APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2006.11.24 - Quicken Loans Arena, Cleveland, USA

Go down

2006.11.24 - Quicken Loans Arena, Cleveland, USA Empty 2006.11.24 - Quicken Loans Arena, Cleveland, USA

Post by Soulmonster on Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:30 pm

November 24, 2006 - Quicken Loans Arena, Cleveland, USA
Setlist:
01. Welcome to the Jungle
02. It's So Easy
03. Mr. Brownstone
04. Live and Let Die
05. Sweet Child O'Mine
06. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
07. You Could Be Mine
08. Street of Dreams
09. Better
10. Out Ta Get Me
11. November Rain
12. I.R.S.
13. My Michelle
14. Patience
15. Nightrain
16. Chinese Democracy
17. Madagascar
18. Paradise City

Date:

Venue:
Quicken Loans Arena.

Line-up:
Axl Rose: Vocals and piano
Richard Fortus: Rhythm guitarist
Bumblefoot: Lead guitarist
Robin Finck: Lead guitarist
Tommy Stinson: Bass
Frank Ferrer: Drums
Dizzy Reed: Keyboards
Chris Pitman: Keyboards.
Notes:
Axl referred to the opening band, 'Eagles of Death Metal', as "Pidgeons of Shit Metal". After the show, the singer of 'Eagles of Death Metal', Jesse Holmes, said, "When [Rose] called us the 'Pigeons of Shit Metal', Tommy Stinson took his bass off, threw it down and went, 'Fuck you, that's it!' to Axl. And then Axl picked his [Stinson's] bass up and threw it at [him]." This was later denied by Tommy (see quote below) and GN'R's management.

Quotes:
So how’d you like the PIGEONS OF SHIT METAL? Don’t worry, that’s the last show they’re playing with us. [On stage, 24 November 2006]
As a matter of fact, EAGLES OF DEATH METAL were a suggestion of mine a while ago. Turns out they were the wrong band for our crowd. They were booed and did not play for as long as they were scheduled to. As for all of the inaccuracies that have been said since, I would like to say that's all they are — inaccuracies. In the past I have thrown my bass. I have never thrown it at Axl or anyone else in the band nor has anyone thrown my bass back at me… yet. Axl has been a dear friend to me for nine years. We have no problem communicating and wish that people would stay the fuck out of shit they don't know anything about. There was no GN'R mutiny or any such thing after the Cleveland gig and as far as I'm concerned this tour has been the most fun yet. The band is playing great and getting along better than we ever have. With that said, either get on board or fuck off. [Blabbermouth, December 2006]
Being asked about the Pidgeons of Shit Metal incident: I sort of block that one out. [Vindy.com, December 2011]
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 56611

Back to top Go down

2006.11.24 - Quicken Loans Arena, Cleveland, USA Empty Re: 2006.11.24 - Quicken Loans Arena, Cleveland, USA

Post by Blackstar on Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:36 pm

From MTV News:

PIGEONS OF &#*! METAL? EAGLES OF DEATH METAL LAUGH OFF AXL'S OHIO RANT
ROSE LOSES PATIENCE WITH IRONIC METAL BAND ON ITS ONE AND ONLY NIGHT AS GUNS N' ROSES TOUR OPENERS.

GIL KAUFMAN
11/27/2006

The Eagles of Death Metal probably hadn't gotten the mustache wax unpacked from their suitcases before their maiden voyage on the S.S. Axl Rose hit an iceberg Friday. On the first night of what was supposed to be a three-week stint opening up for Guns N' Roses, the band was unceremoniously dumped from the bill after a chilly reception from the audience at the Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland.

Following a well-received set by tour opener Sebastian Bach, the Eagles took the stage and, according to John Soeder, pop critic for the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the band was met with "not deafening boos, but lots of grumbling and grousing and ... indifference."

While a handful of people were dancing along to the Eagles' good-time, sleazy garage rock, Soeder said it appeared as if the majority of the audience was not into it and was even a bit confused by the group. (Queens of the Stone Age singer/guitarist Josh Homme is a member of the Eagles, although he rarely tours with them and did not perform at Friday night's show.)

After a two-hour wait for the headliners, Rose came out and promptly dissed the Eagles, asking the audience, "So how'd you like the Pigeons of Sh-- Metal? Don't worry, that's the last show they're playing with us." And, just like that, the Eagles were tossed out of the nest.

The Eagles took the Rose kiss-off with their usual fistful of salt. "At first the audience refused to welcome us to the jungle, but by the time we took our final bow, it had become paradise city," reads a statement from the band released on Monday (November 27). "Although Axl tried to November rain on our parade, no sweet child o' mine can derail the EODM night train. We say live and let die."

"My impression was, and I don't want to belittle the GN'R fans, but they didn't really get the inside-joke quality of the Eagles ... or the facial hair," Soeder told MTV News about the handlebar-mustache look sported by Eagles singer Jesse "The Devil" Hughes.

"Axl seemed like he was in a bad mood," said fan Nate Harris, who attended the show. "One of the first things he did was kick out someone who was in one of the first few rows during the opening song. He came back to the 'Pigeons of Sh-- Metal' bit all set long." Harris said Rose also turned the sound man into a target, repeatedly glaring at him, and at one point calling him "useless."

"Sebastian Bach ... they ate up his hair metal hits from the '80s and the new stuff, which sounded like the old stuff," Soeder reported. "But the audience seemed to be confused [during the Eagles' set] as to who the joke was on. They like their metal unironic. Numerous songs slipped into falsetto, and if you're a purist heavy-metal fan, falsetto isn't good."

Harris concurred that the crowd bid the Eagles farewell with "a few boos, some spare applause, but definitely no cheering," and added that Axl concluded the night with a graceful thank you to the crowd for bearing with his bad day.

A spokesperson for Guns N' Roses did not return calls for comment and no announcement had been made at press time as to who will replace the Eagles. The band cancelled its Tuesday night (November 28) concert in Milwaukee due to Rose "suffering from an ear infection and strep throat," according to the band's Web site.
https://tinyurl.com/y8fkfklu

EAGLES OF DEATH METAL SQUAWK BACK AFTER LEAVING GUNS N' ROSES TOUR

FRONTMAN JESSE 'THE DEVIL' HUGHES SAYS AXL ROSE IS MERELY 'JEALOUS OF MY MUSTACHE.'

ARCHIVE-CHRIS-HARRIS
11/30/2006

Jesse "The Devil" Hughes realized something just wasn't right fairly early in the night of November 24.

Even before his band, the Eagles of Death Metal, took the stage at Cleveland's Quicken Loans Arena to open the first of what was supposed to be 15 North American dates on the Guns N' Roses tour, Hughes witnessed what he perceived to be an odd occurrence.

"I saw people booing the Suicide Girls," he said, referring to the inked and pierced goth pinups who served as one of the night's other openers. "A rock show booing hot naked chicks is not a rock show — it's a freak show. And now I'm just sorry we won't be touring with the Suicide Girls every day."

That's because on Friday, the Eagles of Death Metal exited the GN'R trek — after just that one performance — following an onstage rant by Guns frontman Axl Rose, during which he nicknamed the band "The Pigeons of Sh-- Metal" before informing his audience that the gig would be the Eagles' last on the tour.

"I've been really thinking about this because, to be honest with you, I don't know what happened," Hughes said from a recording studio in Los Angeles, where he's hanging out with Queens of the Stone Age, who are currently mixing their forthcoming LP. (Queens frontman Josh Homme, Hughes' high school friend, is a member of the Eagles, though he doesn't always tour with the band and was not present at the Cleveland show.) He thinks, perhaps, that Rose might be just a tad bit envious.

"I think he's just jealous of my mustache," Hughes said.

He is a bit more circumspect about the crowd's reaction to his band's straight-up but tongue-in-cheek hard-rock stylings.

"It had nothing to do with us," he said, referring to the boos that greeted the band's arrival. "That sh-- doesn't faze me, and we turned it around and we had a f---ing kick-ass show and we walked off the stage to a cheering crowd. When you're not the headlining band, you've got to win them over, which we did."

As for Axl's comments, Hughes insisted that GN'R bassist Tommy Stinson threw down his bass in disgust after Rose went off on the Eagles, and that Rose later fired a member of the GN'R crew. "When [Rose] called us the 'Pigeons of Sh-- Metal,' Tommy Stinson took his bass off, threw it down and went, 'F--- you, that's it!' to Axl. And then Axl picked [Stinson's] bass up and threw it at [him]."

GN'R's manager, Merck Mercuriadis, disagreed with Hughes' account. "There is no truth to either claim [that Rose fired a crew member or that Stinson threw down his bass] as evidenced by the fact that our crew remains identical to when the tour started almost six weeks ago, and to say Axl threw a bass at Tommy is pure fiction," he told MTV News. "The Eagles of Death Metal were asked to leave the tour not only because Guns N' Roses' audience hated them and tore them apart but because they could not handle the response. They were supposed to play a 60-minute set but left the stage after 42 minutes due to the hostile reception. The facts do not support the image they are trying to portray, which is why they are attempting to put this spin on it."

With this unexpected gap in the band's schedule, Hughes said the Eagles will take some time off for the holidays before heading to Europe in January for a run of gigs there. And he's not going to take Axl's snub to heart: He believes Rose had never heard his band before that night, and maybe their tongue-in-cheek rock was lost on him.

"I can't take this personally," he said. "I'm disappointed that Axl Rose presents himself as sort of a knighted person in the pantheon of rock and roll and behaves so poorly. People want to see him freak out. And that's just not the place for the Eagles of Death Metal."/

http://www.mtv.com/news/1546906/eagles-of-death-metal-squawk-back-after-leaving-guns-n-roses-tour
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 13398

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum