APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

THE HISTORY OF GUNS N' ROSES

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Re: THE HISTORY OF GUNS N' ROSES

Post by Soulmonster on Fri May 11, 2018 6:04 pm

IZZY LEAVES THE BAND

I don't really enjoy being a center of attention. I'm more into the music and what's happening with that. I enjoy having those guys take care of the publicity [Circus Magazine, September 1988].

Last edited by Soulmonster on Fri May 11, 2018 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 52428

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster on Fri May 11, 2018 6:04 pm

ACCOLADES

Another chapter I haven't really decided where to place. It's about the musical skills of the band members. I mean, GN'R was popular because of their songs, but individually, band members have been praised as musicians, especially Axl and Slash. So this chapter will deal with that, praise from others (non-band members) and their own words.

Axl

I’ve been singing since I was five years old. I sang in church from the age of five until I was 15. It was a Pentecostal holy roller church, eight miles out in the country. I played the piano in church [Spin, January 1988].[/i]
I grew up as a kid listening to Elvis Presley and gospel records, you know, and then when I got older I got into greatest hits in the 70s and all that stuff, and I played piano for years so I was really into anything to do with piano, Elton John and Billy Joel and stuff like that. But then when I started singing, you know, hardcore rock and roll I was really into Dan McCafferty of Nazareth [Unknown UK source, June 1987].[/i]
Despite this, according to Spin in May 1988, Axl never wanted to be a singer "because he didn't like his voice" [Spin, May 1988].

I'm like a second baritone, and I just worked on widening my range, to get a high range. And so then I just try to find the way to use it. Use the whole thing rather than limit myself [Headbanger's Ball, September 1988].

Last edited by Soulmonster on Fri May 11, 2018 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster on Fri May 11, 2018 6:05 pm

AXL'S DEMONS

"Her hair reminds me of a warm safe place where as a child I'd hide
and pray for the thunder and the rain to quietly pass me by
"

Another chapter I am not really sure where to place. Probably in 1991 (?) when he talked about being abused as a child. I suppose it deserves its own chapter, at least as a possible light on his behavior as an adult.

In this interview from September 1988, Axl seem to hint at ugly things happening when he was a kid. Of course, "certain things" could just be an overly protected environment where he was limited in various ways, but of course also mean an abusive upbringing, something he would talk about at length in 1991:

And it took a long time and it's still, even to this day, I still have to deal with, you know, coming to grips with certain things that happened during my childhood, and certain things I wasn't allowed to do and allowed to hear and everything like that [Headbanger's Ball, September 1988].

Last edited by Soulmonster on Fri May 18, 2018 10:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster on Fri May 11, 2018 6:05 pm

Added an index to first post. I will try to come up with better names for the various chapters, likely references to song lyrics. I also intend to break up the chronological presentation of the main history by chapters that discuss various aspects of their lives. I have started on a chapter about how they lived and rehearsed in the beginning. Natural other chapters will deal with drugs, musical influences, family, etc.
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum