APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2010.08.27 - Reading Festival, UK

2 posters

Go down

2010.08.27 - Reading Festival, UK Empty 2010.08.27 - Reading Festival, UK

Post by Soulmonster Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:12 pm

SET-LIST:
01. Chinese Democracy
02. Welcome To The Jungle
03. It's So Easy
04. Mr. Brownstone
05. Sorry
06. Live And Let Die
07. This I Love
08. Rocket Queen
09. Street of Dreams
10. You Could Be Mine
11. Sweet Child O' Mine
12. November Rain
13. Nightrain

SHOW CUT SHORT BECAUSE OF CURFEW. BAND SARTED 1 HOUR LATE.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:39 am; edited 3 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76232

Back to top Go down

2010.08.27 - Reading Festival, UK Empty Re: 2010.08.27 - Reading Festival, UK

Post by Soulmonster Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:37 pm

Interesting threat from Melvin Benn, the head of Leeds and Reading festival:

"If Guns N' Roses decide to take to stage as late as they did in Leeds some years ago then the performance just won't happen. I've had a very heavy warning from the local councils. There is a curfew -- it's a very strict curfew. We got away with it once. We won't get away with it for a second time. Unfortunately, if the band chose not to take to the stage on time there's really nothing I can do. I won't be allowed to break the curfew. The truth is -- it's threatening the viability of the festival. It threatens the licence. It really is quite important."

Source: http://www.spinner.com/2010/08/24/guns-n-roses-leeds-reading/
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:45 am

A new low. Coming one hour late when explicitly told the plug would be pulled and hence risking a riot. Utter ridiculous.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:37 am

"Axl flounders as Reading made to wait for its rock fix
Reviewed by Nick Hasted
Saturday, 28 August 2010

The boos must echo through Axl Rose's dressing room.

An hour after he and the shattered substitutes for his band, Guns N' Roses, are due onstage, he still refuses to walk out to play to his public. When he does, with the title track for the album Chinese Democracy, which it took him 18 ludicrous years to finish, the boos barely relent. The Reading Festival's proud British rock crowd treat this exhausted, insulting star with contempt.

At the end of the first night of what may end as a legendary Reading Festival, the car crash that was expected of Rose duly piled into a wall.

His scraped-smooth, red-raw skin makes Mickey Rourke's look normal. His cheap silver jacket looks like one you might pick up outside a Las Vegas gig by a Guns N' Roses tribute act, who would play with more commitment. His voice loosely recalls Cartman, South Park's eight-year-old anarchist, when whining about his homework.

The early part of the set includes cult tracks from Guns N'Roses' debut album, Appetite for Destruction, from which fans stagger away in shame. The Replacements' bassist Tommy Stinson has been dragooned into what might mercifully be Axl's last stand. He can do nothing for the sad, slack stumble this band has become. Even "Welcome to the Jungle" is dribbled out with no meaning. Fireworks flare to fool the rubes, Axl sputters, and lets his career die. Only the bell-boy still owed money at whatever Royal Berkshire hotel he's staying after this nightmarish one-night stand might wish him well, for one night only.

For "Sweet Child O' Mine", he changes into a red check shirt that would go down well in a country bar on a slow Monday. He tinkles away at a keyboard – as if he's an artist – but never says sorry when he falls far short. The contempt of this tinny, redundant show by a blissfully ignorant ex-star is mutual long before the end.

Last year's Reading was the dullest in memory. But there's far more potential this year for the chaos, anarchy and inspiration rock'n'roll always promises. Guns N' Roses suggest you be careful what you wish for. But Pete Doherty's reformed The Libertines, due tomorrow, along with the highly anticipated return of exuberant critics' favourites Arcade Fire, promise explosive behaviour. As does a defiant reconnection with Reading's headbanging, hard-rock spirit, from Queens of the Stone Age on Friday to Blink 182 at the weekend's close.

The increasingly middle-class and mature nature of newer festivals such as Latitude and Cornbury has never been Reading's way. The rock festival as teenage rite of passage and test of endurance always comes into its own as tents start to sink out of sight, and cleanliness is left behind for the weekend, along with mum and dad.

The unlikely sight of the baking, cracked moonscape of Glastonbury this June – where festival-goers more used to taking precautions for trenchfoot suffered blistered skin from the endless sun – was suddenly a fond memory, when Reading in its early hours looked set to be a swamp. The sun and cloud of a typical late summer evening, and the unimpressively ankle-high spatters on the boots of those jostling to see Friday's first big names, Lostprophets and Biffy Clyro, meant a real, blackly liquid mudbath would, in fact, be averted. Many were disappointed at that. But the contempt for Axl confirmed that there was a real rock festival waiting to take place."

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/first-night-guns-n-roses-reading-festival-2064007.html
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:30 am

On Saturday 28th August 2010, @bumblefoot said:

Hi honey, what a day at the office! Had the plug pulled on us, power shut off - I grabbed an acoustic, Deej turned his amp up, Ax grabbed a megaphone, told him I'd grab 10 random people from the audience and bring 'em on stage for a personal acoustic show, but shit was winding down, local security wasn't lookin' to help, had a bit of a Paradise City sing-along but finally we had to just bid farewell... (Leeds: Axl/management will let ya know if there's gonna be any definite change of plans...) This is the kinda crazy shit I need, I feel fukkin good - party hoppin with my bandmates for the last 6 hours. Love you!!
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:14 am

DJASHBA Last night was insane! They pulled the power, but failed to kill the connection as 90,000 people sang Paradise City. Much love to you all!!! 19 hours ago reply
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:14 am

tommy_stinson had such a great time at reading festival til they pulled the plug.queens of the stone age ripped!!! couldn't have been nicer guys.thanks 18 hours ago reply
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:17 am

On Saturday 28th August 2010, @DJASHBA said:
READING FESTIVAL - Apparently the promoter has had a personal grudge with GN'R stemming from 8 years ago, if this was the case why book the band? He knows our show. Let me guess... To take our fans money and then not allow us to give them a show that they payed for. This was clearly not a curfew thing because after cutting our power like a selfish money grubbing prick, he allowed music blasting through out the venue till the early morning. For us this was all about the fans, the show and the music. For the promoter it was all about the money and not about the fans or the music. The promoter was already being a cocky f$#k in the press before we arrived, so yes we went on a little late, and for this we apologies. However, our fans payed to see a show, and that's why we showed up, too give them just that. Sad that this promoter's music festival has little too do with the fans or the love for music. Last night was insane! They pulled the power, but failed to kill the connection as 90,000 people sang Paradise City. Much love to you all!!!

On Saturday 28th August 2010, @DJASHBA said:
Seems some of you took my post out of context. I in NO way meant that we went on late because the promoter was being a cocky prick. I simply stated that, then I went on to apologies to the fans for us going on a little late. Peace out.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:19 am

richardfortus I don't think there is another band out right now that has the balls to do what we did last night. 12 hours ago reply

richardfortus Axl insists on doing things his way and not playing by the fucking rules. You can love him or hate him for it, but the fact of the matter is.... he's the real fucking deal. skin, blood and soul. Deal with it or not, but it won't ever change.

richardfortus long live rock n' roll 12 hours ago reply
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:47 pm

On Sunday 29th August 2010, @axlrose said:
In regard to Reading we feel at the very least the fans deserve an apology from those responsible for the nonsense. We'd also like to thank the fans for being so great, singing along n' not tearing the place apart!!

Is Axl Rose apologizing for risking a riot by turning up too late to a show with a strict curfew? Suspect Nah, he's implying that the organizers should apologize for actually doing what they said they would do, pulling the plug when curfew came. It's a funny world Carefree
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:06 am

Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:13 pm

Now, the kind of journalist who makes it all about themself is of course objectionable, but these are objectionable circumstances, so forgive me. My first ever gig as a festival reporter was Leeds 2002, when Guns N' Roses turned up two hours late but smashed it out of the park nonetheless. I may have mentioned that Axl was "as big as a house." He may just have called me out onstage in London a few days later, naming me a "pussy" who owed him rent for "living in my ass for so long." It was a career high, yes, but those also feel like kinder, more innocent days. This was when Chinese Democracy was still an illusion we could all use. But now we've heard the dowdy reality, and tonight we got the worst of both worlds. The band took the stage just a measly hour late, had their set cut marginally, but not dramatically, and turned in a show that was the ultimate insult to the Gunners dream, in being simply unmemorable. True, the magic of hearing the likes of Welcome To The Jungle, It's So Easy and November Rain live cannot be diminished. But last night Reading was challenged to judge whether this was enough, and Reading judged "no". There was no charisma, no chemistry and actually, so little vocal that the rumour of the night was that Axl had drafted in Mickey Rourke as a body double. Certainly, the boos negated his vocals down to nothing. And when history is written, it shall be told that the GNR dream ended with an unedifying sit in - in which Axl tried to whip up a disinterested crowd into voicing outrage over the shortened set. After such a mess, it's perhaps not surprising that the rumour of the festival today is that the band were not paid for their performance and will not be appearing on Sunday for the Leeds leg.

And so after all that, it gives me no pleasure to diss GNR online for a second time. But rather than a boyish jibe about his girth, this was about insulting their fans and, worse, their legacy. So c'mon Axl. Bring it. Do your worst. Oh! You already did.

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2010/aug/28/guns-roses-reading-festival-2010
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:43 am

Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by seely Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:45 pm

I was there (and at the subsequent gig at Leeds), my first GN'R show, and one hell of an eventfull one. I'm glad I got to go to the other one though, if this had been my only GN'R gig of the tour, i'd have felt short changed. (Even if we only got two other full songs at Leeds)

Still, least we got 4 good pro-sht songs out of it (Including This I Love, a great performance..but nothing can beat seeing that song being performed live in front of you..)
seely
seely

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 5133

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:46 am

If you don't have the bootleg you can find it in our Bootleg section.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by seely Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:25 pm

Yeah i've got a decent quality audio version of this show, still on the lookout for a decent Leeds one

(The only full one i've found so far is the Dell James recording, which might as well be considered the 'Frank Ferrer experience')
seely
seely

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:27 pm

Hehe, put a request for it in the Bootleg section and I will see what I can get.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by seely Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:05 pm

DJ's "Las Vegas To London" video, contains some extra footage of the show, plus a cool look at the GN'R plane

seely
seely

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:23 pm

Excellent! I also embedded the youtube video.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down