Roses video.

Trunk: What's going on in there?

Bach: It's...

Axl: That's where I'm spanking Erin (Everly)...I'm spanking Sweet Child so...

Bach: There's an S&M, very quick shot at the end, oh man! But it's all like, you know...

Axl: Yeah, but the messed up part of that is: you remember Earl, you know the security guy I had?

Bach: Yeah, yeah.

Axl: So, Earl is this big huge black guy you know, and we went to the Pleasure Chest to buy the bondage gear for the video. But the guys behind the counter just seen me with this huge giant black guy and they think that...(laughs)...they're looking at me like: "Yeaah! You're one of us, it's cool! Thumbs up man! Right!" And I'm like...(laughs) that was messed up. They were like just..."Alright man. You rock dude!"

Bach: You're taking one for the team!

(laughs)

Trunk: You know what's amazing too, I remember, I worked for a label in the 80's, and I remember back when they had the WEA conventions. The very first time I heard Guns N' Roses. Because, they had all these sweets, and all the WEA labels got together and showcased their new music, and I'll never forget, walking into the room, and the guy from Geffen bringing me over and saying: "This is a new band I want you to check out. They're called Guns N' Roses. I want to show you the video." And he put the video on for "Welcome To The Jungle", and cranked the hell out of it, and I remember everyone just jaws on the floor like: "Oh my god, everything is about to change..."

Axl: But it didn't, it didn't. We released that thing 3 times.

(untelligible)

Jericho: ...I remember seeing the Ritz in New York the first time.

Axl: They were shoving it down. I tried to get you to do that with "Slave To The Grind", with the song.

Bach: To what?

Axl: I tried to get you to push "Slave To The Grind". I told you to keep releasing it until people finally go like: "Ok, we give up!"

(laughs)

Bach: I actually...

Axl: Yeah, but I wanted him to release it again, and again.

Bach: I like the way you're thinking! Can I say something? The first time I ever saw or knew Guns N' Roses, I was in a band called Madame X. So anyways we were on tour, I was about 17 years old, or 18 years old, and I was in a supermarket in, like, I don't know, Maryland or something, and I bought a Hit Parader magazine and I saw, I never heard of Guns N' Roses, just one picture, and your hair was completely teased, but on your pants you wrote: "Glam sucks!!" And I literally got mad in the supermarket! I go: "Who? Why does this guy have teased hair but he has Glam sucks! on his pants?"

Axl: I think that was wide out too. (laughs)

Bach: But you were making a statement right there! And in the supermarket you were messing with my head.

Axl: I think it's like Kurt Cobain on the cover of Rolling Stone and like "Corporate mags suck" or whatever, too.

Bach: But you did it first.

Ian: The first time I saw Guns N' Roses was in Winnipeg, Canada, that's where I grew up. Yeah, you guys were touring with The Cult. And no one really knew Guns N' Roses by the summer of '87 and these like bums walked onstage, and this guy walked up to the microphone and said: "You wanted the best? Well they ain't here, this is Guns N' Roses!" (laughs) And Duff plugged in and it was like "eeeeeee" and started "It's So Easy" and within about 3 seconds it was like: "These guys are the greatest ever!"

Axl: "It's So Easy"...was originally a hippie ya-ya song. And Duff and West wrote this song like on acoustic, and it literally went like: (singing country-like) "I see your sister in a sunday dress..." Oh absolutely, and we were rehearsing in L.A and Slash basically just starts raping the song and I ran up and started like, doing like the evil Iggy Pop over it, while West is standing there and his face is like drooping, like: "My song Sad"

Bach: "Look what they done to my song?"

Axl: Yeah. We just destroyed his song right there.

Bach: How's West doing?

Axl: Huh, he's not.

Bach: No?

Axl: West is no longer with us.

Bach: Oh my lord...

Axl: So, maybe he's doing better. (laughs) He appreciates that you cared...

Bach: I remember hanging out, and drinking, and doing a bunch of stuff. I also remember, remember when I punched Izzy's brother in the face cuz he called me a homo? Like, I didn't know who he was...remember?

Axl: (laughing) I remember something like that...

Bach: It was at Alpine Valley, you were like: "Sebastian, I'm taking you on the road", I was like: "Thank you so much!". And I sit there watching your gig, and some guy comes up to me. I'm sitting there and he goes: "You're such a pretty boy, man! Look at you man! Look at you!" I go: "Hey man, come here!" Boooom! and I punched him right in the face!

Axl: Probably Joe.

Bach: (untelligible) and they get me up against the wall. And they go: "Dude, that's Izzy's brother!"

Axl: Skid Row was second choice...for the tour you were second choice.

Bach: Who was number one?

Axl: N.W.A (rap band). I tried SO hard to make that happen and...couldn't. I mean, I wanted to do this. But I was trying to like, cuz I just wanted to take...you know, cuz nobody knew who those guys were at the time. You know, and it's like...I turned Izzy onto it and he was talking about that the other night. He goes: "All I know is you put this thing in and I heard it and I was like: Yeah let's buy guns!! (laughs) And I did, I went out and I bought all these guns!" (laughs)

Trunk: What's Izzy doing now?

Axl: Huuh...he's probably gonna be out here. He might show up for the shows or something, we'll see.

Bach: Ooooh...wooooooh...I'm trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together.

Axl: I don't know, I don't mean like being vague. I have no idea. Izzy does what Izzy does. I mean, it's like, you talk to Izzy one day and then you think hey we're gonna go over here to this record store but whatever. The next day you find out he's in Trinidad you know...or he's like, no I just had to go to the desert and do donuts in Nevada, you know. He races like hardcore racing trucks in Baha. He does stuff like that, so...

Trunk: Where does he live?

Axl: In L.A.

Trunk: In L.A. Alright, the point I was trying to make with the whole Guns N' Roses story, with the "Welcome To The Jungle" story, is that I remember that whole introduction vividly. Working in the records industry and how it happened, and now, here we are, whatever it is, almost 20 years later, and are you amazed at what that song has become? And the point is that you cannot turn on a live sporting event...

Axl: They play a lot of things, I mean...

Trunk: But that more than anything now man...

Axl: (humming something)

(untelligible)

Bach: Some young dude...

Axl: Fambla(??)

Bach: That's horrible! That's kinda like I cringe when I hear that at the sporting events. I cringe when they play a Great White song man...I mean...I'm like: "How can you play this band?" Like on VH1 Classic.

Ian: They play "Rock Me" like every week.

Axl: I have the quintessential Great White story though.

Bach: You do?

Axl: I do. Ok, so Jack is doing all of these blow...(Baz' laughing)...with all these guys...

Trunk: You guys had the same management at one point, didn't you?

Axl: All these middle-eastern guys right. Ok, and he runs out of cash. Right, and he wants some more. So somehow he manages to catch a fly, right. And he goes in the bathroom, he chops the fly in half and he puts it in a veil, an empty veil right. And then he comes out, and he puts like half a fly in front of these guys sitting there you know, it's no big deal. He's got a straw, he pisses it off, he acts like he snorts this fucking half a fly...(laughs - because of the swearing on live radio)...There's half a fly up his nose right. Ok. So, they're like: "what are you doing?". He goes: "It's this Afghanistan titsy fly you know and it's like, they'll annihilate you, and you'll be hallucinating all this stuff." And he eventually trades the other half for a bunch of blow. Right, so, then he gets the blow, this other guy snorts off half a fly and it gets stuck up in his nose. (laughs) You know. And Jack goes running down the street...

Jericho: How did he catch a fly? Was he Jack Miagi? (sp.?)

Axl: I have no idea! Yeah. Wax on, wax off.

(Bach singing Great White)

Trunk: Oh my god. You guys wanna play records or you got stories like this...?

Axl: I don't understand, a titsy fly.

Bach: That's some goood fly dude!

Trunk: Oh my god. Alright, well we're gonna play, you wanna hear "Out On The Tiles" right?

Bach: Yes!

