APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1987.09.05 - Long Beach Arena, Long Beach, USA

2 posters

Go down

1987.09.05 - Long Beach Arena, Long Beach, USA Empty 1987.09.05 - Long Beach Arena, Long Beach, USA

Post by Soulmonster Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:59 am

Date:
September 5, 1987.

Venue:
Long Beach Arena.

Setlist:
01. It's So Easy
02. Anything Goes
03. Out Ta Get Me
04. Mr. Brownstone
05. Nightrain
06. Welcome to the Jungle
07. My Michelle
08. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
09. You're Crazy
10. Paradise City
11. Nice Boys

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Izzy Stradlin (rhythm guitarist), Slash (lead guitarist), Duff McKagan (bass) and Steven Adler (drums).

Quotes:
Duff: The next tour stop [after Seattle] where any people came early enough to see Guns play our set was at the Long Beach Arena; it was a homecoming show for us after not playing there much that year [Duff's autobiography, "It's So Easy", 2011, p. 128].

1987.09.05 - Long Beach Arena, Long Beach, USA Rightarrow Next concert: 1987.09.07.
1987.09.05 - Long Beach Arena, Long Beach, USA Leftarrow Previous concert: 1987.09.04.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76232

Back to top Go down

1987.09.05 - Long Beach Arena, Long Beach, USA Empty Re: 1987.09.05 - Long Beach Arena, Long Beach, USA

Post by Soulmonster Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:39 pm

From Raz' biography:

About two-thirds into Guns N' Roses' set, the free Heinekens caught up with me. I stashed my current Heineken on top of a stack of Peavey power amps and headed for the pisser. Just as I exited the restroom, the music stopped on a dime. Except for the murmuring crowd, the house was silent. I hurried back to the stage and almost bashed into an ultra-pissed Axl as he hit the bottom step. After he stormed past me, the rest of the guys were not far behind. I asked someone, "What happened?" Apparently, the PA had quit. Later, I heard someone from the crew guessing that a jealous Cult had ordered the sound guy to shut G N' R down.

Remember that Heineken I set on those power amps? Don't ever do that shit, because it might get knocked over. If beer spills into a power amplifier, not only must you procure more beer, a protect circuit will shut it down. From the stage monitor's failure onward, it was all a chain reaction toward a total PA failure. I almost fessed up later during a little after-show get-together inside an Embassy Suites room, but didn't want the party supplies cut off. Besides, G N' R were almost finished with their kick-ass set before... Oops! For those of you who attended the show, no worries. I managed to find another beer
[Raz Cue, "The Days of Guns, & Raz's", 2015, p. 248].
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

1987.09.05 - Long Beach Arena, Long Beach, USA Empty Re: 1987.09.05 - Long Beach Arena, Long Beach, USA

Post by Blackstar Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:10 pm

Ad in L.A. Weekly, August 28, 1987:

1987.09.05 - Long Beach Arena, Long Beach, USA 1987_033
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85695

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:20 pm

From the "L.A. Dee Da On The Streets" column in L.A. Weekly, September 11, 1987:

1987.09.05 - Long Beach Arena, Long Beach, USA 1987_034
And since Billy Duffy loves this column so much, here’s the dirt: Guns 'n' Roses are whining over the fact that the Cult supposedly pulled the plug on them at the Long Beach show on Saturday night. Billy claims that they are nowhere near desperate enough to stoop to such measures. So Firearms ’n’ Flowers are pouting until they see the alleged burnt-out fuse that shorted their set.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85695

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:41 pm

So I was watching GN'R from side stage and I got about five or six Heinekens in me and I decided to go take a piss. So I set my beer on top of the stack of power apps in a road case. And I'm in the bathroom and like GN'R's like rocking out and all of a sudden it's just silent, so I was like, "Fuck, let me go back out there." So I go out and right as I get there, Axl's like the first one off the stage, he's at the bottom step and he storms past me and then, like, the rest of the guys kind of straggle past. And I go to Steven, I go like, "What happened?" And it's like "I don't know, PA went out so his monitors went out." So I look and my beers are like sideways and, I guess, they spilled on the power app or something and it just caused like a chain reaction of like shutting down the circuit. And then later we were at the Suites, or whatever, those suites where we used to do drugs, where Nikki OD'ed, I can't remember... Embassy Suites, over in Hollywood, GN'R had, like, some rooms over there. We're hanging out drinking, doing maybe other stuff, and there's somebody, like, surmise that The Cult had cut the power to the PA because they were jealous with GN'R and I was like, "I don't think they did that, I think it was probably the..." But I didn't want to tell anybody- [...] I was like trying to let them know, don't be mad at the [?] Yeah, but somebody had got it into their head maybe like that The Cult was jealous and it was the GNR's home crowd, and that they had done that, and I was like sitting there, like, "Oh man, I got my favorite band in trouble" [...].
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

ludurigan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down