APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Rolling Stones perform with Axl and Izzy in December 1989

Go down

Rolling Stones perform with Axl and Izzy in December 1989 Empty Rolling Stones perform with Axl and Izzy in December 1989

Post by Soulmonster on Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:10 pm

Came across this promotional poster for the December 17 show on the Stones' tour. Apparently, "Axel Rose" was there, too. Izzy is not mentioned.

Rolling Stones perform with Axl and Izzy in December 1989 Cedar_10

Here's the performance:

Izzy would later talk about the performance:

The Stones were asking me: 'Which song are you doing?' We'd chosen 'Salt of the Earth'. Nobody knew it! And I'm thinking: 'Fuck, you guys wrote it over 20 years ago! You must remember some of it!' So we go back in this little trailer and Mick Jagger's got a tape-player and he's listening to it, with the lyrics written on a piece of paper in front of him. And I'm sitting there playing acoustic guitar with Keith Richards and I'm thinking 'This is sooo cool!' 'Cos we're playing it thru' and Charlie and Bill Wyman are sitting there, listening to it. And I'm just flipping out, thinking 'God, this is sooo wild!' Finally we finished the song. They all turned to me and said: 'So where's your singer?' And I didn't have an answer! Axl was late again. Real late [VOX, October 1991].
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 57974

Back to top Go down

Rolling Stones perform with Axl and Izzy in December 1989 Empty Re: Rolling Stones perform with Axl and Izzy in December 1989

Post by Blackstar on Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:43 pm

MTV news report about this:

http://www.a-4-d.com/t3599-1989-12-17-mtv-news-report-axl-izzy-slash

It includes an excerpt from the press conference the Rolling Stones did before the pay-per-view show:
Journalist: Why have Guns N’ Roses when there’s been so much controversy over their lyrics with references to blacks, and homosexuals, and immigrants?

Mick Jagger: Because we want to appeal more to the gay/black market.

(Laughter in the room)
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 15651

Back to top Go down

Rolling Stones perform with Axl and Izzy in December 1989 Empty Re: Rolling Stones perform with Axl and Izzy in December 1989

Post by Blackstar on Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:54 pm

And an article in Philadelphia Inquirer, December 18, 1989, which contains excerpts from the Stones press conference including the Mick Jagger quote above:

Rolling Stones perform with Axl and Izzy in December 1989 1989_110
Rolling Stones perform with Axl and Izzy in December 1989 1989_111

---------

Axl and Izzy guested at three Stones shows in Atlantic City (Dec. 17, 19 & 20) but only the Dec. 19th one was pay-per-view.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 15651

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster on Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:58 pm

@Blackstar wrote:MTV news report about this:

http://www.a-4-d.com/t3599-1989-12-17-mtv-news-report-axl-izzy-slash

It includes an excerpt from the press conference the Rolling Stones did before the pay-per-view show:

Journalist: Why have Guns N’ Roses when there’s been so much controversy over their lyrics with references to blacks, and homosexuals, and immigrants?

Mick Jagger: Because we want to appeal more to the gay/black market.

(Laughter in the room)

That's a hilarious quip considering all the bad press GN'R was getting at the time.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 57974

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum