APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2002.08.26 - London Arena, London, England

2 posters

Go down

2002.08.26 - London Arena, London, England Empty 2002.08.26 - London Arena, London, England

Post by Soulmonster Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:04 am

Date:
August 26, 2002.

Venue:
London Arena.

Setlist:
01. Welcome to the Jungle
02. It's So Easy
03. Mr. Brownstone
04. Live and Let Die
05. Think About You
06. You Could Be Mine
07. Sweet Child O'Mine
08. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
09. Out Ta Get Me
10. Chinese Democracy
11. Madagascar
12. Rhiad and the Bedouins
13. November Rain
14. Street of Dreams
15. Rocket Queen
16. Patience
17. My Michelle
18. Nightrain
19. Paradise City

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Richard Fortus (rhythm guitarist), Buckethead (lead guitarist), Robin Finck (lead guitarist), Tommy Stinson (bass), Dizzy Reed (keyboards), Chris Pitman (keyboards) and Brain (drums).

2002.08.26 - London Arena, London, England Rightarrow Next concert: 2002.08.29.
2002.08.26 - London Arena, London, England Leftarrow Previous concert: 2002.08.24.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76572

Back to top Go down

2002.08.26 - London Arena, London, England Empty Re: 2002.08.26 - London Arena, London, England

Post by Blackstar Thu May 07, 2020 3:18 am

How you doin? I'm doin' pretty good, thanks for asking. It's good to be here in lively old England. See you didn't even think I knew where I was! I want to... I wanna say that I learned that I'm as big as a house! So I think I'm owed some rent money! I think that there’s a little pussy-ass writer over at NME that owes me some rent money... for livin' inside my ass! Just playin' around. This is 'Live And Let Die.
[Onstage at London Arena, London, England, August 26, 2002]
Now, there's been some concern that if we play 5 or 6 new songs, then there can't be that many more on the album. Au contraire, mon frère! We're just playin' the songs we're not considering putting out as singles or anything. So you'll get 18 songs and about 10 extra tracks. And when that - when the record company feels that has run [its] course, then you'll get it all over again. And by that time, I should be done with the third album! So we'll see if all goes well, boys and girls! And if Uncle Axl proves not to be an asshole - we'll have to see, the jury's still out... [Talking to Tommy:] Wait, was that a rant? Does that qualify as a rant or was that just nonsense? It was under 5? OK, it's - it doesn't qualify, wasn't long enough!
[Onstage at London Arena, London, England, August 26, 2002]

Last edited by Blackstar on Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 86383

Back to top Go down

2002.08.26 - London Arena, London, England Empty Re: 2002.08.26 - London Arena, London, England

Post by Blackstar Thu May 07, 2020 11:58 pm

Pre show article in NME, July 16, 2002:
ROSES RETURN!
The rumoured show at London Arena is go...

GUNS ‘N ROSES are to play a LONDON show next month.

The group, whose new album ‘Chinese Democracy’ is due in September have confirmed rumours reported on NME.COM and will play the London Arena on August 26. Tickets are priced £27.50, and go on sale shortly.

The rumour that they would play in London has been circulating since it was announced they would headline the Leeds leg of the Reading/Leeds Carling Weekender on August 23.

The band had been due to play Docklands Arena twice last year, but scrapped the shows, blaming a problem with guitarist Buckethead and also because Axl Rose was said to be finishing up ‘Chinese Democracy’.
https://www.nme.com/news/music/guns-n-roses-339-1369831

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue May 12, 2020 6:37 pm

Axl wanted Weezer (who had played at the festivals in Japan and Leeds where GN'R had also played) to open for GN'R at this show. NME, August 22, 2002:
WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE, WEEZER!

WEEZER are a last minute addition to GUNS N' ROSES' LONDON show next week - at the special request of AXL ROSE.
Guns N' Roses are to follow their headline appearance at the Carling Weekend in Leeds tomorrow (August 23) with their own show at the London Docklands Arena (26).

Weezer have just been confirmed as the opening band.

For tickets, call the NME Ticketline on 0870 1 663 663, or click here.
https://web.archive.org/web/20020828152336/http://www.nme.com/news/102729.htm
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue May 12, 2020 6:38 pm

Preview in the Guardian, August 24, 2002

2002.08.26 - London Arena, London, England 2002_036

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Mon May 18, 2020 12:31 pm

Review in NME, August 27, 2002:
GUNS N’ ROSES KNOW THEIR NME!
NME is the subject of two onstage comments from Axl Rose at the band's first show in the UK capital for ten years...

GUNS N’ ROSES played their first show in LONDON since 1992 at the DOCKLANDS ARENA last night (August 26) — and NME was the subject of two onstage comments from AXL ROSE!

Early in the set, which ran to two hours, Rose commented on the NME.COM review of the band’s performance at the Leeds leg of the Carling Weekend Festival, which stated that he looked “as big as a house”. Said Axl: “If I’m as big as a house, maybe I should start charging rent. Some pussy ass writer at NME owes me rent — for living in my ass!”

However, Rose later took a time out to thank NME for its glowing coverage of Guns ‘N Roses’s comeback gig in Hong Kong on August 14. “That was nice,” he remarked.

Rose also provided details on the band’s long-delayed studio album, ‘Chinese Democracy’, promising that it would include 18 tracks, with “10 extra tracks “on top of that”. He added: “Just because we’ve only played five or six new songs, people think there mustn’t be any other songs on the album. Au contraire, mon frère!”

He went on to vow that once the album had run its course, the band would “do it all over again”, and maybe then think about a more albums — “as long as Uncle Axl doesn’t act the asshole!”

Four new songs featured in the band’s stunning 19-song set, including ‘Chinese Democracy’, ‘Madagascar’ and ‘The Blues’. The new songs were rapturously received by the capacity crowd of 12,000, as were Guns N’ Roses classics such as ‘Welcome To The Jungle’‘, ‘Sweet Child O’ Mine’, ‘November Rain’ and ‘Paradise City’.

With no further live dates scheduled, Guns ‘N Roses will now return to the studio to complete work on ‘Chinese Democracy’.
https://www.nme.com/news/music/guns-n-roses-329-1380916
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Mon May 18, 2020 12:37 pm

Review in The Observer, September 1st, 2002:

2002.08.26 - London Arena, London, England 2002_037
Axl finds a change of gear

New band, new haircut and sound, same old destructive anger: the notorious singer is on to a winner

Burhan Wazir

Guns N’Roses
London Arena, E14

MORE THAN 10 years ago, W. Axl Rose and his group took to the stage in his home state of Indiana for the third gig of a tour that, by its close two years later, would make Guns N’Roses the biggest band in the world. That 1991 gig came after George Bush Snr had launched Operation Desert Storm against Saddam Hussein. ‘So I don’t know nothing about Iraq,’ sniffed Rose from the stage at the Deer Creek Music Centre, ‘but I know what the fuck’s going on out there and this band’s one of the only things these kids got.’

After the tour, Rose, by then a front-page tabloid rock star in the Jim Morrison mould, disappeared from view. There have been few sightings since. These days, he lives in a secluded mountain-top residence high above the Malibu coastline. He has spent nearly six years working on a new record, Chinese Democracy, that remains unreleased. Finally, last year, Rose emerged for a handful of low-key live dates. ‘I have traversed a treacherous sea of horrors to be with you here tonight,’ he told one audience.

Ten years on, however, against the backdrop of another possible war in the Gulf, and another Bush, Rose has finally gone public with a reconfigured Guns N’Roses. The original group - none of the other founding members are present in the current line-up - recorded four albums. First up was 1987’s debut, Appetite For Destruction, a vortex of sincere anger that introduced Rose and his band as a musical revolution against the Top Forty. The record produced a glut of hit singles, sold 15 million copies and continues to sell around 9,000 a week. Two followups, Use Your Illusions, Vol. I and II, were released on the same day in 1991. In the UK, record stores remained open past midnight for the first time to satisfy consumer demands.

The decade-long absence, however, has stripped Rose of his relevance. In his self-imposed exile, he has been out-manoeuvred by grunge and American punk rock. And like his contemporaries from the late Eighties, the most popular image of Rose is that of an insect-thin, volatile frontman, dressed in jeans, a T-shirt and a red bandanna: he was a white male backlash against multicultural America.

Onstage at the London Arena, Rose looks surprisingly unchanged. His voice still alternates between a high-pitched siren, like a toddler in distress, and a nasal mumble. His flame-red hair, previously lank, is now braided neatly into dreadlocks underneath the bandanna.

And while Rose might have packed on a few pounds, his stage movements have their usual coiled fluidity. His signature sprints to the sides of the stage remain intact. The costume changes, however, have disappeared. Rose no longer wears kilts or T-shirts with the word ‘Martyr’ inscribed across them -at London Arena, he wore a long sweat-top and black trousers.

In the absence of a new record, Rose and his fledgling group play material primarily culled from Appetite For Destruction. The new line-up - featuring three guitarists and a bassist - gives GN’R a contemporary sound. The subtly rearranged ‘Rocket Queen' and ‘Mr Brownstone’ sound like Nine Inch Nails-inspired, bass-heavy punk rock. Likewise, the newer material, particularly ‘Rhiad and the Bedouins’, adopts dance rhythms, samples and hip-hop beats.

The hiatus, furthermore, seems to have won him a new generation of curious fans. Here, late-twentysome-thing men and women enthusiastically rubbed shoulders with nu-metal teenagers. The show occasionally lapsed into the kind of stadium excesses Rose was once famed for, however - including overlong guitar solos. If Rose can curb his band’s plethoric behaviour, he should have few problems re-establishing his relevance.

And let’s face it, a re-energised Rose, especially on this form, would help the state of music. Rose - who was defined by his anger, his obsession and his self-destructive tendencies - has undeniable appeal. And his teen anthems, like all great teen anthems, remain ageless. ‘They’re out to get me,’ he sang last Monday night. ‘They won’t catch me.’

Rock music has undoubtedly changed during GN’R’s absence. But Rose shouldn’t be miscast as a deluded recluse: he is a realist. The music industry has gone full circle, with young consumers once again tired of mass-produced pop. This time around, Rose might not yet be offering anything more substantial than a raised middle finger, but his new music could engender a reaction. Ten years ago, Rose gave rock music an edge of pure, authentic anger. In 2002, the contemporary charts again need a piece of his mind.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Mon May 18, 2020 12:38 pm

Recap of the reviews for both shows in England; The Guardian, September 7, 2002:
2002.08.26 - London Arena, London, England 2002_035
Guns N' Roses live

Minus guitarist Slash, Axl Rose brought his metal anthems to England for the first time in a decade. The NME revelled in the “sheer lunatic glory” of Guns N' Roses as they played the Leeds Carling Weekend and at London Arena. Rose's best songs, “like all great teen anthems, remain ageless”, reckoned the Observer.

The future is rosy, added the Times. “Guns-style hard rock acts such as Limp Bizkit dominate the teen market... Rose could well reclaim his vacant throne as the biggest brat on the block... This belated comeback was more fun than it had any right to be.”

Matthew Bell
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down