APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1993.05.29 - National Bowl, Milton Keynes, England

3 posters

Go down

1993.05.29 - National Bowl, Milton Keynes, England Empty 1993.05.29 - National Bowl, Milton Keynes, England

Post by Soulmonster Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:33 am

Date:
May 29, 1993.

Venue:
National Bowl.

Setlist:
01. Nightrain
02. Mr. Brownstone
03. Live and Let Die
04. Welcome to the Jungle
05. Attitude
06. It's So Easy
07. Double Talkin' Jive
08. You Ain't the First
09. You're Crazy
10. Used to Love Her
11. Patience
12. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
13. November Rain
14. Dead Horse
15. You Could Be Mine
16. Sweet Child O'Mine
17. Paradise City

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Izzy Stradlin (rhythm guitarist), Slash (lead guitarist), Duff McKagan (bass), Dizzy Reed (keyboards) and Matt Sorum (drums).

Quotes:
Part of the reason [for doing these five shows] was that I had time off in Indiana, I wasn't really doing anything important, just working on bikes, motorcycles, and, yeah, "maybe it's fun". They played Turkey, they played Greece, they played Israel, so maybe it's cool to go see those places since I've never been there. And I knew all the music so it wasn't like I had to study or practise much, just take a guitar and go over. But the main reason was that for a year and a half since I left them they had never paid me all the money that I was owed, because there was a dispute about what was. So I told them, "look, tell your people to call my people and write up some paperwork and pay me my fucking money, and I'll gladly come over and help you guys out". Because they were kinda in a position where they didn't do these shows they would have lost, like, a lot of money. [Interview with Izzy in Japan, September 22, 1993]

1993.05.29 - National Bowl, Milton Keynes, England Rightarrow Next concert: 1993.05.30.
1993.05.29 - National Bowl, Milton Keynes, England Leftarrow Previous concert: 1993.05.26.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76232

Back to top Go down

1993.05.29 - National Bowl, Milton Keynes, England Empty Re: 1993.05.29 - National Bowl, Milton Keynes, England

Post by Blackstar Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:26 pm

Review in The Guardian, May 31, 1993:

1993.05.29 - National Bowl, Milton Keynes, England 1993_126
Chopper rock

Guns N’ Roses, high on attitude, bring their macho moves to Milton Keynes

Caroline Sullivan

ASKED her favourite member of Guns N’ Roses, nine-year-old Joanna Holland from Northampton didn't hesitate. “Axl, because my mum says he sticks a cucumber down his shorts”. Then a song started with a terrible crash, and she screamed its first words — “Hey, fuckerrrr!" — and twisted her face into a Barbie Doll version of the Axl sneer.

Her hard-living, hard-loving, liver-destroying hero was an ant-figure on the distant stage at the National Bowl in Milton Keynes, his cucumber region covered by a baggy red T-shirt. Magnified to the size of an airship on three video screens, he cut a splendid dash: the rain-soaked wind whipped his hair out behind him and the stage lights (900 of 'em, according to the tour press release) sharpened the angles of his generic Midwestern features. As he sang a loud pub-rock song, he epitomised the simultaneous grandeur and idiocy of heavy metal.

What is surprising about Guns N' Roses is how spectacular they really are. From their separate helicopter arrivals to their stage, so large that it takes three days to construct, they embody a rock lifestyle that barely exists now outside This Is Spinal Tap. Even their names are purpose-built: W. Axl Rose, Slash, Izzy, Stradlin (briefly back in place of the ailing Gilby Clarke), Duff McKagan, Dizzy Reed and Matt Sorum. Axl summarised the whole thing in a song introduction: “This is called Attitood”.

The music is almost the least of it. The songs are 12-bar blues, mostly, screeched by Axl in one of the least mellifluous voices in hard rock. The most interesting were a jolly boogie-woogie bounce-along called I Used To Love Her and a sombre go at John Lennon's Imagine. During Knocking On Heaven's Door, the audience sang the chorus, pronouncing the last word, Axl-fashion, “Doe-woe-woe”. The 60,000 or so fans in a sell-out crowd were divided into males and vixens, the latter of the big-haired, small mini-skirted, variety. Tattoos were obligatory for both sexes.

The truly impressive thing was, as Rose said, the attitood, without which GN'R would be six nondescript hairies with some lumpenly macho tunes and cucumbers in their shorts.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85695

Kittycat84 likes this post

Back to top Go down

1993.05.29 - National Bowl, Milton Keynes, England Empty Re: 1993.05.29 - National Bowl, Milton Keynes, England

Post by Kittycat84 Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:50 pm

I'm so glad I found this, I'd been telling my family about this since I'm the girl in the report. Remember this day like it was yesterday, was pure luck I ended up on the press stand.
Kittycat84
Kittycat84

Plectra : 1124

Blackstar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:19 pm

Kittycat84 wrote:I'm so glad I found this, I'd been telling my family about this since I'm the girl in the report. Remember this day like it was yesterday, was pure luck I ended up on the press stand.
Really? That's amazing.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85695

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down