APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1991.07.08 - Starplex Amphitheatre, Dallas, USA

Go down

1991.07.08 - Starplex Amphitheatre, Dallas, USA

Post by Soulmonster on Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:06 pm

Date:
July 8, 1991.

Venue:
Starplex Amphitheatre.

Setlist:
01. Perfect Crime
02. Mr. Brownstone
03. Welcome To The Jungle
04. Bad Obsession
05. Live And Let Die
06. Dust N' Bones
07. November Rain
08. Civil War
09. Patience
10. You Could Be Mine
Godfather Theme
11. Sweet Child O' Mine
12. 14 Years
13. Double Talkin' Jive
14. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
15. Paradise City

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Izzy Stradlin (rhythm guitarist), Slash (lead guitarist), Duff McKagan (bass), Dizzy Reed (keyboards) and Matt Sorum (drums).

Next concert: 1991.07.09.
Previous concert: 1991.07.02.
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 52220

Back to top Go down

Re: 1991.07.08 - Starplex Amphitheatre, Dallas, USA

Post by Soulmonster on Tue May 06, 2014 1:19 am

Review from The Pittsburgh Press, July 9, 1991:

Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar on Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:14 am

Associated Press, July 10, 1991:

GUNS' TEXAS SHOW QUIET

Dallas police had riot gear ready for the heavy-metal band Guns N' Roses' first show since fans rampaged at a Missouri concert, but all went smoothly once the performance started two hours late.

The band performed Monday night for a near-capacity crowd at Dallas' 20,000-seat Starplex Ampitheatre. Lead singer Axl Rose arrived late, police said.

Rose told fans that the melee last week was blown out of proportion by the media. He also apologized for sound problems, which he blamed on equipment damaged in the riot.

Police Sgt. Jim Chandler said 41 off-duty officers, 10 more than usual, were hired to provide security. A private security firm provided additional guards, said Starplex general manager Larry Fontana.

Last week, about 3,000 of the 15,400 fans at the Riverport Amphitheater in Maryland Heights, Mo., went wild after Rose jumped off the stage and then stopped the show.

Angry fans threw bottles, uprooted chairs and demolished equipment. At least 64 concertgoers and 15 officers were injured. Subsequent shows near Chicago and at Bonner Springs were canceled.

At Monday night's concert, Rose told the audience he had jumped into the crowd at the Missouri concert last week "because the security was beating on some kid." At the time, authorities and witnesses had said he had gone after a concertgoer who was toting a video camera; cameras are barred at the concert. The concert's promoters today said that Rose's claim wasn't true.

'If he says that security was beating up someone, he's the only person who saw it," said Steve Schankman, president of Contemporary Productions. Also Monday, a man injured in the melee filed a lawsuit in St. Louis Circuit Court, seeking unspecified damages from Rose, the concert's promoters and the builder of the amphitheatre.
Blackstar

Plectra : 1855

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar on Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:17 am

From Press-Telegram Wire Service, July 9, 1991:

GUNS N' ROSES CONCERT ENDS PEACEFULLY, DESPITE TARDY AXL

Guns N' Roses took to the stage - late - Monday night amid beefed-up security for the heavy-metal band's first show since a concert in Missouri last week turned into a riot. This one ended peacefully.

In a lengthy tirade between songs, lead singer Axl Rose said the melee last week was blown out of proportion.

"(The media) will tell you he (Rose) jumped on somebody in a crowd. (The media) won't tell you that he jumped into the crowd because the security was beating on some kid,'' Rose told the cheering crowd.

The band began performing about 10:15 p.m. to a restless crowd that had been awaiting the performers since about 8 p.m. The concert ended less than two hours later.

The delay apparently was caused by the absence of Rose, who didn't show up until minutes before the concert began, a police officer said.

Last week, about 3,000 fans at the Riverport Amphitheater in Maryland Heights, Mo., went wild after Rose jumped off the stage and fought with a fan with a camera. The crowd, angered because the six-member band stopped the show after the incident, threw bottles, uprooted chairs and demolished equipment. At least 64 concertgoers and 15 officers were injured.
Blackstar

Plectra : 1855

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster on Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:00 am

Asked Kwick1 at mygnrforum if I could copy in her "review" of the show:

Kwick1 wrote:I think the '91 Dallas show is unique. The show was immediately canceled after St Louis and then was back on. Dallas had a curfew of 11 pm. Skid Row took the stage at 6 and played their set and left the stage. They came back out and played more which should have been the first indication something was wrong. Skid Row eventually left the stage for good. Baz saying he was sunburnt. At some point, I remember it being announced that Axl wasn't there and many people left. I was a broke law student and this allowed me to move seats to the really good seats. About 2 1/2 hrs after Skid Row left the stage GnR came on and it was rocky at first whether Axl would stay. Someone threw something at him which he responded something like, he would leave if it continued or he would stay and put on a rockin' show. It ended up being a great show. But only about an hour because the curfew.
my friends that stayed for the 2nd night show said the show started on time and was great playing for a couple of hours. I've always thought Axl didn't really want to be there but reading all the problems with sound, that must have had something to do with it since I don't think he or maybe any of them were even there until taking the stage.
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum