APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

THE HISTORY OF GUNS N' ROSES - IN THEIR OWN WORDS

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Re: THE HISTORY OF GUNS N' ROSES - IN THEIR OWN WORDS

Post by Soulmonster on Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:06 pm

Placeholder

Last edited by Soulmonster on Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 53330

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster on Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:06 pm

Placeholder

Last edited by Soulmonster on Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster on Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:12 pm

Placeholder

Last edited by Soulmonster on Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster on Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:43 am

Placeholder

Last edited by Soulmonster on Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster on Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:50 am

Placeholder

Last edited by Soulmonster on Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster on Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:10 am

Placeholder

Last edited by Soulmonster on Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster on Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:34 am

Placeholder

Last edited by Soulmonster on Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster on Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:04 am

1989-1990 - RELATIONSHIP ISSUES

One of the backsides of success was frequent relationship problems. Slash, who had enjoyed being able to go out before he became a celebrity, felt locked up in his apartment and house in-between tours:

I can't move about as freely as I used to, and I find it very mentally trying. I feel sort of like a cartoon character. People come up to me and it's always like, 'Hey dude, drink this beer, dude'. Or they wait for you to do something crazy, or a whatever... People don't see you as a real human being, and they're constantly trying to grab at you and sit down with you and be your buddy for five seconds. It's just really awkward. And I find that going out to clubs, which is something I used to do, you know, every single night and get trashed, isn't something I can really do and enjoy any more. It's actually at the point where when I go out to a club, I end up leaving just totally depressed. It really brings me down. And everybody wants to have your undivided attention. And if you don't give it to them they act like you're an asshole who's on some rock star trip... Which I think is something that everybody goes through. But you just can't do it... It's like, they never wanted my attention before... It's really a pretty traumatic experience sometimes. […] I just don't really go out any more... So, you know, there's been a real downside to all this. I'm only just now realising. I don't go out that much; I don't have that many close friends. And what close friends I have, the times I get to see them are usually few and far between... […] It gets to be a little bit lonely sometimes, yeah [Kerrang! April 1989].
Steven lived with a girl at the time, Cheryl, but his drug use ruined the relationship:

I spiraled downwards as the drugs took over and soon I became a selfish prick from hell.[...] Anything could set me off and soon Cheryl was spending as much time out of the house as possible. I stopped bathing. I wore the same shirt for two or three weeks. I wasn't thinking or caring. I was totally self-absorbed. This was it, the lowlife's high life [Steven's biography, "My Appetite for Destruction", 2010, page 185]

Axl had a turbulent relationship to Erin Everly [quotes to be added later] and had not been able to curb his violent outbursts. In a Rolling Stone interview from August 1989, it is described how he had wrecked his condo in West Hollywood: "One guitar has been destroyed, a mirror wall shattered, several platinum albums broken beyond repair and the telephone dropped off a twelfth-story balcony" [Rolling Stone, August 1989].
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster on Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:10 pm

MERCHANDISE

Duff: Although there is this whole corporation now, this Guns N’ Roses industry with merchandising and concerts and tickets.

Hit Parader: Are you going to coming out with a lunch box next?

Slash: No, no lunch box.

Hit Parader: Remember when Kiss did that?

Slash: I hated that when they started selling folders and stuff like that.
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster on Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:11 pm

THE MAKING OF LIVE ERA.

Duff: "Yeah, we’ll doubtless record and video shows on the next tour. In fact, we’ve already done some dates in Japan that way" [Raw Magazine, July 1989].
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster on Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:11 pm

PLANNING THE USE YOUR ILLUSION TOUR

Axl: "We're already designing stages. […] On the 1988 tour, we wanted to show it could be done with just amps and a drumkit but that doesn't mean we're against big stageshows. We just wanted to prove that you don't need a big stageshow. Your music comes first and your performance onstage - that's priority. After that I think you can add anything you want. […] We love big stageshows, and if we come up with one that's a lot of fun for us, then we'll do it. We hope that people don't think we've sold out, 'cause it's not an attempt to sell out. We just like the lights and everything, but we haven't chosen to use those things yet and it's worked out good. […] I would like to experiment. I don't know that we'll be doing any of this stuff next year, but I'm really interested in lasers and holograms. I don't really have the time to find out about it right now, but there's the possibility of getting everything we can involved with our stageshow, 'cause it's like a living work of art" [Kerrang! June 1989].
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster on Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:12 pm

Yet another quote for the future:

Axl: I hope I'll be really satisfied after [releasing the follow-up to Appetite]. I don't want to go solo, but there are areas I'd like to explore - maybe movies - where I might not be able to stay in the band to do it [Musician, December 1988].
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster on Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:12 pm

THE MAKING OF THE SPAGHETTI INCIDENT!?

In early 1989 rumors were spreading that the band planned to release a set of themed EPs, including a Punk, a Metal and a Rap EP. Asked about his, Slash responded: "Well, we've been talking about doing an EP of cover songs, maybe. […] The cover songs we've been talking about doing, though, are things like a Steve Jones song - a Pistols song that Steve Jones sang and wrote called 'Black Leather'. And we're talking about maybe doing 'Jumpin' Jack Flash' by the Stones; an old Misfits song; and a couple of different things…" [Kerrang! April 1989].

In July 1989, the band talked about a punk EP, a live release, and an "an X rated acoustic EP" [Raw Magazine, July 1989].

Duff: "But we have talked about doing a Punk EP. We’d probably do stuff by the likes of Fear, the Adolescents, The Sex Pistols, the sort of music we listen to before going onstage" [Raw Magazine, July 1989].
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster on Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:13 pm

RIOTS

Another temporary chapter. Not sure I will devote an entire post to this thread, but let's see where it goes.

Slash: "I read something in a magazine - it might have been a quote from me or from Axl, I can't remember - where it said we liked seeing an audience at the point where everybody's about to beat each other up and that we get off on that kind of thing... that we've generated that much excitement, that much intensity. [...] But to correct myself on anything I might have been quoted as saying in the past, I don't really want to see anybody beating themselves up, because crowd violence is not a pretty sight. […] Any individual getting hurt during a rock show really isn't what it's all about... But it is a fine line because you do generate that much of power where you can get people to go crazy like that. And it makes you crazier, and suddenly it can be like the whole place is about to explode! And that's great, but to get the crowd going that nuts you have to be able to find a way to stop it going any further from that point. You have to find a way to cool out or something fuckin' heavy will happen..." [Kerrang! April 1989].

Slash: "There's been a couple of gigs where we've had to consciously slow down a gear... Donington, of course, was one of them. There was another gig, in Upstate New York on the Aerosmith tour, which was particularly intense, too. After we got of stage, the medics booth outside, where all the casualties pass through, was just loaded with kids..." [Kerrang! April 1989].
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum