APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1993.04.03 - ARCO Arena, Sacramento, USA

3 posters

Go down

1993.04.03 - ARCO Arena, Sacramento, USA Empty 1993.04.03 - ARCO Arena, Sacramento, USA

Post by Soulmonster Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:36 pm

Date:
April 3, 1993.

Venue:
ARCO Arena.

Setlist:
01. Welcome to the Jungle
02. Mr. Brownstone
03. The Garden
04. Live and Let Die
05. Nice Boys
06. Attitude
07. Double Talkin' Jive
08. You Ain't the First
09. You're Crazy
10. Used to Love Her
11. Patience
12. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
13. November Rain

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Gilby Clarke (rhythm guitarist), Slash (lead guitarist), Duff McKagan (bass), Dizzy Reed (keyboards) and Matt Sorum (drums).

Notes:
The shows was stopped early because Duff was hit by a bottle.

1993.04.03 - ARCO Arena, Sacramento, USA Rightarrow Next concert: 1993.04.04.
1993.04.03 - ARCO Arena, Sacramento, USA Leftarrow Previous concert: 1993.04.01.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76233

Back to top Go down

1993.04.03 - ARCO Arena, Sacramento, USA Empty Re: 1993.04.03 - ARCO Arena, Sacramento, USA

Post by Blackstar Sun May 19, 2019 9:32 pm

So we’re kinda like around the Bay Area, right? Good. So it’s kinda like we’re here on somebody else’s turf in a way. Some people we used to like to think that we were homeboys or something. I wanna talk about – maybe your good friends, I don’t know – Metallica for a minute. Let me tell you a couple of things about Metallica. First off, they do a lot of bitching for a band that got paid about 20 to 30% more than fucking what they deserved at a show, because they didn’t bring that much.
“Ooh, Axl’s talking now, well, listen to that, who does he think he is?” I’ll tell you who I think I am. I thought I was friends with these people. I don’t know how long they were on the road, but there was nobody in their crew that ever got a bonus or paid anything extra for working their fucking ass off and slaving for that band. I pretty much watched a lot of people being treated like shit, and it wasn’t very enjoyable.
I watched the man named James prove that - you know, since I’m supposed to be the “rock racist,” cuz I used a word once? I watched the man show me that he was a motherfucking racist. He got a real big problem with Ice-T and any black man, actually. “Oh, rap is really terrible. Black men [?]” I watched him be really shitty at black people who worked with us. That wasn’t very enjoyable.  
I watched him diss on other people, like Sebastian and shit, people that, like, love this fucking band. They love Metallica. They would, like, fucking do anything for that band.  But Metallica don’t give a shit. Lars don’t give a shit. The motherfucker calls me at 4:00 in the morning trying to kiss my ass and stuff. And it’s like, but I can’t trust the little fucker. They’re gonna take it and figure how they’ll go make some more money. Like the time that we sat around writing a video for Don’t Cry, and we talked about being under water and showing all these things, and then Lars would [?] a video. And the cool thing about it is, he cocked to it, yeah, “I was ripping you guys off.”
I’m gonna dedicate this to these people who like to run a fucking little video for people saying, “Fuck you, this ain’t the Guns N’ Roses tour. This is Metallica.” Who say things like, “Oh, it was just a joke because we are friends.” You ain’t no fucking friend of mine, you fucking stupid little [?] cocksucker. This is for you, Lars, and you, James. This is called Double Talkin’ Jive motherfucker!
[Onstage at Arco Arena, CA, USA,April 3, 1993]

Last edited by Blackstar on Tue May 21, 2019 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85696

Back to top Go down

1993.04.03 - ARCO Arena, Sacramento, USA Empty Re: 1993.04.03 - ARCO Arena, Sacramento, USA

Post by Blackstar Sun May 19, 2019 11:08 pm

MTV News report, April 11, 1993:

Transcript:
Tabitha Soren: Guns N’ Roses shut down its show at the Arco Arena in Sacramento, California last Saturday night 90 minutes into its set, after bassist Duff McKagan was knocked unconscious by a water-filled plastic bottle thrown from the audience. The set had begun with a warning from Axl Rose that the group would stop playing if anyone threw a bottle at the stage. McKagan eventually turned out to be okay.
Before the show ended though, Rose got in a few verbal licks at GN’R’s one-time tour mates Metallica, especially lead singer James Hetfield, who Rose called a racist. GN’R off sources say they surmise Axl is still angry that Hetfield wasn’t big on the idea of having Ice T and Body Count open last year’s GN’R/Metallica tour. Rose, who dedicated the song “Double Talkin’ Jive” to Metallica, is also said to be upset by Hetfield’s comments in the current issue of Rolling Stone. In the article Hetfield says that Guns N’ Roses wasn’t so much a band, but a guy and some other guys. Hetfield also criticized what he called Axl and his attitude, and the way Axl stalked off an ill-fated show in Montreal, allegedly setting off a riot among disgruntled fans. GN’R sources indicate that the bad blood may have started when Axl saw Metallica’s “A Year and a Half in the Life of” home video, where Hetfield makes fun of Axl’s personal tour rider.

[Cut to clip from “A Year and a Half in the Life of Metallica” home video]

Hetfield: Axl Pose dressing-room requirements - absolutely no substitutions. One cup of cubed ham. Not [beep], you know, it’s gotta be cubed [beep] right, so it can get down his little neck. (Laughter) One rib-eye steak dinner, [?] to look like a [beep] ‘vegemetarian.’  One gourmet cheese tray. Pepperoni pizza – fresh.” I think that’s for throwing around. Cans of assorted Pringles chips. You know, the greasy shit that he uses to [?] his hair back. Bee honey, that makes you (does screechy voice) sing like that.

[Cut back to the news report]

Tabitha Soren: Metallica’s management told MTV News that the group was on its way from Australia to Indonesia and was unreachable to respond to Rose’s taunts, but added, “If James has something to say to Axl, he wouldn’t want to say it through the press. He’ll say it to his face.”

Last edited by Blackstar on Tue May 21, 2019 12:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun May 19, 2019 11:19 pm

The interview Hetfield did with Rolling Stone (April 13, 1993 - apparently the issue was released a few days earlier):

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/dont-tread-on-me-metallicas-james-hetfield-82055/

[...]
There wasn’t much that was normal about your summer tour with Guns n’ Roses last year. In fact, in your nightly opening video, there’s a shot of Kirk Hammett mooning the camera and saying, “That’s what I think of the Guns n’ Roses tour.” What did you think of it?

That’s Kirk’s way of saying something . . . without saying something. Actually, he should have wiped his ass in that video [laughs]. It’s not too pleasant to look at every night.

Did I enjoy the tour? [Long pause] It was different. It was a good idea. We really had no idea what was going to come with it. They’re a different type of band – and I use the word band loosely. It’s a guy and some other guys. We were out to show people that there was something a little more progressive and hardcore than Guns n’ Roses. And to go about it our way. But it was hard going on, dealing with Axl and his attitude. It’s not something we’d want to do again.

There is one scene from that tour in the recent Metallica home video in which you are reading aloud passages from the Guns n’ Roses tour rider – in a rather sarcastic voice.

Yeah, Metallica humor. It didn’t really matter what the hell was on it. Just the fact that Axl had his own rider was funny. It’s hard to grasp. When we saw he had his own dressing room, I just didn’t understand that.

The show in Montreal was a disaster. You ended up in the hospital, burned by one of your own fire effects, and the audience rioted when Guns n’ Roses cut their set short. How did you end up in flames?

There was a new pyro cue in the set, and our pyro guy said, “This cue is going to happen out on the wings.” But what he didn’t say was “in addition to what usually goes on in this other spot.” And I found out that there was the old stuff, too. I was playing guitar – and then all of a sudden I was not playing guitar anymore. It was during “Fade to Black.”

How appropriate.

“Hand to Black” is more like it. That was the joke: What’s the first line to “Fade to Black”? “Fuckin’ hell! Aaaaargh!”

It was a string of bad luck, basically. Axl had lost his voice before, so he had some time off. I went down to Mexico, had a few too many tequila poppers, got into a fight in some bar and had a bottle cracked over my head. I still had wounds from that. So when Axl’s voice got better, we came back on the tour, and Montreal was the first date back. Then this shit happened.

When did you find out about the riot that occurred later that night?

I was at the hospital. They drugged me up. So I had one of the guys who works for us go and get my boom-box. I was tuning through the stations, and all of a sudden I heard, “James Hetfield got burned, and there’s a riot going on. . . .” I went, “What the hell?”

Do you think Axl Rose should have gone on with the show, no matter what, in light of what happened to you?

I’m a singer. I know how it is. If your voice is in bad shape but you’ve got shit to do, you’re not in the mood. He was pissed off at the monitors or whatever. For some reason, he didn’t get enough volume, strained his voice, and it wasn’t working for him. He threw a fit, and that was that. I was so disappointed in him. Because he could have won so many people over by continuing the show. And he went the exact opposite way and made things ten times worse and jeopardized people’s lives. There was a lot of unnecessary violence because of his attitude. He could have turned it into a great evening.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:05 pm

Review in the Sacramento Bee, April 5, 1993:
GUNS N' ROSES GETS A JARRING RECEPTION

David Barton
Bee Pop Music Critic

Hard rock group Guns N' Roses works in an atmosphere in which it feels compelled to precede its set with a warning: If anyone throws a bottle at the stage, the band will quit playing. Early Sunday morning during the band's sold-out show at Arco Arena, someone did just that, and the band made good on its threat.

Ninety minutes into a set that started at 11 p.m. Saturday, just as the band had finished playing the ballad "November Rain," lead singer W. Axl Rose returned to the spotlight to inform the crowd that someone had hit bassist Duff McKagan with a bottle (filled with urine, he said) - the show was over.

The incident ruined the evening for 16,000 fans, leaving a number of the band's biggest hits ("Paradise City," "Sweet Child O' Mine," "Don't Cry") unplayed. But as the pre-show warning indicated, it wasn't entirely unexpected. Moreover, it seemed an appropriate conclusion to a show by a band known for its explosive expressions of anger.

And Rose's parting advice - "If you find the a-----, kill him" - was entirely in keeping with the band's anarchistic style.

Guns N' Roses revels in its anger. Rose, whose early history as an abused child and street hustler in Hollywood has become part of the band's mythology, sings with venom in his shrill voice and fury in his riveting eyes. The anger is relentless, whether in the "humorous" take on relationships in "Used To Love Her" ("but I had to kill her") or in "Double-Talkin' Jive," which he dedicated to two members of Metallica, the group with which Guns N' Roses undertook the largest stadium tour of last year.

The latter dedication came after a long, poisonous rant, in which Rose, wearing a Charles Manson T-shirt, called Metallica's James Hetfield a racist and went on at great length about the wrongs the group had done Guns N' Roses, noting that he said these things in Sacramento because he knew it would get back to the Bay Area-based quartet.

The audience, many of whom are fans of both groups, didn't want to hear Rose's angry diatribe, and some even booed, one yelling, "Shut up and play!"

(A small group of Guns followers, miffed at Rose's slams at Metallica, gathered at Arco Sunday with signs such as "You lost all your fans in Sac, so don't ever come back.")

When Guns did get back to playing, the results were mixed. The group didn't get where it is - the biggest American rock band of the last five years without delivering, and when they had a good song, they nailed it.

The opening song, their first and definitive hit "Welcome to the Jungle," showed most of what is appealing about Guns N' Roses. Driven by a funky hard rock groove that owes much to classic Aerosmith, the song is heated and dramatic, spiked with sharp hooks. The audience exploded.

But other songs that followed weren't as interesting, though they certainly didn't lack energy. The cover of Paul McCartney's grandiose "Live and Let Die" has become a concert showpiece for the group, while covers of classic punk hits "Nice Boys (Don't Rock and Roll)" by Rose Tattoo and "Attitude" by the Misfits (sung by McKagan) were there more for the message than the music.

Those songs, like many others, featured Rose's sirenlike voice - police siren, that is - which wears thin very quickly. He sounded better on the ballads "Patience" and Bob Dylan's "Knockin' on Heaven's Door," in which he dropped the falsetto for a pleasant baritone.

Those ballads were highlights of a semi-acoustic set played at the front of the stage on a big overstuffed sofa, a set that also featured the delivery of beers to the band by a handful of "waitresses" - all of them topless - to which Rose responded with snotty mock-horror: "That's disgusting, demeaning and sexist!"
Despite that and other unenlightened characteristics, Rose is a riveting performer, spinning and stomping around the stage in an athletic performance matched only by the likes of Bruce Springsteen, Mick Jagger and Aerosmith's Steven Tyler, but with a vicious intensity.

Guitarist Slash, who plays Keith Richards to Rose's Jagger, is his generation's "elegantly wasted" guitar god. But while he has the swagger down, as well as the mass of hair from which only a cigarette protrudes, Slash is a remarkably mediocre guitarist whose leads meander, and much of the time he sounded merely sloppy.

The musical strength of the band is drummer Matt Sorum, who came to the band in 1990, to replace drug casualty Steven Adler. Sorum looks old enough to be the other band members' father, but he drove the band hard through the show, never overplaying, and always there with an appropriate touch.

But the music seems purely secondary for Guns N' Roses. "Attitude" is the thing, and Rose and company have a bad one, which they no doubt consider a good thing. They think that flouting the rules of civil behavior is real rock 'n' roll - as long as they get to be the ones who break the rules.

When it came back at them Saturday night, they seemed nonplussed. When Slash returned to the stage a full 10 minutes after Rose had left and asked the audience to go home quietly - which, to Sacramento's credit, it did - he seemed puzzled.

"This sort of thing happens to us all the time," he said, clearly missing the apparent connection between the group's rebellion for sale and the flying bottle.

Welcome to the jungle, boys.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by FRANSAD Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:06 am

Here's a better video from Axl's rant
FRANSAD
FRANSAD

Plectra : 1934

Soulmonster and Blackstar like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down