APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2014.04.23 - Club Nokia, Los Angeles, CA, USA

4 posters

Go down

2014.04.23 - Club Nokia, Los Angeles, CA, USA Empty 2014.04.23 - Club Nokia, Los Angeles, CA, USA

Post by Soulmonster Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:26 am

April 23, 2014 - Club Nokia, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Setlist:
01. It's So Easy
02. Welcome to the Jungle
03. Better
04. This I Love
05. You Could Be Mine
06. Sweet Child O' Mine
Jam [Baby I am gonna leave you]
07. November Rain
08. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
09. Paradise City

Date:
April 23, 2014.

Venue:
Golden Gods, Club Nokia.

Line-up:
Axl Rose: Vocals and piano
Richard Fortus: Rhythm guitar
Bumblefoot: Lead guitar
Dj Ashba: Lead guitar
Duff McKagan: Bass
Frank Ferrer: Drums
Dizzy Reed: Keyboards
Chris Pitman: Keyboards.

Notes:
Duff filled in or Tommy who either had an injury or where busy with The Replacements.

Quotes from band members:
We wanted to [play a long set for the Golden Gods]. We were very happy that you guys allowed us to do that. We were glad to be asked to do it and we had fun with it [Revolver Magazine, May 2014]

2014.04.23 - Club Nokia, Los Angeles, CA, USA BkuVNRjCYAAdcNS

Last edited by Soulmonster on Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:40 am; edited 7 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76232

Back to top Go down

2014.04.23 - Club Nokia, Los Angeles, CA, USA Empty Re: 2014.04.23 - Club Nokia, Los Angeles, CA, USA

Post by Soulmonster Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:10 pm

Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

2014.04.23 - Club Nokia, Los Angeles, CA, USA Empty Re: 2014.04.23 - Club Nokia, Los Angeles, CA, USA

Post by Soulmonster Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:18 pm

Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:08 pm

Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:57 pm

Not a bad show at all. A little better than I expected.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by denitza Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:16 pm

Soulmonster wrote:Not a bad show at all. A little better than I expected.

Yes, I think this is pretty good performance.
denitza
denitza

Plectra : 4845

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:03 am

And lastly, Guns ‘N Roses took the stage as the headlining live act of this event, playing a surprisingly long set which lasted for about 75 minutes and spawned 11 songs, certainly not the norm for these Golden Gods shows wherein no band has ever played more than 3 or 4 songs. There was a 15-minute lull before they appeared at 10:45 PM, and the same old rumblings of Axl Rose’s lateness started circulating amongst people in my vicinity, some even speculating whether Axl was going to play the show at all. But the band came out and delivered more than what anyone would have expected, featuring the return of bassist Duff McKagan not only to boost the rhythm section and backing vocals but also to give the band a more ‘legit’ collective persona specially in the eyes of those who’re fixated on the classic lineup. Granted, Axl Rose started out sounding uneasy on the vocals but from the fourth song onwards, he upped his level, and slower songs like ‘Better’ and ‘This I Love’ allowed him more breathing room which in turn resulted in him giving his 100 per cent on the last few songs of the set, including the beautiful ‘November Rain’ and culminating in a great rendition of ‘Paradise City’. Guitarists Bumblefoot, DJ Ashba and Richard Fortus were excellent as always, playing the songs with absolute perfection, and besides the GNR songs they played a couple of delightful little jams as well, including Bumblefoot’s intro teaser of Zeppelin’s ‘Babe I’m Gonna Leave You. Together, all eight members of the band combined to deliver an excellent Guns ‘N Roses set, which in the honest words of my photographer/friend Matt Nielson, was a lot better than when he saw the band back in ’92. That in itself speaks a lot for the current lineup, and I would urge people who hate Guns ‘N Roses without giving them a semblance of a chance to go check out a live show (not a live stream, an actual show) and decide for yourself. My only complaint from this set would be the excessively long version of ‘Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door’, which if shortened down would perhaps serve the band and their audience a lot better. Other than that, this GNR set was an apt end to an event that began on a fantastic note and had a lot of filler in between.

Set List:
01. It’s So Easy
02. Welcome To The Jungle
03. Better
04. This I Love
05. You Could Be Mine
06. Sweet Child O’ Mine
07. Babe I’m Gonna Leave You intro (Led Zeppelin cover)
08. November Rain
09. Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door
10. Instrumental Jam
11. Paradise City
Source: http://metalassault.com/gig_reviews/2014/04/24/6th-annual-revolver-golden-gods-event-takes-place-at-club-nokia/
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:07 am

Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Johan Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:48 pm

Strange, I listened to the show and I thought that the first couple of songs sounded better with Axl w/ raspy voice, while songs like TIL and Paradise city did not sound particularly good.
Johan
Johan

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 7367

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:39 pm

I can't remember the last time I heard a live version of Paradise City where I thought Axl sang really well. That song needs a lot of rasp and breath and since it usually comes late in the sets it's too hard for Axl.

As for the This I Love at this show, I liked his voice. It gave the song some vulnerability and took away some of the pompousness.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:11 pm

Found this at mygnrforum:

"We got a mini show! 9 songs, and even the confettis didn't fail to appear, no exception! In my opinion, the choice of songs was representative. A special moment for the fans there: during This I Love, Axl lost his ear monitors. He wasn't able to know exactly where he was at. All the fans in the front row started singing to help him. Axl went to Bumblefoot to ask him for help. And Ron pointed at us and told him to follow us. A great team work!"
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by denitza Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:46 am

Soulmonster wrote:Found this at mygnrforum:

"We got a mini show! 9 songs, and even the confettis didn't fail to appear, no exception! In my opinion, the choice of songs was representative. A special moment for the fans there: during This I Love, Axl lost his ear monitors. He wasn't able to know exactly where he was at. All the fans in the front row started singing to help him. Axl went to Bumblefoot to ask him for help. And Ron pointed at us and told him to follow us. A great team work!"

I noticed something like that, as I watched the video :-)
denitza
denitza

Plectra : 4845

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:41 pm

2014.04.23 - Club Nokia, Los Angeles, CA, USA Revolv10
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85695

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:20 pm

Another video of Axl getting the award, with transcript. Also found in the interview/articles section.

Transcript:

Don Jamieson: Alright, metalheads, we still hanging in there, or what? It is my honor to introduce this next guy. He is my comedy idol, and although he plays drums, it wasn't his musical skill that allowed him to sell out Madison Square Garden. He holds the distinction of being the first ever comedian to fill that venue. Ladies and gentlemen, please give it up for the undisputed heavyweight comedy king, Andrew Dice Clay.

Andrew Dice Clay: In my line of work I've been honored to meet a lot of big stars. The truth is, when you get up close, your heroes, it's usually a disappoint. But this next honoree is the real deal. He is an original. Long before he became an icon, he had an appetite for destruction. And all of these years later, he's still hungry. The Beatles started it, and Guns N' Roses brought rock to a peak. Rock and rollers and rollettes, the one, the only, my friend, Axl Rose!

------

Chuck Klosterman: Appetite for Destruction is the best rock record of the 80s.

------

[Unknown person]: It's edgy, edgy sound. It was rock that actually rocked.

------

Steven Tyler: He had that way of talking to the audience and speaking his mind that they could relate to.

------

Lars Ulrich: To a lot of people what was part of the fascination was that Axl Rose was danger personified.

------

Announcer:  Please welcome to the stage, Nicolas Cage.

Nicolas Cage: His voice. His poetry. His composition. His piano playing. His moves. His guts. His originality. There are infinite reasons to look love Axl Rose! When I was prepping for my role in Ghost Rider, I took some cues from Axl's cobra like onstage movement. You remember that one? Axl inspires me. Not just his music. But the purity and the passion which he embodies rock and roll. Trends may come and go, but Axl Rose is always 100% himself. When he first arrived here in LA back in 1982, there were a lot of pretenders on the scene. People who thought denim, leather, big hair made you a rock star, but Axl brought something undeniably real and dangerous to the music. I saw Axl perform live at the Troubadour just before Appetite for Destruction was released. he did Welcome to the Jungle, I was there, it was the first live performance of that and I never forgot it. Generations have come and gone since then, but they're still only one Axl Rose, so it is with great respect, awe and reverence that we give the Golden Gods Lifetime Achievement Award and welcome a true hero, an inspirational force, the legend, the maverick, rock and roll original, Mr. Axl Rose!

Axl: Thank you, thank you very much. It cost me an awful lot to pay him to say all that stuff. Anyway, I want to thank our band, crew, all of our lineups, our lineup right now, I want to thank our sound man and producer Caram, and all of you. Thank you very much.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down