APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1988.06.01 - Seattle Center Coliseum, Seattle, USA

3 posters

Go down

1988.06.01 - Seattle Center Coliseum, Seattle, USA Empty 1988.06.01 - Seattle Center Coliseum, Seattle, USA

Post by Soulmonster Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:28 am

Date:
June 1, 1988.

Venue:
Seattle Center Coliseum.

Setlist:
01. It's So Easy
02. Mr. Brownstone
03. It Tastes Good, Don't It?
04. Rocket Queen
05. Sweet Child O' Mine
06. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
07. Welcome To The Jungle
08. Nightrain

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Izzy Stradlin (rhythm guitarist), Slash (lead guitarist), Duff McKagan (bass) and Steven Adler (drums).

1988.06.01 - Seattle Center Coliseum, Seattle, USA Rightarrow Next concert: 1988.06.03.
1988.06.01 - Seattle Center Coliseum, Seattle, USA Leftarrow Previous concert: 1988.05.31.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76206

Back to top Go down

1988.06.01 - Seattle Center Coliseum, Seattle, USA Empty Re: 1988.06.01 - Seattle Center Coliseum, Seattle, USA

Post by Blackstar Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:05 pm

Review in The Seattle Times, June 2, 1988:
MAIDEN HAS MELLOWED; IT'S 'NO NUKES' NOW

PATRICK MACDONALD

Iron Maiden and Guns N' Roses, last night at the Seattle Center Coliseum.

Incendiary report on the Iron Maiden concert last night at the Coliseum:

-- Showers of sparks - 6.

-- Pillars of fire - 2.

-- Huge explosions - 4.

-- Unauthorized detonations by the audience (unofficial) - 2 cherry bombs, half-a-dozen firecrackers.

That's nothing compared to what the band - and the audience - used to do. The end of the set used to sound like "Victory at Sea,'' with volleys of cannon fire that would knock you back on your feet.

They had about five cannon then; only two now.

Even heavy-metal bands have to mellow, apparently. Not only were there less fireworks than before, Eddie, the band's ghoulish mascot, who looks like a human monster with his skin torn off, appeared only twice: once as a harmless inflatable and, at the end, as a huge puppet holding what looked like a brain in its hand. The thing used to be the size of King Kong; now it's only a head and torso. The set was pretty chintzy, too. It looked like an arctic scene, with pillars of ice. You could see where it folds up.

The band even had Positive Messages. Lead singer Bruce Dickinson spoke in favor of safe sex, safe driving, sobriety and activism. He noted that we have nuclear subs cruising nearby waters - introducing the anti-nuke song "Two Minutes to Midnight'' - and urged people to watch them and study the issue. "Maybe somebody has to have them,'' he lamented, "but it's too bad anybody does.''

Maiden may be maturing in its old (for a rock band) age, but it has learned a lot in its 12 years and it showed. You've got to say this for the band - it is tight and it puts on a good show. The sound, the taped introductions and narrations, the lights, the special effects were all well done.

The English group's unrelenting headbanging rhythms, its sometimes bloody and often convoluted fantasy lyrics and its simplistic moralisms - "the evil that men do lives after them'' - are an acquired taste, but its young fans, who filled the Coliseum about two-thirds full, were energized and united by the admittedly impressive performance.

But Maiden had to put on a good show after the opening act, the hot-as-a-pistol Guns N' Roses, turned on the crowd with a powerful, swaggering performance that showed that GN'R may be the new kings of rowdy, bad-boy rock, replacing Poison.

The band reminded me of the Doors, not in its style of music but in its menacing, sexually charged energy and rebellious attitude.

Lead singer W. Axl Rose is a natural, with easy, liquid dance moves and a voice full of controlled fury.

Although his voice sounded raspy and raw, he actually had a lot of control and used it to good effect. And his songs, especially the graphic portrait of Los Angeles street life, "Welcome to the Jungle,'' and the slow-building blues-rocker, "Sweet Child O' Mine,'' had a searing, mean edge reminiscent of early Rolling Stones.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85486

ludurigan likes this post

Back to top Go down

1988.06.01 - Seattle Center Coliseum, Seattle, USA Empty Re: 1988.06.01 - Seattle Center Coliseum, Seattle, USA

Post by Soulmonster Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:34 am

Jerry Cantrell from Alice In Chains would remember being at this show:

When we were just getting Alice In Chains together, I actually went and saw Guns N’ Roses at the Seattle Center and I brought a demo tape down to give the band. I met Axl after the show, actually, and gave it to him, and as he was walking away, I saw him throw it away (laughs).
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:23 am

do you know if this version of "it tastes good" is the full-song version?
ludurigan
ludurigan

Plectra : 5296

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:27 am

"But Maiden had to put on a good show after the opening act, the hot-as-a-pistol Guns N' Roses, turned on the crowd with a powerful, swaggering performance that showed that GN'R may be the new kings of rowdy, bad-boy rock, replacing Poison.

The band reminded me of the Doors, not in its style of music but in its menacing, sexually charged energy and rebellious attitude.

Lead singer W. Axl Rose is a natural, with easy, liquid dance moves and a voice full of controlled fury.

Although his voice sounded raspy and raw, he actually had a lot of control and used it to good effect. And his songs, especially the graphic portrait of Los Angeles street life, "Welcome to the Jungle,'' and the slow-building blues-rocker, "Sweet Child O' Mine,'' had a searing, mean edge reminiscent of early Rolling Stones."

that was a fine description of 1988 GNR!
ludurigan
ludurigan

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:41 am

ludurigan wrote:do you know if this version of "it tastes good" is the full-song version?

Nope, sorry, no idea.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:41 pm

Soulmonster wrote:

ludurigan wrote:do you know if this version of "it tastes good" is the full-song version?

Nope, sorry, no idea.

Thanks man. Got so curious for this that I had to look for it. Just downloaded the gig and it is a (great) 40 seconds intro.

Axl basically starts singing the song by himself, Steven quickly joins in with the beat, and the band follows soon after with a few guitar chords and the bass parts.

It is pretty much the same chords and playing style from the full song version they played (I am not 100% sure of this date) on Jul 27 1988 at the Hilton Coliseum, in Ames, IA, USA.

This one = https://youtu.be/o7b94XUfn1A

So it is likely that June 1988 was the "It Tastes Good, Don't it month"

Looks like the band must have taken some time to write and arrange the full song during this month...

They apparently had it half-done for this Seattle June 1st show but probably not 100% finished.

And probably had no plans to play the full song. But Axl was probably very excited about it and started singing it anyway, since he was the one who "started" it (and the band followed).

Do you guys believe that it is possible that they tried the song in other shows in June-July 1988?

I love the full song live version and it would be very cool to listen to another (different date) full song live version!

There is a weird "studio" recording of it (here = https://youtu.be/fs2lqNFDsgg) which sounds really strange.

It has real weird arrangements.

It sounds like that "metallic" version of Ain't Going Down" that was recorded for the GN'R Pinball machine...

I wonder if this "studio" version was recorded for the GN'R Pinball machine as well and I also wonder who recorded this "studio" version and when...

Was it Axl, Izzy, Slash, Duff and Steven?

Was it in 1988?

Is there a "cleaner" version of it?

Mystery...

Very Happy
ludurigan
ludurigan

Soulmonster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down