APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2008.09.08 - VanityFair.de (via Blabbermouth & Music Radar) - Slash calls Chinese Democracy "a great statement"

Go down

2008.09.08 - VanityFair.de (via Blabbermouth & Music Radar) - Slash calls Chinese Democracy "a great statement" Empty 2008.09.08 - VanityFair.de (via Blabbermouth & Music Radar) - Slash calls Chinese Democracy "a great statement"

Post by Blackstar on Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:52 pm

SLASH On 'Chinese Democracy': 'It's A Great Statement By AXL'

VanityFair.de recently conducted an interview with VELVET REVOLVER/ex-GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Slash. An excerpt from the chat follows.

VanityFair.de: What do you think "Chinese Democracy" — the album your former colleague Axl Rose has been working on for ten years now — will sound like?

Slash: To tell you the truth: I already listened to it. At first I thought that I would never listen to it until it's released, but someone handed it to me and I was in my car and I was like, "Okay, let's give it a try." So I listened to it: It's a really good record. It's very different from what the original GUNS N' ROSES sounded like, but it's a great statement by Axl. Now you understand where he was heading all this time. It's a record that the original GUNS N' ROSES could never possibly make. And at the same time it just shows you how brilliant Axl is. So it was a relief for me to actually hear it.

VanityFair.de: Many of the songs already leaked to the Internet and a blogger was arrested by the FBI recently, because he published the material on his website…

Slash: All the Napster stuff and all these people who talk about illegal file sharing killing the record business and taking money out of the artists' pockets! It may be true. But Napster was just a reaction to the record business not catching up with the development of the Internet. Napster was inevitable. But when somebody takes somebody's work and releases it prematurely just to become famous, it's an incredibly selfish and criminal thing to do. A record is a piece of art. And it shouldn't be released until the creator decides to release it — and I don't care how long it took to make it.

VanityFair.de: Do you use the internet yourself?

Slash: I'm an old-school guy. I only got a laptop within the last five years — and I hate it. The only new piece of technology I use on a regular basis is my Blackberry. I became addicted to it. No wonder it's often called "Crackberry."

https://tinyurl.com/y9hyr26t

----------------------------------

Slash calls Guns N' Roses' Chinese Democracy "a great statement"

By Joe Bosso
September 08, 2008

Guitarist also bashes new bands

MusicRadar users voted Axl Rose as the best vocalist to join Velvet Revolver. And perhaps Slash is in agreement - the guitarist has surprisingly kind words for Chinese Democracy, the Guns N' Roses album Axl has labored over for well over a decade. Maybe he wouldn't mind playing the songs live.

"I already listened to it," Slash revealed during a recent interview. "At first I thought that I would never listen to it until it's released, but someone handed it to me and I was in my car and I was like 'Okay, let's give it a try.'

"So I listened to it: It's a really good record. It's very different from what the original Guns N' Roses sounded like, but it's a great statement by Axl. Now you understand where he was heading all this time. It's a record that the original Guns N' Roses could never possibly make. And at the same time it just shows you how brilliant Axl is. So it was a relief for me to actually hear it."

Nine tracks off the album have already been leaked onto the Internet, and Slash had harsh words for the perpetrator. "When somebody takes somebody's work and releases it prematurely just to become famous, it's an incredibly selfish and criminal thing to do. A record is a piece of art. And it shouldn't be released until the creator decides to release it - and I don't care how long it took to make it."

While Slash remains staunchy committed to Velvet Revolver and their search for a new lead singer, he looked back fondly at his early GN'R days.

Money for nothing...except beer

"I think what was great about Guns N' Roses is that we made it on our own integrity and we didn't give up anything to anybody and made it on our own merit. The early gigs didn't pay well at all. We actually looked forward to getting paid after a gig, but it was usually for the beer. I kept a straight job for a while."

On the subject of current bands, Slash cast a dim view on their need for instant stardom. "Everybody else is making compromises and concessions so that they can make it big and get their picture on the cover of Teen Beat or Us Weekly or whatever. There's a sort of, kind of, selling out to that."

https://tinyurl.com/yclctwhx
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 17874

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum