APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1993.09.22 - Unknown source - Interview with Izzy by Osamu Masaui

Go down

1993.09.22 - Unknown source - Interview with Izzy by Osamu Masaui Empty 1993.09.22 - Unknown source - Interview with Izzy by Osamu Masaui

Post by Soulmonster on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:58 am

Transcript:

Q: I guess the the album that came out of a year ago sold very well here, maybe didn't do quite as well back home in the States, do you follow the sales status for each country?

IS: I know here that it's it's almost gold, I don't know what it did in the States. I know it didn't do gold. But I don't keep up on it that much. Only certain times, you know, every six months I call my manager and [] But it did okay, I think.

I know the manager I think was gonna happen so if there's good news you'll hear about it yeah lawsuits inhibit those guys lawsuits just with this band it's very simple and just straightforward to music and and the fans I mean this trip here to Japan the fans were just great just fantastic and I think that has a lot to do with it there's a good vibe amongst the band as well and that's real important I mean that can you know I think that determines you can if you go to see a fan you could you can see if everybody's not getting along or something there's something I don't know if you can pinpoint a minute you have to ban via this game it's uh it's a lot of both I guess it's uh I would say I guess musically probably first well but I think they're equally important personality and the music compatibility is important and it seems to with juju house it's we've got the best of both so it's it seems to work good I understand you know enjoying yourself and things feel very good right now but are very sort of stress causing situations just like lawsuits from years ago with Guns N'Roses you know the Stevie Adler the the original drummer he's suing the band the st. Louis I had a summons to appear in court the day I left to come here you know going through my mail and there's a summons to appear in court in st. Louis you know and it's stuff that I'm kind of like because I was in the band at the time they are I keep getting this kind of stuff but that's that's the only thing that's a pain in the ass so they know kind of made sure no this thing is it's ready that's so far as great no no major obstacles or problems I mean yes you know it's like we all everybody's we've been off for the juju hounds tour stop I think in March into March in the US and everybody's worked on different projects at different tours in the meantime and it was real great for everybody to get together again back here in Japan I needed to do this to work just felt good to see everybody five shows why did you part of the reason was I was I had time off in India I wasn't really doing anything important us working on bikes motorcycles and and thought well maybe it's fun you know they're playing Turkey they played Greece we played Israel I thought maybe it's cool to go see those places I never been and I knew all the music so it wasn't like I had to study or practice my Chinese take a guitar and go over but the main reason was for the year and a half since I left them they had never paid me all the money that way was that I was owed yeah because it was dispute of what's what's what so I told them I said look tell your people call my people and write up some paperwork in you know pay me my money and gladly come over and help you guys out because they were kind of in a position where if they didn't do this shows they would have lost like a lot of money in yeah max'll said he had was big three million dollar house and the mortgage payments from behind as their well okay I said pay for what you guys owe me or uncle doing so sure enough you know papers were signed fasting I got a flame but after doing it as like I backed I could never go back and live like those guys living Tour like they do it and be a part of it at all well I mean a good show is a good show I mean if you it's a good shoe on there's 300 people it's a good show you know you can you can have a good show of 50,000 people you can have a good show and 300 people and you have a bad show it's the same thing if it's bad it's bad and you know it's just you never know you never know what it's gonna be it's always different a level of intensity or whatever but that keeps that keeps it interesting to know it was it's it's pretty thrilling you know to walk out to 50,000 people and hear that many people scream it's I mean it's this it's pretty exciting you know but it's it's exciting as well you know like well these shows we did here this time around is thank you know here the first night we did in Osaka you know I haven't heard an audience since March you know five months off you know I heard motorcycles and you know dogs and all that kind of stuff and he hear these people screaming like all kind of wakes you up it's cool you would imagine that going back and playing the songs you've written a few years ago must have made you aware that maybe you're your junior how stuff is quite a bit different when you change yeah I think the Jews amount of stuff is a little bit simpler a little bit more basic which is really what I like and the the main in the most obvious difference I would say was is the vocal style of the Guns'n'Roses because I could have taken a song like shuffle it all or cutting the rug into a Guns and Roses ban and it would have you know cuz absence of singer and he's got that high screeching voice so it would have sounded you know it would have done different I'm sure he would have wanted to add some keyboards and see a lot more a lot more extra stuff to it whereas the juju house we get you know basic tracks that we do them live and then maybe dove a solo and some backups and if it needs a keyboard there's a shaker that's it you know and it's done so it's much more basic this juju yeah it's more spontaneity I think for weeks we're going in to track the first half of the new album and probably in December or January we've finished the other half you have new yeah well we don't know we didn't we didn't planning these stuff this time yeah the first time we came here we've played all this the same stuff but the record wasn't out so now that the record hadn't been out for a while we kind of wanted to concentrate them you know kind of playing a lot of the stuff we played before hoping you know that people would be a little more familiar with it some of new songs will just kind of go over its you know yeah unless it's uh I mean is it for this I like to play this stuff that people are familiar with some song issues it's not amusing me personally yeah yeah it's so my favorite stuff for some reason I don't know why but that's I guess I like the simplicity of it because you can play the CD or the tape and you can hear the guitar you're gonna hear both guitars you need a piano and you can hear the drums and you can hear the bass and you can hear the vocals everything's so clear and that's that's what turns me on about it a lot of a lot of a lot of bands that are popular like I don't watch I don't keep up so much but usually if I'm looking on MTV or radio back in the US and I can't you know I can't make so much out of it you know I mean I like new stuff like the like Nirvana stuff I love that stuff because it's it's basic and it's primitive and you can you know it's instant but I like that older stuff hmm really like that shaggy song Oh Carolina that's all knock me out when I heard that I'm sick - cool yeah I mean they play it in Indiana on the radio and they've got a new radio station in Indiana that's kind of plays alternative stuff which is great because for the last I mean up until the last year so year and a half they've I mean you get they still repeat the four and Led Zeppelin and Molly Hatchet I mean it just play that stuff continuous sticks and they play and after you know they're gonna say oh god they were playing this stuff in 1980 when I left to move out to California still playing this and I like that music that it was so cool to hear you know some alternative nice and I guess that Nirvana a shaggy what else other than that I haven't really kept up just a bad habit or something I don't know it's the career thing I mean no definitely because I mean it's such a it's such a sort of iffy this sort of is such a questionable existence really to be a musician I mean because I know I mean there's just so many people that play that I mean there's no way that you know they can make a living doing sure there's a lot of people you know California right when guns and roses first started so many bands so many people and you know they disappear each year and they disappear disappear but at the same time I mean when we started that was the only thing that we were gonna do so I mean I guess instead of maybe instead of calling in a Korea it was just that was our life at that time but nowadays it's I don't take it that seriously like that I just look at us like this is you know I'm fortunate because people are interested to a point so you know we can come to Japan and play some shows and it's true that's true that's true that's true I guess yeah I just know I don't take it as serious as I used to it's not a life or death like it used to be because the competition I mean if you up on stage it's like people go uh you know they laugh but if they up when you're racing I mean you usually break yeah a lot of legs hips I mean you know and the guys do a race I mean they're just I mean you know I don't know the camel the the the Pro Circuit back in the States these guys are doing 130 miles an hour then you know this barn part and no I like to watch it in a in a race for fun and erase my buddies and stuff but dirt track oval uh mostly just dirt track we've got a dirt track back in Indiana that we everyday practice on not professional AMA stuff just uh maybe fairground races or local races with people local I mean this summer I I was I was I've got a bike that I've got put together I was I've been practicing the race but you know as the tour got closer to Japan if I get busted up and I'm you know I casters yeah sorry but I still a day before I left I still race not the first time because those guys I mean that's their life that's their life that's all they want to do it be the fastest guys yeah the racing motorcycles is like for you an alternative or escape to do with guns there was it a mistake yeah totally and when I stopped in back in the 89 9 1990 I stopped using drugs and I stopped drinking and suddenly you've got all this energy like you know what do you do with it I from all my since I was a really young kid you know I had a minibike and they you know I teach a few years I get something bigger and bigger and it was something that I forgotten about during the Guns'n'Roses days and just you know so much indulgence you know that'll rock and roll lifestyle it's you drink enemies and once that stopped I was like you know some bicycles you know motorcycles and uh yeah because when I was out in California I'm go out in the desert and rides you spend a day on a motorcycle in the desert you come back and you just feel good and calm relaxed great escape for me I save my life it's gonna part two of the question you're on you're tired of writing songs you're talking second about how you use things just sort of mattress favorite evasive right now he was wondering though for example in billion roses there there seemed to be this idea that you guys were using a hardship now give a person in dire straits know at that time a lot of the stuff that was written or at least when I was in the band it was well the stuff that I wrote some of that stuff was actually older off the illusion stuffers probably a few years older than the actual illusion records and it was just a time when that's how I felt I suppose as far as Axl goes I mean God knows what goes on in his little mind what you know I I can't speak for him but for myself that stuff was a lot of that was older material and with the juju Harold's it's it's definitely a different bond it's it's more positive I think a different outlook I suppose a little bit different stuff would have inspired you back then I think aggravation was a big inspiration for cousin Rosie yeah aggravation of of being this band in LA that was not popular at all very disliked in the beginning huge success and suddenly everyone like them was sort of aggravate aggravation confusion combined with indulgence and just stupidity I guess I don't know just all the stuff thrown in the one good Catalan and that's some of the music that came so negative miss feeding on your negativity a lot of negativity yeah sort of fed on itself yeah you don't have one of the day I left that BAM you know I was driving out of California man I got to a state line I just felt like this big weight came off my back man I was like wow I didn't know what the hell I was gonna do but I just felt this big relief and it was a lot of that you know let it behind button let it go so now is that colliding into music that was like fueled more by it by joy or by I don't know what it's uh it's I don't know it could be anything really you can anything