Trunk: Alright, we're gonna do that but I got a 3 minute break and then we'll come back and I promise you we'll play that. We're gonna go as long as we need to go so...Axl Rose, Sebastian Bach, Chris Jericho, Scott Ian. By the way, the Supergroup show May 21st on VH1. Scott Ian and Sebastian...

(laughs)

Ian: (ironically) By the way...

Trunk: (laughs) at 10 o'clock. And look for the GN'R record to come out in the fall and the tour to follow as Axl Rose is hanging out with us. Baz! What have I gotta do? Buy you dinner for a life or what? We'll come right back...Oh my god, hold on a second, we got a little problem with these commercials...

(commercials break)

Trunk: Alright we're back. Eddie Trunk here. Scott Ian hanging out, Sebastian Bach, and Axl Rose in the studio, and you know what man? We are gonna go past our end time because...

Axl: (ironically) I've never done that before!

Trunk: You never got past ti...(realizing) (laughs)

Bach: Axl's always on time! I gotta paint that picture! I gotta paint that picture! Nassau Coliseum, 1991, we're on stage, Doug Goldstein...we do our all set...

Trunk: Doug Goldstein is the manager, just for people listening right now.

Axl: At the time.

Bach: So I turn around, I'm ready to leave, we've done our set and he goes: "Keep going!", I go: "Whaaat? What do you mean keep going?". So we do a couple of Aerosmith songs,and we do "Youth Gone Wild" again, we actually did it twice in the set, I swear! And I go: "What is going oooon?" So, we come off stage finally, and then...

Axl: That was a mess. But that is another night that WASP saved the day. All these things went really bad and all of a sudden I put WASP on, I got fired up and stuff, starting jumping over all the furniture, and I went through the show...

Bach: (laughs) Are you serious?

Axl: Absolutely. I kinda got set up to got things go wrong. And so, the person that was involved in that was staring at me when I discovered the WASP, like: "How did he...And why...And certainly why is he turning around and he's now fired up when before he was suicidal, and he was exactly where I wanted him to be, and now HE'S PULLING OUT OF IT! AND NOW HE'S GONNA DO THE SHOW! HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE??" And I'm like: "YEEEES!!" And then I went onstage and blamed it all on Tom Zutaut. It didn't really have to do with Tom I guess, but...

(untelligible)

Bach: The definition of cool, alright. The definition of cool. Everybody's FREAKING OUT backstage, like the whole arena is imploding, all the fans are screaming...

Axl: I find that very hard to believe. That's very unusual.

Bach: It was like midnight. So anyways. Everybody's freaking out, and me and Mariah are walking down, we see all this commotion down on the hallway, right. Like, people jumping around, just going...I go: "What is going on?" So I walked down the hallway, and it's you surrounded by a maelstrom of people, jumping and freaking out...

Axl: I was afraid with the maelstrom (male-strom), I wasn't sure where that was going...

Jericho: Male love!

Bach: So you got Stephanie on your hand, and you looked like bored, you were like whatever. And I go: "Dude! Where were you?" And you go like this, you go "I was taking a shower..."

(laughs)

Axl: I don't know, man.

Bach: Yeah that's what you said! You said: "I was taking a shower"! It's like, right on dude!

Trunk: Scott, do you have any GN'R stories? You've been quite silent in this whole thing.

Scott: I'm just taking the whole thing in.

Axl: We've never really crossed paths, though, did we?

Scott: Not so much, I saw you guys a couple of times in the early days, the early Ritz shows.

Axl:

Last edited by Soulmonster on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 54131

Back to top Go down

Re: 2006.05XX - Transcript of Eddie Trunk's talk with Axl Rose and Sebastian Bach

Post by seely on Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:12 am

That story about the bondage gear still cracks me up each time [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
seely

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 3176

Back to top Go down

Re: 2006.05XX - Transcript of Eddie Trunk's talk with Axl Rose and Sebastian Bach

Post by Soulmonster on Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:24 am

And this reminds me that I need to finish the transcription...It's so boring work... Zzz
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 54131

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum