APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1992.06.06 - Hippodrome De Vincennes, Paris, France

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1992.06.06 - Hippodrome De Vincennes, Paris, France

Post by Soulmonster on Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:20 am

Date:
June 6, 1992.

Venue:
Hippodrome De Vincennes.

Setlist:
01. It's So Easy
02. Mr. Brownstone
03. Live and Let Die
04. Attitude
05. Bad Obsession
06. Always on the Run
07. Double Talkin' Jive
08. Civil War
09. Patience
10. You Could Be Mine
11. November Rain
12. Sweet Child O'Mine
13. Welcome to the Jungle
14. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
15. Mama Kin
16. Train Kept A Rollin'
17. Don't Cry
18. Paradise City

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Gilby Clarke (rhythm guitarist), Slash (lead guitarist),Duff McKagan (bass), Dizzy Reed (keyboards) and Matt Sorum (drums).

Notes:
This was broadcast on worldwide TV as Pay-Per-View and also on FM radio stations. Special guest performances by Lenny Kravitz, Steven Tyler and Joe Perry. Jeff Beck was also scheduled to play Locomotive but he cancelled out because of problems with his hearing.

Quotes:
We did this one show in Paris where Axl got the idea in his head that we should have people come out to play with us to record it for a pay-per-view show on some global TV network. Axl got Aerosmith, Lenny Kravitz, Jeff Beck, and pulled this move that seemed almost gratuitous to me because they were my favourite artists - as you know by now, Aerosmith was my favourite band, Beck my favourite guitarist, and I'd been on Lenny's album [Slash's autobiography, "Slash", 2007, p. 351]

Next concert: 1992.06.13.
Previous concert: 1992.06.03.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:02 pm; edited 3 times in total
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 50091

Back to top Go down

Re: 1992.06.06 - Hippodrome De Vincennes, Paris, France

Post by Soulmonster on Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:24 am

I remember seeing this gig on pay-per-view. I was excited but I didn't really connect as much wit this bloated version of Guns N' Roses. I felt the band has lost something as they grew bigger. I don't think I reacted to the disconnection between the band members, I don't think it was oblivious to me back then, it was more that the GN'R I knew -- five guys playing recklessly and tight at smaller scenes -- had grown into this...orchestra and it didn't resonate as fiercely with me any more. Still, I was excited, it was Guns N' Roses.
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Re: 1992.06.06 - Hippodrome De Vincennes, Paris, France

Post by Soulmonster on Wed May 07, 2014 7:33 pm

Review in Los Angeles Times, June 8, 1992:

TV REVIEW : Vintage Guns N' Roses
June 08, 1992|STEVE HOCHMAN

"The feel-good band of the '90s," is how Guns N' Roses was introduced in its first pay-per-view TV concert on Saturday.

And, sure enough, half an hour into the band's set came one of those warm W. Axl Rose Moments, as the singer took time to lay into Warren Beatty in a verbal barrage that to most viewers must have seemed like it was beamed in from Venus instead of the Hippodrome of Paris, where the concert took place. (To explain, Rose has been linked with Stephanie Seymour, whose former links include Beatty.)

The thing is, as bizarre as the tirade may have sounded, everyone knew there would be one. There always is from Rose. His once-captivating unpredictability has become that predictable. Which means he's ready for prime time. And reduced to the small screen, the big GNR spectacle was just a step or two short of a rock 'n' roll variety show.

Sure enough, we got guest stars Lenny Kravitz and Aerosmith's Steven Tyler and Joe Perry (Jeff Beck, who had been scheduled, was said to be ill) and more outfit changes from Rose than you'd get from Cher.

Guns N' Roses played hard although perfunctorily in a set that didn't differ appreciably from the ones on last year's U.S. tour. The show was shot unobtrusively although unimaginatively and whatever editing that was done was fairly smooth. But it wouldn't have been inappropriate for everyone to gather on stage at the end and sing "Thanks for the Memories."
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum