APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Notes

Go down

Notes

Post by Blackstar on Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:58 am

I thought of creating this separate thread for (side)notes, suggestion and discussion on the history, so that they don't interfere with the flow in the main History thread.

Last edited by Blackstar on Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 3335

Back to top Go down

Re: Notes

Post by Blackstar on Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:12 pm

I moved this post from the History thread
-----
@Soulmonster wrote:
Guns N' Roses and homosexuality
[...]

Axl: [...] The only people I deal with that are gay are [Cathouse DJ] Joseph Brooks and [DJ-about-town] Henry Peck, and I try not to offend them. Their sex life doesn’t come into any view of mine, ‘cause I’d just flip out. So it’s not like some kind of aggressive-against-gays shit. [...] [L.A. Weekly, May 1988].

Axl mentioned these two DJs in other interviews, crediting them for helping the band and passing its demos to Geffen (this could go to Chapter 15, I guess):

AXL: There are these two guys, Joseph and Henry, and they run a lot of the after hours clubs. They knew Izzy and they liked our band, so they told Tom Zutaut from Geffen about us. He met us and he liked us. Then he came to another show and he liked it a lot. [...] [Concert Shots, May 1986]

AXL: I think the “glam” label pretty much applies to people who didn’t necessarily want to be associated with punk or heavy metal or whatever. It gave them something to identify with. This scene particularly evolved out of the Fetish club, and the Glam Slam that evolved out of the Fetish. It’s Henry Peck’s fault! [L.A. Weekly, June 27, 1986]

Joseph Brooks is also thanked at the end of the "Don't Cry" video:

AXL: [...] Joseph was the guy who... You know, Don’t Cry was his favorite song, and he’s a DJ out here in Hollywood that keeps a lot of bands alive, and keeps people listening to them, you know, a bit alternative and a bit hard rock, and he works in all the hard rock clubs. He got our song Don’t Cry to the record company in the beginning, and I didn’t feel that anybody that he had helped had really thanked him enough. And I knew if I put it on there, it would be permanent; and if I didn’t put his last name – his name is Joseph Brooks – people would be like “Who is Joseph?” [Rockline radio interview, November 27, 1991]
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster on Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:01 am

Good idea. I have started adding more info about Brooks and Peck, and will likely add more later, too. Just need to figure out which chapter it naturally belongs (about Izzy and his connection to Vinyl Fetish, about how them helped to connect the band to Geffen, or something else).

On a general note, I will also have to restructure the chapters again. Some of the chapters get too large and for ease of reading must be divided into new chapters. I will also have to add some chapters that I didn't think about when I first started on the outline of the history. I am almost finished with all interviews up to the start of 1988, all will continue with 1988 and 1989. This means that new chapters will be added to the end, and that additional info will be added to existing chapters. The history will not be finished until every single interview and article has been used as a source, all the way up to the present date. And as new interviews and information is made available, the history will be revised and corrected. It truly is a living thing but will hopefully be the most comprehensive source to the history of the band, and since it is so strictly based on what the band members (and people around them have said) hopefully not author-biased.
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 53330

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar on Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:03 am

Regarding the Chicago sessions in 1989:

Steven says in his autobiography that they started in March 1989, but all the other sources (other autobiographies and articles of the time) state that they took place in the summer, most likely in June and July. I think Steven either means that March was when the band booked the rehearsal space for future use in the summer or he simply gets the timeline wrong.

There are other things in Steven's account of that period indicating that his memories are blurry and confused (which is not surprising considering his condition at the time). He says, for example, that November Rain was a "new song" Axl had when he finally showed up in Chicago, although everybody knows that NR wasn't new at all; and then he says that Civil War was a song written during the Mates rehearsals after Chicago, although by the others' accounts the music of it was written by 1988.

It's also odd, while he has everything else confused, that he claims he remembers when exactly Axl arrived in Chicago and  has even counted the days! He says that Axl showed up two days before the booking time for the rehearsal space ended, but it doesn't seem to be the case. By the other accounts it seems that Axl showed up in Chicago about a month later, i.e. around early July, and they all (minus Izzy) spent some more days -maybe a week or two- together there. Then it seems, according to Slash's and Duff's autobiographies, that Slash, Duff and Steven left and Axl stayed behind in Chicago. The article with the quotes from the Peruvian Shining Path leader, which were used in Civil War, is another indication that Axl was in Chicago in mid-July. Articles were often reproduced in many newspapers across the U.S., but, at least as far as the newspapers that are archived online go, I've found this particular article only in Chicago Tribune.

And despite the incident with Izzy's visit in Chicago described in Slash's and Duff's books, there are events indicating that Axl and Izzy spent some time together during that summer. On July 22 the two of them were in New York jamming with The Cult (gnrontour.com). Izzy also says in the interview with The Face (which was published in Jan. 1990, but from the content it seems that it took place in August 1989 when Izzy was in Europe) that "last week" he and Axl flew together from NY to Indiana.
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum