APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1991.07.08 - Starplex Amphitheatre, Dallas, USA

3 posters

Go down

1991.07.08 - Starplex Amphitheatre, Dallas, USA Empty 1991.07.08 - Starplex Amphitheatre, Dallas, USA

Post by Soulmonster Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:06 am

Date:
July 8, 1991.

Venue:
Starplex Amphitheatre.

Setlist:
01. Perfect Crime
02. Mr. Brownstone
03. Welcome To The Jungle
04. Bad Obsession
05. Live And Let Die
06. Dust N' Bones
07. November Rain
08. Civil War
09. Patience
10. You Could Be Mine
Godfather Theme
11. Sweet Child O' Mine
12. 14 Years
13. Double Talkin' Jive
14. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
15. Paradise City

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Izzy Stradlin (rhythm guitarist), Slash (lead guitarist), Duff McKagan (bass), Dizzy Reed (keyboards) and Matt Sorum (drums).

1991.07.08 - Starplex Amphitheatre, Dallas, USA Rightarrow Next concert: 1991.07.09.
1991.07.08 - Starplex Amphitheatre, Dallas, USA Leftarrow Previous concert: 1991.07.02.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76232

Back to top Go down

1991.07.08 - Starplex Amphitheatre, Dallas, USA Empty Re: 1991.07.08 - Starplex Amphitheatre, Dallas, USA

Post by Soulmonster Tue May 06, 2014 2:19 pm

Review from The Pittsburgh Press, July 9, 1991:

1991.07.08 - Starplex Amphitheatre, Dallas, USA Utennavn-22
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

1991.07.08 - Starplex Amphitheatre, Dallas, USA Empty Re: 1991.07.08 - Starplex Amphitheatre, Dallas, USA

Post by Blackstar Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:14 pm

Associated Press, July 10, 1991:

GUNS' TEXAS SHOW QUIET

Dallas police had riot gear ready for the heavy-metal band Guns N' Roses' first show since fans rampaged at a Missouri concert, but all went smoothly once the performance started two hours late.

The band performed Monday night for a near-capacity crowd at Dallas' 20,000-seat Starplex Ampitheatre. Lead singer Axl Rose arrived late, police said.

Rose told fans that the melee last week was blown out of proportion by the media. He also apologized for sound problems, which he blamed on equipment damaged in the riot.

Police Sgt. Jim Chandler said 41 off-duty officers, 10 more than usual, were hired to provide security. A private security firm provided additional guards, said Starplex general manager Larry Fontana.

Last week, about 3,000 of the 15,400 fans at the Riverport Amphitheater in Maryland Heights, Mo., went wild after Rose jumped off the stage and then stopped the show.

Angry fans threw bottles, uprooted chairs and demolished equipment. At least 64 concertgoers and 15 officers were injured. Subsequent shows near Chicago and at Bonner Springs were canceled.

At Monday night's concert, Rose told the audience he had jumped into the crowd at the Missouri concert last week "because the security was beating on some kid." At the time, authorities and witnesses had said he had gone after a concertgoer who was toting a video camera; cameras are barred at the concert. The concert's promoters today said that Rose's claim wasn't true.

'If he says that security was beating up someone, he's the only person who saw it," said Steve Schankman, president of Contemporary Productions. Also Monday, a man injured in the melee filed a lawsuit in St. Louis Circuit Court, seeking unspecified damages from Rose, the concert's promoters and the builder of the amphitheatre.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85695

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:17 pm

From Press-Telegram Wire Service, July 9, 1991:

GUNS N' ROSES CONCERT ENDS PEACEFULLY, DESPITE TARDY AXL

Guns N' Roses took to the stage - late - Monday night amid beefed-up security for the heavy-metal band's first show since a concert in Missouri last week turned into a riot. This one ended peacefully.

In a lengthy tirade between songs, lead singer Axl Rose said the melee last week was blown out of proportion.

"(The media) will tell you he (Rose) jumped on somebody in a crowd. (The media) won't tell you that he jumped into the crowd because the security was beating on some kid,'' Rose told the cheering crowd.

The band began performing about 10:15 p.m. to a restless crowd that had been awaiting the performers since about 8 p.m. The concert ended less than two hours later.

The delay apparently was caused by the absence of Rose, who didn't show up until minutes before the concert began, a police officer said.

Last week, about 3,000 fans at the Riverport Amphitheater in Maryland Heights, Mo., went wild after Rose jumped off the stage and fought with a fan with a camera. The crowd, angered because the six-member band stopped the show after the incident, threw bottles, uprooted chairs and demolished equipment. At least 64 concertgoers and 15 officers were injured.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:00 pm

Asked Kwick1 at mygnrforum if I could copy in her "review" of the show:

Kwick1 wrote:I think the '91 Dallas show is unique. The show was immediately canceled after St Louis and then was back on. Dallas had a curfew of 11 pm. Skid Row took the stage at 6 and played their set and left the stage. They came back out and played more which should have been the first indication something was wrong. Skid Row eventually left the stage for good. Baz saying he was sunburnt. At some point, I remember it being announced that Axl wasn't there and many people left. I was a broke law student and this allowed me to move seats to the really good seats. About 2 1/2 hrs after Skid Row left the stage GnR came on and it was rocky at first whether Axl would stay. Someone threw something at him which he responded something like, he would leave if it continued or he would stay and put on a rockin' show. It ended up being a great show. But only about an hour because the curfew.
my friends that stayed for the 2nd night show said the show started on time and was great playing for a couple of hours. I've always thought Axl didn't really want to be there but reading all the problems with sound, that must have had something to do with it since I don't think he or maybe any of them were even there until taking the stage.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:42 pm

Two MTV reports based on a review by Robert Wilonsky in Dallas Times Herald (I couldn't find the original review).

July 9, 1991:

Kurt Loder: ... review in Dallas Time Herald, Guns N’ Roses arrived on stage two hours late, after a couple of hundred people had, in Wilonsky’s words, left in disgust at the delay. According to Wilonsky, Guns frontman Axl Rose’s first words to the audience were, “If you throw anything, we’re gone. You’ve got a problem with that?” A bit later, Rose reportedly apologized for the sound, blaming it on the damage the band’s sound equipment had sustained during the St. Louis riot, and launched a 15-minute diatribe against the media and its coverage of that incident, which he said was sapping the band’s energy. They helped kill Jim Morrison with a lot less pressure, Rose said. The group offered no encores, and Rose’s last words to the fans, more or less, were “Thank you Dallas, F.U. St. Louis and God Bless America”. As for the music Guns N’ Roses played in Dallas last night, according to pop critic Wilonsky, it was “incredible”.

July 13, 1991:

Loder: After a riot at a concert near St. Louis last week and two subsequently canceled shows, Guns N’ Roses resumed their US tour in Dallas on Monday night, with a vengeance. According to Dallas Times Herald music writer Robert Wilonsky, the band was two hours late in taking the stage – not a totally unprecedented occurrence – and was vocally unhappy with its riot-damaged sound equipment. Nevertheless, the playing was hot, frontman Axl Rose sang like a man possessed and, overall, the music, according to Wilonsky, was incredible. Rose also offered an extended diatribe against the media, which he said had distorted the facts of the St. Louis riot, and then a statement released on Wednesday contended that a gang of rowdy bikers, uncontrolled by concert security staffers, was hassling fans in front of the stage at that show, which is what prompted Rose to jump into the audience. Nevertheless, one fan at the St. Louis show, Jerome Harrison, who claims he suffered neck and head injuries during the melee, filed his lawsuit this week against Axl Rose, various Guns N’ Roses roadies and local promoters and venue officials, charging among other things that security at the show had been inadequate, an assessment in which he was joined by Guns N’ Roses themselves. Unfazed by these assertions, the promoters of the St. Louis concert filed their own suit against Guns N’ Roses on Wednesday, charging that the group had violated its contractual agreement to refrain from conduct that knew would be provocative and dangerous to members of the audience.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by lipeguns Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:14 am

Just trying to transcribe Axl's speech before Double Talkin' Jive. All help is welcome! Thank You!  Wink

I apologize for the... the sound quality isn't up to par, but if you have a real problem with that you can go talk to fucking St. Louis. [...] What's up?

[...] "14 Years" [...] 60 minutes.

[...] what you said? More [...]? That's intelligent. It's hard to figure out you know why we get up on stage to do this? Because sometimes [...] and other times it takes sometimes all the physical fucking energy we got to get up here and do what we do, [...]. You know. So for the last few days [...] I'm watching CNN and I'm reading this shit and the St. Louis papers and other papers out I'm excited [...] are talking about and in the band they have a recovering heroin addict and once Axl Rose was seen driving down the street to Jeep Gilligan of 70s of his former wife. What the fuck does that new have to do with St. Louis? And, I had to realize that no matter what we did tonight, and how good or how bad we played that, no, probably one person in the press here that for some reason, didn't dig it. And he'll write about something else and go [...]. Now, wait a minute. At the same time where that won't have a whole lot of effect on Dallas, and it shouldn't have fuck with me. It fucks with the entire fucking thing called Rock and Roll in general. Because who, who are the main people that watch these news things and read this shit. They're all about, you know, they're all in their 40s to 50s You know, sitting there eating their fucking bran flakes and drinking their coffee. [...] I didn't know we all get fucking old you know, it's a fact of life unless you fucking die for you get there, you're gonna get old. But just 'cause you get old doesn't mean you have to deny young people their humanity. You know, it's like the school teacher [...] that watches Eddie Murphy and says fuck and everything else. But then he goes to school and some kid says "shit!" and then he gets whacked in the principal's office. What the fuck is that? And so now there's a lot of people reading these negative things about Guns N' Roses. And they don't know shit. I can't tell the difference from Guns N' Roses to work. With their kid likes Guns N' Roses is gonna get smacked in the head or something. Because in the paper, it said it was an evil thing. In that, that really makes me go fuck, what is the point? I'm telling you what the point is. The point is, is that we're up here. And what we're doing is something that is dying in America is something that's called. I mean, it's okay. It usually stays at an undergrad level, but it usually doesn't get as successful as Guns N' Roses and that's something called freedom of expression. Basically, that's all we fucking on Guns N' Roses is just a prime fucking example of freedom of expression. But there a lot of people that they want to deny that so basically, they're gonna say that Axl Rose lied about this, they lied about that, when actually they're gonna tell you half truths. They'll tell you he got a bite with a parking attendant. They won't tell you that 15 parking attendants jumped him and wouldn't let him into his own concert. You know? They'll just tell you he got a fight with a parking attendant. They'll say he jumped into the crowd on somebody. He won't tell you that he jumped into the crowd because security was beating the fuck out of in some kid. I thought that was America was supposed to be about standing up for yourself and standing up for each other. I thought that what the fuck America was supposed to be about. I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I guess I learned the wrong lesson. I guess I learned that I shouldn't kiss ass. I should do exactly what I'm told to do by somebody who doesn't know shit. And I said right, kiss ass with [...] arm so we can be successful and everybody will like it [...]. They helped kill Jim Morrison with a lot less pressure and according these people, I guess all I do is live we make up all our songs. I mean, once you the song as a joke, you know, it's just a joke. Don't take it seriously. But most of the time, these songs is something that we've dug real deep to find in ourselves. And when that gets denied, and you're told that you're full of shit, it makes it really hard to figure out how to carry the fuck on. So what am I? I'm I'm just a liar. I'm just full of shit. I just make up shit. I guess I'm nothing but a double talking Jive motherfucker.
lipeguns
lipeguns

Plectra : 1960

Soulmonster, ludurigan and Blackstar like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:37 am

Thank you, @lipeguns! I listened to the bootleg and tried to fill the missing parts in your transcript, also made some changes in some other parts according to how I heard them:

I apologize for… that the sound quality isn't up to par, but if you have a real problem with that you can go talk to fucking St. Louis. You know, we… What's up?

We had "14 Years" and now we’ve got 16 minutes.

[...] What did you say? More coke? That's intelligent... It's hard to figure out, you know, why we get up on stage to do this. Because sometimes it’s fun and other times it takes sometimes all the physical fucking energy we got to get up here and do what we do for a living - I ain’t knocking that. And so, for the last few days, you know, I'm watching CNN, and I'm reading this shit in the St. Louis papers and in other papers how I incited a riot. And then they are talking about, “And in the band they have a recovering heroin addict and once Axl Rose was seen driving down the street in a jeep yelling obscenities at his former wife.” What the fuck does that have to do with St. Louis?! And I had to realize that no matter what we did tonight, and how good or how bad we played, you know, there’ll probably be one person in the press here that for some reason didn't dig it, and he'll write about something else and he’ll write some lies.

Now, wait a minute… At the same time, while that won't have a whole lot of effect on Dallas, and it shouldn't fuck with me, it fucks with the entire fucking thing called rock and roll in general. Because who are the main people that watch these news things and read this shit? They're all about - you know, they're all in their 40s to 50s, sitting there eating their fucking bran flakes and drinking their coffee. And I ain’t knocking getting old, we all get fucking old. You know, it's a fact of life; unless you fucking die before you get there, you're gonna get old. But just because you get old, doesn't mean you have to deny young people their humanity. You know, it's like the school teacher that sits home and watches Eddie Murphy, and says “fuck” and everything else, but then he goes to school, and some kid says "oh, shit!" and then he gets whacked in the principal's office. What the fuck is that? And so now there's a lot of people reading these negative things about Guns N' Roses and they don't know shit. They can't tell the difference from Guns N' Roses to Warrant? When their kid likes Guns N' Roses he’s gonna get smacked in the head or something, because in the paper it said it was an evil thing.

And that really makes me go, “Fuck, what is the point?” Well, I’ll tell you what the point is. The point is that we're up here and what we're doing is something that is dying in America. It’s something that's called - I mean, it's okay, it usually stays at an underground level, but it usually doesn't get as successful as Guns N' Roses, and that's something called freedom of expression. And basically, that's all we fucking are. Guns N' Roses is just a prime fucking example of freedom of expression. But there are a lot of people that want to deny that, so, basically, they're gonna say that “Axl Rose lied about this,” “They lied about that,” when actually they're gonna tell you half-truths. You know, they'll tell you, “He got in a fight with a parking-lot attendant.” They won't tell you that 15 parking-lot attendants jumped him and wouldn't let him into his own concert, you know? They'll just tell you “He got in a fight with a parking-lot attendant.” They'll say “He jumped in the crowd on somebody.” They won't tell you that he jumped in the crowd because security was beating the fuck out of an innocent kid. I thought that’s what America was supposed to be about: standing up for yourself and standing up for each other. I thought that’s what the fuck America was supposed to be about. I'm sorry! I'm sorry that I guess I learned the wrong lesson. I guess I learned that I should kiss ass, I should do exactly what I'm told to do by somebody who doesn't know shit, and I should write kiss-ass [?] songs “so we can be successful and everybody will like it and sing it.”

You know, they helped kill Jim Morrison with a lot less pressure… And according to these people, I guess all I do is lie. We make up all our songs. I mean, we’ll tell you if the song as a joke or it’s…  you know, “it's just a joke, don't take it seriously.” But most of the time, these songs are something that we've dug real deep to find in ourselves. And when that gets denied, and you're told that you're full of shit, it makes it really hard to figure out how to carry the fuck on. So what am I? I'm just a liar, I'm just full of shit, I just make up shit. I guess I'm nothing but a Double Talkin’ Jive motherfucker!

Last edited by Blackstar on Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:36 am; edited 4 times in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

ludurigan and lipeguns like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:41 am

Axl was mainly referencing this article in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t3609-1991-07-04-the-st-louis-post-dispatch-bad-vibes
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by lipeguns Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:15 am

Blackstar wrote:Thank you, @lipeguns! I listened to the bootleg and tried to fill the missing parts in your transcript, also made some changes in some other parts according to how I heard them:

Thank you so much, Blackstar!
lipeguns
lipeguns

Plectra : 1960

ludurigan and Blackstar like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:05 pm

Thank you so much @lipeguns ! I added the transcripts to the relevant history section, too: https://www.a-4-d.com/t4995-13-july-november-1991-use-your-illusions-are-out-so-is-izzy#19558

Adding such quotes from stage adds flavor and color to the section. It is fascinating and makes the shows so much more real, in a sense. Since Axl stopped doing interviews it is also a valuable source for his thoughts.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:43 pm

Matt would tell an anecdote that possibly happened when the band was visiting Dallas in 1991:

They had security on us with fucking walkie-talkies and shit. We found a way around it. We had those guys. We had “Matt's asleep” [mimics radio static]. I'd hear that outside my door and then I'd go out the fucking balcony, over the next balcony. In Texas one time, I got in a cab and I paid the cab. She says, "Oh, great show tonight." I said, "You didn't see me. Here’s $100. I'm not in this car." And I said, "Take me to the closest hotel." I made sure it was a hotel with a minibar, so I went up there and I drank, passed out on the bed. Woke up with Doug Goldstein and John Reese standing in front of my bed. "Where do you think you're going?" (Laughs) "How did you find me?" "We paid them more than you paid them." And I'm like, "Holy fuck." I mean, it was all the way across Dallas, Texas.

Not really sure why Matt would bother to sneak away simply to drink out of a minibar, though.... Maybe the story also should have included drugs and hookers.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down