to pin down it's just something that happens once in a while you just be not thinking about music but all sudden you start something starts happening picking up something in your head and you know gravitate towards good time or a drum kit or something harmonica I may be and I'm gonna try to capture that idea on just tape recorder push record kind of built from that I think yeah it's something that monsters are trying to get out yeah exactly yeah it's more of flowing flowing thing instead of so having work begin with accident did you find the change no he was it was more aggravated when I went into their shows a than he was when I got the bass just always yeah so his tenants aggravated flustered just a second that's his nature one day he'll internally combusts yeah just people that spinal tap will find a hotel room actual time for the show time for the show there was a joke in LA once on the radio is what pisses Axl Rose off more than anything in the world and the answer was a Guns N'Roses show yeah he's a strange burger he's got a lot of talent but I gotta say that part I mean he does this misdirected mr. obviously it would never have yeah oh god it's amazing I mean you know I went to you know we went to Istanbul Turkey you know you look on the map it's quite a ways and anything at all you know what what would the culture down there what's with the people down there what would Guns'n'Roses how would they appeal to you know people down there I mean that's was my first question when they call me there do this shows I thought what would be interesting to see when I went down there there was you know thirty forty thousand people and they were right there you don't think with the band it was it's amazing it really is obviously they're getting through something so house it must be the energy revived or something who knows that's marketing some fans would be tempted to liken you and Axl to a Keith Richards a relationship know each other in extra like I said between them I guess the average Guns N'Roses feel myself we the same of you international I don't know him very well it seems these days I don't I thought I did you know a long time ago at uh yeah I when I did the tour and he's uh I don't know I maybe he's just a we're two different points in our lives you know mind I've taken a different accent and he did yeah yeah he's I think the things that are important to him I'm important to me it's probably a lot to do with different values you know just a set list well it's no well it's a nother thing I could say it was like if there's there's never any serious debating or analyzing anything in this band when it comes to songs or parts it's always real quick and if it doesn't work it's it instantly switches to something so it's sort of how would you describe that it's sort of when you analyze it I guess you would miss the point well we have no Moffat oh this is just more freestyle I guess work sir yeah yeah it's pretty quick in this there's not much we don't spend any time you know thinking about it all we just yeah that's it you never have been gripped by the anxiety of the prospect of life being completely unable to sell that this it was the in the early GNR days everybody in the band was very desperate it was hard to work we knew at one point there was a point where we reached a popularity in LA where we thought you know we figured well if we get a record deal then you know we're set where everything would be great you know we're gonna leave us a tour rest of the world and we got a record deal and I think was friendly advanced they gave us an advance and it was spending like four weeks five weeks and everybody's going how much money you got left I got hundred fifty bucks you know you know Stevie's gone and suddenly were going what the did we do you know and when you hadn't even cut a record we hadn't even gone into the studio to do the album and and then when Allan living came in to manage the band he put everybody on salary of a hundred bucks a week and at that point everybody started feeling I know every at least myself it felt like well now we have at least we know we're gonna have a hundred bucks a week for the next year while we do the record and find a producer on all of that stuff and I'd say from that point on there was never any anxiety of if we were going to be able to make a living yeah funny enough though I mean once the band did make it big and everybody made a lot of money suddenly there was you know a lot of people coming out of you know woodwork and saying and you know countless lawsuits and stuff and people claiming that they had written this and written that and you're going what's going on here and you realize it's like when something happens that big and there's that much money involved there's also these other factors that surround it and that that was you know that can be kind of disturbing as well and then now I just look at it all as like I don't know I mean you know I've had nothing I've gone full circle from having nothing to have it you know Alice in a car a bunch of motorcycles you know it's well there's anything to work tonight if this is not crazy no it's yeah I mean you know I mean we toured on the last the last tour I mean we toured for six months but I mean you know touring is very expensive and you know we didn't make any money lose money but you figured you'd do a record do some tour do another record and just continue about you now I mean you know you're very relaxing enjoying yourself you think you've returned to the original game or do you think that you've become this way that's result of having popular hardships I think I just sort of become this way because as a kid I was always like angst all the time boys moving around and but you know got through a lot of changes a lot of different a lot of different changes I guess from not knowing anything about you know what it was all about but just wanting to play just wanting to play me as it can be able to travel that was doing real reason I ever thought it would be great you know you think how great if you can you know form a band which is like a small gang or something a group of friends club or something and then be able to take you know the club all over and travel that was the main thing that I appealed to me I thought would be great if that could happen in it that's something else but I mean you know it's never I guess like you imagined it I've got no complaints I thank you
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Stage manager

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 60635

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum