APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

You Could Be Mine

View previous topic View next topic Go down

You Could Be Mine

Post by Soulmonster on Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:20 am

YOU COULD BE MINE
Album:
Use Your Illusion II, 1991, track no. 12.

Written by:
Axl Rose and Izzy Stradlin.

Musicians:
Drums: Matt
     Bass: Duff
     Lead and Rhythm Guitars: Slash
     Rhythm Guitar: Izzy
     Vocals: Axl
     Background Vocals: Duff, Izzy

Live performances:
'You Could Be Mine' was played for the first time at Maracana Stadium, Brazil, on January 20, 1991. In total it has, as of {UPDATEDATE}, at least been played {YCBMSONGS} times.
Lyrics:
I'm a cold heartbreaker
       Fit ta burn and I'll rip your heart in two
       An I'll leave you lyin' on the bed
       I'll be out the door before ya wake
       It's nuthin' new ta you
       'Cause I think *we've seen that movie too

'Cause you could be mine
       But you're way out of line
       With your bitch slap rappin'
       And your cocaine tongue
       You get nuthin' done
       I said you could be mine

Now holidays come and then they go
       It's nothin' new today
       Collect another memory
       When I come home late at night
       Don't ask me where I've been
       Just count your stars I'm home again

'Cause you could be mine
       And your cocaine tongue
       You get nuthin' done
       I said you could be mine

You've gone sketchin' too many times
       Why don't ya give it a rest
       Why
       Must you find
       Another reason to cry

While you're breakin' down my back n'
       I been rackin' out my brain
       It don't matter how we make it
       'Cause it always ends the same
       You can push it for more mileage
       But your flaps r' wearin' thin
       And I could sleep on it 'til mornin'
       But this nightmare never ends
       Don't forget to call my lawyers
       With ridiculous demands
       An you can take the pity so far
       But it's more than I can stand
       'Cause this couchtrip's gettin' older
       Tell me how long has it been
       'Cause 5 years is forever
       An you haven't grown up yet

You could be mine
       And your cocaine tongue
       You get nuthin' done
       I said you could be mine
       You should be
       You could be mine

Yeah!

Quote:
We don’t do drugs - but we do drink a lot. A lot of the drug rumors about us started because we have a song called 'Cocaine Talking' on the album. But that song’s not about us or our experiences with the drug. If you listen to the lyrics, it’s about how all these nice young girls in L.A. can’t do anything before they do their coke. The song’s definitely not a pro-cocaine song. It’s about how the shit really fucks up your head [Hit Parader, October 1988]

Recounting the first preproduction session to Appetite for Destruction: We booked ourselves time at S.I.R. studios with Mike [Clink] at the board, the band felt free to be ourselves; at our very first preproduction session, we started writing what would later become 'You Could Be Mine.' (...) We weren't in there to write new material, but we were so comfortable that it just came to us [Bozza, Anthony, & Slash (2007). Slash. Harper Entertainment: New York. p. 166-167]

'You Could Be Mine' was another track that wasn't new: it was written during the Appetite sessions and I always felt that it should have been on that album, because it is more reminiscent of that time than anything else on the Use Your Illusion albums [Bozza, Anthony, & Slash (2007). Slash. Harper Entertainment: New York. p. 299]

The beginning of 'You Could Be Mine' has got feedback on it which sounds like more than one guitar, but it's just one guitar [Guitar For The Practising Musician, April 1992]

You Could Be Mine stands out because it represents my entry into Guns N' Roses. I remember I had this punk rock rolling beat at the top, and by accident I put that fill on. I threw it in because I was a huge fan of Terry Bozzio and he did that fill but about 10 million times faster [6 Career Defining Record of Matt Sorum, Rhythm Magazine, July 2009]

Talking about singing songs live: The first time I had to play 'You Could Be Mine' [live] my mind went "What have I done, I've gotta sing this now!" [TMS with Eddie Trunk, November 2011]

Talking about his favourite songs to play live: The [title] track to Chinese Democracy is one of my favorites, also "You Could Be Mine [LA Weekly Blog, December 2011]

That song, and Perfect Crime, we started writing when we were doing pre-production for Appetite. You Could Be Mine was one of Izzy's riffs, and as always with Izzy, he woulc play something and it would catch me ear, and I'd play along, but in my own sort of style. [...] That song didn't change at all [when they recoded it for UYI] apart from the fact that I used a tremolo bar [Double Vision, Total Guitar Magazine, July 2011].

I really always get a kick out of playing 'You Could Be Mine,' it is such a bass heavy, riff song, it is really fun to play [fanpass.tv, May 2014].

My favourite song to play is You Could Be Mine, that’s so fun to play as a drummer. It’s a lot of fun. That one’s like shifting in a car. You’re peeling out then hit a low gear, then you’re cruising. You have to shift the gears. It’s balls out [Music Radar, June 2016].

'You Could Be Mine' performed live in Tokyo, Japan, in 1992:

Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder!
Plectra : 48824

Back to top Go down

Re: You Could Be Mine

Post by Uli on Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:47 pm

Flashback: Guns N' Roses Meet the Terminator

In video for 1991's "You Could Be Mine," The T-800 targets Guns N' Roses for termination

"You Could Be Mine" was actually written around the time that Guns N' Roses recorded Appetite for Destruction, but they didn't start playing it live until early 1991. To promote the single, they shot a video in which the Terminator shows up at a Guns N' Roses concert to target the band for termination.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/guns-n-roses-meet-terminator-arnold-schwarzenegger-in-video-w473072
Uli

Plectra : 5374

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top