APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1987.09.29 - Markthalle, Hamburg, West Germany

Go down

1987.09.29 - Markthalle, Hamburg, West Germany Empty 1987.09.29 - Markthalle, Hamburg, West Germany

Post by Soulmonster Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:26 pm

Date:
September 29, 1987.

Venue:
Markthalle.

Setlist:
01. It's So Easy
02. Move to the City
03. Out Ta Get Me
04. Mr. Brownstone
05. Rocket Queen
06. Sweet Child O'Mine
07. Welcome to the Jungle
08. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
09. Paradise City
10. You're Crazy
11. Mama Kin

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Izzy Stradlin (rhythm guitarist), Slash (lead guitarist), Duff McKagan (bass) and Steven Adler (drums).

Notes:
Guns N' Roses' first concert in Germany and the fourth concert in Europe after the three dates in London earlier this year. This was the start of their European tour as headliners.

Quotes:
Slash: It was our first headlining tour; it began in Germany, at the Markthalle in Hamburg on September 29, 1987. It was great to headline, but we had a few issues. Faster Pussycat was one of those bands we hated from L.A.; they were exactly the kind of people we tried to avoid. The tour was also a bit of a culture shock: Hamburg still felt like it was a post-World War II casualty - the place had a pretty narrow viewpoint. It was dark, industrial, sort of sour city that seemed, as a whole, as if they'd rather not have us there if they could help it. That kind of environment always inspired us to show our true colors more than usual, which didn't go over well. Every time we'd walk into a restaurant, every head cranked around and the room got quieter. And when it did, we were all the more determined to order a bunch of drinks and smoke and carry on more than we ever would have in the first place. [...] The next night we did the gig, the first one of our headlining tour, and it's good that it didn't set a precedent. The venue was on the water; it was this really industrial, dark room with benches and long tables on the sides. Everything in there was painted black - it was the blackest club I've ever seen and it just reeked of stale beer [...]. The audience was without doubt the most lackluster crowd we had ever played to in our lives; as I recall, they were as cold and miserable as the weather. I remember that before we went on and the second we got off, the club played nothing but Metallica, nonstop. It was obvious that any American band, or any band at all, that didn't sound like Metallica wasn't going to go over. And I was right. We got through the show and the only thought going around in my mind when we finished was I would fucking hate to have to do this again tomorrow [Slash's autobiography, p 205-206].

1987.09.29 - Markthalle, Hamburg, West Germany Rightarrow Next concert: 1987.09.30.
1987.09.29 - Markthalle, Hamburg, West Germany Leftarrow Previous concert: 1987.09.17.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76232

Back to top Go down

1987.09.29 - Markthalle, Hamburg, West Germany Empty Re: 1987.09.29 - Markthalle, Hamburg, West Germany

Post by Soulmonster Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:57 am

Faster Pussycat would look back at playing in Hamburg:

There was a lot of partying going on, a lot of drinking going on. I remember we were in Hamburg, Germany, the first night and I took a walk down to the train station to try to find a pay phone to call America. And when I came walking back to the hotel I see … actually I didn’t see it at first, I heard it. But our drummer Mark was up on the sixth-floor balcony of our hotel room, pulling the drunk rock star thing, you know like throwing all the furniture off the sixth-floor balcony and tossing it into the subway station down below, creating this huge commotion. So when I got back to the hotel, the manager of the hotel had our band manager at our door and he had Mark there and basically what he was saying was either this guy leaves the hotel now or I’m gonna call the cops and you guys can all get kicked out.
Tom Beaujour and Richard Bienstock, Nöthin' But a Good Time: The Uncensored History of the '80s Hard Rock Explosion, 2021

It’s like, Dude, who goes to another country and fucking causes so much trouble that you can’t even get back into the hotel?
Tom Beaujour and Richard Bienstock, Nöthin' But a Good Time: The Uncensored History of the '80s Hard Rock Explosion, 2021

So Mark basically just walked away with a bottle of vodka in his hand. And I guess he ran into the Guns N’ Roses guys and then later they went up to one of Guns N’ Roses’ rooms. Mark was so fucked up that he passed out in one of the beds. And I guess Duff was trying to tell him, “Hey man, get the fuck out of the bed!” But Mark was just laying there, all drunk and shit. So finally Slash and Duff said, “Well, fuck this guy.” They took him and wrapped him up in duct tape, covered him in shaving cream, and they were in the process of carrying him down the hall to the elevator and they were gonna toss him in the elevator and hit “Lobby” and just leave him there. And I guess he kind of came out of his drunken stupor and he got his hands loose and he just started wildly swinging. I think he hit Duff in the face.

To my memory Duff and Slash took him down the elevator and dumped him in the street. And it was getting a bit cold. But I think he’d overstayed his welcome, shall we say.

And that was the first fucking night! We were laughing about it the whole tour. It was funny as fuck.

Steven would also talk about this incident:

[Recalling how the drummer from Faster Pussycat passed out in Duff's bed]: I couldn't understand it, but this made Duff super-pissed. Duff's the mellowest guy, but the booze could turn him into one mean mother. "Fuck this shit," he said. He wanted to play a practical joke on the guy, so he had me help him grab and tie the drummer's legs and wrists with duct tape. We taped all around his mouth and head too and we carried him to the hotel elevator. It was one of those really old lifts with the gate that you have to pull open. We threw him in, and at that point, I thought it was funny as hell.

Then Duff pressed all the buttons in the elevator, closed the door, and let him go. The next day at the show, Duff and I saw hi, bruised and very hungover. He avoided us completely, never uttering a word about the previous night.
Steven's biography, "My Appetite for Destruction", 2010, page 134-137

In May 1988, Creem Close-Up Metal would allude to an incident at the Reperbahn in Hamburg, but it is not clear if this is the same incident as the one described above, something else, or just exaggerations from Creem's side:

Guns N' Roses have landed the opening slot on Motley Crue's European tour, although they'll do well to avoid Hamburg's red-light district, the Reeperbahn, in their time off-considering the trouble they got into there last time!
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76232

Back to top Go down