APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1988.02.08 - Montezuma Hall, SDSU, San Diego, USA

2 posters

Go down

1988.02.08 - Montezuma Hall, SDSU, San Diego, USA Empty 1988.02.08 - Montezuma Hall, SDSU, San Diego, USA

Post by Soulmonster Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:20 pm

Date:
February 8, 1988.

Venue:
Montezuma Hall, SDSU.

Setlist:
01. It's So Easy
02. Move to the City
03. Mr. Brownstone
04. Out Ta Get Me
05. Sweet Child O'Mine
06. Used to Love Her
07. My Michelle
08. Rocket Queen
09. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
10. Welcome to the Jungle
11. Nightrain
12. Patience
13. Paradise City

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Izzy Stradlin (rhythm guitarist), Slash (lead guitarist), Duff McKagan (bass) and Steven Adler (drums).

1988.02.08 - Montezuma Hall, SDSU, San Diego, USA Rightarrow Next concert: 1988.02.09.
1988.02.08 - Montezuma Hall, SDSU, San Diego, USA Leftarrow Previous concert: 1988.02.06.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76206

Back to top Go down

1988.02.08 - Montezuma Hall, SDSU, San Diego, USA Empty Re: 1988.02.08 - Montezuma Hall, SDSU, San Diego, USA

Post by Blackstar Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:50 pm

Review in The San Diego Union, February 10, 1988:
Hard rockers 'crude, rude, rarely lewd'

Mikel Toombs
Toombs is a free-lance writer.

They may not exactly be deserving of bouquets, but Guns n' Roses shouldn't be shot down just yet -- no matter how appealing that prospect might seem to non-fans of the rough 'n' unsteady hard-rock band.

In fact, the Los Angeles-area musicians use their youthful wildness to their advantage, as they combine a bad reputation with often endearingly unpredictable song selection. It's no wonder that the band is the hottest discovery on the hip hard-rock scene today, an up-from-the-underground success story that managed to sell out Monday night's San Diego State University Montezuma Hall concert well in advance.

True to expectations, Guns n' Roses came out crude 'n' rude, although, intriguingly, given the level of its metal-minded peers, rarely lewd. It was a supremely sloppy show, as one might expect from a bunch that is notorious for putting drinking ahead of thinking.

Still, it was also an occasionally inspiring concert. Like so many other current bands -- including the Cult and Monday's opener, T.S.O.L. -- Guns n' Roses' roots are in the blues-based hard rock of the early '70s, but their interest in the form appeared to transcend trendiness. "I'd like to make my money being real," declared diatribe-prone singer W. Axl Rose, just one of the colorfully named characters in the quintet.

Part of Guns n' Roses' reality included frantic rockers like "Out to Get Me," which was fueled by paranoia and driven by adrenalin, and "My Michelle." The latter wasn't really enhanced by lead guitarist Slash's halting attempts at a prettified introduction, but it turned into a perfectly respectable speed-metal workout.

Equally respectable were the band's ballads, especially "Sweet Child of Mine," for which Rose rasped out a reasonably touching vocal and Slash wrenchingly delivered a sensitive solo to surprising effect. Less imposing were such tedious songs as "Move to the City" and "Rocket Queen," seemingly remnants of the forgettable heyday of hard-rock boogie bands like Mountain and Ten Years After.

"Tedious" was also a good summation for the opening set by T.S.O.L. Somehow spawned by the L.A. punk-rock movement in the late '70s, the veteran band actually had less punk energy than the headliners.

In fact, T.S.O.L. came closer to deliberately re-creating the blues-rock cliches of the late '60s. Still, at times, especially on a set-closing version of the Doors' "Roadhouse Blues," its slow-but-sure-handed approach worked reasonably well.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85486

Back to top Go down

1988.02.08 - Montezuma Hall, SDSU, San Diego, USA Empty Re: 1988.02.08 - Montezuma Hall, SDSU, San Diego, USA

Post by Soulmonster Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:33 pm

Slash mentions this show:

[…] there’s been a few gigs we’ve done, like in San Diego, where we had a gig where we came on late, we were really late coming on. And, you know, it was just one of those shows where I didn’t know what the next song was gonna be, because Axl was changing the setlist all around - we do that anyway, but sometimes it can be really inconvenient because it screws up pacing and stuff. So it was one of those shows where we basically stood around on the stage for, like, 45 minutes headlining, right? And the whole crowd was, like, confused trying to get into it.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76206

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down